1 (edited by Tucker 2021-06-27 19:31:01)

Topic: Sliders Fanfiction by Tucker

ireactions inspired me to post my fanfics here so in case anyone is interested, I have a whole set.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/171b … sp=sharing

The way I framed mine was an alternate season 3. Episode 1 is Slide Effects which is NOT written by me. That is Ireaction's/Torme's story. Anyways, that resets the show back to after season 2. I keep a few season 3 episodes mainly Double Cross, Dead Man Sliding, The Guardian, Season Greedings and Murder Most Foul albeit you would have to assume they would happen slightly differently and have some slight changes to them. I already make it cannon that it's still set in Vancouver's San Francisco and they still have their season 2 haircuts and wardrobe lol.

To add in, I rewrote a few season 4 episodes with the original cast. Those would be Alternateville Horror, Lipschitz Live! and Roads Taken.

I also provided a rewrite of The Exodus which was closer to John Reye's Davies' idea for the story. That means no Rickman, Maggie and no Arturo dying.

I also have three pure original stories. How to Save a Life, Virtual Lucidity and Forgiveness.

I haven't written anything since May but I will continue to post if and when I write anything else. Read of them what you will. Hope you enjoy. Feel free to give any feedback if you like or dislike them.

Re: Sliders Fanfiction by Tucker

I really like most of Tucker's scripts. One of the things I wanted to accomplish with SLIDERS REBORN and failed to do -- I wanted to popularize the screenplay format for fanfic. Prose has never made sense to me for stories about TV characters. The screenplay format uses the language of television.

However, where I failed, Tucker may succeed because SLIDERS REBORN was really a novel written in screenplay format whereas Tucker's writing is more convincing as a teleplay. Tucker's scripts are filmable on a TV budget, even a low 1990s Sci-Fi Channel budget. Tucker's scripts could be filmed and aired within the length of a TV timeslot. Tucker's scripts convey the drama and characterization through onscreen action, actors conversing and physical interaction. Tucker's locations are achievable and filmable. Tucker's budgets are modest and workable.

"The Alternateville Horror" and "Lipschitz Live" under Tucker's keyboard are effective rewrites, presenting Quinn, Wade, Rembrandt and Arturo in these stories and infusing the poor Sci-Fi Channel era casting with the original charm of the true quantum quartet. Tucker's Arturo is a little too aggressive but it's still wonderful to imagine "The Alternateville Horror" with the Dominion Hotel and the *real* sliders facing the interdimensional ghosts. "Lipschitz Live" has a terrific presentation of Quinn, Wade, Rembrandt and Arturo reacting to a world of total TV and also cleverly addresses two bizarre plotholes from the aired version, neatly repairing the oddity of MacArthur Mallory (?) and the sliders nonsensically failing to recognize a friend as a double, simply through altering areas of characterization and adjusting some scene placements.

"Roads Taken" is the most satisfying with a love story that was written with Quinn and Maggie more appropriately reconfigured into Quinn and Wade's story, showing all the tentpole moments and critical scenes of a more conventional romance and marriage that Quinn and Wade don't get to have in their lives as sliders. Tucker creates a bittersweet longing with "Roads Taken," not just through Quinn and Wade experiencing a life they won't get to keep, but for the reader longing to see Quinn and Wade in this story.

The best of the lot is probably "The Exodus" where Tucker takes John Rhys-Davies' original plot of an Earth facing a cataclysm and survivors having to choose what to preserve for the next world. It's a striking counterproposal to the aired "Exodus." The self-important, bombastic, large scale pseudo-epic of "The Exodus" two parter is rejected. Instead, Tucker presents "The Exodus" as a small, personal story of ordinary people in a situation too big for any of them, surviving at the fringes of a larger and more disastrous global event, doomed to die until the sliders appear in the middle of the situation. The locations in Tucker's "Exodus" are limited within a tightly restrictive geography. This is what "The Exodus" should have been. SLIDERS is better when it is small and intimate.

Tucker is the future of SLIDERS.

Tucker wrote:

ireactions inspired me to post my fanfics here so in case anyone is interested, I have a whole set.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/171b … sp=sharing

The way I framed mine was an alternate season 3. Episode 1 is Slide Effects which is NOT written by me. That is Ireaction's/Torme's story. Anyways, that resets the show back to after season 2. I keep a few season 3 episodes mainly Double Cross, Dead Man Sliding, The Guardian, Season Greedings and Murder Most Foul albeit you would have to assume they would happen slightly differently and have some slight changes to them. I already make it cannon that it's still set in Vancouver's San Francisco and they still have their season 2 haircuts and wardrobe lol.

To add in, I rewrote a few season 4 episodes with the original cast. Those would be Alternateville Horror, Lipschitz Live! and Roads Taken.

I also provided a rewrite of The Exodus which was closer to John Reye's Davies' idea for the story. That means no Rickman, Maggie and no Arturo dying.

I also have three pure original stories. How to Save a Life, Virtual Lucidity and Forgiveness.

I haven't written anything since May but I will continue to post if and when I write anything else. Read of them what you will. Hope you enjoy. Feel free to give any feedback if you like or dislike them.

thanks for posting this, will check it out!

Hello! I certainly will be reading your stories soon.
Like you, I was also inspired to write my own stories just a little over a year ago due to the amazing writers here (also because I was first introduced to the show due to a college assignment).
Have you thought of sharing your work on Ao3 or FanFiction.net?
I'm sure others would love to read you works there as well! smile Just a thought.
Anyway, I can't wait to read your works! Have a great day.

Have you thought of sharing your work on Ao3 or FanFiction.net?

Yes, I have an account in both. You should find all of my works at Archive of our Own. I’ve been slow on posting on fanfiction.net. I don’t get much appraisal on either site but I’m glad to see when people take an interest in my work. Thanks smile. Can’t wait to hear what you think.

I really like Tucker's writing and everyone should read at least his rewritten "Exodus" story. It's an instant classic.

Tucker, is it hard for you to write stories set in 1996 - 1998, an era before you were even alive?

No, surprisingly enough, it isn’t that hard for me. I’ve always loved the older decades so I knew plenty of stuff about the 70s, 80s and 90s. Plus this is a show about parallel worlds so cultural references aren’t always needed.

As you know as well, my story Forgiveness was set in a world where the earth was happening as if it were 2016 and i was alive then so not that complicated.