Re: Reboots: The Return of Sliders (?), Quantum Leap, and Other Properties

I think it'd be great to get everyone back, but you only need Quinn.  JRD is almost 80 and almost certainly wouldn't survive the fall from the vortex smile  Rembrandt is a great character, but I don't see how he fits into a "next generation" scenario except in some kind of non-science mentor situation.  Wade is another great inclusion, but could easily be included in a line of dialogue (like Jane Foster in most Thor appearances).

JOC is almost the same age now that JRD was when Sliders started.  I think the most organic Sliders story is a version where Quinn, following in Arturo's footsteps, is a professor.  If you want the story to be a true reboot, you can have a Quinn that never fully developed Sliding (and his student, instead of Smarter Quinn, is the one who finally solves the equation).  If you want it to be a continuation, you have a Quinn that slid for a while, settled on an Earth and started teaching.  You can either have him having found home or not, but if he's not home, it would add motivation to his character.

If Quinn was a slider, the cameos are easy.  Quinn visits Wade (whether they're married or not) and tells her about his student.  She can either support it or not.  He could visit Arturo for his advice on such a similar situation.  He could visit Rembrandt to see what happened to him ("don't let anyone drive into the vortex").  It could be a scene with all four of them or three separate scenes).

If Quinn wasn't a slider, you could do a cameo kinda like the other group of survivors in Shaun of the Dead.  Have a group of Quinn, Arturo, Rembrandt, and Wade cross paths briefly with the new group.  Either way, if Quinn wasn't a slider, you'd need him to interact with a double that is shocked that he never slid in his younger years, and Quinn can learn that he's kinda the dunce of the multiverse.

But kinda like No Way Home, I'd make the references to previous continuity played off as humor or vague enough that it could apply to anything.

Quinn as Arturo is probably the easiest way to do it, but I actually convinced myself that "Rembrandt as the mentor" might also work.  Rembrandt jumps into the Seer vortex, gets to a close-enough Earth Prime, settles in, and has a family.  His son ends up being a Quinn-like scientist and develops Sliding.  Maybe the son discovers that Rembrandt never made it home and convinces Rembrandt to come along, or maybe Rembrandt comes along to protect his son.

But Rembrandt certainly has the experience to be the mentor character and could be a good source of knowledge.  You'd get a Quinn appearance via Rembrandt tracking him down for advice.

242 (edited by Grizzlor 2021-12-28 16:33:55)

Rhys-Davies, despite what "Annie Fish" assumes, is NOT in the pitch.  Tracy pretty much admitted that in one of the Cardinal shows, saying he would love to have him show up at some point.  Basically if the show were revived, you could bring him back as the "lost/real Arturo," pitches in to get them out of a fix.  Rembrandt likewise may simply only be there for a period of time.  As you say, it's tough to have these old farts getting dropped out of wormholes.  Jerry is in great shape though.

Initially I would have to assume that yes, Quinn becomes the Professor, but also unwilling traveler like Rembrandt was.  Likely still has grief and fears from death of Wade, which is what caused him to stop Sliding.  However, Tracy did not obviously state whether the group missed the Sliding window on purpose or not.  But that the new window (29.7 years later or whatever) was about to happen.  i.e. nobody "reinvents Sliding."  Obviously that's not as dramatic.  But keeps in line with Torme's concept of black comedy instead of dark drama.  There's a number of ways to get Quinn and perhaps an offspring and friend into that wormhole again.

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

I think it'd be great to get everyone back, but you only need Quinn.

I'd agree with that.

The thing about a film like THE MATRIX RESURRECTIONS: everyone who would go to a movie theatre or pull up a streaming service knows who Neo and Trinity are. While Quinn, Wade, Rembrandt and Arturo are as significant to *me* as Neo and Trinity and Captain Kirk and Sherlock Holmes, that's not the case for the average TV viewer.

I can't help but wonder if these difficulties would make a clean reboot preferable to what Torme seems to want which sounds a bit like HALLOWEEN doing a requel that ignores all sequels but the first. In Torme's case, he would probably consider everything after "The Guardian" to be the unwanted sequels.

I'd agree with Grizzlor that unless Torme is being guarded, he does not see John Rhys-Davies being a series regular in his revival and he doesn't expect Sabrina Lloyd to be involved, although I'm sure he would find a way to get them in if they were available, and that's assuming there even is a SLIDERS revival or that NBCUniversal wouldn't just hire someone other than Tracy Torme to produce a SLIDERS reboot. They can do that. If Lana Wachowski hadn't been inspired to make THE MATRIX RESURRECTIONS, Warner Bros. would have hired someone else to make a new MATRIX movie.

Yeah, not only is Quinn not a draw, I don't think Jerry is a draw.  And Jerry is easily the biggest draw of the cast.  If Jerry's movie career had taken off like he wanted, maybe.  But if you go to his Wikipedia page, it still lists Sliders first.  If Quinn isn't a draw, Jerry isn't.

If there's a draw to Sliders, it's nostalgia from people who remember the show on any level or the premise (since the multiverse is as in as it may ever be).  I would imagine a Sliders series with Jerry O'Connell as Professor Mallory would do just about as well as a Sliders series with ireactions as Professor Mallory.  I just think the people that would would watch for Jerry alone would be negligible.

I still think the best bet for the show is with Jerry as a champion.  Jerry is bigger than, say, Richard Hatch.  Hatch worked for decades to get a revival of Battlestar Galactica and eventually it worked...just not in the way he wanted.  Jerry wants it, but does he want it enough to be that guy?  And would he care enough if he knew that he might get Sliders back and be cast as Michael Mallory?

Most series these days do not rely on a "draw" anymore.  Jerry was the kid from Stand By Me and JRD was the guy from Raiders of the Lost Ark, when Sliders premiered.  Most streaming series don't have a single actor you have heard of before.

A pondering.

I find that there are certain factions of SLIDERS fandom that are incredibly contemptuous towards SLIDERS and its hypothetical future because their fondness for SLIDERS never equals their priority to be 'cool.' This is something Temporal Flux has described as fandom always gravitating to "shiny objects" and "beautiful people" rather than insight and information. Such fans -- and they are fans and delightful people -- are more interested in cultivating their 'cool' image in relation to SLIDERS than they are in SLIDERS itself. They define that 'cool' in relation to SLIDERS by declaring that SLIDERS was always worthless trash, they express how they are unaffected by SLIDERS, unimpressed by SLIDERS, unmoved by SLIDERS, and view SLIDERS something to mock and disdain.

Here's the thing: being a fan of SLIDERS isn't 'cool'. (I'm stealing this from my political frenemy, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, a liberal in name only.) Being a fan of anything isn't 'cool'.

'Cool' is being indifferent, uninterested, unaffected by external forces like the SLIDERS TV show. 'Cool' is being dismissive and disdainful. Being a fan of anything isn't 'cool'.

Being a fan of SLIDERS is to be sincerely and earnestly engaged with the format of 1990s television and with the specific brand identity of SLIDERS: the characters, the actors, the production model, the behind the scenes circumstances, and being intrigued and interested in how those concepts, characters, actors and production goals might be translated to the modern day.

Being a fan of SLIDERS is to contemplate and dream of what this show would be if it came back today and to know that the odds are not great, but to still find that potential worthy of discussion and consideration. It is a choice to be emotionally invested, to express love and admiration for the sliders, the timer, the vortex, the costumes, the scripts, the world-building -- and some people don't operate on that wavelength. Being a fan of anything isn't 'cool', it's joyful.

Joyful fans are not concerned with "shiny objects," "beautiful people" or being 'cool.' Joyful fans aren't concerned with their image. Such fans approach SLIDERS with a fondness for SLIDERS episodes and love for the sliders.

Look at Grizzlor's photos when he's with Kari Wuhrer or Cleavant Derricks. Is Grizzlor preening for the camera? Anticipating getting to brag? No. He is thrilled and happy to meet these people and to take a brief moment to thank them for how they touched his life. That's a joyful fan.

Yeah, that third dose of Moderna is really hitting my brain right now.

Grizzlor wrote:

Most series these days do not rely on a "draw" anymore.  Jerry was the kid from Stand By Me and JRD was the guy from Raiders of the Lost Ark, when Sliders premiered.  Most streaming series don't have a single actor you have heard of before.

Yeah and that's why I don't think it makes sense for *any* of the cast to return.  If Universal sees value in the Sliders brand following all the multiverse stuff, they should just do a straight reboot.  Hire a bunch of no name actors and don't bog the writing staff with a bunch of prior continuity.  And they can fill the cast with younger actors to try and draw in a younger audience instead of a cast that was young-ish 25 years ago.  You do need a mentor figure if you're going to follow the original formula, but there's no reason to hire Jerry unless the see value in Jerry.  You could just as easily hire Kelsey Grammar, who was allegedly a fan of the original series, would be a bigger draw, and probably makes for a better Arturo.

Shoehorning in cameos from the ghostbusters makes sense, but I think even those-level cameos would be a distraction for any audience that might check it out.

I'd love to get a passing the torch movie with the original cast, or at least an Afterlife-style sequel with cameos.  But, honestly, it doesn't make as much sense.  Trying to sell it as something new (a la Battlestar Galactica) with an all-new cast makes the most sense.

Many of the reboots have at least some of the old cast.  The Sex And The City reboot has most the stars of the original.  Dexter: New Blood has Michal C Hall.  Cobra Kai has Ralph Macchio.  Gossip Girl, Saved By The Bell, Mighty Ducks: Game Changers, ICarly, and more have returning cast members from their age-old source material.

To be fair, those shows/movies were big hits and had massive audiences. :-)

I'd love for Torme's revival to happen, but I honestly can't find fault with anybody who thinks a clean reboot would be better. And while I have a lot of problems with NBCU, I wouldn't take issue with them deciding that Tracy Torme's idea is crazy and they are going to hire the Wachowski sisters to reboot the series and cast Allisyn Ashley Arm (Heather from AP BIO) as Quinn Mallory.

pilight wrote:

Many of the reboots have at least some of the old cast.  The Sex And The City reboot has most the stars of the original.  Dexter: New Blood has Michal C Hall.  Cobra Kai has Ralph Macchio.  Gossip Girl, Saved By The Bell, Mighty Ducks: Game Changers, ICarly, and more have returning cast members from their age-old source material.

ireactions wrote:

To be fair, those shows/movies were big hits and had massive audiences. :-)

I think we need to remember that Sliders was a cult hit that was cancelled after almost every season.  It has very little pop culture relevance as a whole - there's some - as we point out a lot here, there's a bunch of references in Sci-Fi.  But the reason that there hasn't been a Sliders reboot/sequel is that the studio sees no value in it.  If there was an audience, they'd make it.

Now, it did have enough juice to have a Kickstart or Die video made about it, and it was the number one viewed video they did (over Wings, Darkwing Duck, Dinosaurs, and Family Matters) but there wasn't enough juice then either.

I think you're all right, even those of you who disagree with each other.

I don't generally feel that my father has his finger to the pulse of popular culture. Auto parts, YES. TV and film, no. This one time, after watching THE LINCOLN LAWYER, he said he missed the funny girlfriend (Marisa Tomei) from MY COUSIN VINNIE and that she hadn't done anything he'd seen since. I said we just watched her; he asked when? I said she was the commanding ex-wife of the Lincoln Lawyer in THE LINCOLN LAWYER.

I casually mentioned COBRA KAI and he expressed astonishment that somebody actually made a TV show about two middle aged men arguing about dumb crap that happened between them in high school and urgently asked me to help him get Netflix specifically so that he could watch COBRA KAI and enjoy the continuing adventures of two former high school classmates in their 50s and 60s grumbling about who slighted whom at a high school dance.

Just to see what would happen, I mentioned SLIDERS and he didn't know what I was talking about. There's a point to this, I just don't remember what it was.

Here's a thing folks, the ONLY legit attempt at a reboot/return is this latest one from Tracy.  Nobody else has attempted it, which is incredulous but there it is.  Not really counting Jerry's flimsy attempts.

Always nice to see us make a list:

https://gamerant.com/90s-sci-fi-tv-seri … -stargate/

254 (edited by QuinnSlidr 2022-01-03 23:24:39)

TemporalFlux wrote:

Always nice to see us make a list:

https://gamerant.com/90s-sci-fi-tv-seri … -stargate/

I really wish critics would stop drawing comparisons between Sliders and Quantum Leap, because there are no comparisons to be made.

I love both series, but both have fundamentally different concepts.

I have watched every series on that list above several times over. Except for Farscape.

255 (edited by Tucker 2022-01-07 21:00:34)

There are few comparisons between Sliders and Quantum Leap but they're flimsy at best.

They both ran for five seasons

Both shows finished without their protagonists getting home

Rickman's like a really bad attempt at the Evil Leaper storyline from season 5 of Quantum Leap

And the fan theory that Maggie Beckett might be Sam Beckett's neice.

But you're right. Other then that. That's about it.

Oh and they both involve sci-fi concepts.

Quantum Leap is horizontal, moving to different points along the same timeline.
Sliders is vertical, going to the same point in different timelines.

Assuming you view time as a horizontal line, that is.

That description was perfect. :-)

Yes it is, and moreover 25 years ago, most of the QL audience (like myself) wound up easy Sliders fans too.

well.

https://deadline.com/2022/01/quantum-le … 234912430/

Golly! Great news for QUANTUM LEAP fans. I hope the series gets picked up and is a huge success. I hope that it stirs warmth and joy in old fans who have waited so long for their show to return while bringing a new generation of viewers to the adventure and mystery and fun of Project Quantum Leap. I hope their fan communities aren't suddenly beset by miserly whining about how a QUANTUM LEAP revival means that someone won't be able to sell their rebranded QUANTUM LEAP fanfic as original work.

261 (edited by QuinnSlidr 2022-01-14 11:43:47)

What's also interesting is that the Quantum Leap reboot will be managed by another time travel series' co-showrunners: La Brea.

I love that show (La Brea). Fun times. I really really hope that Scott Bakula returns and we get some sort of cameo in the form of a deep fake version of the late Dean Stockwell as Al.

almost any IP can be revived with a trusted, prominent showrunner.

The interesting thing is that the “in your own lifetime” rule for time travel may bite them a bit.  They can’t really have a younger lead if they want some reach

Sam Beckett was depicted as 36 years old when he started leaping.  If they followed that template, the furthest back in time they could go right now is 1986.  If they used Sam’s daughter, they would have a 55 year old that could hit 1967 right now.

Of course, Mark Harmon was 51 when he started NCIS in 2003, so Bellisario isn’t shy about casting older leads.

TemporalFlux wrote:

The interesting thing is that the “in your own lifetime” rule for time travel may bite them a bit.  They can’t really have a younger lead if they want some reach

Sam Beckett was depicted as 36 years old when he started leaping.  If they followed that template, the furthest back in time they could go right now is 1986.  If they used Sam’s daughter, they would have a 55 year old that could hit 1967 right now.

Of course, Mark Harmon was 51 when he started NCIS in 2003, so Bellisario isn’t shy about casting older leads.

Ahhhhhh yes, but there are circumstances in which time travel to the 1800s is possible through a genetic loophole: such as was revealed in one Quantum Leap episode.

I can't help but think that the lifetime rule is something that could be set aside with a couple lines of technobabble if it's a problem.

What we should worry about, what should take full priority and requires the total force of our concentration: what of the QUANTUM LEAP novels? There were 18 QUANTUM LEAP novels, 16 of which were published after the cancellation of the TV show and the hastily re-edited season finale turned series finale. The final novel in the series was MIRROR'S EDGE, which sought to recontextualize the unintended/re-edited series finale, "Mirror Image." The QUANTUM LEAP book license did not permit authors to write stories set after the final episode, but MIRROR'S EDGE attempts a loophole by taking place immediately before "Mirror Image" and attempted to recontextualize the last episode.

https://quantumleap.fandom.com/wiki/Books

How will they be integrated into the revival? How will the implications of MIRROR'S EDGE on "Mirror Image" be taken into consideration? Do we need to print off some labels with LEGENDS on them to tape onto the QUANTUM LEAP books?

(Never read them. Only ever saw two episodes of the show. Just happy for the fans!)

(And looking on at a distance, my heart swelling with joy for those who have hoped for more leaps and dreamed of more adventures while also feeling my own bittersweet longing for Quinn, Wade, Rembrandt and Arturo... )

(And pondering if perhaps in this QUANTUM LEAP revival, we'll meet Sam's niece, Margaret Allison Beckett, to be played by Kari Wuhrer.)

(Hey, this means REWATCH PODCAST has to go back to reviewing QUANTUM LEAP!!!)

The only QL novel I limped through was Prelude which was meant to explain how Project Quantum Leap started and what led Sam to step into it.

It’s been awhile since I even thought about this, but I remember it including an assassination attempt on Sam as he was originally attempting to build the Project.  The resulting shot to the head is what gave him the white forelock, and a piece of Sam’s brain was extracted during the surgery to save his life.  The piece was preserved and later used, along with a nerve from Al’s arm, to create the A.I., Ziggy. That was why Al and Sam were the only ones who could see each other in the past - they were connected through their donations to Ziggy.

Without the connection, I guess Sam is now like the DC Comics character Deadman.  Deadman inhabits the body, but no one ever sees Deadman.

———————————

My personal theory about Quantum Leap (based on thoughts in the final episode) is that the machine entangled Sam with what many call a guardian angel.  During those times in life where you face great adversity and you look back and wonder how you ever got through that?  It’s because an angel inhabited you and helped you through.  The angel was probably trying to help Sam when he turned on the machine, but that first leap fused them together and caused everything related to no longer work like it’s supposed to.

The same applies to the later introduced “Evil Leaper”. We’ve all heard of demonic possession.

Interesting. Someone actually sliced open their copy of the out-of-print QUANTUM LEAP: PRELUDE novel and put it online in PDF. Maybe you can make it through this time!

https://freepdfhosting.com/462bcfc5ee.pdf

I have never seen the show and I can't remember Tom and Cory's summary. Were the Evil Leapers part of the same QUANTUM LEAP product, or was there a competing time travel experiment that may have been co-opted by demons the way Sam's was co-opted by an angel or fate or God?

Hope QL gets picked up. If Slideheads can't get our show back, we can at least be happy that Leapers got their show back.

Quantum Leap is one of the marquee titles in the Universal TV library whose reboot has been a priority for years and has been attempted multiple times to date.

This particular iteration had been kept largely under wraps but Bakula last fall told the late Bob Saget on his podcast that there were “very significant conversations” about a Quantum Leap reboot.

“The rights were a mess for years. I don’t know if they’re even sorted out now. That’s always been the biggest complication,” he said back then. Bakula added that he had spoken occasionally to series creator Bellisario over the years about a potential comeback, “and he would always say, ‘I can’t write it without thinking of you and Dean.’”

Pulled that passage from the Deadline article, and frankly you could easily swap Bakula/Quantum Leap for O'Connell or Torme/Sliders.  The rights have been a mess, for sure, with Bellisario I'm sure feeling entitled to the property as Tracy has, and Universal TV being a disaster.  For the execs who asked him, "why Sliders now?," well here you go.  IF QL can prove to be a success, one would think Sliders HAS to be next on the board.  While Tracy is not quite a "picture of health," he's at least willing to be involved whereas Mr. Bellisario is 86 and I highly doubt he will have a contribution.  Heck even Bakula has no idea if he's being written in.  I will say NOT including Scott as Sam, or recasting Sam Beckett a la MacGuyver, will be a huge disservice to the fan base.

Well, with MAGYVER, Richard Dean Anderson thought the reboot was garbage (and it did take about half a season to figure itself out). He refused to be involved with the MACGYVER reboot despite the intense wish that he join the show either as MacGyver 2016's father or mentor. In QUANTUM LEAP's case, Scott Bakula is clearly very keen to be involved in any capacity. As for Bellisario -- I assume he shows up at the office to collect his royalty cheques at minimum.

A glimpse of where the new Quantum Leap is going:

https://thathashtagshow.com/2022/02/03/ … ap-reboot/

Looks like a little more focus on the support staff in the future.  Also looks like Addison will be the Al type character

And the first leap, at least, is to the late 80’s; so it looks like they are limiting themselves more than they should, in my opinion.

Dear QUANTUM LEAP reboot writing staff.

Please hire Temporal Flux.

TemporalFlux wrote:

A glimpse of where the new Quantum Leap is going:

https://thathashtagshow.com/2022/02/03/ … ap-reboot/

Looks like a little more focus on the support staff in the future.  Also looks like Addison will be the Al type character

And the first leap, at least, is to the late 80’s; so it looks like they are limiting themselves more than they should, in my opinion.

This site is being flagged by Malwarebytes as having a trojan.

Dear Microsoft Security Team:

Please do not hire Temporal Flux. He has QUANTUM LEAP pitches to work on.

ireactions wrote:

Dear Microsoft Security Team:

Please do not hire Temporal Flux. He has QUANTUM LEAP pitches to work on.

lol

I FINALLY got onto the live chat for The Prisoner with Cardinal Sin and friends including Mr. T.  At the end I asked about the Sliders Convention.  Tracy reiterated that it would be in June in Long Island, and that Cleavant Derricks had signed on.  Figured JRD would definitely come, and still thinks Sabrina Lloyd lives in Africa!  I corrected him on that.  Said he wasn't sure if Jerry had been asked or agreed yet.  The whole thing remains pretty odd to me, that it remains so unconfirmed, but he said he'd try to have more info for the next time.

So where does Sabrina now live? yikes

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada. Her address is -- well. You don't need to know that!

ireactions wrote:

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada. Her address is -- well. You don't need to know that!

That's good news! Glad she is back in some capacity.

Jerry O’Connell on Sliders starting around 31:50

https://youtu.be/iB3QuZrcZ5g

If Quantum Leap does well, Sliders could start moving forward.

But from what I'm reading, not holding my breath on QL

Speaking of QL reboot news:

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/quantu … 235196426/

Ernie Hudson taking up part of what Al used to do.  Don’t think he’ll be the hologram, though

https://deadline.com/2022/03/quantum-le … 234973289/

Al was the military liaison.

I keep posting QL news here because it could be an insight into how Universal would treat a Sliders return.

Who would be in a position to tell you not to? Haha!

I really hope QUANTUM LEAP fans get everything they want and need from a reboot.

So what amounts to the Al role (the hologram) is going to Caitlyn Bassett - a former Australian sports star?

https://deadline.com/2022/03/quantum-le … 234974313/

TemporalFlux wrote:

So what amounts to the Al role (the hologram) is going to Caitlyn Bassett - a former Australian sports star?

https://deadline.com/2022/03/quantum-le … 234974313/

could be a diffferent caitlin basset?

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm7000196/bio … _ov_bio_sm

287 (edited by QuinnSlidr 2022-03-10 11:55:22)

I'll give the new QL a chance. Especially with reports that Scott Bakula is very interested in coming back.

I just have very mixed feelings about any of the Sliders original cast being replaced again. It was tough going through the episode rewatches but I did.

I hope at least Jerry, JRD, and Cleavant are signed on at the minimum. Hoping for Sabrina too in a very far from reality last-minute miracle.

Pleeeeeeeeease don't bring back Kari Wuhrer.

To me, it's an insult if they don't bring Bakula back...

For Sliders, if you are trying to do a new or younger cast but don't honor / have the original characters, that is an insult as well.  However, the folks at these networks dont really care about our beloved characters and can force any showrunner's hand.

289 (edited by QuinnSlidr 2022-03-11 05:03:04)

RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan wrote:

To me, it's an insult if they don't bring Bakula back...

For Sliders, if you are trying to do a new or younger cast but don't honor / have the original characters, that is an insult as well.  However, the folks at these networks dont really care about our beloved characters and can force any showrunner's hand.

I totally get where you're coming from.

I really hope they don't take that path with Sliders. I hope they take a similar path like Star Trek Picard is doing. I'd definitely watch that. Especially with Jerry back.

Wouldn't it be cool if Quinn Mallory and Marty McFly interacted?  Would love to see those two universes collide.  Them working together would be awesome..

Among the many missed opportunities with SLIDERS: it never did crossovers. For cross-marketing purposes, SLIDERS should have crossed over with every single Vancouver-filmed show on the FOX Network and every LA-filmed series on the Sci-Fi Channel. It never did and it's a huge waste of potential. SLIDERS should cross over with every NBCUniversal property.

I was recently watching HOW I MET YOUR FATHER, a soft-revival of the seminal sitcom HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER. While set in the same continuity and in the same city and using all-new characters and using a beautiful remade instrumental of the opening theme, HOW I MET YOUR FATHER is a bland, empty, vacant, soulless photocopy of the original series. HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER, while 'just' a sitcom, was an extremely daring series. Its storytelling deliberately stretched it timespan over decades, attempting to set up plot points that wouldn't pay off for seasons in advance, hitting the target more often than it missed. HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER was unafraid to deal with grim tales of loss and loneliness and becoming resigned to isolation.

HOW I MET YOUR FATHER is not daring or bold. It's simply offering bland sitcom misunderstandings in a romcom formula. It doesn't attempt to use any extensive timespan for drama or comedy; it doesn't do flash forwards except as an expository device; it doesn't switch into multiple genres; it isn't willing to confront defeatism. It's just a lightweight, bland sitcom about a bunch of pleasantly affable New Yorkers having pleasantly affable problems. It's completely generic. It isn't bad. It's so okay it's dull.

I hope no SLIDERS revival is ever so okay it's dull.

ireactions wrote:

Among the many missed opportunities with SLIDERS: it never did crossovers. For cross-marketing purposes, SLIDERS should have crossed over with every single Vancouver-filmed show on the FOX Network and every LA-filmed series on the Sci-Fi Channel. It never did and it's a huge waste of potential. SLIDERS should cross over with every NBCUniversal property.

great point...

293 (edited by QuinnSlidr 2022-03-18 19:18:26)

God no. Please. No crossovers. The Marvel Universe makes sense.

But not crossovers on Sliders. In general, crossovers happen when networks are entirely out of original ideas.

Sliders is a series with so much original idea potential it would be criminal not to exploit that.

Like John Rhys-Davies said...Sliders could have been the next Star Trek if executed properly.

294 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2022-03-18 20:55:29)

QuinnSlidr wrote:

But not crossovers on Sliders. In general, crossovers happen when networks are entirely out of original ideas.

Sliders is a series with so much original idea potential it would be criminal not to exploit that.

Like John Rhys-Davies said...Sliders could have been the next Star Trek if executed properly.

disagreement is a healthy thing.... an interesting perspective.

QuinnSlidr wrote:

I love you.

With such a wealth of endless possibilities, crossovers are the last avenue that Sliders ever needs to go down. The blatant movie of the week rip-offs from series 3 were bad enough.

That remark from JRD always hits me. It really could have been. It should have been. Such a shame.

SLIDERS can do anything. John Rhys-Davies says you can go anywhere in the universe with SLIDERS, so it's not for John to then say SLIDERS can't pass through PARTY OF FIVE. You can't have it both ways. Either SLIDERS can go anywhere or it can't, so which one is it?

I am always deeply suspicious of the claim that if creator tells Insert Story Idea One Person Doesn't Like, that creator is therefore out of ideas. That's not constructive criticism, that's presenting a personal taste as a universal restriction on what does and doesn't count as a good idea.

I think there should have been a full-fledged crossover with THE X-FILES that could have hopefully drawn some of that show's audience to SLIDERS.

I think that the sliders could have made passing cameos on every show on FOX, building intrigue, drawing more characters to SLIDERS.

Now, it's fine if that isn't something you personally enjoy or wouldn't care for or prefer not to see. But to claim that anyone who would want to do something like that with SLIDERS is not a creative person is casting a blanket generalization.

I don't believe good storytelling comes from declaring that you are never to use certain tools (like crossovers). Good storytelling comes from using storytelling tools effectively and meaningfully.

"No, don't do that" is not an effective principle of storytelling. My personal and primary principle of storytelling is that every story written now or ever is a SLIDERS story. My personal belief is that we are all SLIDERS stories.

297 (edited by Slide Override 2022-03-19 07:31:05)

You are mistaking the actual ability to do something with whether that something should even be done in the first place. There is a clear difference. Yes, Sliders could easily crossover into INSERT SHOW NAME HERE without needing a conceited contrivance to arrange that set up. The premise allows it without breaking a sweat. The question is - should it? The majority of viewers, and the networks themselves, would more than likely say that it shouldn't.

Shows (of that time) usually fall into the cameos or crossover traps for only a few reasons - when they have run out of ideas, when they have a spin-off vehicle to peddle, or in a vein attempt to boost viewership. The first reason is ludicrous because of the limitless potential of the show. The second was unneeded and not the goal here. So the only reason to do so is to boost viewership. This is exactly what series 3 attempted with the movie-rip-off-of-the-week formula in order to keep things exciting - lots of action, lots of major rips of popular popcorn fodder.

The general consensus is that this didn't work.

No one stated that people who implement crossovers are creatively bankrupt. What I will personally say is that it IS creatively bankrupt when applying it to this show. 100%.

You are free to believe that good storytelling means using all tools effectively and meaningfully. I would normally agree with you, however, some tools are better than others, and you most certainly do not apply ALL tools to every story. No matter how good of a storyteller you are, that is a recipe for disaster.

Setting aside your personal beliefs and connection with Sliders, it is extremely hard to believe that crossovers would have made this show better.

Slide Override wrote:

Rant about how if you write a story Slide Override doesn't care for in concept or execution, you shouldn't have ever written it at all and your writing is therefore ludicrous and Slide Override's likes and dislikes are a universal restriction to be enforced upon all with no exceptions ever.

I don't see how Quinn, Wade, Rembrandt and Arturo making brief cameos in PARTY OF FIVE would have destroyed the creative structure of SLIDERS. I don't see how Quinn, Wade, Rembrandt and Arturo meeting Mulder and Scully would have destroyed SLIDERS. Even if you didn't personally like it, it's TV and there'll be another episode.

There is explaining why you don't like something. Then there is declaring that nobody else should like it either and that it shouldn't exist and that if you like it or made it exist or would like it to exist, you are a disaster.

I continue to adore the brilliant Nigel Mitchell's SLIDERS/X-FILES: X-MARKS THE SPOT novella. http://freepdfhosting.com/2e80122e71.pdf

You are free to not read it and not like the idea of it, but Nigel Mitchell having written an X-FILES crossover among his numerous SLIDERS stories does not make him "creatively bankrupt" "100%." Your tastes are your own.

I think it would be genius marketing to have the Sliders just pop up in the background of other shows or even movies produced by the studio.  They don’t have to be prominent or obvious - just place them in as background extras with non-speaking roles. They would appear to be having arguments or amusing interactions or even running away in panic - maybe you could sometimes make out the timer in their hand.

It would create buzz with a Where’s Waldo type game.  From a story perspective, we would be left to debate and discuss.  How did the Sliders get there?  What happened to them in the end?  The Sliders series itself could even have a passing mention of a place or situation that seems to match what they may have been doing.

It would create a kind of living multiverse

ireactions wrote:
Slide Override wrote:

Rant about how if you write a story Slide Override doesn't care for in concept or execution, you shouldn't have ever written it at all and your writing is therefore ludicrous and Slide Override's likes and dislikes are a universal restriction to be enforced upon all with no exceptions ever.

Now that's just childish.