Re: Reboots: The Return of Sliders (?) and Other Properties

QuinnSlidr wrote:
ireactions wrote:

I'd like to change the title of this thread to "Reboots: The Return of Sliders and Other Properties" if that's alright. That way, we can talk about any and all reboots even when there isn't any SLIDERS news.

Alternatively, I can shift all the QUANTUM LEAP posts to a new thread. What would we prefer? A new thread containing all the previous QL posts? Or keeping them all here with a thread title change?

Sure!!! The title change is just fine with me.

I don't think there will be any Sliders reboot news for some time... sad

Well. I'll give everyone 48 hours to raise any potential objections. I'm just a servant here.

I don't have a problem with it. It has evolved since I started it.

JWSlider3

Hurrah!

Expectations for this hastily re-jigged pilot to Quantum Leap were low ... but I really enjoyed it. I absolutely love that it was a continuation, and not a reboot, building on the foundations and lore of the previous show and continuing it by both paying homage and injecting some new life. The end result is an almost mystery-drama with action that fits really well as the scenes shift (though quite hastily, understandably however because of the re-jigged pilot) from the past and the present day Quantum Leap project.

That opening intro monologue (voiced by the original I believe) gave me chills!

You were never going to replicate Sam and Al (and shouldn't since this is a continuation) so the new dynamic is interesting enough for me. Minor spoilers incoming as it's hard to talk about the pilot otherwise  ***** I love the dual connection - not just their relationship, but that Addison was actually meant to be the leaper and Ben the guide. ****** That's such a cool situation that I can't wait to see developed more. You see it with Addison having more practical ideas about the escape, and in Ben's awkward approach to presenting himself as a tough guy. I really hope this is played up numerous times as we slowly see Ben grow more comfortable with talking and opening up to people.

The mystery of Ben leaping and the investigation at Project Quantum Leap already has me invested. This is the hook that will keep you watching as we learn more about the project, Sam's disappearance, and what is currently going on. The homage to the original, but allowing itself to be it's own thing, is fantastic. This is what the Charmed reboot/mid-boot/other-universe (doesn't freaking know what it wanted to be) ... should have been. Not insulting the fans by butchering the original story, but by embracing the history and spinning a new tale from it.

The Project Quantum Leap cast are all great, sans the security lady (whose name escapes me at the moment), but it's early days.

And the homages / story connected to Al and Sam were all great.

There were some negatives of course. Again, you could tell the hastily re-written parts, and there were some mightily cheap scenes (that car drive background was so awful and distracting). Also, this show absolutely needs an intro - a title card will simply not do (again, hoping that's because it was just the new pilot). The 'mirror image' effects needed a tiny bit more work as well as not having the trademark audio cue. It's so tied to the original that not having it felt quite jarring and you immediately felt like something was missing. If you are playing up the nostalgia then these small things make a big impact. I'm hoping the monologue will remain, though updated. If we get that but not an intro, I feel like I could be satisfied.

Also, (again, pilot re-write problems) some of the Project Quantum Leap scenes didn't have the best dialogue. But you could tell it was re-written hastily.

All in all though, I found this to be a great start. Did it make me think that this was prestige TV? No. But it did hit my nostalgia bone and I really enjoyed the ride. The characters and the mystery will keep me watching and I can't wait to see the training wheels come off.

So my understanding was Quantum Leaps premiere live ratings were decent to so-so.   If it doesn't do well than I think you can stick s fork in any near term Sliders reemergence.

I'm sorry to hear this. I haven't gotten to QUANTUM LEAP just yet. Currently catching up on SUPERMAN & LOIS and then, hopefully, STAR TREK DISCOVERY. Is it possible the sportsball game threw off the ratings?

427 (edited by QuinnSlidr Today 13:20:52)

ireactions wrote:

I'm sorry to hear this. I haven't gotten to QUANTUM LEAP just yet. Currently catching up on SUPERMAN & LOIS and then, hopefully, STAR TREK DISCOVERY. Is it possible the sportsball game threw off the ratings?

There were other things including the Queen's funeral that could have impacted ratings in this fashion.

I remember thinking at the time that I wish they didn't choose today of all days to launch Quantum Leap because of everything else going on.