Topic: Tembi Locke has a memoir. And it's being made into a series.

I can't tell you how long it's been since the name Tembi Locke has entered my brain, but apparently since her stint in Sliders S5 she's written a "bestselling" memoir. It's going to be made into a Netflix series starring Zoe Saldana as the Tembi-based character, Amy.

https://deadline.com/2021/04/from-scrat … 234728799/

For anyone interested, the memoir is From Scratch: A Memoir of Love, Sicily, and Finding Home

Re: Tembi Locke has a memoir. And it's being made into a series.

Yea, she's had a lot of success.  It's pretty great.  Her sister is a producer btw.

I read it when it came out two years ago.  Sliders is not mentioned in it.

I still have the book from her book signing, haven't read it though, but congrats to Tembi!

The first season is coming to Netflix this weekend

pilight wrote:

I guess I missed this whole thread when it first came out, but Tembi Locke was the star of a TV show for a year of her life and it wasn't important enough to be mentioned in her memoir?  I'm kinda impressed.

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

I guess I missed this whole thread when it first came out, but Tembi Locke was the star of a TV show for a year of her life and it wasn't important enough to be mentioned in her memoir?  I'm kinda impressed.

She was on Eureka for a year as well, if I remember right

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:
pilight wrote:

She actually talks very little about her career in the book

I guess I need to look up what Tembi Locke has been up to.  If she can write an entire book and not mention her career much, she must have been doing some interesting things.

(That may come off as sarcastic but I legitimately don't know and am truly interested)

Her husband died of bone cancer.  He went from healthy to gone very quickly.  She took a couple of years off of work to cope with it all and help her then seven year old daughter do the same.  The book is mostly about that time in her life (roughly 2012-2014).  It's a very uplifting and positive book.  Highly recommended.

Wow, interesting smile Is year 1999 included in this series? Is making 5th season of Sliders mentioned?

12 (edited by ireactions 2022-10-22 15:51:52)

FROM SCRATCH is not about Tembi Locke's acting career. It's about how her life fell apart when her husband died and she and her seven year old daughter had to rebuild themselves "from scratch". Honestly, I think to Tembi Locke, SLIDERS was like that year I spent manning the cash register at a comic book store.

I had a fun time and enjoyed a lot of science fiction, but it's never going to be as significant as the death of a life partner and the parent to my child and selling my own Netflix series as Locke has succeeded in doing.

Locke has been on several episodes of NEVER HAVE I EVER, a fun Netflix teen dramedy where Locke plays a super-supportive parent to a young girl who is terrified to come out as gay. Locke exudes warmth, patience and indulgence and it's a small role that Locke really infuses with life and charm.

pilight wrote:

Her husband died of bone cancer.  He went from healthy to gone very quickly.  She took a couple of years off of work to cope with it all and help her then seven year old daughter do the same.  The book is mostly about that time in her life (roughly 2012-2014).  It's a very uplifting and positive book.  Highly recommended.

Oh wow.  I can add it to the list.  Thank you!

As far as Sliders goes, Locke has mentioned it a few times on Twitter over the years.  She always speaks of it with great fondness.  There is no doubt in my mind that she would be willing to participate in a reboot.

Since returning to work in Dumb and Dumber To in 2014 she's mostly done TV guest star roles.  She's made two films over the last four years: Collusions, a better than expected crime thriller, and The Obituary of Tunde Johnson, a Groundhog Day/Black Lives Matter mashup that wastes a good concept.

‘From Scratch’ Creators Set Up Next Show: ‘Bluebird, Bluebird’

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv … 235792095/

The drama, which does not yet have a network/platform attached, revolves around Darren Mathews, a Black Texas Ranger who is deeply ambivalent about growing up Black in the lone star state and was the first in his family to get as far away from Texas as he could — until duty called him home.