1 (edited by ireactions 2022-11-16 13:42:22)

Topic: Sliders Bible Free Download

EDITED BY IREACTIONS:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/19KtpA7 … sp=sharing

ireactions here! I took the liberty of uploading this file for JamesL and updating the link as the original link in this post was broken.

2 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2022-11-16 12:32:39)

Re: Sliders Bible Free Download

thank you!  would be great to see.. however, the link is broken smile

Hi, I took the liberty of uploading the Bible and changing the link in JamesL's post.

Special thanks to Cez for sending it to me in the first place.

Very interesting!

So they actually incorporated material from Slider fans sites?  Wow.

I vaguely recall that someone got their @$$ fired for just copy-pasting fan sites into the Bible and clocking out for the day.

ireactions wrote:

I vaguely recall that someone got their @$$ fired for just copy-pasting fan sites into the Bible and clocking out for the day.

ok, even bigger wow.

maybe it was because things shifted to SyFy network and the team was just scrambling (and/or trying to do on a reduced budget).

Don't make excuses for them.

I am sorry that David Peckinpah had a nervous breakdown for the death of his son, but he could have simply taken a leave of absence from TV and gotten his life together rather than acting out his slow slide into addiction and self-poisoning on a national broadcast stage. I'm sure whoever decided to do copy-pasting rather than engage in their job with passion and interest had their own stuff going on too, but they could have at least opened a thesaurus and put the fan material in their own words.

ireactions wrote:

Yep.  It was Jeremy Smith.  That’s why there’s two authors on the season three section; Karen took over after Jeremy was dismissed.

And though not credited, the season five section of the Bible was written by Keith Damron.

TemporalFlux wrote:
ireactions wrote:

Yep.  It was Jeremy Smith.  That’s why there’s two authors on the season three section; Karen took over after Jeremy was dismissed.

And though not credited, the season five section of the Bible was written by Keith Damron.

Do you recall Jeremy's job title?  Was it writer's assistant, staff writer, production assistant, etc?   I am curious to how low or mid level they werel.

RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan wrote:

you recall Jeremy's job title?  Was it writer's assistant, staff writer, production assistant, etc?   I am curious to how low or mid level they werel.

I think it was some kind of assistant, but it’s been a long time since I thought about it.  I’m not sure, but I think this may be the guy:

https://www.scriptsandscribes.com/jerem … -venables/

https://mobile.twitter.com/captainpunch

TemporalFlux wrote:
RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan wrote:

you recall Jeremy's job title?  Was it writer's assistant, staff writer, production assistant, etc?   I am curious to how low or mid level they werel.

I think it was some kind of assistant, but it’s been a long time since I thought about it.  I’m not sure, but I think this may be the guy:

https://www.scriptsandscribes.com/jerem … -venables/

https://mobile.twitter.com/captainpunch

Fortunately, seemed to have a decent career after that.

Uh, did he? I'm not sure that the Jeremy Smith of VAN HELSING is the same Jeremy Smith (credited as assistant to writer) on SLIDERS. There are two Jeremy Smiths on IMDB, this one with SLIDERS: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0808 91/ He also has credits on other 90s shows and his career goes from 1994 - 1999.

The Jeremy Smith who produces VAN HELSING seems to be mostly in Vancouver-shot, syndicated, SyFy Channel co-produced TV shows like, well, VAN HELSING and CONTINUUM, and this is his IMDB page: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1664748/

That said, it's not unheard of for IMDB to accidentally split the same person across two separate entries, but I don't think these two are the same person. I have sent @CaptainPunch on Twitter a query about this, however, and if it turns out Temporal Flux is right again, I owe him two evenings at the Olive Garden and a copy of all the DOORWAYS comic books.

ireactions wrote:

Uh, did he? I'm not sure that the Jeremy Smith of VAN HELSING is the same Jeremy Smith (credited as assistant to writer) on SLIDERS. There are two Jeremy Smiths on IMDB, this one with SLIDERS: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm080891/  He also has credits on other 90s shows and his career goes from 1994 - 1999.

The Jeremy Smith who produces VAN HELSING seems to be mostly in Vancouver-shot, syndicated, SyFy Channel co-produced TV shows like, well, VAN HELSING and CONTINUUM, and this is his IMDB page: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1664748/

That said, it's not unheard of for IMDB to accidentally split the same person across two separate entries, but I don't think these two are the same person. I have sent @CaptainPunch on Twitter a query about this, however, and if it turns out Temporal Flux is right again, I owe him two evenings at the Olive Garden and a copy of all the comic books.

what's interesting is the jeremy smith with the sliders credit has it listed as 1995.

imagine if there were two jeremy smith's who worked on the series, and the 1997 one was the van helsing one lol.

ireactions wrote:

…if it turns out Temporal Flux is right again, I owe him two evenings at the Olive Garden and a copy of all the DOORWAYS comic books.

lol

Could easily be two different people; but it was hard to ignore that they both started as some kind of assistants and worked on science fiction television that filmed in Vancouver and Los Angeles.  Even with a common name like Smith, that’s a pretty amazing coincidence.

15 (edited by ireactions 2022-11-19 13:15:41)

Jeremy Smith of SLIDERS seems based in the United States, not Vancouver. He was a production assistant on EARTH 2 in New Mexico and on GRAND AVENUE, also in Los Angeles. He was the visual effects coordinator on FROM THE EARTH TO THE MOON in Florida, and did effects work on BLAST FROM THE PAST in Los Angeles.

The SLIDERS-employed Smith was an "assistant to writers". I was under the impression that the writing staff for SLIDERS, even in the Vancouver years, was in Los Angeles with a Vancouver-located onset producer team responsible for adjusting scripts for practical production.

The Jeremy Smith on CONTINUUM and VAN HELSING was born in Barrie, Ontario, Canada and moved to Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada in his teens and IMDB credits indicate broke into TV on DARK ANGEL which filmed in Ruskin Dam, British Columbia.

The CONTINUUM-Smith says he started film school in 1999 in a 2022 Medium interview (well, he says he enrolled and that the interview is "23 years" later) and that he was in "dead-end" jobs before that. That doesn't seem to track with the SLIDERS-Smith having been an EARTH 2 production assistant in 1994; his jobs during and after film school were also production assistant jobs at first, and those were clearly not "dead end" jobs.

https://medium.com/authority-magazine/m … 0008a71bf5

Of course, it could still be the same person who conceivably took work on New Mexico and LA based shows before returning closer to home for DARK ANGEL and film school and possibly thinking that PA work without film school was a "dead end". The above is just why I think it's probably not the same person.

wait... what is this document we are looking at???

roulettewheel wrote:

https://www.shorescripts.com/what-is-a-tv-series-bible/

ireactions wrote:
roulettewheel wrote:

https://www.shorescripts.com/what-is-a-tv-series-bible/

well yes, i know what a series bible is— i'm just unfamiliar with this exact document. who compiled this? why does it look like it's copy/pasted from fan sites? which fansites and who did that? was this used by anyone on the show? where did it come from?

roulettewheel wrote:

who compiled this?

The SLIDERS series bible was originally written by assistant-to-writer Jeremy Smith, then Karen Miller later in Season 3 (not sure about her title), then Season 4 staff member Janice Fishman for the fourth season, and finally, Keith Damron for the last season (thanks, TF!).

roulettewheel wrote:

was this used by anyone on the show?

The bible was used to give incoming and freelance writers a crash course in SLIDERS at a time when writers could not reasonably be expected to have watched every (or even any) previous episodes of a show due to the non-existence of view-on-demand video services, the cumbersome and limited format of VHS, and the impracticality of booking studio video suites for every single freelance or staff writer to watch old episodes.

If nothing else, summaries of previous episodes let writers know what had already been done before.

roulettewheel wrote:

where did it come from

Copies of this bible have been floating around Los Angeles for years, retained by former writing assistants. A fan of SLIDERS once reported visiting Zicree's office and finding numerous copies of this document but finding them undeserving of interest as most of the material was just episode summaries and printouts of fan pages.

roulettewheel wrote:

which fansites and who did that?

To 'write' large portions of the manual, Jeremy Smith simply printed out web pages from Robb Potter's Sliders.net, the alt.tv.sliders newsgroup, Ed Brillig's page, Tim Lucas' page, Nigel G. Mitchell's SLIDERS TECHNICAL MANUAL, and some photocopies of magazine articles by Amanda J. Finch and Dan Webber.

The episode summaries, I assume, were pre-broadcast loglines and cast and crew details photocopied from memos to FOX's marketing department.

I recall TF originally reported that Jeremy Smith was fired for his blatant lack of actual work on the Bible, and here, TF says that it happened in Season 3 with someone named Karen Miller taking over from Smith. I'm not sure what she did differently.

The Season 4 loglines have a Post-It saying it was written by "Janice Fishman" and while I can't find any credits for this person, the name "Janice Fishman" along with SLIDERS crew member "Paul Cajero" are found in Marc Scott Zicree's novel MAGIC TIME. TF says that Keith Damron wrote the S5 pages. (My use of "TF says" is to give him credit, not to cast doubt.)

Anyway. When writing my SLIDERS fanfic magnum opus, I too drew on the work of Nigel G. Mitchell -- which is to say I contacted him and offered him money to consult. He wouldn't take any money, so I just bought all of his novels off Amazon. In time, I will hunt down Jeremy Smith and demand that he cut Nigel a cheque.

heck yeah, that's the clarification i was looking for... thank you! this is a very cool find i haven't seen before.

I don't know if anything in this bible counts as cool. The episode summaries are a triviality for anyone who's watched the episodes and the stolen-from-fanworks pages are just a reminder of how people used to print out webpages and then make photocopies of these printouts.

This series bible is hackwork from one of the hackiest hacks who ever lived, Jeremy Smith, and the final pages are written by the master of hackwork himself, Keith Damron.

I assume Janice Fishman is okay since Zicree used her name in his MAGIC TIME novel, but honestly, Marc Scott Zicree is so superhumanly nice that he would have found at least one favourable thing to say about Jack the Ripper, so who knows.