Re: Reboots: The Return of Sliders (?) and Other Properties

which chatbot are you using?

482 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2022-12-02 20:41:40)

Lego_Sliders wrote:

which chatbot are you using?

ChatGPT

Where's Wade?

Can SLIDERS learn anything from COBRA KAI, the highly successful revival of THE KARATE KID movies from 1984, 1986, 1989 and 1994?

Well, there is one thing that COBRA KAI does that I really like: COBRA KAI is extremely respectful and constructive will all aspects of THE KARATE KID movies. COBRA KAI has the Karate Kid, Daniel, express his longing and love for his now-deceased mentor, Mr. Miyagi, and has Daniel passing on the lessons his teacher taught him but with Daniel's own spin on his old learnings. COBRA KAI declares that all the story elements and characters of the original KARATE KID and its sequel are significant, meaningful events that are remembered with warmth and appreciation but also with some humour and the ability to poke fun.

But COBRA KAI is also respectful towards the parts of the KARATE KID franchise that are mocked and dismissed by fans. THE KARATE KID III is one of the most-loathed films ever made and described by its own director as "a terrible movie and a poor imitation of the first one."  And yet... COBRA KAI has made a meal out of it over the last four seasons of the show.

In the second season, COBRA KAI delves into KK3's clumsy storyline and has Daniel, the title Karate Kid, describe the plot of KK3 where he joined the bullies' karate dojo and unleashed a darkness in himself of which he is deeply ashamed. This plot point was, even to longtime fans, shocking; Daniel was so out of character in KK3 that most fans had blocked it out of their memory, but COBRA KAI even showed clips from KK3 to set this unfortunate part of Daniel's story in stone and mine it for characterization.

In KK3, the antagonist John Kreese received some brief references to his war trauma in Vietnam that were presented in a crass, cartoonish fashion where Kreese was simply an insane bully. COBRA KAI's third season also delved into this in flashbacks, showing Kreese's origins as a sweet and honourable kid whose Vietnam captivity and the betrayal of a commanding officer warped him into the twisted, cruel man who terrorized Daniel in the original KARATE KID movies. COBRA KAI took a very silly element of KARATE KID 3 and made it meaningful.

In KK3, the other antagonist was Terry Silver, a ridiculously thin character; Terry was a fortysomething Vietnam vet turned wealthy industrialist who inexplicably spent weeks and tens of millions of dollars trying to humiliate Daniel in a karate tournament in a convoluted and labyrinth plan, each step of which Terry carried out with bizarrely hysterical giggling. COBRA KAI brought Terry back in the fourth season and Terry expressed deep embarrassment over his obsessive need to humiliate a teenager back in the 80s; he confessed that he'd been traumatized by Vietnam and had been high on cocaine during the entire third movie.

However, Terry's buried demons soon resurface into a more disturbing form and he becomes the central antagonist for COBRA KAI's fifth season. Once again, COBRA KAI took an incredibly silly and clumsily written aspect of the KARATE KID mythos and took it seriously, infusing it with thought, awareness, tragedy and charm.

One other much maligned aspect of KARATE KID III was the character of Mike Barnes, a karate tournament contestant whose fighting style consisted of screaming deranged and racist insults at Daniel and his Karate Kid teacher. Barnes reappears in the fifth season of COBRA KAI and the moment he runs into Daniel, Barnes apologizes for his behaviour and for his terrible words and actions, saying that for his unsportsmanlike conduct, he received a lifetime ban from karate and lost his purpose in life which he realized he'd brought upon himself; he turned his hands to building furniture and he is relieved to see Daniel so that he can make amends. Daniel is deeply relieved that his old enemy is no longer an enemy and that he only needs to worry about the other two.

This is something I really appreciated about COBRA KAI; it declared that even the bad aspects of KARATE KID are still part of the story and they belong and that if regarded with love and care and interest and curiosity, they can become meaningful and vital and special.

A SLIDERS reboot would probably have to do this in a highly indirect way.

Season three only needed one redhead. -LSC-

Quantum Leap hanging in there - renewed for season two:

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/amp/news … -season-2/

Congratulations to all QUANTUM LEAP fans! I'm very happy for all of you.

And what if in Season 2, Ben looks up an old friend?

What if Ben goes to see someone he knows from Berkeley University? What if Ben's friend is a former classmate who washed out of the advanced physics program? What is this friend is a college dropout now in his late forties who fixes computers for minimum wage at the local Doppler Computers. a former boy genius turned overqualified big box staffer?

What if Ben's friend is a dreamer-turned-cynic who was dented and diminished by his failure to create antigravity back in the 90s? What if Ben's friend is a computer technician in a bad place who needs Ben to inspire him to take a leap of faith and slide into a new dimension of possibilities for the life he could still build?

What if... ?

ireactions wrote:

Congratulations to all QUANTUM LEAP fans! I'm very happy for all of you.

And what if in Season 2, Ben looks up an old friend?

What if Ben goes to see someone he knows from Berkeley University? What if Ben's friend is a former classmate who washed out of the advanced physics program? What is this friend is a college dropout now in his late forties who fixes computers for minimum wage at the local Doppler Computers. a former boy genius turned overqualified big box staffer?

What if Ben's friend is a dreamer-turned-cynic who was dented and diminished by his failure to create antigravity back in the 90s? What if Ben's friend is a computer technician in a bad place who needs Ben to inspire him to take a leap of faith and slide into a new dimension of possibilities for the life he could still build?

What if... ?

I love it

@ireactions
What you said actually happened. Quantum Leap/Sliders: The Great Divide was a four issue series that was scheduled for fall, unfortunetely the people publishing QL were more interested in T&L. However it was referenced in the backup story for Sliders issue #57, the Great Leap Forward.

This actually happened...?

I think you're referring to the QUANTUM SLIDE pitches: https://earthprime.com/sliders-comics/lost-comics/

Acclaim Comics fell apart in 1998 and ceased publication, making a brief return a year later only to cease once more. As far as I can tell, Acclaim had across the board distribution issues and were having trouble getting their books into comic shops. In addition, their parent company, video game manufacturer Acclaim Entertainment, were having serious financial difficulties in getting paid for their video games from licensors who'd commissioned their services. The entire company went down; I don't think they specifically cast aside SLIDERS.

That said, their stewardship of the popularity was... peculiar. For whatever reason, they hired superhero veterans to write and draw a property that was really more suited to DC-Vertigo style writing and artwork. They had deadlines that required some decent comic book writers to hack out scripts without any real familiarity with the series and no time to properly watch and absorb the existing episodes. They nonsensically had two excellent artists for NARCOTICA with two totally contradictory styles draw opposite halves of one story. This may have more to do with the haste and rushed licensing demands from Universal and less to do with Acclaim Comics themselves.

I was hoping for Iron Quinn, or Wonder Wade, but that's enough facetiousness out of me.

Well, former comic book editor Valerie D'Orazio has written some horrible, horrible stories about how she was harassed and threatened as a woman working in comic book publishing and administration. D'Orazio worked at Acclaim Comics during the SLIDERS licensing period and right up to Acclaim's shutdown, and... D'Orazio had absolutely nothing bad to say about the company.

D'Orazio is filled with fiery outrage and loathing for DC Comics and for a stint at Marvel, but with Acclaim, she notes that her boyfriend at the time was cheating on her and that she overindulged at the open bar at an Acclaim party and doesn't remember what happened next.

When D'Orazio got over her hangover and staggered into work, she was forced to attend an office meeting with every staff member present where Acclaim's chief, Fabian Nicieza, proceeded to lecture the entire office on being careful with alcohol consumption, looking out for each other, and ensuring that everyone came out of a party and made it home safely. He deliberately told the entire team to be more responsible and made sure not to single any one person out, giving everyone dignity while laying out their duty.

Acclaim is the only publisher to come out of D'Orazio's memoir looking like a good company of good people. I don't think Acclaim Comics failed; I think their parent company failed them.

90s nostalgia has begun: https://www.cbr.com/that-90s-show-nostalgia/

Let us once again take a moment to say PROPERTY FROM OVER 22 YEARS AGO is making a comeback, can a SLIDERS revival be far behind?

To which the answer is: of course the sliders will come back. There will come a time when we are faced with deadly ultimatums from armadas craving blood and splendor, when we are beset by narcotica-driven madness from false claims of deadly secrets. In our moment of greatest need, Quinn, Wade, Rembrandt and Arturo will return to save us. I admit, I've been waiting a long time, but it's been 22 years, and I can wait a little longer.

Sliders will be back.  I'm less convinced that Quinn, Wade, Rembrandt and Arturo will return.

495 (edited by Lego_Sliders 2022-12-29 22:31:04)

The question is, how much of the original show will remain?

Is anybody here familiar with Table Top Role Playing Games.   I knew of D&D ( i guess that qualifies?) but didn't really understand the market / active audience around this.

There  is a company called Free League that has licensed numerous properties (including Amazon's Tales From the Loop): https://freeleaguepublishing.com/

The games seem to be niche market, high priced producted ($50 to $100) that attracts a loyal "geek" audience who just loves this stuff.  Since SLIDERS has very high brand familiarity, and a choose-your-own adventure element, I am wondering if SLIDERS may be a good fit for a game publisher.

So, how is QUANTUM LEAP for everyone?

I am hoping to catch up with the revival some time in March. I hope everyone likes how it's shaping up. As SLIDERS fans, we must always wish revivals the very best in their content and fan response.

Quantum Leap is OK.  I like it being a continuation of the original series.  OTOH they're playing very fast and loose with the rules of leaping and characters seem to be keeping secrets just for the sake of keeping secrets, which is too much of a contrivance.

They were extending season 1 to more episodes right?

They haven't rolled out any new ones, have they?

The initial stuff I've seen is decent tv and I am glad to have it.  I can see why it has done well on streaming. 

I don't think it's anything incredible, it doesn't match some of the magic of the original, but that's OK.  Would much rather have it than not and will continue to support it via streaming.

Been watching some of the Paramount+ Twilight Zone reboot with Jordan Peele (also currently airing on SyFy).

The stories are kind of middling (the Apple TV Amazing Stories reboot was much better); but Jordan Peele as narrator is spot on perfect.  It’s basically a Rod Serling impersonation, but Rod’s character is what gave the series its identity.  Rod was in many ways the first Slider; we followed him each week as he traveled from reality to reality and encountered strange places and ideas.

That said, I was really struck by the penultimate episode of Peele’s season two, “Try, Try” starring Topher Grace.  It starts slow and is a bit too wordy, but it builds into something really interesting.  On reflection after the viewing, it improves more.  It was a refreshing take on an old sci-fi trope.

TemporalFlux wrote:

That said, I was really struck by the penultimate episode of Peele’s season two, “Try, Try” starring Topher Grace.  It starts slow and is a bit too wordy, but it builds into something really interesting.  On reflection after the viewing, it improves more.  It was a refreshing take on an old sci-fi trope.

agree...

With today’s nominations, we now we have a Sliders type movie that stands to sweep the Oscars.  How much longer can Universal ignore what they’re sitting on?

TemporalFlux wrote:

With today’s nominations, we now we have a Sliders type movie that stands to sweep the Oscars.  How much longer can Universal ignore what they’re sitting on?

They keep waiting on a prestige creator / showrunner

RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan wrote:
TemporalFlux wrote:

I guess they’re not interested, but I still think Seth McFarlane / David A. Goodman would be perfect.  Seth has a development deal with Universal right now

TemporalFlux wrote:
RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan wrote:
TemporalFlux wrote:

I guess they’re not interested, but I still think Seth McFarlane / David A. Goodman would be perfect.  Seth has a development deal with Universal right now

I've said this in the past too.  And Orville's episode on the social media stuff was basically what a current day episode of Sliders on network tv would  be.   But there's got to be a desire to want to do things under the sliders brand (and it's brand got tarnished by schlock) or continue with the older characters (and nearly no prestige showrunner would have interest in that).

I think there is a lot making a SLIDERS revival difficult right now. Peacock is losing $3 billion this year. Revivals of existing NBCUniversal properties have proven to have a lot of misses, a few small successes, and not necessarily a lot of hits. MACGYVER and QUANTUM LEAP did okay. But SAVED BY THE BELL, PUNKY BREWSTER and pre-streaming revivals like KNIGHT RIDER and BIONIC WOMAN all had more cultural weight than SLIDERS and none of those were successful enough to stay on the air.

Then we have Tracy Torme who, for reasons I fully understand, pitched a revival that wasn't going to be a clean reboot like MACGYVER but instead called for using Jerry and Cleavant as the original sliders with paths to bring John and Sabrina in pending their availability. This next-generation approach was highly successful for GHOSTBUSTERS and BILL AND TED (on streaming services), but GHOSTBUSTERS and BILL AND TED were cultural phenomena. With SLIDERS, yes, people remember the pilot on FOX, but SLIDERS is in the position of really needing to start over and build the brand from ground-up.

Torme, however, seemed to want to build on a foundation that, fairly or unfairly, is viewed as shaky and a little inaccessible (if we're sticking to the theory that Torme was going to say that some time after "The Guardian", the sliders missed the window and hand to settle down on a parallel Earth and all the post-"Guardian" episodes were doubles/dreams and nightmares after the Professor had a bad taco). It wasn't a clean reboot, and NBCUniversal very understandably didn't want a SLIDERS that wasn't a clean reboot.

Torme might feel that the only version of SLIDERS worth pitching was the one he felt passionate about pitching and that was a next-generation pitch, whereas someone else could pitch the clean reboot. And maybe that's what needs to happen: someone like Seth MacFarlane has to pitch NBCU (and maybe Torme) on getting behind a reboot to SLIDERS featuring new performers playing Quinn, Wade, Rembrandt and Arturo. It clearly isn't Torme's first choice, but it's called BROADcasting for a reason.

Night Court (2023) is one hundred percent cringe. The laugh track is used every other second, the bailiff is played as a spastic, the roles are reversed (Dan Fielding was a prosecutor in the original) and is now playing for the defense! The court clerk can't keep his mouth shut, and the actress playing the prosecution couldn't act her way out of a kosher pickle barrel!

I understand that most of the original cast has died, but to replace all of the main roles (judge, prosecution, bailiff, court clerk) with people who act more like attention seeking children than adults... it's just too much.

I really wanted it to make me laugh. It was one of the few american shows I was actually looking forward to watching.

Quantum Leap has been back for two weeks and nobody told me! Come on now. TemporalFlux, where are your Quantum Leap reviews???

QuinnSlidr wrote:

Quantum Leap has been back for two weeks and nobody told me! Come on now. TemporalFlux, where are your Quantum Leap reviews???

So it did come back.... didn't realize