1 (edited by QuinnSlidr 2023-03-15 18:35:40)

Topic: Everything, Everywhere, All At Once Should Have Sliders Fans EXCITED.

Excited? Because of how it, a parallel universe movie, won the Oscars. Plus, a fantastic cast. Also, it should be giving Universal an indication just how popular multiverse stuff is right now. I was so excited when I saw it the other day that I just had to share.

This movie centers on a middle age Chinese immigrant woman who is facing a multitude of challenges: business, family, and at home. Evelyn (Michelle Yeoh) must balance a relationship with her increasingly difficult daughter Joy (Stephanie Hsu) with the demands of every day life as a laundry shop owner. Her husband, Waymond (Ke Huy Quan) is contemplating divorce but she doesn't know it yet.

Out of the blue, her alpha universe husband Waymond shows up within her current-universe Waymond's body to tell her an astonishing revelation: she is the only variation of Evelyns throughout the entire multiverse who can save the multiverse-world from the dreaded big bad multiverse villain: Jobu Tupaki. Who just so happens to be an alternate version of Evelyn's daughter, Joy. The only way that Evelyn can bring balance to the universe is because of herself: her good-natured, never-able-to-finish-anything self to go up against the alternate universe version of her daughter: Jobu Tupaki.

It is revealed that Evelyn in alpha universe is the one who came up with the technology that helps humans access other universes in the multiverse by way of a Matrix-like downloadable device worn on the ear that helps them do things, such as learn skills downloaded from other minds - themselves - throughout the multiverse. This is how they download skills like fighting, intelligence, and other bits and pieces of information that can help them against the big-bad villain they are facing at that moment.

There is one catch: in order to navigate these universes, they have to use something their ear piece calculates called "jump points". Statistically improbable actions within each universe that helps them make the jump from one self to another. But, jump points cannot be used more than once per person, so everyone needing to jump from a universe to another can only use that jump point once, leading to insane actions and events that have to happen for them to jump to another universe.

Through an insane journey through many different universes (and escalating weirdness), Evelyn must counter and fight Jobu Tupaki (Joy) as Jobu also jumps through a variety of different villains (including Evelyn's tax preparer - Deirdre Beaubeirdre (Jamie Lee Curtis) to prevent her bagel (a black hole she engineered) from sucking the life and everything out of existence throughout the known multiverse.

I found this movie a lot of fun, because I am a sucker for multiverse movies. The cast is also amazing. For those who don't know, who didn't see the Oscars on Sunday, cast member Ke Huy Quan was in the original Indiana Jones, the boy who hugs Indy. Ke and Harrison Ford hugged on Sunday after he won the Oscar for an emotional and amazing reunion by both actors. If you haven't seen Ke Huy Quan's acceptance speech, I highly recommend watching it on YouTube. It was an amazing Oscar moment.

I'm hoping this gives Universal at least some pause to REALLY consider rebooting Sliders, because of how popular it is to have won the Oscars that it did. From a multiverse movie, no less!

Re: Everything, Everywhere, All At Once Should Have Sliders Fans EXCITED.

Ke Huy Quan wasn't in Raiders, he was in Temple of Doom as Indy's sidekick

pilight wrote:

Ke Huy Quan wasn't in Raiders, he was in Temple of Doom as Indy's sidekick

Thank you for the correction, pilight. I couldn't remember exactly which one.

Okay. I was going to catch up with Marvel on Friday night, but I'll watch this instead.

This movie is so big I am having to watch it over the course of several days like a mini series rather than a movie.

The film is fascinating in the way it shifts tone when it goes from part one to part two and again at part three.  Movies rarely surprise me anymore, but this one did.

Yes. I thought so as well. It truly is a fun piece of cinema.

I really liked it.  I'm a little surprised it was nominated for best picture (let alone won) because I think it dipped into being too silly at times.  But I'm glad it did win, and I hope it inspires Hollywood to do more stuff like it.

I really liked this movie. Thank you to QuinnSlidr for recommending it. I really enjoyed a female Asian senior citizen citizen as the lead character of a fantasy epic with dialogue alternating between English, Mandarin and Cantonese. The movie is clearly on a low budget and staged across two main indoor locations (the laundromat and the IRS office), but it uses those two spaces for a wide range of psychological states for Evelyn's character.

Michelle Yeoh's Evelyn is highly compelling. The wonky, silly, goofy, threatening, dangerous tone of the film as Evelyn learns about her situation is hypnotic. Ke Huy Quan is incredible in shifting between different versions of the Waymond character.

As a multiverse story, this film doesn't have too much bearing on SLIDERS. It's not about alternate histories leading to a bizarre inversion of the present day like "The Weaker Sex" or "Eggheads". The alternate realities are defined in how they have different circumstances for Evelyn: she's a ninja, an actress, a businesswoman, a doctor, a janitor and Waymond has a beautiful line about how Evelyn's failed at so many things that she has created tremendous potential across all her realities for anything.

Evelyn has a hilariously petty moment where, when she first learns about the multiverse, her immediate desire is to tell her husband how in every parallel world, she's better off without him.

That said, two hours is a bit much to spend in the laundromat and the IRS office. This would probably have benefitted from being episodes in their separate parts watched on successive nights.

ireactions wrote:

I really liked this movie. Thank you to QuinnSlidr for recommending it. I really enjoyed a female Asian senior citizen citizen as the lead character of a fantasy epic with dialogue alternating between English, Mandarin and Cantonese. The movie is clearly on a low budget and staged across two main indoor locations (the laundromat and the IRS office), but it uses those two spaces for a wide range of psychological states for Evelyn's character.

Michelle Yeoh's Evelyn is highly compelling. The wonky, silly, goofy, threatening, dangerous tone of the film as Evelyn learns about her situation is hypnotic. Ke Huy Quan is incredible in shifting between different versions of the Waymond character.

As a multiverse story, this film doesn't have too much bearing on SLIDERS. It's not about alternate histories leading to a bizarre inversion of the present day like "The Weaker Sex" or "Eggheads". The alternate realities are defined in how they have different circumstances for Evelyn: she's a ninja, an actress, a businesswoman, a doctor, a janitor and Waymond has a beautiful line about how Evelyn's failed at so many things that she has created tremendous potential across all her realities for anything.

Evelyn has a hilariously petty moment where, when she first learns about the multiverse, her immediate desire is to tell her husband how in every parallel world, she's better off without him.

That said, two hours is a bit much to spend in the laundromat and the IRS office. This would probably have benefitted from being episodes in their separate parts watched on successive nights.

Anytime, ireactions. Anytime. smile

ireactions wrote:

That's because all the alternate reality stuff only exists in Evelyn's mind.

She's under so much pressure from her boring business, failing marriage, ailing father, mopey gay daughter, and the tax audit that she has a mental breakdown and her creative mind comes up with scenario after scenario of trying to make it better.  Deirdre says one of Evelyn's job is "novelist" and that's the one job mentioned we don't see in any of the alternate timelines because that's the basis of her creating all the rest in her head.  That's why there are no repercussions from all the incursions into the prime universe, none of it actually happened.

I think it's very important that we enjoy art on our specific terms. Our interpretations aren't necessarily right or wrong; they're simply our interpretations. We're all going to respond differently to a work of fiction especially one addressing perceptual understandings of reality.

That said, when Evelyn isn't looking, we see Waymond on the security cameras where his bearing and physicality suddenly change as the Alpha Waymond personality takes over his body and he performs some fancy acrobatics of which 'prime' Waymond is not capable. This occurs outside Evelyn's perspective and awareness from an objective third person perspective, so while Evelyn may be having a mental breakdown, these events appear to be happening in Evelyn's reality.

That was still in her imagination.  None of the customers noticed.

pilight wrote:

That was still in her imagination.  None of the customers noticed.

Whether or not the customers noticed Waymond bounding through the laundromat really has no bearing whether or not Evelyn is imagining the events of the film.

The customers aren't interested in Waymond and aren't watching him; Waymond's burst of agility is outside their line of sight, and more pertinently, it is outside Evelyn's line of sight.

This means that it cannot be in her imagination because she is not aware of it and Waymond's sudden physical abilities are outside her perspective, independent of her imagination, and genuinely taking place in the reality of the film.

If the fantastic events of the film were entirely in Evelyn's mind, there would be no extranormal events outside Evelyn's personal experience.