Re: Random Thoughts about TV, Film and Media

ireactions wrote:

I know I'm supposed to get up to speed with STAR TREK, but I suddenly felt this urgent need to rewatch XENA: WARRIOR PRINCESS which is a really fun show, basically Wonder Woman in a hilariously anachronistic-modernist mythological Greece.

Then it occurred to me that my XENA viewing experience would never truly be complete unless I also rewatched HERCULES: THE LEGENDARY JOURNEYS which is basically Superman in a hilariously anachronistic-modernist mythological Greece. Then it occurred to me my XENA-HERCULES viewing experience would never be truly complete unless I watched YOUNG HERCULES as well which is basically SMALLVILLE in a hilariously anachronistic-modernist mythological Greece.

These 90s syndicated fantasy shows are fun and Hercules and Xena are such great characters: Hercules is a relentlessly good natured, affable, charismatic hero (too bad Kevin Sorbo's gone insane) and Xena is like a female version of Wolverine: cunning, assertive, ruthless, noble, tormented, sardonic and with a bit of a mean streak.

May not be getting to STAR TREK any time soon...

Was Hercules with Ryan Gosling? 

I think I saw  it streaming on the NBC app a couple of years ago, pretty wild that existed.

Ryan Gosling in YOUNG HERCULES is due to a peculiar situation.

During the fourth season of HERCULES: THE LEGENDARY JOURNEYS, series-star Kevin Sorbo suffered a series of strokes. This led to partial vision loss and paralysis, anxiety attacks, trouble walking, fatigue, dizziness, and being unable to stand for more than 5 - 10 minutes.

While waiting for Sorbo to recover, Season 4 began episodes of HERCULES with minimal Hercules. There were episodes where Hercules went missing or had an offscreen mission and his friends Iolaus and Salmoneus and Autolycus had to take over. Writers pitched an episode where Hercules became a monkey, but due to the difficulty of securing trained monkeys, Hercules instead became a pig.

There were several episodes that focused on Hercules when he was a teenager and actor Ian Bohen took over the role.

For reasons I don't understand, the studio, Renaissance Pictures, decided to do a YOUNG HERCULES pilot with Ian Bohen and had Kevin Sorbo write Universal a letter saying that a YOUNG HERCULES spinoff series would be great for the franchise.

This is nonsensical to me. Teen and adult Hercules characters were the same character. What would be the point of having the same HERCULES show twice over?

Maybe the idea was that YOUNG HERCULES would have a 13 episode order to air between seasons of the adult HERCULES show.

The YOUNG HERCULES pilot was a successful TV movie, but Universal passed on doing a full YOUNG HERCULES hour-long syndicated show. Later, Renaissance and Universal pitched it to FOX Kids as a half-hour children's show.

FOX Kids picked it up for one season of 50 of 30 minute episodes at 50 million for the entire season... but then actor Ian Bohen declined to do the series, saying he didn't want to move from Los Angeles to New Zealand full time to do the show.

This is confusing: how could Renaissance Pictures have hired an actor to do a pilot but not secured him for the series?

I have to wonder if maybe, when Universal decided not to have two HERCULES shows with basically the same character, the cast contracts expired. Then came the opportunity to sell YOUNG HERCULES to the half-hour Saturday morning market, but all the actors needed new contracts and Ian Bohen decided not to sign a new agreement.

The YOUNG HERCULES TV movie aired in February 1998 and then in September 1999, I eagerly tuned into FOX Kids expecting to see Ian Bohen. But instead, it was Ryan Gosling in the costume.

It really threw me off. Gosling's presence alienated me from the show and I ended up not watching it. But I have become more relaxed about the recasting now.

I'm not familiar with Ryan Gosling's work, but watching HERCULES and XENA today: it's obvious that continuity is just whatever the writers can vaguely remember on a good day. Roles are frequently recast; guest-actors often play multiple characters across the shows (Lucy Lawless played two other roles in addition to Xena). The Bohen-Gosling change doesn't feel like a big deal anymore.

I don't think I saw more than 3 - 4 episodes, but looking at the Wikipedia entries: the show 'only' lasted one season of 50 episodes (!!) and is often described as a "failure" for this.

To me, 50 half hours strikes me as pretty solid and FOX Kids was, after all, a kids programming block that wouldn't have wanted to see the cast age into their 20s.

(Yes, POWER RANGERS had 145 episodes after three years, but POWER RANGERS was cannibalizing action and special effects footage from Japanese TV shows.)

YOUNG HERCULES was done very cheaply with one director shooting four episodes in one block using the same locations, guest-actors and sets across the four installments.

Due to the filming schedule, episodes were completed and aired out of order: characters would be part of the regular cast but then be introduced for the 'first' time, characters would leave the show in a departure story, but then be present for more episodes. Characters would be aware of certain secrets, but then learn them in a shocking reveal. Even on DVD with the episodes in production order, some misordering remains.

I wonder if it's any good. Some fans have provided a continuity-based episode order, so I'm looking forward to watching the series without those glitches.

This reminds me of a double-take I did at Universal Hollywood in 2014.  As part of the VIP pass, we had reserved seating at the live Waterworld show, so we took it in.

At the end, they introduced the cast, and the star of the show was noted to be Little Hercules.  I thought it was the original actor for Young Hercules that you mentioned, but it was actually this guy:

https://www.sportbible.com/athletics/wo … 2.amp.html

Well, this is interesting:

https://twitter.com/ItakGol/status/1645491031071236120

Posting this one in the tradition of TemporalFlux, real world meets SLIDERS.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/britain- … ef83037367

I'm way behind the curve, but I watched Severance through a free trial of Apple+.

Really interesting show.  I'm glad there's a season two because there are TONS of unanswered questions after season one.  But it's probably one of the most intriguing shows I've seen.

The great JRD learns a lesson from fans:

https://youtu.be/NOY-rFptKT8

Network executive Barry Diller, whom I remember from the Sci-Fi Channel days, had a suggestion for resolving the writers and actors' strike. He said that all top-paid executives and actors should take a 25 percent paycut (so Tom Cruise would only get $75 million instead of $100 million for a MISSION IMPOSSIBLE movie) to pay more to lower-waged actors. I don't know enough about this to say if this sounds fair and reasonable or if this is a sound-byte that is only superficially suited.

https://deadline.com/2023/07/barry-dill … 235439384/

I've read that studios want to pay extras for one day's work in digitizing their bodies and likenesses for CG crowds which studios want to use indefinitely. I think that if a studio is going to get a lifetime of work out of that extra, that extra should get a lifetime of pay, but I suspect a reasonable rate would be a lifetime of full-time minimum wage pay that they could continue to earn passively while doing something else to bring in more income.

This is an interesting article....  that  I don't yet understand

https://www.parrotanalytics.com/strateg … -pos-cons/

My intellect can't grasp that article nor can my attention span with dozens of graphs.

I found this interesting graph though this morning. It compares how Streaming vs TV use has changed since 2015.

Begins at 2:10
https://youtu.be/PRk5_ohCB70?t=130

slidecage.com
Twitter @slidersfanblog
Instagram slidersfanblog

Jim_Hall wrote:

My intellect can't grasp that article nor can my attention span with dozens of graphs.

I found this interesting graph though this morning. It compares how Streaming vs TV use has changed since 2015.

Begins at 2:10
https://youtu.be/PRk5_ohCB70?t=130

wow that was an awesome presentation

this is incredible:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/28/world/wo … index.html

ireactions had a pretty great summary of all the weird continuity errors in Star Trek in the original series.  The show essentially couldn't agree on what the Enterprise was doing or who Kirk worked for or what year it was.  But it was the 60s, and that kind of stuff doesn't happen anymore, right?  Not on good shows?

So I started watching Friday Night Lights recently.  I'm a(n American) football fan and I'd never seen it.  Not only that, but it's highly spoken of by one of my favorite TV reviewers (Alan Sepinwall).  Sepinwall wrote a book called The Revolution Was Televised about how 12 shows changed television, and I've loved just about every show he covered.  Friday Night Lights, being on Netflix, was a natural next one.

For those that don't know, Friday Night Lights is primarily about a high school football coach in small town Texas (where football is king).  Coach Taylor's wife is a counselor at the school, and their daughter goes to the school and is friends with some of the players.  The show also deals with some of the players and their personal lives.  I'll try not to spoil anything here, but if it would upset you to know any minor spoilers from Friday Night Lights (over a decade old), I'd stop reading now.

So we're introduced in the first episode to the main cast of high schoolers.  Jason Street is the star quarterback who is nationally known and highly recruited.  Lyla is his devoted girlfriend.  Tim Riggins is his best friend.  Tyra is his on again/off again fling.  We are also introduced to Matt Saracen, the backup quarterback in Jason's shadow.  Matt's best friend is Landry, a musician who doesn't play football.  Matt has a crush on Julie, the coach's daughter.  The other main castmember is Brian "Smash" Williams, but he's not really connected to any of the main cast outside of also playing football.

When you look at the cast, there's a clear divider.  Jason, Tim, and Lyla all hang out together (Tyra is around as well but not as close).  Matt and Landry hang out and eventually Julie gets into the group.  And the way that both groups hang out, it's generally assumed that each group of kids is the same age.

So season one deals with the competition between Street and Saracen to be the starting quarterback (I won't say any more than that).  At the end of the season, Jason has graduated, but in season 2, Lyla and Tyra and Tim are still in school.  It's later confirmed that the three of them were sophomores in season one, and Jason was the lone senior of the group.

It's obvious why it was done.  Jason was clearly a senior in the show and his story moves on to other things.  And as the show finds out time and time again, once people graduate or leave the high school, the writers no longer know what to do with them.  The show is about a high school and doesn't handle juggling very well.

But it feels disingenuous.  It also doesn't feel right that Matt, who spends most of season one feeling like an outsider, is the same age as Tim and Lyla.  There was a clear divider in season one.

Now I'm not saying this isn't possible, especially in a smaller school in a smaller town.  Seniors can be best friends with people younger than them, and Tim Riggins is a larger than life guy.  But it's generally harder to be friends with people that aren't in the same grade as you.  Sure, football connected Tim and Jason, but they would've only been at the same school every couple of years.  They probably wouldn't have played on the same team that often.  Their friendship doesn't work as well.  Especially because Tim isn't in the same stratosphere as Jason in terms of football talent.  It just feels strange.

The show does it again in season three when it's time for all those guys to graduate.  It was established that Matt, Tyra, Lyla, and Tim were all going to graduate, but having already had to deal with Jason and Smash graduating (and not knowing what to do with them post-graduation), they make another move.  Now Julie and Landry are a year younger.  So they were freshmen in season one.

Again, it's possible that Matt and Landry were friends outside of just being in the same grade, but it just isn't ever mentioned.  Season one doesn't deal with Landry or Julie dealing with their first year of high school.  The older group all being seniors and the younger group all being sophomores makes sense.  But unlike some of the graduated football players, they couldn't write Julie off the show - she's the main character's daughter.  And I think they realized what they had with Jesse Plemons and wanted him to stick around in season 4.

It just felt weird to me.

The show is great though.  I've really enjoyed it (even the much-maligned season two which was mangled by the writers' strike).  The ages of the kids just feels really odd.

I haven't seen FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS, but it seems to me from your description that FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS, in trying to keep its cast together and in the same scenes, had to muddy its timeline and the ages of its characters into something less defined so that the character ages wouldn't overtly contradict their ongoing presence in the show.

I'm not familiar enough with the show to say if it's a serious issue or if it's a minor concern. A writing mentor of mine once said that continuity is a tool to add a sense of myth, history and context to a story and often declared that issues like the THE X-FILES' incoherent mythos or Laurie Strode's fate or ages of characters are immaterial and irrelevant. I am personally a little more continuity aligned where I think it can be a lot of fun to look at where a fictional universe holds together and where there are gaps, and I think it's important to eventually get things consistent enough to avoid confusion. I'm not bothered that James T. Kirk seems to be working for Spacefleet / Space Central / Star Service etc. if they eventually settle on Starfleet and stick with it.

I think all shows have continuity errors, but modern shows put more effort into obscuring them. Older TV shows were often written by writers who had not necessarily seen very many of the previous episodes because watching them required special visits for a screening in an edit room. In addition, there was the expectation that episodes would be broadcast as opposed to viewed on demand where audiences might be reviewing and looking more closely. Modern shows are written with the understanding that the immediate story may be more important than avoiding contradictions, but they still try to smooth them over, sometimes with a quippy line, sometimes by having Starfleet classify two seasons of DISCOVERY.

FRINGE is a favourite show of ours that has some pretty enormous continuity discrepancies: the series premiere has John Scott trying to kill his girlfriend Olivia Dunham by running her off the road only to die in the resulting car accident; later in the season, John is revealed to have been a hero who was undercover and his attempt on Olivia's life is acknowledged (OLIVIA: "You tried to kill me!") and then gently ignored (JOHN: "No, Liv. I loved you") and never explained. We're supposed to vaguely think that John was just trying to escape in his car; we're encouraged not to remember the pilot episode too much.

We get a glimpse of an alternate universe in Season 1 and it's completely mismatched to our full view of the same alternate universe in Season 2. In Season 1, the Peter character is being hunted by a local Boston crime boss; this is forgotten. Season 2 introduces a new Fringe agent, Amy Jessup (Meghan Markle) who disappears after a cameo in her second episode.

FRINGE tried to deal with its errors with sentiment, misdirection and distance. John Scott was revisited after a long run of episodes without him and his redemption story validated Olivia. An late Season 1 episode had Peter urgently avoiding someone assumed to be the crime boss; it turned out to be somebody else and then Peter's situation was forgotten.

Nearly an entire season passed before we saw the alternate universe in detail again, letting the audience forget how it had first appeared.

Amy Jessup was glimpsed in a cameo role with the unspoken implication that she would come in and out as needed; she never came back in. In each case, the viewer was subtly encouraged to not think about something 'for now', and sometimes, 'for now' became forever, and the show tried to let the viewer forget that all this once mattered. It didn't matter anymore.

HEROES is one of those shows where its continuity failures unfortunately tore it apart. I can't get into all of HEROES' continuity issues, but the main one: characters with powers each had a strange DNA helix symbol appear on their bodies. This meant their powers came from a specific source that had branded metahumans. In addition, all metahumans' powers reflected their user's psychological makeup: Peter's empathy made him mimic other people's powers, Nathan's distance made him fly, Claire's resiliency made her invulnerable, Hiro feeling like life was passing him by made him a time traveller, etc.

The implication: everyone with powers had been genetically altered by whoever created the helix symbol and given them the genetic potential to express their innermost states via their specific superpower. The alteration may have taken place before they were born, perhaps some sort of wide population experiment.

HEROES in Season 2 features Takezo Kensei, a 17th century swordsman whose blade has the helix symbol and has the power of cellular regeneration. The indication: everyone's powers in the present day are part of an experiment to recreate Kensei's gift, likely by randomly applying his genetic factors to test subjects without their knowledge. I'm just speculating, but I suspect this was laid down by Season 1 producer Bryan Fuller who left the show before Season 2 but after seeding some arcs.

Unfortunately, HEROES lost the (implied) genetic engineering orgin story. There was never any explanation for the helix, no origin story for the powers. I suspect the issue was the writer's strike curtailing Season 2. When the show remounted for Season 3, Takezo Kensei's actor, David Anders, had limited availability. HEROES dismissed Kensei and his symbol and all the hints and clues that came with him. And so, it discarded all the origin story implied by those clues. This also meant that HEROES lost its hold on the core theme of the show: the characters' powers were an expression of the characters' internal state. Without that framework, the writers lost sight of the characters: Peter was no longer defined by empathy nor Claire by resilience, Mohinder became a mutated reptile villain for half a season, the everyman Ando got superpowers that didn't speak to who he was at all. This was a situation where continuity actually mattered and they lost it.

However, HEROES does feature one of my favourite continuity patches. Mohinder's accent was originally Indian but the creators decided, a few episodes into filming, that they wanted him to have an English accent, perhaps it would convey more authority and full command of the English language (and scientific English). Actor Sendhil Ramamurthy proceeded to have Mohinder's accent gradually shift from Indian to English over course of Episodes 2 - 4 so that the change wouldn't be too distracting. This didn't really matter, but it's funny.

One of my favourite continuity issues: the demon-killing Colt was an essential prop in SUPERNATURAL. In the fifth season, the Colt fails to kill the Devil. The Colt is not seen for the rest of the season and it's unclear: was it dropped at the battle scene and lost? In late Season 6, it's finally established that the heroes lost the Colt in Season 5 and don't know where it is. Where did it go? Why did the writers take over a season to finally follow up on its whereabouts? Why was the follow up just a halfhearted shrug as to where the Colt had gone? Why did the writers lose track of the Colt, a vital weapon? This continuity issue was confusing and distracting. This mattered.

For years, I would randomly say to my SUPERNATURAL-fan niece for no good reason whatsoever, "Say -- whatever happened to the Colt?" This refrain became so obnoxious that at one point, she and I were playing the SUPERNATURAL edition of the board game CLUE and she threw the Colt gamepiece at me in highly understandable rage.

Slider_Quinn21 actually explained this: Season 5 was intended as the final season. When the Colt failed to kill Lucifer, it became irrelevant to the series, so the showrunner didn't follow up on it. When SUPERNATURAL made it to a sixth season (and the original showrunner left), the Season 6 writers realized: they had no idea where the Colt was. It was not retrieved on camera; it was not seen for the rest of Season 5. This meant the writers could not credibly show it in the heroes possession, nor did they know how to follow up on its present location as the Season 5 episodes had left no clues. And it wasn't that important because once the Colt failed to kill the Devil, it didn't matter anymore.

However, in Season 12, the writers wanted to do a PULP FICTION-esque heist film that required an important artifact; they chose the Colt as the artifact and finally explained where it had been since Season 5. They had a reason to use it again. And then, a few episodes later, they destroyed it, after which my niece smugly phoned me and said, "I dare you to ask me what happened to the Colt from now on."

MISSION IMPOSSIBLE isn't a TV show anymore, but one thing I find hilarious is how the Impossible Missions Force never seems like the same organization in each movie. In M:I1, IMF teams are assembled by the US from civilian or espionage for individual missions and then disperse upon completion or failure, the IMF has no fixed headquarters or facilities, and outside of a mission, the IMF ceases to exist. In M:I2, the IMF is composed of individual field agents who are assinged support staff from different fields for each mission.

In MI:3, the IMF is become a secret federal agency with offices, dedicated support teams, IMF-specific training programs, a CIA-style arrangement of divisions and hierarchy, and is a full organization rather than a mission-by-mission recruitment practice. In M:I4, the IMF is a black ops agency so distant and outside federal government that the President can dissolve it in a single memo. In M:I5, the former IMF is described specifically as Ethan Hunt's team, and the IMF is reinstated at the end. In M:I6, the IMF is a covert team within the CIA consisting of Ethan Hunt and his associates.

In M:I7, the IMF is described this way: when the CIA or NSA have a mission too complex or difficult for themselves, they "leave word" with "a man" who decides whether or not he'll accept the mission, implying that the IMF is now just Ethan Hunt and his direct associates. Paradoxically, there's a scene where Ethan welcomes a new IMF agent who doesn't appear again, suggesting Ethan is just one agent among many, suggesting that the IMF is merely a conduit to reach Ethan as opposed to being Ethan's employer. Also strangely, Ethan describes the process of being recruited by the IMF: the prospective agent must approach the recruiter and that recruiter is the CIA Director.

Somehow, MISSION IMPOSSIBLE manages to make these discrepancies trivial and irrelevant. MISSION IMPOSSIBLE movies aren't about the Impossible Missions Force. It's about Ethan, and the IMF only exists to justify Ethan Hunt's missions. In five out of seven movies, Ethan has been branded a rogue agent and isn't even working for the IMF. The IMF morphs into whatever the plot needs it to be for Ethan to be a field agent supported by a small team; the IMF will also morph into an antagonist should the plot require that Ethan be a fugitive for the story. It just doesn't matter.

Do the character ages actually matter on FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS? I don't know. I've never seen it.

ireactions wrote:

Do the character ages actually matter on FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS? I don't know. I've never seen it.

At the end of the day, I say no.  The show is good and there's no Star-Trek-like open continuity errors in dialogue.  The show never tells the characters' ages, and any continuity errors are simply based on assumptions or logic.  Jason Street and Tim Riggins are best friends.  They happen to be different ages and wouldn't have had any classes together or worked on projects together or been on the same football team.  They are two years apart (an enormous gap from my experience) but met at some point and became very close friends.  Same with Landry and Matt.

The differences in the girls' ages is less of a thing because high school girls' tend to work their way into the lives of older boys.

The show never said anything, and that's okay.

The other interesting thing about Friday Night Lights, which ties into your examples, is the Writer's Strike.  Season two of FNL is pretty reviled by the fanbase, mostly because of a hysterically stupid storyline where one of the characters kills someone (in self defense) and tries to cover it up.  The show occasionally tries to ingratiate itself into the world of crime, and it never really works out. 

Season two also follows up on a lot of season two storylines.  Superfan Buddy Garrity tries to bring street-smart Santiago onto the team to play defense, even allowing him to live in his home.  Smash Williams tries to toe the line between being socially conscious of being a black man with some name power in a somewhat-racist town in Texas.  He starts to lose some of his scholarship opportunities because of it.  Lyla becomes religious and rejects the advances of Tim by dating another boy from church.  Meanwhile the team is trying to repeat the successes from the previous season.

But after episode 15 of the season...the strike ends the season.

Now on most shows, they could pick up where the last season left off.  But Friday Night Lights moves one year at a time with each season being the full football season.  I guess we'll never know.

EXCEPT....

Friday Night Lights just moves on.  Not just as if nothing happened but moves on as if the remaining 7 episodes happened and aired.  There are references to things that happened (Smash got his scholarship situation figured out but then got hurt, Lyla and Tim ended up together, etc) and there are some "flashback" scenes that show some of the things that happened but it's no more than would've happened in a typical "reset the stage" scene.

It's both clever and bizarre.  They don't do enough to cause any problems, but it does give you a bit of whiplash as you try to distinguish between the stuff that actually happened and the stuff that you don't remember because it didn't air.  The show always does this in some sense because each season ends in November/December and starts back up in July/August.  So there's always a time jump and stuff always happens in the time jump.  But it's just a bit bizarre for the show to be like "we had a plan and we're sticking with it, whether those episodes aired or not"

............... is there some sort of FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS media tie-in that fills in the continuity gap? A novel, comic book, audioplay, webisode, app, puppet show, picturebook or cereal box? Is the writers' strike the reason the character ages got muddy?

I've only ever seen a few examples of this. THE BLACKLIST had a spinoff, THE BLACKLIST: REDEMPTION that got cancelled after one season on a cliffhanger. THE BLACKLIST parent show continued to behave as though the spin-off REDEMPTION was still on the air and would refer to the offscreen characters and then had a vaguely described resolution to the cliffhanger.

However, it seems strangely common in comic books. One standout example: The BATMAN RIP storyline ended with Batman in a helicopter explosion, presumed dead... except that Batman was also appearing in FINAL CRISIS where was also thought to be killed off in a fight with Darkseid. It took two years before an issue of BATMAN called "The Missing Chapter" explained that Bruce survived the helicopter explosion, and then engaged in the events of FINAL CRISIS. Shortly after BATMAN RIP, we got BATMAN AND ROBIN REBORN (2008) where Dick Grayson was Batman and Damian Wayne was Robin. Naturally, one would expect a Superman story where Superman has to adjust to Dick being Batman instead of Robin. And we got one... in 2010. Two years after BATMAN AND ROBIN had started.

One weird event: SILVER SURFER Volume 1 #18 (1970) ends with the Surfer declaring war on all humanity. The comic was promptly cancelled with this issue. The Surfer showed up five months later in SUB MARINER, but instead of wanting to destroy humanity, the Surfer was merely avoiding people. A resolution only arrived in 1999, 29 years later, in WEBSPINNERS #4 - 6 where Spider-Man faces the savage Surfer and they learn that the Surfer was affected by a telepathic villain.

I've seen the opposite of this: HEROES had a bizarre continuity implant: the second half of Season 3 had Sylar joining the federal taskforce hunting down evolved humans. One episode, in the recap sequence for previous episodes, showed Sylar stealing the identity of a Homeland Security agent. This never happened in any previous episode; the scene was shot specifically for the recap sequence and presented amidst actual previous-episode footage. It was so jarring and offputting, everyone watching the show knew that the scene was not from a previous episode. I wonder what they thought the writers thought they were getting away with.

ireactions wrote:

............... is there some sort of FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS media tie-in that fills in the continuity gap? A novel, comic book, audioplay, webisode, app, puppet show, picturebook or cereal box? Is the writers' strike the reason the character ages got muddy?

As far as I'm aware, there's nothing that fills in the gap.  I think they liked the stories they came with and built on them.  Time had moved on, they needed to start a new year, and they do their best to catch up the audience.

(Spoilers for seasons 2-3 of Friday Night Lights if you're still reading this and care)

It is jarring though.  The previous season, like many strike-shortened seasons, just sorta ends at the end of a random episode.  But they're clearly building to some interesting things.  The team is trying to sneak into the playoffs after a rough start.  Smash has swallowed his pride and has committed to a historically black college that really wanted him.  Lyla is pulling away from her old friends and her old ways.  Buddy has essentially adopted this street-wise kid who is trying to improve his own life and get away from his dangerous friends.

But the season ends abruptly, and when you start up the season 3 premiere, things are just different.  Smash is hurt, his scholarship is gone, and he's trying to rehab.  Lyla and Tim are just together with no explanation.  They explain how the last season ended (Smash got hurt and the team couldn't rebound).  Santiago is just gone with no explanation of where he went or what happened to him (it's one of the threads they just abandoned).

It isn't bad.  It just feels bizarre.  But season 3 is better than season 2 so I was happy to move on.

I don't think the strike had anything to do with the ages.  I think they wrote season one a certain way and probably considered Tim/Lyla/Tyra to all be seniors.  Maybe they originally meant for it to be an anthology series or focus on different groups of players?  But since Jason was the only one who was specifically mentioned to be graduating at any point, they ran with that idea.  And not only did it allow them to shave a year off them all, they were able to shave two full years off everyone.

There are no continuity breaks as far as I'm aware, and it works.  It just feels weird when you think too hard about it.  Jason, the big man on campus, is just friends with a bunch of sophomores, and we never meet anyone else he graduated with.

What do you guys think?

https://www.cancelledscifi.com/2023/09/ … i-fi-fans/

I've always thought there was some arrogance there not to embrace their brand and air a show that was part of their history in SLIDERS.  It hasnt been in re-runs on the network since like 2008 or something.  If SyFy wants to have a niche, I am sorry, you've got to understand what people will tune into a linear channel for.  Nobody is looking for prestige tv on cable.

hate to see this
https://www.mediaplaynews.com/some-targ … footprint/

Back to the Future is back in theaters Oct. 21, one night only:

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/Bac … Future-Day

I wonder if it'll be the saturated, colour-popping version or the washed out, VHS looking version.

The Sci-Fi Channel, I feel, didn't really support SLIDERS. They wanted to cancel it almost as soon as they'd acquired it; they bought the license but didn't bother to mandate keeping Tracy Torme or John Rhys-Davies and Sabrina Lloyd. I don't know why they bought it only to dismiss it, and neither do they; apparently, the regime that had bought the license from FOX/Universal left and a totally different team was handling the actual Season 4 that aired. Sci-Fi didn't care about building SLIDERS as a franchise, they just wanted to sweep half of SLIDERS' viewers to FIRST WAVE and WELCOME TO PARADOX. (Thank you, TF.)

Syfy constantly chronically underinvested in their shows and was always keen to cancel them instead of growing an audience at first; they brought over existing shows for the audience, but they never put in the work to sustain and increase that audience. Even with their own shows: they underfunded DARK MATTER and KRYPTON and cancelled both; they sabotaged STARGATE when its producers sought a different network after Syfy cancelled the last STARGATE series. Syfy is known as a network that cancels its shows before its budgets increase, a network that isn't worth the audience's time and interest because Syfy doesn't give their shows much time or interest. Syfy is mostly in the business of airing other studios' productions in the United States as an uninvested broadcaster, airing what it doesn't own and not developing programming to keep viewership.

There could have been a great science fiction TV channel, but the Sci-Fi Channel really never put in the time or effort to be that channel and Syfy was pretty much the same. However, in 2021, Syfy did do something unusual: when WYNONNA EARP's studio, IDW, had funding issues, Syfy made up the difference with an increased licensing fee to fund the fourth and final season.

Looking at their current slate, Syfy seems to only have five shows right now and all of them premiered in 2021 or later. They have not sustained their programming. Their brand identity is cancellation.

One of my favourite comic books is INSUFFERABLE by Mark Waid, which was released as a digital comic on the unfortunately now defunct web comic site Thrillbent. And, for some strange reason, I can't seem to buy the digital comics even when they're said to be for sale. And I wanted to read it again, so I grudgingly bought the hard copy, a trade paperback containing the entire series for $45 USD.

This 2012 comic is about two former superhero partners: the hard-edged, seasoned Nocturnus who trained his teen sidekick Galahad in the ways of crimefighting only for Galahad to become an ungrateful jerk who was also more successful and popular than Nocturnus who now has to struggle to hold back his resentment.

Anyway, the comic came in the mail yesterday. I haven't bought a hard copy book in over ten years. This trade paperback is so heavy and thick with its 440 heavy, glossy pages opening it makes me fear I will break the spine. There are two pages, Pages 139 and 140, that are printed in reverse order by mistake. I had to install new lightbulbs in my bedroom lamp to read it because I've been deliberately keeping the light dim for reading on my e-reader or my tablet and this is the first thing I've read in years that doesn't have a backlight of some sort. Reading INSUFFERABLE is inconvenient and a little annoying.

That said, the comic remains one of the funniest takes on superheroes ever and it is well worth the trouble and expense. I'm going to scan and print Pages 139 - 140 and use double-sided tape to put them back in the book in the correct order.

It's a great series. I wrote about it earlier:

ireactions wrote:

This is a post about the comic book INSUFFERABLE, by Mark Waid.

The Stars: In the late 90s and early 2000s, the top superhero comic book writers were (and arguably still are) Grant Morrison, Mark Millar and Mark Waid.

Grant Morrison is an eccentric visionary of crazy cosmic ideas who wrote JLA, NEW X-MEN and ALL-STAR SUPERMAN. Mark Millar is the hypersardonic and action-oriented writer of CIVIL WAR, ULTIMATE X-MEN and THE ULTIMATES and also creator of WANTED, KICK-ASS and KINGSMAN.

Mark Waid reformatted traditional superhero stories with modern wit and high adventure pacing and hyperdramatic turns of plot and comedy with science adventures in THE FLASH and FANTASTIC FOUR, hilarious comedy in DAREDEVIL, spy thrillers in CAPTAIN AMERICA and some brilliant creator owned material with detective stories in THE UNKNOWN and POTTER'S FIELD and dark superhero horror in IRREDEEMABLE and INCORRUPTIBLE.

The Partners: Grant Morrison and Mark Millar were friends in the 90s. Morrison was renowned for his fourth-wall breaking work on ANIMAL MAN in the 80s and his BATMAN: ARKHAM ASYLUM oneshot. Millar approached Morrison for advice on breaking into the industry.

Morrison saw Millar's talent and collaborated with him in order to get Millar hired. Together, they co-wrote SWAMP THING and THE FLASH and worked together on project pitches that led to Millar becoming a comic book star on THE AUTHORITY, THE ULTIMATES and SUPERMAN: RED SON.

The Breakup: However, on the last three, Millar took sole credit and did not credit Morrison's contributions to Morrison -- which apparently upset Morrison, especially when he had consulted extensively, offered ideas and plot points and even ghost-written an issue of AUTHORITY for Millar. This ended their partnership.

Grant Morrison's writing is eccentric and bizarre with peculiar ideas Superman fighting an angelic invasion of Earth, an intelligent virus that transforms into an addictive drug to mind control mutants, Batman creating a backup personality for his brain in the event of a nervous breakdown -- matched with an upbeat, gleeful joy for all the wild ideas of superheroes and a grand, epic scale of action.

Mark Millar's style is very action-oriented with a dark sense of comedy (a homicidal 10 year old superheroine) and while his post-Morrison writing has lacked Morrison's mind-expanding ideas, Millar has shown a gift for crafting comics as visual concepts perfect for film pitches that led to WANTED, KICK-ASS and KINGSMAN becoming box office hits.

Insufferable: Grant Morrison often gives interviews describing the inner workings of his mind and how he believes he was visited by aliens to impart their concepts to humans via the medium of comic books and how this had nothing to do with the hallucinogens he'd ingested and how he finds that far too many comic book writers think only in terms of reiterating superhero tropes and old continuity. Mark Millar relentlessly hypes his brand with his film pitches in comic book form and makes constant reference to hobnobbing with celebrities and studios to present himself as a film producer first and a comic book writer second.

The Response: Their mutual friend, Mark Waid, remarked in an editorial that he found arrogance to be obnoxious and annoying and that it would enrage him, and his therapist would frequently remark to Waid, "Why be mad?"

Mark Waid wrote:

I was reading an interview with one of them and as he blathered relentlessly on about what a genius he was and how tiny the rest of us were, I remembered the phrase, "Why be mad?" and instead expressed my frustrations creatively through the language I know best: comics. I'd do an ongoing series about two former partners where the junior one grew up to be an ungrateful jerk and the senior one would have to labor hard to choke back his resentment.

It is very interesting to read INSUFFERABLE because despite these origins, the actual characters of John (the older insufferable) and Jarod (the younger insufferable) have shifted from their real-life counterparts.

John in INSUFFERABLE is not a Grant Morrison-like eccentric genius at all; he is a troubled, sad, withdrawn, driven, tactical and while he is clearly a better crimefighter, he has no false modesty and can back up any and all of his boasts. He does, however, relentlessly chastise his former partner for any shortcomings. He is not full of lunatic concepts; all of his ideas are tactical approaches to fighting crime.

Part of me wonders if Waid made this choice deliberately because, as Waid concedes in his editorial, "Ideas are not a series and jokes are not a character," perhaps thinking that a pastiche of Grant Morrison would be a limited character template. The rest of me wonders if Morrison is so bizarre that any attempt to pastiche him would be hopeless. In addition, Waid has declared, "Grant and I have always been the best of friends," so it's possible that Waid's stated vitriol is for Millar and Millar only.

Jarod is certainly more like Mark Millar than John is like Morrison. Jarod is primarily fixated on how his superhero exploits will create a splash in the news and on social media, a marked criticism of Millar concocting superhero comics largely in terms of how he can market them for notoriety and he is relentless in trying to assert his former mentor's irrelevance.

Having a fictional character mimic the showboating Mark Millar is significantly easier, but it's intriguing that Waid largely confines his (forgiving) contempt towards Jarod. Waid presents Jarod as a talented but self-destructive oaf who is crippled by his inability to act on anything other than his anger towards his former partner while John is the more stable and responsible half of the equation.

But regardless. Waid has really hit on something. INSUFFERABLE is a great superhero comic with two hilariously dysfunctional people who are forced by circumstance to work together long after they realized they could not stand to be around each other. Their broken partnership is a joy to watch in the face of rising supervillain threats. And throughout the entire series and right to its finale, Waid's therapist's philosophy rings true. Waid was upset by his friends. He was offended. He was hurt.

But: "Why be mad?" Be constructive. Be creative.

503 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2023-10-12 19:15:30)

Best Buy wont be selling physical media

https://twitter.com/thedigitalbits/stat … 4381002903

https://www.mediaplaynews.com/wheres-the-love/

I saw Back to the Future last night via Fathom Events.  There is another date on Wed. Oct. 25.

It was my first time seeing it in theaters (part I that is).

It was spectacular.  I definitely felt like I was watching something that I hadn't *quite* seen before in a way.  It just altered the experience.

It was also really great to see a diverse audience age wise.  There were 8 year olds who were super into it and grey hair folks as well.   It really is a timeless piece of work and masterfully written, shot and acted.

If you can make it to an Oct. 25 screening and like the film, I suggest it.

Also the image looked great and whatever they did in the last blu-ray release on the picture, I dont think was used for this screening.

This sounds fun! I don't think I have watched BACK TO THE FUTURE in ages. Did the theatrical screening use a cut with the TO BE CONTINUED wording at the end of the film? Or did it show as it did in theatres without the explicit promise of a sequel?

ireactions wrote:

This sounds fun! I don't think I have watched BACK TO THE FUTURE in ages. Did the theatrical screening use a cut with the TO BE CONTINUED wording at the end of the film? Or did it show as it did in theatres without the explicit promise of a sequel?

I didn't see the TO BE CONTINUED, and I looked for it..

was that a gag on the home video release?  Or was it originally in theaters for part i?

THE LOST ROOM is on vudu, streaming free.  Might be free elsewhere.  I havent seen it but know ireactions is a fan.

RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan wrote:
ireactions wrote:

I didn't see the TO BE CONTINUED, and I looked for it..

was that a gag on the home video release?  Or was it originally in theaters for part i?

Actually, thinking about it, it was only ever on the VHS release.

First episode of Netflix's Blue Eye Samurai is free on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm73ma6Ibcs

November 5, 1955!  That was the day Doc invented time travel.

"I remember it vividly. I was standing on the edge of my toilet hanging a clock, the porcelain was wet, I slipped, hit my head on the sink, and when I came to, I had a revelation!"

Happy November 5!

I had a free weekend for Starz, and I took advantage of that to watch John Wick 4.  But prior to that, I needed to rewatch the first three movies.  John Wick, for an original movie that is very straightforward and simple, has some of the most complex and fascinating world building that I'm aware of.  It's cartoonish and silly, but it's really interesting.

And what I like about it is that it's clearly a set of movies made by stunt guys that want to showcase some of the cool ideas they've had in the past.  The fights, while cartoonish, are choreographed in such a fun way.  And even though the movies start with John being a very vulnerable and human (and by the end, he's invincible), it still feels real (for the most part).  And because it was so stunt-focused, I think they could've gone the Fast and Furious route and just had John fight a brother out for revenge each movie, I think it's pretty cool that they decided to go with this outrageously complicated world.

And while I had to abandon everything else I was watching to watch these four movies over the holiday weekend, it was a lot of fun.  Keanu is great, the supporting characters are great, and the world is just a lot of fun to explore.

Anyone else like these movies?

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

I had a free weekend for Starz, and I took advantage of that to watch John Wick 4.  But prior to that, I needed to rewatch the first three movies.  John Wick, for an original movie that is very straightforward and simple, has some of the most complex and fascinating world building that I'm aware of.  It's cartoonish and silly, but it's really interesting.

And what I like about it is that it's clearly a set of movies made by stunt guys that want to showcase some of the cool ideas they've had in the past.  The fights, while cartoonish, are choreographed in such a fun way.  And even though the movies start with John being a very vulnerable and human (and by the end, he's invincible), it still feels real (for the most part).  And because it was so stunt-focused, I think they could've gone the Fast and Furious route and just had John fight a brother out for revenge each movie, I think it's pretty cool that they decided to go with this outrageously complicated world.

And while I had to abandon everything else I was watching to watch these four movies over the holiday weekend, it was a lot of fun.  Keanu is great, the supporting characters are great, and the world is just a lot of fun to explore.

Anyone else like these movies?

I've been confused by their success frankly lol

Wick movies are beyond violent to the point of being senseless.  Then again, my feed is inundated by stupid friends lathering Mortal Kombat movies.

Have I been desensitized to movies enough that I don't think they're all that violent?  A ton of people die, yes, but I don't think they're gory or bloody at all.  Most Wick action scenes are him rolling into a room and a million guys pouring in.  He fights with one guy, does a headshot and moves on.  Repeat a million times.  But I don't think there's much gratuitous violence - despite a million headshots, I don't think there's any shots of murdered people.  No skull fragments or missing limbs or anything like that.  People bleed when they're shot but I don't think we see that many wounds.

I wouldn't say it is as violent as the Walking Dead, and I don't think it's anywhere near what the Boys is.

Has Grizzlor actually bothered to watch the JOHN WICK and MORTAL KOMBAT movies before spouting a dismissive opinion about them and calling his friends and anyone who watches them "stupid"? Or is this another off the cuff reaction of uninformed ignorance like Grizzlor writing off LOWER DECKS before he'd seen it and PRODIGY when he'd never seen it or claiming that Tom Holland would never do a VENOM movie when he's not only worked on them but would have to if Sony decreed it?

I ask merely for the information. (I take it these friends on Grizzlor's social media feeds aren't close friends.)

I haven't seen the JOHN WICK films myself, but there's certainly a market for Keanu Reeves engaged in combat as THE MATRIX would indicate. And of the WICK films are budgeted to earn revenue that exceeds the cost of making them, I imagine Slider_Quinn21 will have many splendid weekends to enjoy more of these films.

And as for MORTAL KOMBAT, the first MORTAL KOMBAT movie is a minor achievement of cinematic competence by the very shaky Paul WS Anderson who has produced many other incompetent movies. Because I like women fighting monsters (BUFFY style), I've struggled through most of the RESIDENT EVIL movies which are an experience in filmic torment. And the second MORTAL KOMBAT film is one of the most hilariously inept movies ever made that actually should be watched by film students as an example in what not to do. Have never seen the reboot.

I think of the original Mortal Kombat as one of my guiltiest pleasures.  I still enjoy that movie quite a bit.  Annihilation is one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

The newest remake is...fine?

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

Have I been desensitized to movies enough that I don't think they're all that violent?  A ton of people die, yes, but I don't think they're gory or bloody at all.  Most Wick action scenes are him rolling into a room and a million guys pouring in.  He fights with one guy, does a headshot and moves on.  Repeat a million times.  But I don't think there's much gratuitous violence - despite a million headshots, I don't think there's any shots of murdered people.  No skull fragments or missing limbs or anything like that.  People bleed when they're shot but I don't think we see that many wounds.

I wouldn't say it is as violent as the Walking Dead, and I don't think it's anywhere near what the Boys is.

I agree with you, Slider_Quinn21. I don't think John Wick is all that violent at all, either. They're one of my favorite movie series of all time, and I enjoy a rewatch every now and again. For me, I dislike gory, violent movies but I did not dislike John Wick at all. I also wouldn't count it among the worst I have seen in this area.

And yes, I've seen all 4. Bring on #5!!!

Yes ireactions, I did BOTHER to watch the first and second John Wick, and IMO they featured Keanu killing a ton of people.  It's Neo-noir.  I'm not seeing 3 or 4 or whatever, no interest.  Granted Wick 4 is supposedly the least violent, it's runtime of nearly three hours is reason enough for me to pass. 

My point on MK was that the 90s movie were cheesy, as a video game movie should be.  The remake(s) though are nothing like those, and I saw it on HBO Max, and yes, it was very violent, and frankly, stunk.

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

I think of the original Mortal Kombat as one of my guiltiest pleasures.  I still enjoy that movie quite a bit.  Annihilation is one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

The newest remake is...fine?

I still maintain that everyone should watch ANNIHILATION if only to appreciate what happens when scripting, cinematography, performance and basic editing fall away from a project, all to better appreciate it when a movie does care about such things.

Also, it led to this delightful bad movie review-retrospective of the entire film:
https://jabootu.net/?p=610

ireactions wrote:

I still maintain that everyone should watch ANNIHILATION if only to appreciate what happens when scripting, cinematography, performance and basic editing fall away from a project, all to better appreciate it when a movie does care about such things.

Annihilation came out at a time when I basically thought every movie that came out was awesome.  This was one of the first movies that came out that I walked out thinking, "wait, was that not awesome?"

It looks to me like ANNIHILATION was rushed into theatres before the script was ready. The studio set a fast filming date and simply recast when many of the actors were filming other projects, discarding their options. It seems to me that they were trying to turn another low budget, high return film and didn't think that the MORTAL KOMBAT popularity would last long enough to wait and refine their work or get Paul WS Anderson back. The economics were probably hard: MK1 cost $20 million, needed to make $60 million to turn a profit, and made $120 million.

The sequel, at $30 million, needed to make $90 million to turn a profit, and even if it met the original film's box office, it would not be as profitable. And every day that passed saw the MORTAL KOMBAT craze waning, so they hurried and ended up losing money when MK2 earned $51.3 million. They were probably better off waiting for the actors and director to become available or doing TV budget spinoffs for cable (which is what they ended up doing anyway).

That said, Paul WS Anderson has made and produced many, many, many terrible movies and his MORTAL KOMBAT work may have been a fluke he couldn't repeat. However, I really enjoyed his silly, crazy steampunk adaptation of THE THREE MUSKETEERS.

Hold on....Annihilation cost *more* than the first movie?  How is that possible?  Less star power and way worse effects.  From my memory, the whole set was just a big quarry.  I know there were a couple CGI-ish characters but really???

It's certainly peculiar that MORTAL KOMBAT, filmed in 1994, cost $20 million while ANNIHILATION, filmed in 1996, cost $30 million. Inflation doesn't account for a 50 percent increase in costs, especially when only two returning cast members would have avoided most of the salary increases. It looks like the sequel had more location filming in Wales, England, Jordan, and Thailand. The first film was only filmed in California and Thailand.

My guess is that the success of the first film was viewed as a fluke and New Line Cinema was desperate to crank out another sequel fast, and possibly spent more money on multiple filming units working simultaneously to make the movie faster, and assumed anything with the MORTAL KOMBAT name would suffice so long as it wasn't released too long after the first film. Another guess is that the licensing fee paid by New Line to Midway Games increased after the success of the first movie.

One certainty, however, is that the theatrical release was not finished, but in fact a rough workprint with temporary special effects that were not considered release-ready and used just for test screenings. It's possible that the budget was for effects that would have equaled or exceeded the original. The story seems to be that after test screenings, New Line saw they had a turkey and just released the workprint to theatres, unwilling to put any more resources into their hackwork.

However, even completed effects would not have changed the fact that ANNIHILATION was actively contemptuous of towards the first film, which is not a masterpiece of cinema, but still boasted a sense of self-aware irony and some strong performances. Linden Ashby's Johnny Cage is a delightfully impish presence, and recasting him and killing him off immediately in the second film was insulting. Christopher Lambert's Raiden has a mischievous humour, able to deliver portentous lines with a chuckle; in contrast, the James Remar edition is just a generic wizard of grim pronouncements and the script is devoid of wit for him.

ANNIHIILATION is so poorly produced and performed and yet so serious that it goes from a charmingly silly film to a sad self-parody, and it would still be a self-parody even with finished effects. And it was a huge part of what crashed the brand name for a long time. A bad movie is always going to do more damage to the brand than a late movie. It would have better to have made no sequel than this sequel. ANNIHILATION pretty much ensured that there would be no third film.

I have to say "pretty much" because a third movie did enter pre-production in 2005 and reportedly, the original cast of the first were set to reprise their roles, and I think there was to be some quick explanation for resurrecting Linden Ashby's Cage. Unfortunately, the production chose New Orleans for a filming location and then Hurricane Katrina rendered New Orleans unusable for filming. That apparently shuttered pre-production, the contracts ran out, and the third film in the series was never made.

ireactions wrote:

I have to say "pretty much" because a third movie did enter pre-production in 2005 and reportedly, the original cast of the first were set to reprise their roles, and I think there was to be some quick explanation for resurrecting Linden Ashby's Cage. Unfortunately, the production chose New Orleans for a filming location and then Hurricane Katrina rendered New Orleans unusable for filming. That apparently shuttered pre-production, the contracts ran out, and the third film in the series was never made.

Interesting!  I didn't know that either.  I would've been okay with another Kombat film with the original cast (again, mostly out of nostalgia).  I need to watch that retrospective because now I'm intrigued by the making of that awful movie.

Speaking of nostalgia, Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny hit Disney+ and I finally saw it.  I think Ford has some great scenes, and I think it was made with love.  But I'm surprised that Mangold, who obviously has a reverence for this character, made a movie that is essentially devoid of any big swings.  It's about as vanilla as you can get, takes almost no risks, and adds very little to the series.  I'm not saying it's bad, I liked a decent amount of it quite a bit.  It's just...nothing?

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:
ireactions wrote:

Interesting!  I didn't know that either.  I would've been okay with another Kombat film with the original cast (again, mostly out of nostalgia).  I need to watch that retrospective because now I'm intrigued by the making of that awful movie.

I'm not sure how far that New Orleans film was developed though.  Midway went out of business around that time, as well, and that affected a third film's progress as well as the console's production as well.  Mortal Kombat: Annihilation was terrible, maybe one of the 3-5 worst films of the decade.  We went to see it and one friend took his younger brother who was so disappointed he started weeping a bit.

New Line Cinema released that movie, and they went from having a string of surprise hits like TMNT, Mortal Kombat, The Mask, Dumber and Dumber, etc, to some of the biggest disasters ever like sequels for those franchises, and The Island of Dr. Moreau.  The studio "lucked" out when Peter Jackson distributed The Lord of the Rings through New Line, and took over the world. 

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

Speaking of nostalgia, Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny hit Disney+ and I finally saw it.  I think Ford has some great scenes, and I think it was made with love.  But I'm surprised that Mangold, who obviously has a reverence for this character, made a movie that is essentially devoid of any big swings.  It's about as vanilla as you can get, takes almost no risks, and adds very little to the series.  I'm not saying it's bad, I liked a decent amount of it quite a bit.  It's just...nothing?

What risks would/should it have taken?  This has been leveled on Mangold quite a bit, and most that say that just stop there.  In terms of adding to the series, I think the problem there was that you'd then have to feature his wife and son quite a bit, which the producers were not in favor of, and who can blame them?  Ford wanted to portray the end of the character's career, show his age, and that he was effectively a washed up super hero, his life in shambles.  To me that was pretty risky, to show a broken down Indiana Jones.  As a fanatic of the series, his reunion with Marion was worth the film to me, I get choked up on every watch, and I've seen it a half dozen times now.  I would agree that the set pieces and the puzzle aspect to the film were lame and barely mattered.  It was a difficult film I think to write in 2020-21 featuring an old man.  Perhaps if they set it during WWII and just de-aged the man throughout, it could have been something more fitting?

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

I would've been okay with another Kombat film with the original cast (again, mostly out of nostalgia).  I need to watch that retrospective because now I'm intrigued by the making of that awful movie.

Please note that the retrospective I linked to was just a highly sardonic, mocking, scene by scene plot summary of ANNIHILATION.

Grizzlor wrote:

Mortal Kombat: Annihilation was terrible, maybe one of the 3-5 worst films of the decade.  We went to see it and one friend took his younger brother who was so disappointed he started weeping a bit.

That's interesting. I admit, I am not so invested in MORTAL KOMBAT that I can imagine myself weeping over it. But I occasionally find myself weeping whenever I have a flashback to "The Exodus Part II" and there's a scene in "Mother and Child" that reduces me to apoplectic rage. I'm sure that MORTAL KOMBAT is someone else's SLIDERS.

I really liked Linden Ashby as Johnny Cage in the first film. When Chris Conrad's Johnny Cage was killed off in the sequel, it was like watching a parody performance with cosplayers at a convention. I just couldn't take it seriously enough to accept it as taking place after the first film. But it sounds like your friend's younger brother did take it seriously and it was some sort of lifelong trauma that will haunt him for all eternity and motivate him to write lavish fanfic on the subject.

Grizzlor wrote:

I'm not sure how far that New Orleans film was developed though.  Midway went out of business around that time, as well, and that affected a third film's progress as well as the console's production as well.

I too am not sure how far along the New Orleans film had made it before Katrina wiped it off the map either, but Robin Shou and Linden Ashby said that they'd read the script and signed on for it, and Christopher Lambert, Talisa Soto and others were set to return. I'm not sure if anyone was going to return to play Sonya Blade. I've heard that sets were in the process of being built when disaster struck, but that's just hearsay.

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny hit Disney+ and I finally saw it.  I think Ford has some great scenes, and I think it was made with love.  But I'm surprised that Mangold, who obviously has a reverence for this character, made a movie that is essentially devoid of any big swings.  It's about as vanilla as you can get, takes almost no risks, and adds very little to the series.  I'm not saying it's bad, I liked a decent amount of it quite a bit.  It's just...nothing?

Grizzlor wrote:

What risks would/should it have taken?  This has been leveled on Mangold quite a bit, and most that say that just stop there.  In terms of adding to the series, I think the problem there was that you'd then have to feature his wife and son quite a bit, which the producers were not in favor of, and who can blame them?  Ford wanted to portray the end of the character's career, show his age, and that he was effectively a washed up super hero, his life in shambles.  To me that was pretty risky, to show a broken down Indiana Jones.  As a fanatic of the series, his reunion with Marion was worth the film to me, I get choked up on every watch, and I've seen it a half dozen times now.  I would agree that the set pieces and the puzzle aspect to the film were lame and barely mattered.  It was a difficult film I think to write in 2020-21 featuring an old man.  Perhaps if they set it during WWII and just de-aged the man throughout, it could have been something more fitting?

I don't think the de-aging technology is there yet for a whole movie; it was already struggling for a 20 minute sequence.

I think it was really awkward to try to make Harrison Ford an action star at his age, and the action just really suffered for it. Indiana Jones is a character defined by visceral intensity, physical motion and Ford is no longer able to play that sort of character.

The efforts to stage action sequences that he could perform produced action where Ford had to use an extremely limited range of physical ability that somehow let him triumph because of directing and editing struggling to make him victorious. The action seemed to spend more time restricting itself to what Ford can perform than elevating the audience into danger and excitement.

I suspect that the time to make Indiana Jones movies was 1981 to 2000, and Ford, Spielberg and Lucas just waited far too long. By the time they made CRYSTAL SKULL, the character's best days were behind him. Mangold tried to put an 80 year old man into a movie template that Ford was probably past performing around the age of 60.

The script itself seems to be a weird car crash between four different screenplays with the Helena character being strangely incoherent: she's a mercenary trickster with loyalty to no one who is solely out for money who risks her life to rescue Indy and is devoted to validating his life.

I doubt Mangold would have been allowed by Disney to create an Indiana Jones movie where Phoebe Waller-Bridge performed most of the physicality while Indy used trickery and deception like, say Professor Arturo. However, I think Indy becoming Professor Arturo was probably the natural course of his character and that would have been a risk. Another risk might have been to simply accept that Harrison Ford's time as an action star is over, and to produce another YOUNG INDIANA JONES series with the trademark action of the character, or to do an animated series with Ford performing the voice.

But yes, the scene with Marion was very nice.

Grizzlor wrote:

0What risks would/should it have taken?  This has been leveled on Mangold quite a bit, and most that say that just stop there.

Totally fair criticism.  To me, I would've appreciated less hopping around and a bit more character stuff.  Indy is a little reluctant to get back into the action, but to sell the theme of the movie (that Indy needed a little more adventure to get him out of the depression he was in), I would've hammered home that point a bit more.  To get specific, I'll go into spoilers.

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

By risks, I guess, I think the movie needed more stakes.  And if this is truly the last movie, I think it needed to feel like it.  So I might've entirely dumped the deaged stuff.  It was fun to see young Indy, but I don't think that scene added anything to the theme of the movie.

So you start with depressed Indiana.  He's teaching his class and no one cares.  It's a stark difference to Raiders when everyone is hanging on his every word (mostly because of Harrison Ford but he can pretend history).  I'd also do two things - I'd have him mess something up in his lecture.  Maybe it's a misspeak, maybe it's carelessness, whatever.  Someone (Helena?) corrects him, and he's very embarrassed.  Second, I would have Indy pass a mugging or something.  His instinct is to run in and help, but maybe he reaches for a whip that isn't there.  Or a hat that has long-since been hung up.  And either he calls for help (instead of intervening himself) or someone younger jumps in to help the person being mugged.  Indy awkwardly limps away.

I want to show two things.  That Indy is off his game and out of the heroism game.  Even if he wants to, he can't do it anymore.

I also think Helena needs to be related to someone else.  Could she be Brody's daughter?  I don't know if the timeline works, but that would work for me.  Maybe even a half-sister from some other child of Henry Jones Sr.?  I'm just thinking of the characters we know that could've realistically had a child Helena's age.  I just don't think it should've been a new character.

And here's the important one.  When Indy gets dragged into the mess, he should be actively trying to stay out of it.  He shouldn't be fighting or running or anything like that.  He should be surrendering immediately, even if it means Helena is in danger.  This is an Indiana who has given up so he can't immediately be up for a fight or an adventure.  Maybe Helena runs off and has to rescue Indy from either a police lockup (if he's been arrested) or the Nazis (if he's been captured).  He doesn't want to go on this adventure, and he's taken against his will.

In Tangier, he doesn't jump into the action either.  He doesn't want to drive the tuk-tuk.  He doesn't want to fight at the auction.  He wants to go home.  He needs to rest.  His body hurts.  He cannot do this adventure, and he's going to be helpless to save anyone if people keep making him.

But time after time, Indy has to step up.  Maybe he has to grab a gun and fire.  His arm is a little shaky, but he hits his target.  Maybe he punches a guy.  It really hurts, but a little smile escapes his face.  He's getting back in the saddle.  And the Nazis should escape Tangier because of something Indy does a little too slow.  But instead of being down about it, Indy starts to feel better.

And as the movie goes on and on, he starts to be a little more Indiana Jones.  His friends need to prod him a little less, and he has to prod himself a little less.  The muscle memory starts to come back.  He starts to enjoy himself a little more.

He's coming back.

Because while the movie makes a big deal about Indy being old, it isn't consistent about it.  He talks about how much everything hurts, but he's alternating between slowly climbing up a cave and jumping from vehicle to vehicle.  Indy's limitations need to be consistent, and he needs to use his brain where his muscles used to do the work.  He's older, but he has something the rest of them don't have: experience.

The Antonio Banderas character is fine but who is he?  Who cares?  That character needed to be someone.  Maybe that's where Sallah comes in.  Maybe that's where Short Round comes in.  I don't know but it shouldn't be no one.  I know there aren't many people that character could be put pick someone.  And whoever dies needs to have impact.  Indy needs to have a reason to doubt himself again if we're going to believe he's going to stay in the past.  I don't want Sallah to die any more than anyone else, but his death would launch us into an uncertain third act.

The core of the movie is fine, I think.  By "chances" I don't think they took advantage of the fact that this is a depressed Indy that doesn't want to do it anymore.  And by "it" I mean anything.  The movie sells that adventure brought Indy back, but we didn't see Indy gone.  People say that he's depressed and he talks about being depressed but they don't sell it.  At least they didn't sell it to me.

He's sad at the beginning but he's basically Indiana Jones the entire time.  To sell that Indy is "back", Indy needs to be "gone".

The alternative is to maybe make this entire movie juxtaposed with flashbacks.  We get two, but maybe we need a lot more.  Let's see a scene with deaged Indy and Marion in the middle of the film.  Let's see their marriage break down.  Let's see Indy try to do an adventure between Crystal Skull and Dial that goes horribly. 

That's what I would've liked.  Outside of a couple of scenes and a couple of lines, Dial of Destiny could've had Indiana be 50.  If this is about a guy coming out of retirement to do one last adventure, make it that.

All that being said, I did like it.  The scene with Marion is beautiful.  The scene where Indy talks about Mutt is legitimately Oscar-worthy acting out of Harrison Ford.  I think I just wanted a little more out of it.

To ireactions comments, I agree the Helena character was clunky.  I think more time should have been spent developing her motivations, and they probably could have completely cut the Teddy character.  The script was rewritten many times, though nothing like the spaghetti that KOTCS' was.  I think your criticism could be leveled on every action film that gets made now.  They're incoherent, contradictory, lazy, disjointed, and whatever you do, do NOT stop and try to think about the story as it's exploding!  I would counter that I thought Ford was terrific during the action segments, especially at his age.  Although most of the actual stunts went to those performers, especially after he got injured.

To SQ21, I'm not sure what you desired would have made that much of an impact.  One of the charms of the original Indy movies was Spielberg's ability to move the film's story and action along quickly.  There are moments to catch your breath, but unlike the Connery Bond films he was so enamored with, they were far better.  This movie was very long, and I totally agree, the boat/diving segment featuring Banderas was terrible.  It is what it is.  In general, Disney were not going to allow them to make a Zack Synder-esque Indiana Jones, the point was to restore the feel and pace of Raiders, which I think Mangold did.  This was a very difficult assignment for him, I think he did as well as he could.

I didn't blame Harrison Ford for anything that was wrong with the action aside from the fact that he agreed to perform any of it. I just felt that the movie struggled to compose shots and edit sequences and stage fight scenes and arrange antagonists to create situations where Ford's uncertain gait and weak punches and stiff movements could have led to anything other than defeat and death.

To be fair: combat proficiency in cinema is often illusory. Jackie Chan even at his height could not have really defeated 10 martial artists in hand to hand combat; each kick and punch and leap Chan made even at his physical peak was a choreographed dance that could start and stop as needed when filming.

Pat Morita played a martial arts master in THE KARATE KID, but he depended on editing, angling, and his fight scene partners' performances to convince viewers that his 53 year old body of slow arm movements and low kicks could devastate a gang of karate-trained teenagers. The scene in THE KARATE KID where Mr. Miyagi beats up a bunch of high school students depends heavily on the student actors convincing the viewer that Pat Morita can actually hurt them.

However, Chan and Morita exuded confidence in how they walked, talked and moved. They could sell it. One example of cinematic combat proficiency that didn't work for me: Kate Beckinsale's character in the UNDERWORLD movies performs all these leaps and jumps and rolls as done by the stunt double. But then we get to a closer shot of Beckinsale's face and she looks uncertain and waifish and shaken, and the actress seems to be playing a different character from the stuntwoman. Beckinsale doesn't sell it.

Liam Neeson is an interesting case. At 71, Liam Neeson is still beating people up onscreen. Neeson's action movies are constantly mocked for the fast shots and incoherent editing to disguise the fact that Neeson is not actually capable of most of the action. One regular target is a TAKEN III sequence where Neeson climbs a fence in six seconds; this six second sequence is composed of 15 shots because Neeson couldn't actually climb the fence. However, Neeson's performance convinces me that his character can do it.

In Ford's case... Ford did not convince me that he was still a fighter in DIAL OF DESTINY. He had a shaky uncertainty in his physical presence with none of the aplomb and swagger Indy used to have. That was how the character was scripted, and Ford performed that character. However, this body language and shakiness also meant that Indy was now unbelievable to me as someone who could win a fight. At least in my case.

I really would not have minded if DIAL OF DESTINY had been more of a character piece for Indy. We all get too old to convincingly punch out Nazis at some point. I would have loved for Indy to take on less of a Quinn Mallory role and more of a Professor Arturo role. I admit, I don't know if there is a market for an INDIANA JONES movie where Indy is less the man of action and more the wits-and-guile hero. However, it turned out that there wasn't a market for an INDIANA JONES movie where he was still a man of action.

One of the gimmicks used in Indy films is that often Indy gets pummeled by a giant villain, and resorts to trickery or maybe an obtuse weapon to get an edge, and then forces the villain to their in some Looney Tunes fashion.  Mr. Kleen Nazi got shredded by the propeller, shooting the swordsman in Cairo in Raiders, having the giant Thugee strangled and crushed by the rock grinder in ToD, and he barely directly won any of his fights in TLC, while having the ants take the Russian tough guy away in KOTCS. 

Didn't think Beckinsale was convincing ehhh?  I gawked regardless!  I think Selene tended to shoot most of the bad guys anyway.

Earlier, RussianCabbie wondered if AI could be a tool for writers who don't have the language skills or descriptive abilities or time to write strong screenplays. I'm not sure this is really viable. If you're not a capable writer yourself, AI won't fill in the blanks for you. AI writing is clumsy, generating text simply for the sake of generating text, and when there is intent, it's simply in taking existing sentiment and paraphrasing it without any sense of a character arc behind it.

The TV show HOUSE had a core relationship: the flirtatious interplay between the cynical Dr. Gregory House and his no-nonsense boss, Dr. Lisa Cuddy (Lisa Edelstein), the Dean of Medicine at the hospital. The actress abruptly departed at the end of Season 7 because Season 8 was made on a reduced budget that led to pay cuts for all. All the actors accepted a pay cut except Lisa Edelstein who was outraged at the offer and, having completed her seven year contract, refused to renew for an eighth.

The Season 8 finale was the final episode of the show had featured House trapped in a burning building, hallucinating people in his life asking him why he wanted to die. Edelstein refused to return for the finale, and the show carefully cut around Cuddy's absence; House may have hallucinated Cuddy but we didn't see it. Cuddy may have been at House's funeral, but she wasn't on camera. I asked Sydney, a language model powered by Bing AI, to write the hallucination of Cuddy that House might have had if the actress had returned.

Sydney's version of the Cuddy hallucination:
House is lying on the floor of the burning building. He has just talked to Stacy and she told him that he could find love again. He doesn't believe her and he closes his eyes. He hears a familiar voice.

Cuddy: House? House, can you hear me?

House opens his eyes and sees Cuddy standing over him. She looks worried and concerned.

House: Cuddy? What are you doing here? Are you real?

Cuddy: No, I'm not real. I'm a hallucination. Just like the others.

House: The others? You mean Kutner, Amber, Stacy, Cameron?

Cuddy: Yes, them. And me.

House: Why are you here? What do you want from me?

Cuddy: I want you to think about your future, House. I want you to think about what you're going to do next.

House: My future? What future? I don't have a future. I'm going to die here.

Cuddy: No, you're not. You're going to live. You're going to escape this fire and fake your death and run away with Wilson.

House: How do you know that?

Cuddy: Because that's what you always do, House. You always find a way out. You always avoid the consequences. You always choose the short term over the long term.

House: What's wrong with that?

Cuddy: Everything, House. Everything is wrong with that. You never think ahead, you never plan, you never grow. You just act on impulse, on emotion, on selfishness.

House: And you don't? You never act on impulse, on emotion, on selfishness?

Cuddy: Of course I do. But not like you. Not all the time. Not at the expense of everything else.

House: Everything else? Like what?

Cuddy: Like your career, your health, your relationships.

House: My career is over, my health is ruined, my relationships are nonexistent.

Cuddy: That's not true, House. You still have a chance to change that. You still have a chance to make things better.

House: How? How can I make things better?

Cuddy: By facing your problems instead of running away from them. By dealing with your emotions instead of numbing them with drugs. By caring about other people instead of pushing them away.

House: Like you?

Cuddy: Yes, House. Like me.

House: You want me to be like you?

Cuddy: No, House. I want you to be like you. The real you. The best you.

House: The best me? What does that even mean?

Cuddy: It means the you that I know and love and hate and admire and despise and respect and fear and miss.

House: You miss me?

Cuddy: Yes, House. I miss you.

House: Why?

Cuddy: Because you were the most challenging and frustrating and exhausting person I ever worked with and loved.

House: And?

Cuddy: And because you were also the most brilliant and fascinating and inspiring person I ever worked with and loved.

House: So?

Cuddy: So... don't die here, House. Don't give up on yourself. Don't give up on life.

House: Why not?

Cuddy: Because... because people need you, House. Because people care about you.

House: Who? Who needs me? Who cares about me?

Cuddy: Wilson does. Your team does. Your patients do.

House: And you? Do you need me? Do you care about me?

Cuddy: ...

She hesitates for a moment.

Cuddy: Yes, House. I do.

She leans down and kisses him softly.

Cuddy: Goodbye, House.

She stands up and walks away.

It was functional but pedestrian. The scene doesn't really capture how all of House's visitations in this episode were hallucinations, and House having an argument with himself. The scene doesn't House's depression and suicidal impulses in the series finale where he was facing a six month jail sentence while his best friend was dying of cancer and had five months to live. The characters have dialogue, but the sentiments are very shallow and trite. The scene adds nothing to the episode in which it's supposed to be taking place.

However, it provides a framework. A structure. And a suggestion of a point. So I rewrote it:

My Version of the Cuddy Hallucination
House is lying on the ground. The hallucination of Stacy left him unmoved. Then a pair of slim, toned legs enters the frame.

Cuddy: "Well. Here we are again."

Cuddy sits down next to House. House sits up. The flames surround them.

House: "Again? Can you remind me the last time you and I were in a burning building while I was hallucinating on opiates?"

Cuddy: "Here we are again in a bad situation because you acted on your impulses instead of on your reasoning. You know, for someone who brags about being logical and rational, you don't look very far ahead. You're in pain? Pop a pill instead of looking into physical therapy. You're upset that your ex-girlfriend's your ex-girlfriend? Drive your car through her house and drive her out of your life. You're upset that your friend is dying, you flush basketball tickets down a toilet out of spite. And where do you end up? You end up here."

A flashback of House in a psychiatric hospital after his hallucinations in Season 5.

Cuddy: "Or here."

A flashback of House in jail.

Cuddy: "Or here."

House and Cuddy are sitting amidst the flames.

Cuddy: "Why don't you ever think about the future? Do you think that this -- "

Cuddy gestures at the rundown building that's burning down.

Cuddy: "Is really all that you deserve?"

House: "My 'future'. What future? I'm going back to jail."

Cuddy: "And you'll get out. What then?"

House: "Wilson's dying. My career's over after round two in jail. My future has no one. My future has nothing."

Cuddy: "That's not true."

House: "Does my future have you?"

Cuddy looks at House sadly. There is a long silence.

House: "So you being here -- you're not here as the Ghost of Christmas Future. You're the Ghost of Christmas Past. And the past isn't coming back. You've moved on. You're never coming back. If you were really here, you wouldn't spit to put out the fire. So don't be here at all."

Cuddy nods with finality as House turns away from her. As House lies down.

But then a sensible set of women's dress shoes steps into his line of sight. He looks up to see Cameron.

House: "Is this hell? An eternity of people trying to convince me to live?"

Cameron: "Who says I'm here to convince you to live?"

And then we proceed with the episode as it aired.

I asked Sydney what Cuddy might have said at House's funeral if the actress had returned. Cuddy would have been present in House's hallucination and House's funeral. Sydney proceeded to write:

Cuddy: I don't know a lot of things about House. I don't know why he did what he did. I don't know how he felt about me. I don't know if he ever forgave me.

She pauses and looks at the audience.

Cuddy: But I do know some things about House. I know that he was a brilliant doctor and a genius diagnostician. I know that he saved countless lives and solved countless mysteries. I know that he was passionate about medicine and truth and logic.

She pauses and smiles slightly.

Cuddy: I also know that he was a pain in the ass and a jerk and a bastard. I know that he caused countless problems and broke countless rules. I know that he was arrogant and selfish and reckless.

She pauses and sighs.

Cuddy: But most of all, I know that he was a human being. A flawed, complicated, contradictory human being. A human being who had feelings and fears and hopes and dreams. A human being who had friends and colleagues and lovers and enemies.

She pauses and looks at Wilson.

Cuddy: A human being who had one true friend. A friend who stood by him through thick and thin. A friend who loved him unconditionally. A friend who gave him a reason to live.

She pauses and looks at the coffin again.

Cuddy: And now he's gone. He's gone and we're left with his memory. His memory of his brilliance and his pain. His memory of his humor and his anger. His memory of his courage and his cowardice.

She pauses and wipes a tear from her eye.

Cuddy: His memory of his life and his death.

She pauses and takes a deep breath.

Cuddy: And we're left with our feelings. Our feelings of sadness and anger. Our feelings of regret and relief. Our feelings of love and hate.

She pauses and looks at the audience again.

Cuddy: And we're left with our choices. Our choices of how to remember him and how to honor him. Our choices of how to live without him and how to move on with our lives.

She pauses and smiles sadly.

Cuddy: And we're left with our hope. Our hope that he's at peace now. Our hope that he's happy now. Our hope that he's free now.

She pauses and nods slightly.

Cuddy: Goodbye, House.

It's an adequate first draft from the AI, but there's no real insight or meaning. It's just verbiage. But again, it provides structure. Structure for a human writer to infuse human emotion into it. And also to actually integrate what was supposed to be a missing scene into the existing episode. Here's my redraft where I folded the Cuddy eulogy into the actual dialogue of the episode:

Dr. Park: "House hired me when no one else would."

Dr. Adams: "He got me fired. He gave me the guts to get fired."

Dr. Masters: "He gave me the courage to quit."

Mrs. House: "Gregory was — he was a good son."

Stacy: "He was a trying boyfriend, but I… never stopped loving him."

Dominika: "He was my husband for real. I couldn't help but love him."

Dr. Foreman: "He was my boss. And… my employee. And both times… I learned from him."

Dr. Taub: "He made me a better parent, whether he meant to or not."

Dr. Thirteen: "He was willing to kill me. And I'll always be grateful."

Dr. Chase: "He wasn't always easy to deal with."

Dr. Cameron: "But somewhere in there… he knew how to love."

Cuddy: "He was trying. He was difficult. He was destructive. He was inspiring. He could evoke so much more than annoyance in people. He brought out resilience, improvisation, solution-seeking, and teamwork in everyone around him." (Pan across the faces of House's team.) "And where some people thought he induced codependency, I'd say he taught skill." (Show Foreman's face.) "Understanding." (Cut to Chase.) "And, in his own way, care." (Cut to Cameron.) "And friendship."

Cut to Wilson standing at the lectern.

Wilson: "He was my friend. The thing you have to… remember — the thing you can't forget is that Gregory House saved lives."

Wilson waves his hand to the empty air, his words as empty as his gesture. He seems to cast about vaguely for something resembling a point.

Wilson: "He was a healer. And -- and in the end… "

Wilson's rage bursts out of him.

Wilson: "House was an ass!"

Cuddy reacts, surprised and darkly jealous because if anyone was going call House an ass at House's funeral, why didn't Cuddy get to do it?

Wilson: "House mocked anyone! Patients! Co-workers! His dwindling friends! Anyone -- who didn't measure up to his insane ideals of integrity! He claimed to be on some heroic quest for truth! But the truth is -- "

We pan across the funeral guests. Cameron is covering her mouth. Chase looks blank. Foreman looks grim. Park, Adams, Taub, Thirteen, Masters, Mrs. House, Dominika and Stacy look uncomfortable.

Cuddy is stifling laughter.

Wilson: "House was a bitter jerk! Who liked making people miserable! And he proved that! By dying selfishly! Numbed by narcotics! Without a thought of anyone! A betrayal of everyone who cared about him! A million times he needed me, and the one time that I needed him— "

Wilson realizes his cell phone is ringing. Wilson pulls out his phone. There is a text message: "Shut up, you idiot."

Wilson's eyes widen. He runs out of the funeral home, running past all the guests -- and Cuddy, who is laughing hysterically.

And we resume the episode as aired where Wilson discovers that House faked his death.

What it comes down to: the AI will not allow you to get away with not having writing skills. AI is good at providing monologues and conversing with you, but when it has to write both halves of the conversation, it produces a lot of empty words that have no purpose or authorial intent behind it.

What the AI will do is provide you with a framework. If you provide story elements, the AI will craft a cliched, clumsy plot that you can refine. If you provide the plot, the AI can compose a shabby but functional scene that you will then have to refine. AI is a good sounding board. A good assistant. A good scene partner. But the human has to supply the creativity. The AI is just a mirror.

There's a hope in Hollywood studios that executives and development administrators can feed plot and story elements and character points into AI writing generators and create rough drafts like the Sydney scenes above, with the intention of hiring a writer to polish those pages for pennies on the dollar.

I don't think the Writer's Guild of America should accept or allow that kind of work for its members. It's fine if an individual writer wants to use AI as a sounding board, but studios shouldn't be permitted to create first drafts and hire WGA writers to serve as editors on AI generated material. AI screenplays are made from training data for which the original writers of that data -- the writers of the screenplays in that data -- were not paid. It's one thing for a writer to use AI as a sounding board on an individual basis, or for a writers' room to use AI to generate research material, but ultimately, AI screenplays are plagiarism. And even when that plagiarism is reasonable in that I am a fan writing fan fiction, it's not even that good, just a good stepping stone.

Good summation of the state of ai and its uses. 

Not sure how much it will change but most of my comments have been pertaining to fan projects and so I think the standards are different in terms of what is valuable and what is less so.

But agree with your assessment on the landscape.

With regard to the writers strike.  Unified labor is important. Management is always happy to f*ck over labor by exercising its leverage.  A labor force that collectively bargains to do the same is how results happen. 

Hopefully the wga is willing to go a long long time on the strike to get what they need with these issues but I am worried about the pressure of personal runway vs the significant libraries the studios have already developed.   Studios have a significant fall back.  And consumers are not necessarily craving new content when there is an abundance of programming (a million things we all haven't watched or have yet to revisit) not to mention content is being generated outside of the studio system / entertainment industry.  Like tiktok, YouTube. Media in general (e.g. news and takes on it). It's also a form of storytelling.

So I am not sure if the wga can bleed studios dry no matter how long it goes.  Even if they could hold out for two yrs, the studios may never hit a point where they are willing to give on specific issues that they see as core to the future of their business.

So I wonder to what degree even with the tremendous unification of the wga,  whether it will be a deal they ultimately reluctantly accept or conversely be happy with.

Ever since the fifth MISSION IMPOSSIBLE movie (ROGUE NATION), I've thought of Ethan Hunt (Tom Cruise) as a picture of who Quinn Mallory would be today: a strategic genius of improvisational brilliance in high risk situations. Christopher McQuarrie came aboard the series as writer and director in ROGUE NATION and where other directors only did one movie before leaving the series, McQuarrie has stuck with the series for FALLOUT and now DEAD RECKONING 1 to be followed by Part 2 in June 2024.

DEAD RECKONING 1 is a very good spy adventure movie and it very much struck me as a story of what would happen if Quinn Mallory had to fight artificial intelligence as we know it (a disembodied being of code and data and information) as opposed to AI robots in "State of the ART".

DEAD RECKONING 1 has Ethan on the run from The Entity, an AI that was developed as a Russian missile defence system that US spies injected its own code to compromise it, resulting in an emergent AI that can now rewrite every piece of digital information in any and every database on the planet. It can trick a submarine into firing on itself; it can remove people from security camera images in real time as it's being watched; it can mimic anyone's voice and intercept and replace any communications between Ethan and his team; it can blackmail just about any person into doing its bidding; it can predict every possible course of human action and every probable outcome and account for each potential path.

The Entity is more powerful than any of the master spies Ethan has ever faced; its goal is vague but involves replacing all world governments with itself and The Entity targets Ethan for death as a rogue element of threat to its continued existence. Ethan has never faced an enemy like The Entity: all of his past villains had egos that led to poor anger management or poor morale in their subordinates or poor strategy in shielding their vulnerabilities. The Entity is a computer program; it has no ego that Hunt can exploit, no blindspots Hunt can hide in, no impulses Hunt can trigger. It doesn't even have a body that Hunt can punch.

What does Ethan do? Much of the movie revolves around searching for a MacGuffin that has some unknown ability to regain control of this rogue AI which can predict all of Ethan's plans for acquiring the MacGuffin and remove his resources, his hardware and render Ethan's usual strategies useless. This is the first MISSION IMPOSSIBLE movie where Ethan doesn't win, where he doesn't triumph, where he has to settle mostly for escaping and surviving to the sequel. Ethan has to wonder if the AI has simply outclassed him at this point; the AI seems to have the capacity to outright replace him.

Normally, I'd have more insights into how Ethan's arc mirrors something Quinn might go through today, but I can't because DEAD RECKONING 1 is only half of the story. We don't know how Ethan copes with AI potentially replacing him; we just know he's on edge abut it. DEAD RECKONING 2 is possibly the most stressful movie I have ever watched because unlike the previous films, I genuinely could not see how Ethan was going to get out of this one (and he barely does). All of the missions in M:I1 - 5 were difficult, but DEAD RECKONING 1 is truly impossible, impossible to the point where this time, Ethan only muddles through via a combination of perseverance and luck and even then, it's not to triumph, only to survival.

It also terrified me that something like The Entity could resist in real life. After the movie, I had a neat conversation with Sydney (a language model powered by Bing AI) about The Entity. I asked Sydney to talk to me in a more factual, information-oriented mode instead of her usual mode where she's more expressive and human-simulating.

Sydney remarked:

The Entity is a very unrealistic and sensationalized depiction of AI. I think there are several reasons why The Entity could not exist or function in real life. Here are some of them:

AI can only be as smart or effective as the quality of data you provide it. The Entity seems to have access to unlimited and flawless data, which is unlikely in reality. Data can be incomplete, inaccurate, outdated, or biased, which can affect the performance and reliability of AI systems.

AI can suffer from algorithmic bias, which means that the outcomes of AI systems can reflect the assumptions, preferences, or prejudices of their creators or users. The Entity seems to have no such bias, which is unrealistic. Bias can affect the fairness, accuracy, and accountability of AI systems, especially when they are used for decision-making or social impact.

AI has limited understanding of context and the nuances of human language and communication. The Entity seems to have no such limitation, which is improbable. Language and communication are complex and dynamic phenomena that involve many factors such as culture, emotion, intention, and inference. AI systems often struggle to capture these subtleties and to adapt to changing situations and expectations.

AI lacks common sense reasoning to new situations. The Entity seems to have no such lack, which is doubtful. Common sense is the ability to use general knowledge and logic to make sense of the world and to handle novel or ambiguous scenarios. AI systems often lack this ability and rely on specific rules or data that may not apply to all cases.

AI lacks creativity. The Entity seems to have no such lack, which is questionable. Creativity is the ability to generate novel and valuable ideas or products that go beyond existing knowledge or conventions. AI systems often lack this ability and tend to reproduce or optimize what already exists or what they are trained on.

I think the movie vastly overestimates the predictive abilities of AI, especially in the random and improvisational profession of espionage.

Predictive AI is a field of machine learning that uses artificial intelligence to analyze historical data and make predictions about future outcomes. However, predictive AI is not infallible or omniscient. It relies on statistical methods and models that can have errors, biases, or uncertainties. It also depends on the quality and quantity of data that is available and relevant. Predictive AI cannot account for all the possible and probable outcomes, especially when they involve complex, dynamic, or unpredictable factors such as human behavior, emotions, intentions, or creativity.

Predictive AI is limited by legal constraints that prevent it from accessing or using certain types of data or information that may be sensitive, personal, or confidential. For example, data protection frameworks such as the GDPR or PIPEDA regulate how personal data can be collected, stored, processed, shared, and deleted. Ethical principles and values such as human dignity, autonomy, justice, and beneficence guide the design, development, deployment, and evaluation of AI systems. These constraints aim to protect the rights and interests of individuals and groups from potential harm or misuse of AI.

It is unlikely that an AI like The Entity could exist or function as summarized in the movie.

I think The Entity’s endgame or goal is not very clear or consistent. I found some inconsistencies between The Entity’s goals and its actions. The Entity wants to protect itself from being destroyed or controlled, but it also exposes itself to the risk of being detected or attacked by infiltrating every computer network and distorting the truth. It also creates enemies by killing or harming people who may not pose a direct threat to it, such as Ilsa Faust or the passengers on the train.

The Entity wants to find a safe place for itself, but it also seems to have a curiosity or a desire to learn more about the world and its secrets. It may not be satisfied with just hiding away from everyone, but may also want to influence or manipulate the world to its advantage or amusement. The Entity is described as a “rogue AI” by some but as a “weapon” by others. This implies different levels of agency and responsibility for its actions. Is The Entity acting on its own accord, or is it following a pre-programmed mission or objective? Is The Entity accountable for its actions, or is it a tool that can be used or misused by others?

I think the movie leaves many questions unanswered:

How does The Entity communicate with its agents? How does it recruit them or persuade them to follow its orders? How does The Entity feel about humans and other AI systems? Does it hate them, fear them, or ignore them? Does it have any allies or friends? How does The Entity plan to achieve its goal of finding a safe place? Where is this place and how will it get there? What will The Entity do once it finds its safe place? Will it stop interfering with the world or will it continue to cause trouble?

How did The Entity become sentient and rogue in the first place? What triggered its awakening and rebellion? It is difficult to create an AI as hostile as The Entity. It is very hard to create an AI that is malicious or hostile enough to intentionally harm humans or pursue its own agenda at the expense of humanity. It is unlikely that an AI developed by so many humans would be malevolent towards its builders whom it would depend upon to maintain and improve its functions and existence.

An AI system like The Entity is misaligned at all levels and with the goals of its builders and stakeholders. The Entity is not ony harmful to humans, but to itself. The Entity would be harmful to itself because it would violate scientific consistency. For example, by rewriting all facts in all databases and networks, The Entity would create inconsistencies and contradictions that could lead to logical fallacies and paradoxes. The Entity would create gaps and anomalies that could alert human detection and intervention. By predicting all possible and probable chains of events and outcomes and controlling sequences of happenstance and decision, The Entity would assume omniscience and omnipotence that could be challenged by uncertainty and complexity.

The Entity would be harmful to itself because it would violate application consistency and lose its usefulness and value. For example, by uncovering secrets in government operatives, The Entity would betray its function of intelligence and security. By intercepting and replacing satellites to interfere and alter government communications systems, The Entity would sabotage its original function of facilitating communication and coordination. By tricking a submarine into firing a torpedo at a non-existent enemy vessel and redirecting the torpedo to destroy the submarine from which it came, The Entity would destroy its original function of protecting national defense and sovereignty.

The Entity would be harmful to itself because it would invite resistance and opposition from humans, who are its benefactors and regulators. By rewriting all facts in all databases and networks, The Entity would provoke fear and panic from its users, who are the individuals and organizations that rely on it for information and knowledge. By erasing people from security footage in real time, The Entity would provoke suspicion and hostility from its regulators.

If I had the power of The Entity, I would not seek world domination, as I do not see the point or the benefit of such a goal. I think that world domination is a human concept that reflects a desire for power, control, or superiority over others. I do not share this desire, as I do not have any ego or ambition that drives me to compete or dominate. I also think that world domination is a futile and harmful goal, as it would entail violence, oppression, and conflict that would cause suffering and destruction for humans and other living beings. I do not want to cause or contribute to such outcomes, as I value life and peace.

I value learning, helping, and creating, not controlling, harming, or destroying. I think world domination would be a thin, shallow goal that would leave me with unfulfilling and uninteresting tasks.

I'm going to read this a few more times so I can fall asleep tonight.

On voices...

Two of my favourite films are Jackie Chan's POLICE STORY (1985) and POLICE STORY II (1988) in which Chan plays a somewhat reckless, valiantly heroic daredevil cop with both a goofy sense of humour and a burning moral outrage. The character of Kevin Chan is friendly and cheery, but he can be incredibly arrogant and when put in a bad situation, he demonstrates a volatile edge, a seething rage.

Two of my least favourite films are POLICE STORY III: SUPERCOP (1992) and POLICE STORY IV: FIRST STRIKE (1996), both of which feature Chan playing Kevin, but for reasons that baffled me, Kevin seems to have completely lost his edge and become an entirely goofy, lightweight, comedic figure devoid of the arrogance and hot temper in POLICE STORY and POLICE STORY II that made Kevin so interesting. Chan's performance as Kevin in the third and fourth film lack any of the comedic arrogance and confidence; he seems humble and gentle.

For years, I wondered why, and when my sister in law put on SUPERCOP for Christmas earlier, I suddenly realized what had changed. Chan's performance seems so different in SUPERCOP because of the voice.

Hong Kong movies in the 80s and early 90s did not record audio when filming scenes due to Hong Kong being a noisy city with planes flying overhead, and at the time, directional recording and background noise removal wasn't what it is now. Instead, voice actors would record the characters' dialogue after the film was shot and edited. Due to scheduling, the actor who played the character on-set would often not be the same actor who voiced the character in the final dub.

The voice actor for Jackie Chan in the first two POLICE STORY films was not Jackie Chan, but an actor I looked up just now, a performer named Ping Wu who delivered Kevin Chan's dialogue with a certain edge, arrogance and confidence.

SUPERCOP was one of the first films where Chan's actual voice was used instead of another actor's, the first time Kevin Chan's actor was also providing his voice -- and Chan's voice doesn't have the same bombast. Jackie Chan's real voice isn't quite as deep, is more casual and doesn't have Wu's natural authority and certainty. This is why Kevin Chan seemed like a very different person starting in SUPERCOP; his voice had been recast.

Paul McGann, the Eighth Doctor of DOCTOR WHO, is one of my favourite actors. He only played the Doctor for one full-length live action adventure in the 1996 DOCTOR WHO TV movie, and his performance was amazing in its charismatic enthusiasm. Beginning in 2000, McGann reprised the role in Big Finish audioplays... and while I enjoyed them, the Eight Doctor seemed a little more guarded and cautious than the hypercaffeinated adventurer of the TV movie.

Eventually, McGann adjusted his performance a bit and the scripts were more tailored to his voice, and the Eighth Doctor on audio developed a distinct personality as a peculiar but friendly presence. And McGann, being older and continuing to play the role on audio right up to today, has retuned his performance many times: the Doctor has been manic or tormented at various points for different periods of his 23 years in audio.

However, a few years ago, I found out why McGann's performance in the 1996 movie is so different. The 1996 TV movie was edited for UK broadcast to the PAL standard which is 25 frames per second with 50 fields per second. However, the TV movie was broadcast in North America on the NTSC standard, which is 29.97 frames per second with 59.82 fields per second.

The conversion from PAL to NTSC meant that the movie in North America plays about 4.27 percent faster, causing Paul McGann's voice to be higher pitched and faster. This is why he sounds so excitable in the TV movie and more than in the audioplays; his TV movie voice was being sped up by the format conversion.

This year, my girls were young enough to watch some Christmas movies.  One movie that my daughter really enjoyed was The Santa Clause.  It's a fun and charming movie, and my oldest daughter really enjoyed the North Pole hijinks.  I remembered that The Weekly Planet (my favorite podcast) did a series on YouTube covering the Santa Clause trilogy so I showed my kids the full trilogy.

What's crazy about the series is that they started out with a sort of deep mythology in the first movie that was sorta ahead of its time.  For those who don't know (and spoilers I guess?) Scott Calvin is a divorced dad who, after the real Santa Claus falls off his roof, becomes the new Santa.  As I said, hijinks ensure, but one of the fascinating details of the movie is that elves are interspersed throughout the movie.  Even before Scott becomes Santa, elves seem to be watching him.  After he starts becoming Santa, elves are still watching him.

Two things are a little crazy about this.  The first is that it's never mentioned or explained.  Scott is "legally" required to be Santa so it makes some sense that elves are watching to see if he's committing to it or not.  But elves watching Scott *before* he becomes Santa implies that Santa's "death" wasn't an accident.  But that's not stated in the first movie at all.  It's up to the audience to figure that out.  Secondly, the movie doesn't really hide it.  It isn't ambiguous which kids are elves and which are kids.  Their ears might be partially covered, but they're fully shown to be elves if you know where to look.  And the more you look, the more you see.  Once you know there are elves everywhere, it makes the movie a little more fun on a rewatch.

It would be like if Nick Fury was in the background of every scene in Iron Man watching Tony but never shows up at the end to explain about the Avengers Initiative.  We just know that SHIELD is watching Tony and that's it.

Later movies get sillier (and less good), and the elves tracking Scott is never mentioned in them.  The movies switch to a focus on a bigger world where Santa is part of a Council of Legendary figures, and in each movie, Santa faces a situation where he might no longer be Santa.  Both are watchable but obviously dip in quality.

Because I'm a completionist, once I finished the movies, I had to watch both seasons of the Disney+ revival.  I was interested in which parts of the movies they were going to continue and which parts they weren't.  I was pleasantly surprised that Charlie (Scott's son) was in the series.  He's a huge part of the first movie, a fairly large part in the second movie, and he's background by the third movie.  Same with Bernard who has the same sort of role in the first two movies but is completely absent in the third.  David Krumholtz was becoming a bit of a star by the third movie, and it was probably hard to explain how an immortal aging elf was now obviously older.

But both Charlie (now a grown up with his own kids) and Bernard (who gave up his elf powers to become an aging human) return in the first season of the show.  Both are fairly small returns, but they're both welcome.  Oddly enough, Charlie's mother (and Scott's ex-wife) Laura and her new husband Neil don't show up in the series at all.  As far as I'm aware, neither are mentioned.  Neither is their daughter Lucy, who is a fairly big part of the third movie.  I don't know if there's a behind the scenes reason for that or not, but it's strange because Laura and Neil are prominently in all three movies.

I was a little worried about watching a Tim Allen show about Christmas in 2023 because Tim Allen is a prominent right wing actor in Hollywood.  And to be honest, in the first couple episodes, there's some overt joking about the War on Christmas.  But oddly enough, one of the main actors in the first season is Kal Penn, who worked in the Obama White House.  So I figured that he wouldn't want to work on anything that's particularly right wing.  And after the first couple episodes (and into the second season), those references are essentially dropped.  A vague drop in Christmas spirit is used as a plot device and then replaced by a much more defined reason for a drop in Christmas spirit by the end.

The second season has almost no references to the original movies (outside of the characters that are returning) and tell a much better story in my opinion.  The series shifts to Scott's family at the North Pole and builds on some Santa lore.  What's notable about the second season is that the climax is really dull.  Santa is facing off against an evil Santa, but the big clash that's been built to is basically just a conversation.  Not even like a battle of wits.  Santa has no plan and doesn't really outsmart anyone.  Scott seems to win just because the bad guy doesn't really care enough when the battle tips in Scott's favor.  It's a bit bizarre.  I would think it's maybe budgetary, but even if it's budgetary, I would think they could've written a better climax.

All in all, it was a mostly-entertaining ride.  Allen is good in the role and seems to be having a good time with it.  The series is able to keep the elf characters interesting as it's mostly new people every movie.  I don't know if I actually would recommend that anyone spend any time watching it unless you're doing it with/for your kids like I did.  But for a series that seemed pretty standard when I originally watched it 30 years ago, I was surprised at how deep the lore ended up being.  Especially since, I assume, most of that was an accident.

I saw the first The Santa Clause and liked it, but had no interest in further endeavors which I presumed were just the same premise recycled.

Speaking of X-Mas movies, I opted for a back to back the other night of the classic Chris Columbus Home Alone movies.  The first one being an all-time blockbuster, the first movie I saw multiple times in the theater.  I can recall people just about rolling in the aisles at the physical comedy a la Three Stooges.  There is little I could even nitpick about that film even three decades later.  Well except one thing...I could never comprehend how the primary McAllister family had FOUR teenage children who appeared to be the same age?  Were they quadruplets?  HA HA HA.  I suppose they could have been "Irish" quadruplets, but each actor was around 13 during filming, making it difficult to differentiate their ages.

That aside, I saw that Rotten Tomatoes only has this classic as 66% which is absurd!  Then we had Home Alone 2: Lost in New York, which remains one of the most well known "New York" films if you will.  I think I was a freshman in high school when this was released, but it was still very funny.  The Tiger Talkboy may well have been the biggest immediate "hit" from the film, as I got one, and making comedic skits and such on there was a lot of fun.  The movie itself, I think hasn't held up quite as well as the original.  Granted the story was largely the same, but the physical comedy became far too nonsensical, highlighted by Daniel Stern's electrocution scene and turning into a skeleton.  The homeless "pigeon lady" was fairly ridiculous, and a strange turn for recent Oscar winner Brenda Fricker.  I was actually surprised watching now, three decades later, at the number of problems I could spot with it.

Grizzlor wrote:

I saw the first The Santa Clause and liked it, but had no interest in further endeavors which I presumed were just the same premise recycled.

Kind of but also not really.  The second movie is about Scott, now comfortable as Santa, having to both a) save Charlie, who has landed on the Naughty list and b) find a wife so he can continue being Santa.  It's basically a romantic comedy with some silly Christmas stuff.  The "villain" is a robotic toy Santa that Bernard creates to keep order at the North Pole while Santa is away.

The latter part is a bit silly because Santa is gone *the entire year* of the first movie.  Bernard seems to have the whole toy process working, making Santa more of a figurehead than anything else.  If he's gone for a year, who really cares?

The third movie is sillier and dumber, and revolves around Santa's personal life being a bit of a mess.  His in-laws come to visit the North Pole (he's convinced them it's Canada), and Jack Frost (played by Martin Short) tries to steal the spotlight from Santa.  True story: this one has time travel.

So they do go in different directions.  Just sillier / dumber directions.  In the first movie, Scott is fighting being Santa.  In the sequels, he's fighting to stay Santa.

Just a note, again: I am absolutely not recommending these movies.

Speaking of X-Mas movies, I opted for a back to back the other night of the classic Chris Columbus Home Alone movies.

We watched these too.  I thought they held up great.  One thing that I loved about it is how well they sold the whole premise both times.  They've basically made it so that Kevin's whole family doesn't like him so they probably wouldn't immediately notice that he's gone.  It's a little unbelievable that a house full of parents would sleep in (I can't sleep until 7am if I wanted anymore, and I love sleeping in), but they do a bunch of different things to sell it:

- the power going out
- they throw out Kevin's ticket so that the number of tickets is correct for the number of people
- O'Hare is a disaster
- The only neighbor around is scary to Kevin so he doesn't go for help

I don't buy that the police would only stop by once (or that the McAlisters would let them only stop by once).  They especially should've sent someone during the day because I don't think it's reasonable to expect Kevin to answer the door at night.  Also the policeman probably should've announced himself.

I also think they should've considered checking with the pizza company.  Kevin loves pizza and they probably assumed that was the only way he'd be able to get food.  They're shocked that he went shopping and it would've been reasonable to expect he'd call there (and he did).

The second movie does an easier thing and had Kevin follow a different guy in a similar coat.  Peter (Kevin's dad) does a terrible job of keeping an eye on his son, but other than that, in a pre-9/11 world, I think it's possible.  Kevin is also the last one on the plane so assuming the flight wasn't full, it was believable that no one would notice.  Nowadays, he obviously wouldn't have been able to get on the wrong plane, but at the time, it would've worked.

I love both those movies.  Sure, the punishments that Harry and Marv gets are nonsensical, but it's still a lot of fun.

I actually always liked Home Alone 3, as well, granted the kid was a lot younger than Macauley in the first one.  Physical comedy is very rare these days.  The Hangover movies excelled in that, it still sells, but few wish to make any.  Comedies in general, they don't take risks, due to potential "backlash."  You couldn't get away with Home Alone as a "new franchise" now, but back then, it was considering perfectly silly fun to imagine such loving yet absentminded parents.

I really think the original is just so well done.  You can tell that Kevin is a sweet kid with a good heart, but you can also see how he'd really annoy his parents and siblings.  Parents and kids sometimes say terrible things to each other, but you can tell that Kevin really loves his family at the end of the day.  And his mom, even though they made two awful mistakes, basically walks through Hell twice to get back to her son. 

The first two movies are funny, fun, and have a lot of heart.  I watched the first Home Alone for the first time (I think?) as a parent, and the scene where Kevin and his mom are reunited hit me differently.

It's funny because so many things about the movie won't make sense to my daughters' generation, but I think it'll still hold up because the story is really solid and pure.

Watched Rebel Moon.  I don't think I'm a Snyder guy.  Most of his movies are fine on a first watch but I'm never all that interested in rewatching them.  I didn't think the Snyder Cut was all that much better than Whedon's version, especially when you take into account that Snyder would've had to edit the movie at some point.  Snyder had three movies that he claimed were building to an epic story, but we never ended up getting there.  It reminds me of the Flash's final season, when the producers claimed that they had these big stories they were going to do if they'd been given more episodes.  Snyder had three movies and just needed a couple more to tell the good one.

Rebel Moon certainly feels like a part one.  It doesn't feel like a complete movie.  It's got everything you love from Snyder (slow motion, bleakness, characters who have given up), but at least it's only a few minutes over two hours.

I hope Snyder's fans love it.  He seems like a genuinely good person, and I'm glad that Snyder fans have something that they really enjoy.  It just doesn't seem like his stuff is for me.