Re: Sliders DVD Releases (Universal, Mill Creek, SD blu-ray, Restoration)

Well, I've reloaded all the jobs with nnedi3 as per pneumatic's advice. Strangely, last night, AVIDemux (which I use to queue video encodes to run while I sleep or am at work) crashed and the log said it crashed halfway into "Summer of Love" (although the script runs when playing the file 'live' on my computer). I installed a newer version of AVIDemux and it's just finished "Summer of Love".

The results for "Summer of Love" are... mixed. The episode is a leap forward from the DVD, but watching it on my computer screen, the video still looks 'soft' and I can't tell if the grain is making it look aged and dirty or filling in some of the blanks. As pneumatic remarked, it's best to review these at living room distance when time permits. That's a lesson I had to learn too many times myself, thinking an AI upscale excellent on my laptop screen only to realize in the living room that it looked ghastly on the TV or worse, not really that much better.

That said, "Summer of Love" has a magic that transcends the visual problems. The moment where Skid miserably informs Rembrandt that the President of the United States is Oliver North is beautifully sad for both Rembrandt and Skid for two entirely separate reasons. Rembrandt's family lifting him to their shoulders and banging his head into a ceiling beam is hilarious.

I notice that "Summer of Love" has Quinn struggling to acquire clothes for himself and the Professor and "Prince of Wails" will maintain the issue of clothing (and the sliders trick the hotel into providing them with new garments) -- but after that, it ceases to be an issue: the Professor is perpetually in a perfectly tailored suit, Rembrandt always has perfectly pressed clothes, and Wade and Quinn somehow manage to maintain a rotation of regularly worn outfits. (Hahahahahahahaha.)

Anyway. I think I'm going to do a few versions of The Pneumatic Edition: one 1080p set with added grain, one 1080p without added grain, and one that's just 720x540 with the colour boosts but no grain or increase in scaling. At this rate, all the files should be done by the weekend. Then I'll watch them on an HDTV and decide which ones to keep.

722 (edited by ireactions 2023-04-12 21:39:34)

Requests for pneumatic:

I'm wondering if pneumatic would recommend any further adjustments to the Avisynth+ script for nnedi3 upscaling. I've currently got:

nnedi3_rpow2(rfactor=4,cshift="GaussResize",fwidth=1440,fheight=1080)

Also, what Avisynth+ command might you recommend for Lanczos? I could do two sets of encodes for comparison. I wonder if Lanczos, even if it isn't as sharp, might be more consistent between closeups, mediums and wide shots.

Also also: my TV is a 4K display. Is it possible that a 1080p video being scaled to 4K is causing video quality loss? I wonder if scaling these episodes to 4K would be worthwhile or if we've hit a point of diminishing or flat-out non-existent returns. Still, if you wanted to supply the scripting commands, I could run it.

My laptop is a low-end gaming laptop: Intel Core i7 7700HQ, 32GB of RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, two SSDs. I'm not sure the GPU really comes into it, though, if we're using CPU encoding. But I'd be happy to devote my gaming machine to running these jobs for a few days / weeks and do my other tasks on my other computer (a low-power business machine).

Thoughts on my current results:

All the 1080p with added grain files are done. I then did "Summer of Love" in 540p. I then compared the 1080p version 540p version on my 55 inch TV and... well, the nnedi3 version at 1080p was much sharper, so I'm not going to do any more 540p files.

On the 1080p file, closeups look really good. Medium shots look okay. Wide shots look bad. That's impressive when, pre-pneumatic, it all looked terrible. I wonder if more informed use of my (low-end) gaming power could yield more gains.

Also, while the grain levels seemed really heavy on my desktop monitor screen, at living room distance, I could barely see it. It really needs more grain. I'm currently on "AddGrainC(Var =7)" and it might benefit from going to at least 75. And also, the nnedi3 settings may need some tweaks.

I've stopped all encoding for now. I think the best way to do this: I need to plug my laptop into my 55 inch TV, and make the grain level adjustments when I can preview the AVS script results at actual living room distance. This will produce a level of grain texture with which I'm satisfied. I probably won't have time to do this until the weekend. And I should get some advice from pneumatic on the nnedi3 settings.

Other thoughts:

The colour levels on "Eggheads" are also really weird! Some scenes look really washed out (like Arturo visiting his wife) and some seem really colourful (like when the sliders meet the Cigarette Smoking Man but mercifully avoid getting caught up in the convoluted myth-arc of THE X-FILES).

However, it is wonderful to finally start up "Last Days" and not see all the jagged edges on the opening shots. The Pneumatic Edition is a wonder for finally getting these files some optimal deinterlacing.

723 (edited by pneumatic 2023-04-14 01:57:26)

ireactions wrote:

Requests for pneumatic:
I'm wondering if pneumatic would recommend any further adjustments to the Avisynth+ script for nnedi3 upscaling. I've currently got:

nnedi3_rpow2(rfactor=4,cshift="GaussResize",fwidth=1440,fheight=1080)

Seems to be fine, although I'm not familiar with GaussResize.  The wiki says it has an adjustable sharpness parameter p so if you wanted to control final sharpness you could do eg.

nnedi3_rpow2(rfactor=4, cshift="GaussResize")
GaussResize(1440, 1080, p=30.0)    #1.0=blurry, 100.0=very sahrp
ireactions wrote:

Also, what Avisynth+ command might you recommend for Lanczos? I could do two sets of encodes for comparison. I wonder if Lanczos, even if it isn't as sharp, might be more consistent between closeups, mediums and wide shots.

I'm just using the standard LanczosResize() with default settings which I believe is 3 taps. 

I don't normally do the upscale in Avisynth as it uses CPU so I prefer to let the media player do it on the GPU.  There's nothing particularly special about Lanczos, I just like it cause it's inexpensive and doesn't look objectionable to me.  Some people complain it's too ringy (overshoot artefacts) but I don't seem to notice it.

ireactions wrote:

Also also: my TV is a 4K display. Is it possible that a 1080p video being scaled to 4K is causing video quality loss? I wonder if scaling these episodes to 4K would be worthwhile or if we've hit a point of diminishing or flat-out non-existent returns.

Depends on how good your TV is at upscaling 1080p to 4k - I'd expect it should be perfectly fine & I'd be surprised if it was bad.   Although current model LG OLEDs have surprisingly low sharpness at max sharpness setting.

Well, I had some time this evening to check out The Pneumatic Edition of 1.02 - 1.09 on a 55 inch TV while adjusting pneumatic's Avisynth+ script. And... I think I'm going to use LanczosResize without the extra taps. I get that four taps or nnedi3 offer better sharpening, but I think that's for quality standard definition material. These episodes of SLIDERS are not in good quality.

Those scalers may make the closeups look good, but then by comparison, the medium and wide shots look worse. It seems better to aim lower and achieve more consistency where nothing looks 'great' but everything is consistently 'okay'.

I'm also adding a really high level of grain, AddGrainC(var=60). I've also really dialed down the saturation and contrast increases because any more seems to make the lack of detail in these old analog tape files look more glaring. This is a version of The Pneumatic Edition that is meant for me on my TV to be watched on a really low backlight setting (about 10 percent of the full brightness) with the TV's sharp setting reduced to zero.

I don't know if these will look good for anyone but me. I'm still going to do a grainless version, though, just to have the true Pneumatic Edition on file.

725 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2023-04-15 06:44:36)

@ireactions your artistic choices have always been the right ones.

All that being said, as a general note to both our artistes.   I may not have the familiarity or possibly the aptitude to match what you are doing.  But I do have the similar nit pickyness.   On my bucket list is editing an ultimate version of the best of whatever we can pull out of these files with the magic of technology.  That means splicing close up shots / medium shots / wide shots on a timeline (which I know I can do, as I've done that stuff before).   And possibly adjusting color or even sharpness to individual scenes.   That will be a project I hope to do one day, when I have the leisure time [not something my life affords at the moment].  It's something I would quite enjoy.

I'm currently running the encodes for The Pneumatic Edition (Lanczos with High Grain).

The issue I'm having: whenever Lanczos4Resize or nnedi3 or Topaz AI make the closeup shots look sharp, then the fuzzier mediums and wides look worse by comparison. It seems to me that using different upscaling solutions for different kinds of shots would still reflect the problems in the analog tape files: the closeups will look sharp, the mediums will look a bit fuzzy and the wides will look blurry.

Under nnedi3 and Topaz AI: "Summer of Love"'s post-titles scenes show closeups of the sliders that look good. The mediums of the sliders that look below average. Then we get to that wide shot of Quinn triggering the vortex, it's horribly blurry. The analog videotape could not hold the film detail of a wide shot.

We have the same problem in "Prince of Wails" in the hotel suite: the closeups look okay, but when we get a wide shot of the sliders reacting to Sheriff Arturo's broadcast, it's clearly low resolution videotape. It happens again when the army comes across the sliders: the closeups and mediums are fine, but that wide shot of Hurley in front of the jeep is so vaguely defined it might as well be a child's crayon rendering.

It seems best to let the closeups and mediums be a bit fuzzy to better match the fuzziness of the wides, and to add a high level of grain to provide some further uniformity. But -- I have the feeling that on anyone else's TV, my high grain files will just look displeasingly dirty and frosted. For posterity, I will encode a grainless version.

I find that not every episode needs the grain. "Prince of Wails", "Fever" and "The Weaker Sex" seem sharper than the others. I added it in anyway for consistency.

"Summer of Love" is really fuzzy, especially in the mediums of the post-titles scene and Rembrandt and Wade meeting the hippies. But then the spider-wasp scene with Quinn and the Professor looks sharp. "Last Days", "Eggheads" and "The King is Back" look dull. "Luck of the Draw" seems to have all the detail flattened out and benefits most from grain addition. The scene of Ryan saving Wade is shockingly bare, devoid of skin texture and detail and strangely lacking in colour.

It's jarring to go from that to "Into the Mystic" on the Turbine blu-ray where you can see the stone texture of Quinn's headstone and the blades of grass in the park.

But if the technology improves that can improve wides and mediums, I suppose we could upscale each episode three ways, once for wides, once for mediums, once for closeups. Then load the upscaled-for-wides file into Adobe Premiere and delete any non-wide shot from the timeline.

Then we'd import the upscaled-for-mediums file and delete any shot that's not a medium shot and position this video track 'under' the wides. Then we'd import the upscaled-for-closeups file under the previous two files and we'd have a complete episode.

I just don't know if the 'best' upscale of the wides and mediums is ever going to be less mismatched to the closeups.

727 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2023-04-15 14:48:42)

Interesting thoughts @ireactions.

One thought.  I did find an algorithm made in the academic world to add grain to an image.  It's open source and I posted the code here and corresponded via email with the creator.

I'm gonna see at some point if I can get it running on a server.   It would be interesting to try a two minute clip with it processing to add grain and see if topaz has more luck with it.

The algorithm is supposed to really not just layer a flat dots all over the image.  It's really supposed to be better but testing is seeing.  I'm not optimistic though.

The Pneumatic Edition with added grain (AddGrainC(var=60)) looks good on my TV under very specific and peculiar circumstances. I just skimmed through "Summer of Love", "Prince of Wails" and "Fever" (which have finished encoding). At the 'normal' TV setting, the high grain level caused really intense flickering across the image. This is because the sharpness of the TV is set to 50 percent. The grain was also highly present and distracting with the backlight set to 50 percent.

At the 'Energy Saver' TV setting that I use for watching standard definition video, the grain blended into the image and the faults were less glaring.  This setting has the sharpness set to 0 percent and the backlight set to 10 percent.

I don't think most people in this world do this with their TV... do they? I assume most people want the backlight to be bright and the sharpness to be high.

The episodes look alright. I think for so long, I hoped that Topaz AI or Lanczos or QTGMC or TDecimate or Doc Brown would find some way to elevate 1.02 - 1.09 to near-HD brilliance. I feel pneumatic has offered a more modest path. The Pneumatic Edition isn't great; it isn't even exactly good. Instead, pneumatic in clearing away the inadequacies of low-resolution analog tape and primitive DVD transfer has brought these Season 1 episodes to the dizzying heights of good enough.

We shouldn't allow perfect to become the enemy of good enough.

Anyway. If I'm going to show SLIDERS to a friend at their house (a fate most of my friends have avoided), I would probably bring them the non-grain augmented Pneumatic Edition that I'll encode next.

729 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2023-04-16 06:00:21)

One small step for sliders, one giant step for sliderskind

A Windows Update interrupted my encode of the grainless version of The Pneumatic Edition. But it's just as well. The grainless episodes were looking a bit bare. I've set the new encode to put the grain level at var=15, one-quarter of the higher grain files I first made out of pneumatic's foundations. That should be better for when I inflict SLIDERS during visits to family and friends and their home theatre systems.

So checking ireactions samples so far....

I agree, this, while not an order of magnitude of a "level-upping" is definitely a strong and impactful incremental improvement.  It's the general fuzzyness, wobblyness, distortion that is gone.

I'd say that one of the big tests, Prince of Wailes, is definitely definitely better.  And  I see it with King is Back.  Even Fever is definitely better though  I have to say I was disappointed that the celebration ("you're rich!") scene at the beginning isn't as clear/sharp as I've always hoped for.  That scene has always bothered me.

One note regarding the asthetic choices:  so for me close up, I find the grain a bit distracting as it's a little bit too much added noise.   On a laptop, when you are watching close up, I guess you could say it's a bit of a negative for me.

However,  I think at a distance, cast to a tv, if would show its value.  Living room distance.  So I can see arguments in both directions.

Overall, I'd say it's quite impressive what pneumatic and ireactions have managed to do.  Basically take away some of the harshest flaws of the S1 episodes, while leaving room in the future for new technologies to come in and try to extract more out of the frame, and perhaps build a more realistic proxy to how the film footage may have looked.   For now, our mad scientists have definitely extracted the best out of these babies as possible, and Universal should be commissioning them (or at least Peacock) to do a substitute for what a restoration would be.

I could do a no-grain-added version of The Pneumatic Edition (but retain the colour increases) for RussianCabbie to review.

I should really be doing my taxes today, but instead, what I really want to figure out is: how come my blu-ray/TV can upscale the Turbine blu-ray of Season 1 to look pretty decent on my TV?

Examining the files on my computer, I can tell that the Season 1 episodes on the blu-ray are blurrier and severely desaturated in comparison to the Universal S1 files. The only merit of the Turbine files: they don't have the jagged edges, flickering, and flashing interlacing lines that make the Universal files so obnoxious.

The Turbine files are objectively bad, so what is my home theatre hardware doing with them that it can't do with Universal? I have to know.

I watched "Summer of Love" and "Prince of Wails" today via the blu-ray Turbine disc on my blu-ray player and TV and... it looks nice. I said that the blu-ray was very good DVD quality, much better than the Universal DVDs. And it certainly looked that way today. Except that reviewing the blu-ray files reveals them to be blurry and desaturated and low contrast.

It looks like the strong presentation in my living room is due to a variety of factors. First: the Season 1 Turbine image may be blurry, but it doesn't have all the field issues on the Universal discs that pneumatic has devoted his life to sorting out. It doesn't have flickering and jagged edges on every straight line; it doesn't have horizontal lines flashing across the screen; it doesn't have all the aliasing on the Universal S1 files that makes the image look pixelated and overcompressed.

The image, while blurrier than the Universal discs, has a very clean look without all the obnoxious distortions. And the clean Turbine video image without the seeming pixelation of Universal is of course going to look better.

Another factor seems to be the scaling from my blu-ray player. The player scaling up the Universal discs to a 55 inch TV magnified all the lines and jagged edges and made it look worse. The player scaling up the Turbine discs is scaling a very clean image and adding a bit of pixel contrast to create the illusion of sharpness. The cleanness of the image is actually blurriness, but the slight blur across all shots whether wides, mediums or closeups actually adds a certain sheen. Blurry wide shots don't seem glaringly poor when everything has a little blur. The player could offset that blur and the image wasn't riddled with distortions, so it looked sharper than Universal.

Another feature of the player and the TV: my blu-ray player seems to amp up the saturation levels for standard definition content and my TV's energy saver settings (which I use to watch SD content on low backlight) also have increased saturation. This filled in the colour that seems to be missing from the blu-ray files, so the Turbine video image seems reasonably colourful when the files themselves look really washed out.

RussianCabbie wasn't able to play the blu-ray properly on his hardware. It played at the wrong framerate because the blu-ray uses 25 FPS files whereas NTSC uses 29.97 FPS. My blu-ray player seems to be able to handle PAL video correctly.

All-in-all, it looks like the Turbine blu-ray's S1 files, while poor, are poor in a way that my home theatre situation can remedy and present effectively. The Universal S1 files, however, are poor due to the field misalignment issues which my hardware can't address and can only make worse.

It'd be interesting to try playing a 540p version of The Pneumatic Edition on my hardware (with no grain added) and see if The Pneumatic Edition looks better than the Turbine files on this hardware since pneumatic has cleared away the field issues.

So, I have to do more comparison, backdating to the original topaz samples, but I have to say, comparing the most recent samples on a USB drive plugged into a TV, it's not even close Pneumatic S1 vs. Turbine S1.  Pnematic s1 is just sooo much better.   Not even close better.

I agree. The Pneumatic Edition is best.

The great results I'm getting from the Turbine blu-ray are due to a peculiar set of circumstances in my living room. I have no idea how it would turn out for someone else. When I have some time this coming weekend, I'm going to try playing the Turbine blu-ray on my TV using an old PS3 as the player and then a Windows laptop with an external blu-ray drive. That will tell me if the very impressive upscaling is due to the TV or the blu-ray player. I also recently asked RussianCabbie to pass on the Turbine blu-ray files to pneumatic in the hopes that pneumatic might review them and figure out what's going on with these mercurial files.

The one thing that really throws me off about The Pneumatic Edition: whenever we go to a wide shot, the image becomes so ill-defined and blurry in its downscaled analog videotape approximation of a film shot. It's really jarring and it completely knocks me out of the story because it's so mismatched to the otherwise adequate video quality; the video files can't seem to maintain consistent video quality.

In "Summer of Love", the wide shots of the sliders triggering the vortex are so hazy compared to the rest of the scene. The shots of Rembrandt and Wade standing before the hippies is like a watercolour sketch of the actual shot. In "Prince of Wails", the shots of the sliders walking into the Royal Suite look good, but when we go to a wide of the sliders looking around, the shot looks like it's VHS rather than DVD.

The problem is less distracting in the Turbine version because all the shots are a little blurry to begin with, so when we go to a blurry wide shot, it doesn't look out of place since the shot before and after it will be slightly oversmoothed too.

The Turbine version is poorer than The Pneumatic Edition, but it's consistent; you don't go from decent mediums and closeups to awful wide shots. Turbine is consistently very, very, very average (at least at living room distance).

But I think I might be making the problem worse in my files of The Pneumatic Edition: the added film grain texture that I put on the image may be making those wide shots look even more aged even as the grain adds some texture to closeups and mediums.

However, I also have to wonder if this is another issue where we're using Lanczos or nnedi3 or whatever algorithmic pixie dust of the week we're trying to bring these old videotape files to 1080p... and these files are not even really 480p. The pneumatic Avisynth+ scripts are definitely eliminating a lot of the interlacing issues of viewing a CRT-intended product on a modern LED, but what was underneath the interlacing issues offers very little for scaling up.

I'm currently attempting a nnedi3 upscale on the Turbine files just to see if I can replicate how it looks on my TV in the file itself. After that, I'm going to run The Pneumatic Edition again but with no added grain, and I'll output to 540p  and 1080p. It'll be interesting to know if one is more consistent than the other.

736 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2023-04-25 05:23:54)

I think you hit the nail on the head on this.

And on one thing you noticed, it is a weird phenomenon where the wide shots look more fuzzy/vhs-ee and the closer stuff  is more in acceptable territory (from the perspective of DVD-like quality).

But, I would much more prefer that contrast than lowering the quality on close/medium shots.  In fact, as I recall now pneumatic made one artistic decision to go for a more universal look, and actually did try to make it more consistent.  Or, maybe that was between episodes rather than shots?

Another thing I am noticing, is that at least on my tv, playing off a USB connected to theTV vs. a PC connected to the  tv with a USB  cord may make a difference.

When it's connected via a PC to tv, the TV has a "PC Mode" option that comes up (standard, movie, custom, pc).  I think the PC Mode somoething with the gamma colors, or maybe just how it handles or processes closes, or maybe some lines of resolution thing...    there's something about it that elevates the color in a more semi-vibrant, real-life way than the darker look we otherwise get.   I guess on PC mode it's also using VLC player but VLC player on its own doesn't do this.

The old samples of Topaz, which I will compare this weekend, to the new stuff, my memory has them looking a better color-wise and so I want to next check out pneumatic playing off the laptop-connected-to-tv to see how it plays.

Perhaps similar to what you are saying here:

Another feature of the player and the TV: my blu-ray player seems to amp up the saturation levels for standard definition content and my TV's energy saver settings (which I use to watch SD content on low backlight) also have increased saturation. This filled in the colour that seems to be missing from the blu-ray files, so the Turbine video image seems reasonably colourful when the files themselves look really washed out.

I'm convinced that, in addition to the upres your blu-ray seems to be able to do on turbine, along with capturing the coloring that specific VLC settings (which i've posted here in the past) plus gamma/pc mode changes could probably push everything even further.  To more the "ultimate" version.  At least with current technologies.  I have not been able to achieve the color quality of PC mode with just adjusting VLC settings alone.

I also have a hunch with your blu-ray player that the upscale algorithm is either really f'cken good OR it's really simple and basic (e.g. way simpler approach than topaz), and that simple/basic formula works well on Turbine.   I also have a hunch that maybe that your blu-ray player won't do upscaling on content in the same way unless it reaches a certain level of poor?  Maybe it doesn't reach that treshshold algorithmically with Universal, but some logic kicks in with Turbine (that may not be triggered with Mill Creek, or it is but Mill Creek source doesn't upscale well with it's algorithm).  I don't know, just throwing out guesses.

One thing that is nice about Pneumatic edition is, I dont think I've ever seen the S1 lettering so sharp on an HD tv.  It's a jarring pleasant surprise to see clean lettering.  And less wobbling on that initial wide shot of the street from the King is Back episode.

The Pneumatic Edition is definitely the best of the lot, especially in avoiding the obnoxious flicker. Even the Turbine version of those episodes have a small amount in some of the worst scenes on Universal.

Why do the Turbine blu-ray discs of Season 1 look so good on my budget blu-ray player (bought for $35 USD refurbished)?

My current theory: the player must be using a very simple scaler. There's no way this $35 player has any sort of neural net or AI scaling or so much as a noise filter. It's likely bilinear scaling, a low-power method of analyzing the surrounding four pixels of each pixel to add more for upscaling.

Bilinear is out of vogue these days since bicubic creates smoother gradients by analyzing the surrounding 16 pixels while Lanczos and nnedi3 have even more intricate methods to smooth-sharpen video. But I'm starting to think Lanczos, nnedi3 and Topaz AI may be completely overshooting on SLIDERS 1.02 - 1.09.

Those scalers are all about rebuilding detail and maintaining smoothness at higher resolutions to offset upscaling degradation. 1.03 - 1.09 don't have much detail to rebuild, so what we keep getting is an oversmoothed blur on video that was already lacking detail.

Bilinear is probably adding very simple pixel contrast that is well-suited to the fuzzy Turbine files. That and the HDMI Deep Color setting are probably making the files look like a good (enough) DVD.

I'll run a few bilinear scaling jobs and report back later.

As for the Universal files: pneumatic's QTGMC deinterlacing and detelecining have created a fairly clean set of files. I think my grain additions were a mistake.

I suspect that pursuing the illusion of sharpness with grain and increasingly complex scaling algorithms is trying to build on a foundation of sharpness that isn't there.

It may be better to just use pneumatic's QTGMC script but edit it to use bicubic scaling to prioritize smoothness over sharpness in these low-grain, low-detail videotape files. But I'm going to start with the Turbine files first since I've already seen how that can turn out pretty well from my $35 blu-ray player.

I haven't been a big fan of the grain, and find it feeling like it's a "dirtier" tape/image.  I mean, I think I may be more ok with flat/smooth more than you, but I've usually added the smallest amount of grain possible when using VLC player on files, so I think tiny texture is good.  But not floating/dancing dots that maybe also not feel natural.  But I also don't like authentic grain, over exposed 16mm look either.

I agree, the grain was a bad move. This is the first time in recorded history that I have made a mistake. Now I know how everyone else must feel.

ha!

I'm currently going back to The Pneumatic Edition and running another encode on 1.02 - 1.09. I've elected to use the bilinear scaler because it worked so well on those smooth Turbine files. And I find that pneumatic-style QTGMC detelecined files have a certain smoothness that's actually very reminiscent of the Turbine files and might benefit from that simple pixel contrast increase. I also won't be adding grain to these files.

I was working with the Turbine files in Hybrid and the bilinear scaling was turning out some good results, but Hybrid seems like a poorly coded program that couldn't produce the colour settings that it was promising in its previews. I realized I'd need to use Avisynth+ to do it properly... and I felt I should use pneumatic's script on the Universal files first.

After I finish The Pneumatic Bilinear Edition, I'll use Avisynth+ to use bilinear scaling on the Turbine files. It'll make for a neat comparison.

742 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2023-04-28 13:45:27)

@ireactions Don't want to distract from the current course, I love that you've identified the probable algorithm your blu-ray player used to upscale s1 well (on Turbine).

But, regarding the Pneumatic edition, what is your guesses as to how it would affect the pilot, given the pilot didn't have the same level of issues as the rest of s1, but Pneumatic's avi synth changes obviously had such a strong impact on cleaning up ep. 102-109?

I do have one question on this:

As for the Universal files: pneumatic's QTGMC deinterlacing and detelecining have created a fairly clean set of files. I think my grain additions were a mistake.

I suspect that pursuing the illusion of sharpness with grain and increasingly complex scaling algorithms is trying to build on a foundation of sharpness that isn't there.

It may be better to just use pneumatic's QTGMC script but edit it to use bicubic scaling to prioritize smoothness over sharpness in these low-grain, low-detail videotape files. But I'm going to start with the Turbine files first since I've already seen how that can turn out pretty well from my $35 blu-ray player.

Is the TIVTC still being used?  As I recall, that yielded very good results for 102-109.

Roku in the u.s. and Peacock (subscripition) has Seaquest, which was produced by Amblin/Spielberg, and got the blu-ray treatment as a result.  It's all in HD, with a true re-scan.  I'm watching off streaming but I am quite surprised how favorably the pilot of Sliders with topaz compares to it.

RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan wrote:

@ireactions But, regarding the Pneumatic edition, what is your guesses as to how it would affect the pilot, given the pilot didn't have the same level of issues as the rest of s1, but Pneumatic's avi synth changes obviously had such a strong impact on cleaning up ep. 102-109?

Is the TIVTC still being used?  As I recall, that yielded very good results for 102-109.

My (very shaky) understanding from pneumatic's script and posts: it's TIVTC/TFM for detelecining, and then QTGMC is deinterlacing and interpolating any combed frames that remain (and there seem to be a lot in 1.02 - 1.09).

My (very shaky) understanding: the issue with Handbrake's using detelecine function is that while it reduced glaring interlacing issues (jagged edges, lines), the added pixels to fill in the gaps just muddied what little detail was there. Also, you were still left with a small amount of flicker. This is because the detelecine process generated the missing field data for those problem frames via a simplistic process of copying and averaging the surrounding image information. In addition, the Handbrake process output files at 640x480 when the image data, pneumatic explained, is actually for a 720x540 video, so Handbrake was costing us about 11 percent resolution.

pneumatic's solutions seem to retain as much of the Universal file's data as possible because QTGMC uses motion analysis to better match and fill in the missing image data. QTGMC also alters the existing fields to blend into the new material. This doesn't make things sharper because it isn't sharp to begin with; it just avoids making things fuzzier, resolves the field alignment issues and creates that smoothness in the pneumatic results.

I think. I still don't totally understand it (yet).

Anyway. I ran pneumatic's script on the Pilot episode, playing the script and video live via Media Player Classic. It fixed the jagged lines on Quinn's car when he drives up to the park. And it did a better job than Handbrake. Handbrake reduced the jagged edges significantly and they were about 80 percent gone and far less annoying, but pneumatic's script removed about 95 percent of the flicker. However, the Pilot had so few instances of these aliased edges, so pneumatic's version is a modest improvement (but still an improvement). Also, pneumatic's method produces a 720x540 file, so we'd have 11 percent more image data to feed into Topaz AI for an upscale, another minor improvement.

The Pilot episode is the only AI upscale I kept and I think upscaling pneumatic's version from 540 to 1080 would resolve a few minor visual issues, add a very fine level of detail... but I suspect for the most part, you would barely notice. I think it's worth doing in full for the Pilot episode.

745 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2023-04-28 21:27:55)

11% seems substantial and who knows - that may come through in the final results.  The currrent topaz pilot looks incredible to me but i'd say up close, right in front of the tv, it's clearer it's not HD. I wonder if you'd get more out of the lines of resolution now.

Well, I loaded the Pilot into the queue for encoding. Only outputting it to 540p, though.

I can't emphasize enough: I don't really understand QGTMC or TDecimate and my vague understandings could lead to opinions that are very, very wrong. Hopefully, pneumatic will pay us a visit to correct the many misapprehensions that I'm sure I've posted.

ireactions wrote:

My (very shaky) understanding from pneumatic's script and posts: it's TIVTC/TFM for detelecining, and then QTGMC is deinterlacing and interpolating any combed frames that remain (and there seem to be a lot in 1.02 - 1.09).

Yep that's right, except it's using BWDIF for deinterlacing and then applying QTGMC "repair mode" to all frames. 

If we use QTGMC for deinterlacing it looks bad cause QTGMC deint frames are so visually different in terms of the shapes of object outlines that it's noticeable when a QTGMC deint frame is occasionally substituted in.  Kind of looks like object outlines are popping slightly larger.     

I've been busy working on a script with presets to choose things like whether you want to output 24p/60p, whether to apply QTGMC repairing to deint frames or all frames (in case you don't want it suppressing film grain all the time), specifying how much of the source contains video camera content like the Eggheads episode so it uses lower combing detection thresholds for those scenes, and some other things.

Ah, thank you for the clarification. I'm really interested in this new script you're working on! I'm not sure the Universal files for 1.02 - 1.09 have much or even any grain. If it did, we'd be watching Topaz AI upscales now.

Still working on The Pneumatic Bilinear Edition. I've decided to switch to Nvidia GPU encoding (Nvenc 264). I'd previously 'felt' that Nvenc video didn't seem as good as CPU-only encodes, but I could never point to it or figure out why from screenshots whether still or in motion. I have to conclude that it was simply a bias without evidence aside from Nvenc having no tuning settings for grain. I set the bitrate to 10 MBps and the file sizes are only 3 - 6 percent larger than CPU h.264.

Since I'm no longer seeking to add grain and the original files don't have any, I may as well take advantage of GPU encoding taking one hour per episode instead of three. This will also allow me to run different batches of jobs with different scalers. I finished all the bilinear encodes.

I found that bilinear turned out really good results on "Luck of the Draw" where the simple pixel contrast/pixelation on surfaces actually mimicked a subtle grain. For some episodes like "Eggheads", however, I found myself wondering if bicubic smoothness would  be preferable. I'm running the bicubic set now and I'll compare them side by side and decide which one to keep. I guess it'll be The Pneumatic Nvidia Edition if there's a mix and match.

Of course, I'd end up redoing it all over again with pneumatic's new script (which is why speedier GPU encoding seems necessary).

The job that is currently running is pneumatic's script on the Pilot but with nnedi3 scaling it to 1080p. It'll be interesting to compare a pneumatic-1080p pilot with the Topaz 1080p pilot. I suspect that, because the Pilot's video quality is so strong already even at DVD quality, pneumatic's version might be an improvement since it won't have the peculiar AI muddiness on wide shots that's offset by AI grain.

Topaz AI, I think, is really best for video files like the Mill Creek Season 4 - 5 files: extremely grainy, compressed SD files sourced from digital videotape that, due to the grain, can be AI-rebuilt to a close approximation of the original film.

749 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2023-04-29 10:13:18)

@ireactions -- that's interesting that bilinear may be better for some vs. bicubic for others.  Obviously, you are still evaluating but as we've talked about in this thread before, it has always felt like there's some lack of consistency between episodes -- and it was never clear if it had to do with how they were  shot and just the characteristics of the filmmaking, or some post production process.  I mean, some episodes just seemed really awful in the old VHS looking style but I never understood if that was just because of lighting and cinematography, or more at play.

The fact that you have had such good results wiht the bilinear does feel like a breakthrough.  Quite exciting actually.

If you are using a video card for processing now, I would think about doing a sample of gaia vs. artemis for anything with topaz.  I don't know if the processing time will still be multiple times what artemsis would be (and if so, forget it), but in general, at  least with the pilot, and perhaps something else, there may be enough "good" source data in there for gaia to take advantage.  It seems to be designed for content that does have enough foundation of that data.  A limited 30 second  clip may tell you.

My uneducated guess: the Pilot was shot and edited on film as a big budget production to sell to a network. For broadcast, the film master was transferred to something like Betacam SP (340 lines of resolution, a broadcast standard format of the era).

The series that followed, however, was shot on film and then transferred to what looks like really low resolution analog videotape, likely U-Matic, Betamax or 8mm videotape (250 lines of resolution) -- and then transferred to a Betacam SP equivalent which saw 250 line tape copied to 340 line tape, resulting in not only generational loss but degraded image quality from the stretching. (Thank you to pneumatic for explaining generational loss.)

My uneducated guess would be that 1.02 - 1.09 were edited in a variety of videotape formats.

"Summer of Love" and "Luck of the Draw" seem unusually fuzzy. "Eggheads" seems all over the place in image quality. "Last Days" and "The Weaker Sex" seem middling. "Prince of Wails", "Fever" and "The King is Back" seem better than the rest. This suggests at least three different kinds of videotape.

I'm not sure there's a rationale based on content. "Summer of Love" and "Prince of Wails" are on opposite ends of the quality spectrum and both have high special effects sequences. "Summer of Love" and "Last Days" are at opposite ends of the production order and yet, both are low quality.

It would suggest that the studio had multiple suites of different equipment for film-to-videotape transfer and videotape editing, acquired over a decade or two. Shows would book transfer-and-editing equipment based on what was available. Consistency in videotape formats didn't matter. CRT SD broadcast would look the same no matter what you used. On a CRT, the Pilot does not look better or worse than "Summer of Love".

It's possible that when transferring the videotape edit to a broadcast tape, some videotape formats suffer more generational loss than others.

It's also possible that certain episodes, like "Eggheads" with its sportsball scenes, were edited across different video suites in order to accommodate the sports scenes shot on videotape. Then some non-sport scenes were edited on the same sport-videotape hardware due to urgency -- while the rest of the episode was edited in a separate bay. Different videotape formats for different scenes could explain why that episode's video quality is strangely variable.

I'll certainly look into different upscaling means for the Pilot after I finish the Turbine experiments.

I have some questions for pneumatic because I still don't fully understand his learnings and some of the underlying technologies.

What exactly is the difference between deinterlacing interpolation and deinterlacing weaving?
You've specified that QTGMC doesn't weave but instead interpolates.

My (shaky) understanding is that interpolation is when the deinterlacer takes an even or odd field that's only 50 percent of the image (stretched to fill 100 percent of the frame) -- and takes a guess at what's in the missing 50 percent of the of the frame based on analyzing previous and subsequent frames as well as the existing information in the current frame.

My (shaky) understanding is that weaving is when the deinterlacer combines the even and odd fields and then doubles that frame in order to meet the video's existing framerate (or the framerate would otherwise be cut in half).

My (shaky) understanding is that interpolation can create image degradation if the missing data is filled in with bad estimations, and bad estimations happen when the current and surrounding frames don't have helpful information for the algorithm.

My (shaky) understanding is that weaving creates motion artifacts when the weaved frames of two fields don't line up precisely due to movement in the scene.

My (shaky) understanding is that most modern blu-ray players will use progressive scan on a DVD, which combines two fields into one frame and then duplicates that frame by three or two for an alternating 3-2 pattern that reduces the motion artifacts and provides a full image without the guesswork of interpolation.

My (shaky) understanding is that when dealing with video like SLIDERS 1.02 - 1.09 where the fields were scaled separately and misaligned, progressive scan produces all ugly visual anomalies on the Universal discs (as does weaving). Meanwhile, interpolation to remove those artifacts depends on analyzing current and surrounding frame-fields to fill in the gaps; since the fields are misaligned, that analysis yields poor data and image degradation.

My (shaky) understanding is that QTGMC's motion analysis yields better data to fill in those gaps which is why the pneumatic scripts have yielded better results than handbrake or progressive scan players.

It's a shaky understanding that I'm hoping pneumatic can correct when time permits.

752 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2023-04-29 14:20:36)

ireactions wrote:

"Summer of Love" and "Luck of the Draw" seem unusually fuzzy. "Eggheads" seems all over the place in image quality. "Last Days" and "The Weaker Sex" seem middling. "Prince of Wails", "Fever" and "The King is Back" seem better than the rest. This suggests at least three different kinds of videotape.

I'm not sure there's a rationale based on content. "Summer of Love" and "Prince of Wails" are on opposite ends of the quality spectrum and both have high special effects sequences. "Summer of Love" and "Last Days" are at opposite ends of the production order and yet, both are low quality.

I wonder if Temporal Flux would know anything about how these episodes were produced, eg if they had different teams dividing up the work, and perhaps using different practices or equipment/resources.  Because they were shooting one a week, maybe post production required different teams working in parrellel because post product required a lot of time and the schedule demanded it.

I guess the credits may give us information about the different crews involved.

ireactions wrote:

What exactly is the difference between deinterlacing interpolation and deinterlacing weaving?
You've specified that QTGMC doesn't weave but instead interpolates.

Interpolation is really just a synonym for upscaling - taking some samples like pixels and making a guess at what the pixels in between them might be based on the surrounding pixels.

The simplest form of deinterlacing is Bob deinterlacing which just takes each 720x240 field (60 of these per second in a 30fps interlaced file) and upscales them to 720x480, typically using Bicubic or Bilinear resizing in the vertical direction.  If you want to see what it looks like type Bob() in Avisynth.  The result is soft and flickery, but frame rate is perfect and combing artefacts are impossible.

QTGMC deinterlacing is like Bob deinterlacing but NNEDI3 upscaling each field from 720x240 to 720x480, followed by some advanced techniques to smooth and antialias the image.  I believe it looks at the previous/next field as part of this process.  But it never weaves fields together - a test pattern of alternating 1px white/black horizontal lines always becomes solid white/black in each output frame, just like with Bob.  I would characterise QTGMC deinterlacing as the best possible version of Bob deinterlacing.  It tremendously repairs the field misalignment issue in the Mill Creek release.

QTGMC "repair" mode doesn't deinterlace at all, it just looks at progressive frames and applies its antialising magic to it.  Film grain is slightly suppressed but the 1px black/white lines are fully resolved.  Field misalignment issue is not repaired. 

ireactions wrote:

My (shaky) understanding is that weaving is when the deinterlacer combines the even and odd fields and then doubles that frame in order to meet the video's existing framerate (or the framerate would otherwise be cut in half).

It depends what the cadence is.  1:1 cadence is where every field is a temporally unique image captured from a new moment in time, like the Mindgame scenes in Eggheads.  Sports, news, talk shows and soap operas tend to use it.  If we weave every pair of 2 fields together on a 1:1 sequence the resulting image is combed:

top field        A-C-E-G-I-K-M-O-Q-S
bottom field     B-D-F-H-J-L-N-P-R-T
combed?          Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y

(letters indicate temporally unique image)

To avoid combing on 1:1 we can use Bob, but a better solution is BWDIF (bob-weave deinterlace filter) which uses Bob deinterlacing for moving parts of the image and weaves any static parts.  Result is 480p60 same as Bob.  From memory this method of deinterlacing became mainstream around the late 2000's and was touted as "per pixel deinterlacing".

If the cadence is 2:2 (every 2 fields = a temporally unique image) like the spinning earths in the intro, weaving them results in 480p30:

cadence          2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2
top field        A-B-C-D-E-F-G-H-I-J
bottom field     A-B-C-D-E-F-G-H-I-J
combed?          N N N N N N N N N N

If the cadence is 3:2 (99% of the show) we get:

cadence            3 2 3 2   3 2 3 2
top field        A-A-B-C-D-E-E-F-G-H
bottom field     A-B-C-C-D-E-F-G-G-H
combed?          N Y Y N N N Y Y N N

TFM field matching applied to the above results in:

cadence            4 2 2 2   4 2 2 2
top field        A-A-B-C-D-E-E-F-G-H
bottom field     A-A-B-C-D-E-E-F-G-H
combed?          N N N N N N N N N N
duplicate?         Y         Y 

TDecimate can then remove the 1 in 5 duplicates to produce 480p24.

So we have a mix of 480p24, 480p30 and 480p60 coming out of the original 480i30 container.  If your goal is to preserve these original rates, they would fit best inside a 480p60 container, which is what I'm currently working on in Avisynth.  99% of the show is 3:2 though, so most people would probably be fine with putting it all inside a 480p24 container and tolerating the odd bit of stutter/combing on 2:2 and 1:1 sequences.

ireactions wrote:

My (shaky) understanding is that when dealing with video like SLIDERS 1.02 - 1.09 where the fields were scaled separately and misaligned, progressive scan produces all ugly visual anomalies on the Universal discs (as does weaving).

Yes, although I think the field misalignment issue is not too severe on the Universal NTSC discs.

If the field misalignment on 1.02 - 1.09 is not too severe, I shudder to think what is severe...

I ran pneumatic's script on the Pilot (Universal) along with pneumatic's nnedi3 settings to output it to 1080p. I can report that the results are superior to Handbrake and Topaz AI in a somewhat subtle yet undeniable way. Handbrake left some faint flicker on straight lines; pneumatic's script has reduced it to trace amounts of flicker at most. Also, Handbrake muddied the image a little with its detelecine process and output a 480p file; pneumatic's process gives us a 540p file, so there's a bit more sharpness and detail.

nnedi3 also seems to do better than Topaz AI because Topaz had a tendency to smooth out the image textures (and video compression artifacts)  to make the video seem clean and well-scaled in going from 480p to 1080p. nnedi3, however, prioritizes sharpness over smoothness and has more detail from pneumatic. The result: you see the shades of stubble on Jerry O'Connell's face; more texture of John Rhys-Davies' skin; more strands in Sabrina Lloyd's hair; more detail in Cleavant Derricks' suit. It's not fully resolved HD detail, but there are more indicators of detail and more sharpness whereas Topaz AI smoothed all this out to a gentle fake-HD fuzziness.

I don't think it makes a huge difference at living room distance, but since this is the series premiere of SLIDERS, it is certainly worth the extra detail that pneumatic's process has wrung out of the DVD.

I'm not sure Topaz AI can do better than nnedi3, but after my Turbine experiments, I'll certainly drop the 540p file into Topaz AI and try different upscaling methods there.

ireactions wrote:

If the field misalignment on 1.02 - 1.09 is not too severe, I shudder to think what is severe...

Mill Creek.

ireactions wrote:

I ran pneumatic's script on the Pilot (Universal) along with pneumatic's nnedi3 settings to output it to 1080p.

Which script was it - this one?  Because that one doesn't repair the field alignment - only QTGMC in deinterlacing mode does that (InputType=1 is repair mode, InputType=0 is deinterlacing mode).

Maybe the improvement you're seeing is the antialiasing provided by QTGMC repair mode?  It does work wonders at times.

This is the script I used.

clip = "D:\!MakeMKV\S1 - Universal\Sliders - 101.mkv"   # produced from the disc using MakeMKV (lossless remux)
CPUcores = 8  

video = LWLibavVideoSource(clip, stream_index=-1, repeat=true, cache=true)
audio = LWLibavAudioSource(clip, stream_index=1, cache=true)
AudioDub(video, audio)

TFM(mode=0, slow=2, scthresh=100, PP=3, metric=1, cthresh=9, MI=200,
\    clip2=PropDelete("_FieldBased").bwdif(field=-1, thr=5, edeint=nnedi3(field=-1)))

TDecimate(mode=0, cycleR=1, cycle=5, hybrid=1, viddetect=2, vidthresh=4.5,
\    denoise=true, chroma=false, hint=false)

QTGMC(InputType=1, preset="slow", Sharpness=1.0, FPSDivisor=1, Rep0=13, EZKeepGrain=1.0, EdiThreads=CPUcores/4) 

z_ConvertFormat(                      
\ colorspace_op="601:601:170m:full=>709:709:709:full",
\ resample_filter="spline36",
\ interlaced=true,
\ dither_type="ordered")

Tweak(sat=1.45) #Sorry, pneumatic, I know you don't approve of this.

nnedi3_rpow2(rfactor=4, cshift="GaussResize")
GaussResize(1440, 1080, p=30.0)

Prefetch(CPUcores)

757 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2023-04-29 21:00:48)

Very interesting reactions.  The previous topaz pilot as you know I think is stellar but it definitely had smoother textures so it's interesting to hear you say you are getting more detail.  Although maybe that's partly the extra resolution rather than upscale method. 11% is a lot.

ireactions wrote:

I'm not sure Topaz AI can do better than nnedi3, but after my Turbine experiments, I'll certainly drop the 540p file into Topaz AI and try different upscaling methods there.

I think you tried double upscaling (lanzos/topaz?) in the past and it was a dud.  I wonder if there is any possibility of gains here since you mentioned more detail in the image (presumably for topaz to work off of).  But maybe it won't be true grain info to work off of. Maybe a straight topaz would be better than nnedi3 to topaz (though possibly not better than nnedi3 itself).

ireactions wrote:

Tweak(sat=1.45) #Sorry, pneumatic, I know you don't approve of this.

lol   

Honestly I just think it's great that we have these kinds of tweaking capabilities - I'm constantly editing my .avs files and tweaking my MadVR tags to get things looking "better" for certain seasons of shows and it's great.

759 (edited by pneumatic 2023-05-03 07:43:35)

Thanks to a forum member for lending me their copy of Turbine BD, here are some comparisons of NTSC DVD vs PAL DVD vs Turbine BD.

All are remuxes from the original discs, all were inverse telecined with TFM to 576p then Bicubic upscaled to 1080p in Photoshop (otherwise the screenshots are tiny).

101 [NTSC DVD] [PAL DVD] [Turbine BD]
104 [NTSC DVD] [PAL DVD] [Turbine BD]
206 [NTSC DVD] [PAL DVD] [Turbine BD]
305 [NTSC DVD] [PAL DVD] [Turbine BD]
405 [NTSC DVD] [PAL DVD] [Turbine BD]

According to MediaInfo the Turbine BD is MPEG2 576i25 @ ~5mpbs, the same ancient technology as the PAL DVD (MPEG2 released in 1996).

imo the NTSC DVD is still the best and the PAL DVD is perhaps slightly better than the Turbine BD.

760 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2023-04-30 04:55:04)

Ireactions deserves the credit here for making it happen. )

In terms of episode comparisons, S1's pilot looks like it has best grain in NTSC (or is that just bc it's darker?), best coloring in PAL.  Turbine looks the worst.

I'm super surprised how different they all are.

On episode 104, NTSC clearly has more information (quinn's eyes are a good point of reference), PAL smooths it out, and Turbine just gets worse (including the color).

S2 - NTSC seems to have once again more data in the image, pixels of info (which is odd bc I thought PAL had more lines of resolution?); PAL and Turbine look remarkably similar here.  They pal/turbine definitely has a smoothness vs. more pixel feel to the NTSC data. NTSC has slightly better coloring (although not sure, maybe there is room for debate).

S3 -- NTSC clear winner, Turbine and Pal are essentially indistinguishable but Turbine may have a 2-3% edge.

S4 -- NTSC winner (look at quinn's face or roof shingles as a point of reference).   What's odd is the Pal/Turbine images appear to be stretched vertically (taller).   I think this stretching may be causing more blurryness?

And Turbine seems a bit better on this one, look at this as a reference:

https://i.ibb.co/60jWk9L/image.png

761 (edited by ireactions 2023-04-30 06:19:22)

This lensdump site doesn't work for me. I've tried three different browsers and the images don't load.

Turbine blu-ray for S2 to S5 episodes look significantly better in my living room than the NTSC DVDs, but if pneumatic says Turbine is actually poorer, then I wonder if my living room TV/bluray scaler is somehow working well with the blu-ray but not working on my DVDs. I also have to wonder if playing the raw MKV files on my Android TV without any inverse telecine is having some effect on our differing results.

But thinking about it, I now suspect my comparison was flawed because I compared the raw MKV blu-ray files to Handbrake processed DVD files (which has a haze-inducing detelecine process and reduces the image resolution from 540 to 480). There's also perceptual bias on my part due to my frustration with Universal.

Why don't the Turbine files have all the jagged edges and flicker of the NTSC version?

In other news, I've looked over the bicubic and bilinear versions of The Pneumatic Edition and the bilinear version has a little more edge-pixel contrast that I prefer for these fuzzy videotape files. But I have to be honest, with pneumatic informing us that the Turbine blu-ray is actually poorer than the DVDs, I'm not really filled with confidence in my assessments anymore. I'm going to take a GPU-powered nnedi3 run at these files one last time.

ireactions wrote:

This lensdump site doesn't work for me. I've tried three different browsers and the images don't load.

This happened to me too in chrome.  Right click the image and then select "Load Image"

I've never seen this before on the web; the image initially loads then breaks.  But anyway, right click it and click load image and it should work.

763 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2023-04-30 06:46:07)

ireactions wrote:

But I have to be honest, with pneumatic informing us that the Turbine blu-ray is actually poorer than the DVDs, I'm not really filled with confidence in my assessments anymore. I'm going to take a GPU-powered nnedi3 run at these files one last time.

Well I'm a bit confused too, because I seem to recall evaluating the blu-ray and thinking later production episodes were better. I was using a junky blu-ray player too.  I have to look back in this thread to find the comments, just to make sure I was comparing to dvd files.

764 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2023-04-30 06:48:18)

ireactions wrote:

I'm always surprised by the sound of Kari's voice when I haven't heard it for awhile. It's higher-pitched than I remember. I don't think poorly of her post-Season 3 acting, but she'll never be a favourite for me. Certainly, she never turned up on camera drunk like, say, Jerry O'Connell.

It's strange: for Universal DVDs and the Turbine SD blu-ray release, the video quality across the individual non-Pilot episodes of Season 1 are not consistent.

Universal DVD:
On the DVD (which uses the NTSC masters): some episodes have serious aliasing issues where lines that should be straight and smooth are instead jagged and pixelated, and when the camera moves, those jagged lines become further pixelated (the term is moiré pattern). The episodes that suffer from this: "Prince of Wails," "Fever," "Last Days," "Eggheads" and "Luck of the Draw."

"Prince of Wails" is glaring when the sliders encounter the army in Oakland: the humvee and the car suffer severely from jagged lines. "Fever"'s scenes in the drugstore are really pixelated with the racks of herbal medicine. "Last Days"' opening shot of the quiet residential streets are distorted. "Eggheads" looks especially bad with the scene where Arturo meets his wife. "Luck of the Draw"'s fashion display looks hideous.

I'm not sure why these five specific episodes have these aliasing issues more severely than the other three non-pilot episodes on the Universal DVD. It may be a DVD authoring issue where the interlaced format for those four episodes had the incorrect settings for encoding the video with odd and even fields, a mistake that the Turbine release didn't repeat.

Turbine SD blu-ray:
These jagged edges in the NTSC DVDs aren't in the PAL-sourced SD blu-ray from Germany, although these versions of the episodes are blurrier. But "Summer of Love" is strange: it is so much blurrier than the other seven non-pilot episodes and severely desaturated, missing almost half the colour from the NTSC DVD version. This is odd because the other non-pilot Turbine episodes of Season 1 are not as blurry or colour-drained as "Summer of Love."

Episodes 103 - 108 Turbine episodes of Season 1 ("Prince of Wails" to "The King is Back") are suffering only from about a 10 - 15 per cent loss of colour and about a 15 - 20 per cent loss of contrast. "Luck of the Draw" from this set isn't missing any of the colour compared to the Universal DVD, although it has the same lack of contrast as the previous episodes. And 103 - 109 are all, compared to the Universal DVD, missing about 20 - 25 per cent of the Universal DVD's sharpness (which wasn't that sharp to begin with).

I'm guessing that the NTSC analog videotapes were duplicated to PAL and stretched, and analog copying creates a faded second generation copy; "Summer of Love"'s PAL master may have been made from a copy of a copy of the NTSC tape.

I'm now wondering if Turbine's versions of "Prince of Wails," "Fever," "Last Days," "Eggheads" and "Luck of the Draw" might be a better bet for low-gain upscaling. The AI could try to sharpen the SD files to be closer to the Universal DVD version while still leaving it at 480p to avoid all the AI distortions, and then Avidemux could use bicubic or Lanczos scaling to bring it to 1080p while also moderately increasing the colour and contrast.

Well I guess this speaks to the inconsistency between episodes with s1....

You mention a lot of things here with turbine vs. Universal.  Related to that I seem to recall strongly preferring most episodes of s2 turbine over universal (with goodfellas being an exception bc it played really pixelated and jaggy on my equipment).

However I think I recall maybe preferring s1 on universal vs.turbine and I just tried to find what I wrote it anything in this thread and don't see notes.

My blu ray player that could handle the pal format has since broke.

You could see my comments on S2 here.

One thing to also remember is how different Goodfellas looked for you vs. me.  I had what seemed to be a lot of pixelation (compression artififacts?).  I know it's S2, and you're talking about S1 above but the image looked terrible.  That said, I mostly found S2 episodes better on turbine than universal.

Another relevant comment, perhaps somewhat related

I just did a comet vs. german release vs. original up-res samples comparison on goodfellas.

then universal dvd Rules of the Game vs. german release.

On the dvd/sd on blu-ray comparison, there was a clear advantage to the german release.  The universal release had a comparative noisy haze over the entire picture.

On the greatfellas comparison, the upres blew the german release out of the water.  The german release was an order of magnitude better than comet.

it's difficult for me to say if the german release looks better than peacock on goodfellas.  Close ups may be better and peacock seems to have more of a greenish hue to the image (i think) but on farther shots there is a far amount of pixelation on the german release that is smoother with peacock.  Then again, standing 12-14 feet, away the german release just looks better.

Here I compared Rules of the Game (s3) Universal to Turbine and strongly favored Turbine.  I wonder how screenshots of the files would look.  I wonder how much blu-ray players are affecting universal and turbine quality.   At the top of page 6 in this thread, we both provide screenshots of our respective Turbine Goodfellas experiences and we get very different results...

I have no doubt that pneumatic is correct to determine that Turbine uses poorer files than the Universal set. Why have RussianCabbie and I gotten better results from Turbine in many cases?

I have wondered about bias, but given that RussianCabbie too got better results from Turbine disc playback, I wonder if the blu-ray players may be the factor.

RussianCabbie and I watching the Turbine discs and Universal discs on our blu-ray players would have been seeing the files played with progressive scan to convert 25fps (Turbine) or 29.97fps (Universal) to 24fps TV display. Progressive scan combines separate fields to form full progressive frames and duplicates or drops frames as needed for playback.

Is it possible that the progressive scan combining separate field-frames will create some image degradation from minor field misalignments? Is it possible that a 25fps file, with fewer frames for progressive scan combination, with fewer misalignments, then has less degradation? Could that be why RussianCabbie found Turbine's "Rules of the Game" clearer than Universal's? (I don't know.)

pneumatic used TFM inverse telecine to progress the files for screenshots. As I understand it, TFM engages in field matching to recover the original progressive frames, in contrast to progressive scan simply combining two fields into one frame. Field matching frame recovery shows that the Universal files have more image data than the Turbine files.

So what if the lack of field matching frame recovery on our old blu-ray players is what tripped up Universal even as Turbine looked good?

Is it possible that in terms of blu-ray player playback, the Turbine files are better suited to progressive scan and upconverting than the Universal files?

There's no doubt that my previous process of converting the DVD files -- MakeMKV followed by Handbrake detelecining -- was producing fuzzier files at 640x480 that were inferior to pneumatic using MakeMKV and inverse telecine and outputting files at 720x540. And that certainly skewed my comparison.

But RussianCabbie also found the Turbine discs had a better image than Universal under his playback conditions. I have to wonder if PAL 25fps is just easier for our blu-ray players than NTSC 29.97fps.

However, my understanding of the difference between progressive scan and inverse telecine is very uncertain; I think it's that progressive scan combine field-frames while inverse telecine drops unnecessary fields and rebuilds progressive frames. That could be wrong.

768 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2023-04-30 13:00:26)

To add to this... I don't think it's just pneumatic's assement on image quality.   If you are able to load the images (right click), I think it's pretty clear that universal is better.  That said as I noted it seems as if the screen shots were vertically stretched for pal/turbine and I wonder if this makes them look inferior in screenshot format but when played on a tv player they get compressed back and maybe yield a better image.

If you stretch anything vertically it's going to appear less sharp and more blurred.

769 (edited by pneumatic 2023-04-30 15:52:42)

ireactions wrote:

Is it possible that in terms of blu-ray player playback, the Turbine files are better suited to progressive scan and upconverting than the Universal files?

Yes!   My Sony DVD player for instance, when playing a PAL 2:2 cadence DVD (pretty much all PAL DVDs) it inverse telecines (weaves) to 576p.   But with NTSC 3:2 cadence DVDs like Sliders it just deinterlaces using BWDIF style deinterlacing (weaving only static elements, but anything that moves drops to 240p).  So I think that could explain the difference you were seeing.

Also for NTSC DVD's there are ones that are authored as "soft telecine" where the video is stored as 24p on the disc and there are "repeat field" flags in the video stream telling the DVD player when to add fields to make a 3:2 pattern for 480i output.   On these discs my Sony DVD player appears to ignore the repeat flags and just outputs 24p.  But Sliders DVD uses "hard telecine" where it's stored as 30i on the disc with the 3:2 pattern baked in, and the only way to recover 24p is to use inverse telecine (eg. TFM) which my Sony DVD player doesn't appear to support, so it just deinterlaces every frame BWDIF style.

I'm having the Lensdump issue as well - seems to be a problem with their site.  Disabling my adblocker seemed to fix it but now it's playing up again.  The reason I use Lensdump is cause they don't compress the images.   I'd imagine they are aware of the issue and will fix it soon.

pneumatic wrote:
ireactions wrote:

Yes!   My Sony DVD player for instance, when playing a PAL 2:2 cadence DVD (pretty much all PAL DVDs) it inverse telecines (weaves) to 576p.   But with NTSC 3:2 cadence DVDs like Sliders it just deinterlaces using BWDIF style deinterlacing (weaving only static elements, but anything that moves drops to 240p).  So I think that could explain the difference you were seeing.

Thank GOD. pneumatic, I seriously thought I was going insane (well, more insane) and that I was dragging RussianCabbie down with me.

I'm currently recopying my Universal discs of Season 2 and 3 to my hard drive with MakeMKV. Might as well get the best versions on my media drive.

771 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2023-05-01 06:17:31)

@pneumatic -- right click the broken image and then click "Load image" on the browser menu.

Some comparisons on the Pilot episode between pneumatic's script outputting the file to 1080p with nnedi3 upscaling and pneumatic's 540p file upscaled to 1080p via Topaz AI (Artemis).

Then I tried some samples where I used Gaia to sharpen pneumatic's 1080p file (that's what Topaz says it's designed to do). Then I finally used Gaia to upscale pneumatic's 540p file to 1080p.

pneumatic TFM + TDecimate + QTGMC output to 1080p via nnedi3:
https://i.ibb.co/mNg1Qfv/01-Nnedi3.jpg

pneumatic TFM + TDecimate + QTGMC (540p) with Topaz AI Artemis upscaling to 1080p:
https://i.ibb.co/LxCc5dS/01-Topaz-AI.jpg

pneumatic TFM + TDecimate + QTGMC + nnedi3 (1080p) with Topaz AI Gaia sharpening (1080p):
https://i.ibb.co/8cLz3DR/01-Nnedi3-Gaia-Sharpened.jpg

pneumatic TFM + TDecimate + QTGMC + nnedi3 (540p) with Topaz AI Gaia upscaling (1080p):
https://i.ibb.co/Zfj39fp/01-Gaia-Upscaled.jpg

pneumatic TFM + TDecimate + QTGMC output to 1080p via nnedi3:
https://i.ibb.co/2npLnBb/02-Nnedi3.jpg

pneumatic TFM + TDecimate + QTGMC (540p) with Topaz AI Artemis upscaling to 1080p:
https://i.ibb.co/72vF3r7/02-Topaz-AI.jpg

pneumatic TFM + TDecimate + QTGMC + nnedi3 (1080p) with Topaz AI Gaia sharpening (1080p):
https://i.ibb.co/t3Pndvc/02-Nnedi3-Gaia-Sharpened.jpg

pneumatic TFM + TDecimate + QTGMC + nnedi3 (540p) with Topaz AI Gaia upscaling (1080p):
https://i.ibb.co/bRPq5WS/03-Gaia-Upscaled.jpg

nnedi3 has a certain roughness that, I find, looks good at living room distance and the roughness has indicators of detail even if those details aren't fully HD rendered.

Topaz AI Artemis upscaling is smoother and more refined, but it has a certain computer generated look because it is computer generated.

Topaz AI Gaia for sharpening up the nnedi3 upscale is, I feel, just increasing the nnedi3 roughness with no real benefit.

Topaz AI Gaia for upscaling the 540p pneumatic file is, I find, just bringing us back to the nnedi3 roughness while using far more processing power than nnedi3 demands.

Personally... I'm very happy with pneumatic's 1080p nnedi3 file.

773 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2023-05-01 18:43:46)

Looking at those shots, the best two shots

pneumatic TFM + TDecimate + QTGMC output to 1080p via nnedi3

pneumatic TFM + TDecimate + QTGMC (540p) with Topaz AI Artemis upscaling to 1080p.

This one is somewhat interesting, but I don't have a definitive conclusion:
pneumatic TFM + TDecimate + QTGMC + nnedi3 (540p) with Topaz AI Gaia upscaling (1080p).

It gives it an interesting, almost intriguing texture but I'm not sure if it'd come across as additive or distracting in video form?  I am kinda surprised you don't maybe enjoy it more because it does feel like there's a grain / exposure to it.

The sharpened one is bad compared to the others.

What's interesting is how much each version "colors" the content in terms of I feel like it would have a real impact on the viewing experience and the vibe.   This is probably why hollywood has people who pay so much attention to a film's "finish" in the post production process.  It almost frames the story, or serves as a reference to the viewer on the voice of the storyteller.

Gun to my head, you're showing the pilot at a fan convention, I think I'd show pneumatic TFM + TDecimate + QTGMC (540p) with Topaz AI Artemis upscaling to 1080p is the winner.  A bit cleaner, a bit more modern.  But pneumatic TFM + TDecimate + QTGMC output to 1080p via nnedi3 is more film like and has better color, so I can see someone electing for that.

I guess I have to run the full Topaz Artemis job now for the eventual fan convention where I will supply the digital files for the screening but pneumatic will introduce it.

I like grain if it's part of the texture of the film image or if it's filling in for detail in a video that's lacking in definition. But I think grain can easily become a needless distraction. The TV show CHUCK is horrifically grainy to the point where it looks like static. The 4K77 fan reconstruction of a STAR WARS theatrical print is so obnoxiously grainy that I had to run it through Topaz AI to tone it down to enjoy it. And the grain in the Gaia upscales is just ugly and oversharpened.

I have run pneumatic's script on 1.02 - 1.09 to output 1080p files with bilinear, with nnedi3. After painstaking analysis, careful review, a 12 point system of screenshot comparison and a live viewing on four different TVs, I have come to the conclusion that I have no idea what difference choosing either scaler would actually make.

These are blurry videotape files. There comes a point when we might just conclude that no scaler is going to turn these analog recordings into the crisp renderings we want. We have to settle for below average files that at least have been shorn of those jagged edges and flashing horizontal lines.

Until pneumatic comes up with a new script or until we reshoot all the episodes with stand-ins and deepfake the actors' faces onto our photo doubles, we've probably come as far as we can. nnedi3 was the most powerful scaler pneumatic encouraged me to have my gaming laptop use, so I'll accept that this is what we've got. The Pneumatic NNEDI3 Edition.

776 (edited by pneumatic 2023-05-01 21:59:04)

Very interesting results with Topaz, thanks for sharing that. 

What it does to facial texture and grain is quite remarkable.  The Artemis one in particular looks the most impressive to me in terms of trying to reconstruct a HD image.

Subjectively I'm not sure if I would use it on a first playthrough.  Probably on my second playthrough I'd use it.  Kind of like completing a game before trying out mods.

It's weird because sometimes I prefer HD remasters, but not all the time.  I've got the Lois and Clark HD remaster and I don't like it.  The new tonemapping & colours just doesn't feel right to me.   So I bought the DVDs which are low res, have analogue artefacts like dot crawl, but I seem to prefer the colours and lighting.   The HD remaster feels a bit sterile and cold.  The night scenes have a lot more shadow detail which takes away the mystery a bit.   On the other hand I seem to like the Macgyver HD remaster.   Maybe cause it's shot more outdoors?   Something about the indoor shots feel more like they're on a set.

There's certainly a cooler, bluer look to the LOIS AND CLARK HD rescan with a higher brightness level. And all the effects are just the videotape sequences that have been stretched, so any time there's any kind of video effect, it goes from HD to terrible looking SD. I only saw the first season, but it looks like they didn't even try to upscale the SD footage.

I thought the pneumatic Avisynth+ script had dealt with the jagged edges in this Pilot shot when reviewing a 540p version, but looking at it in 1080p output, the jagged edges are still there:

https://i.ibb.co/pP9GXxk/Sliders-101-1080-mp4-snapshot-00-05-02-048.jpg

How would pneumatic address it?

778 (edited by pneumatic 2023-05-02 03:07:00)

ireactions wrote:

I thought the pneumatic Avisynth+ script had dealt with the jagged edges in this Pilot shot when reviewing a 540p version, but looking at it in 1080p output, the jagged edges are still there:
How would pneumatic address it?

Just checked that scene on my end and it seems the culprit is QTGMC's sharpness=1.0, as setting it to 0.0 or commenting out QTGMC gets rid of the aliasing on the radiator grille.   

Usually radiator grilles cause aliasing due to the grille looking like combing artefacts to TFM, triggering deinterlacing and its associated aliasing on moving objects, but even at MI=40 it's still not getting detected as combed so it's not that.

Looks like QTGMC sharpening should be avoided then.  I do all my sharpening in MadVR so that's probably why I didn't notice it - sorry.

ireactions wrote:

There's certainly a cooler, bluer look to the LOIS AND CLARK HD rescan with a higher brightness level. And all the effects are just the videotape sequences that have been stretched, so any time there's any kind of video effect, it goes from HD to terrible looking SD. I only saw the first season, but it looks like they didn't even try to upscale the SD footage.

I know EXACTLY what you're talking about.  Funny thing, the special effects actually look BETTER on the DVD.   They are animated at a higher frame rate (30/60fps on many effects which gets bodged down to a stuttery 24fps for the HD version) and the colour of the effects is better matched to the scene they are superimposed onto.

Ah, thanks. I'm now letting RussianCabbie make remote use of my gaming laptop to upscale his pneumatic inverse telecined 540p Pilot to 1080p via Topaz Artemis. I myself will stick to the pneumatic nnedi3 edition.

The thing is: I remember at least Season 1 of LOIS AND CLARK on DVD perpetually having a mildly fuzzier video image whenever special effects were present. If Clark were using superspeed, firing heat vision or flying, the image would get a little softer. It's like the effects in Season 1 were being done on a different video editing suite from non-effects sequences. The drop in video quality for effects shots is in the original SD DVD release, and in the HD release, the small gap between effects and non-effects shots has become a massive gulf.

The S1 effects shots were actually so fuzzy that I'm not sure they can be upscaled fully. And I too would choose SD DVDs over the HD release for this show. Yes, SD isn't as sharp, but at least it's consistent instead of shifting from HD to SD every time Superman uses his superpowers.

I think the unwillingness to redo the effects shots is because the STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION HD blu-ray was a sales failure. It was a high budget remastering with rebuilt effects that came out just in time for streaming to wipe out the home video market. Paramount and CBS lost a ton of money. Since then, HD releases of SD shows have sought to cut costs by simply rescanning the original film but using the master tapes for any effects footage rather than recreate those effects.

BABYLON 5 had the same treatment as LOIS AND CLARK, but BABYLON 5's effects always looked like Playstation 2 graphics on original broadcast, and those untextured computer models actually upscale to 1080p pretty well.

STARGATE SG-1's non-digitally shot seasons were upscaled from SD to HD for HD home video release and... while it actually looks okay, it has an overly noise-reduced image that borders on blurry. The distributor called that a feature of their 'Super Clean Image' feature. And at least its effects and non-effects scenes have the same video quality throughout.

With the L&C Season 1 effects shots, I'm not sure any upscale was even attempted on those fuzzy videotape sequences. They may have been too poor to upscale.

I had a quick look just now at the HD version of Season 2 of LOIS AND CLARK and the Superman sequences look a bit better than in Season 1, still not full HD, but upscaled to HD approximations. It looks like the master tapes from Season 2 onward had the effects shots at a better SD video quality that could be raised to a better HD approximation. It matches closely enough for living room viewing, although it's certainly less-than-ideal.

Personally, I think it's best to be consistent and it's better to be SD throughout than an awkward blend of SD and HD. It's very jarring when HD footage gives way to SD effects. For an HD Season 1 of LOIS AND CLARK, I'd probably advise going the STARGATE SG-1 route of an SD upscale... albeit with nnedi3 rather than whatever they were using.

780 (edited by pneumatic 2023-05-02 19:01:52)

ireactions wrote:

I think the unwillingness to redo the effects shots is because the STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION HD blu-ray was a sales failure. It was a high budget remastering with rebuilt effects that came out just in time for streaming to wipe out the home video market. Paramount and CBS lost a ton of money.

I do like the BD of Next Gen, but I'm definitely keeping the DVD version as a reference of how the show originally looked - soft focus, dreamlike quality, yellowish skin tones, lo-fi audio etc.   It's a different experience.  The BD is of course objectively superior in all possible ways, but it's still a mod.  A great mod that I would enjoy on my second playthrough.