Re: American Politics: Discuss and Debate

Grizzlor wrote:

SQ21, everything you wrote is excellent and appropriate.  HOWEVER, you are asking the American public to delve into topics and connect dots and understand nuance?  Oh boy, that's going to be a big ask.  That goes back to perception, and Biden loses that battle every time.

See, I don't think the American people need to connect any dots or understand any nuance.  If anything, I'm counting on them being really dumb and not seeing through obvious pandering.  I need voters, who think of Biden as a guy with an open border who is bad with the economy, to be convinced by a couple of press events and some interviews that he's now tough on the border.  I need them to think he cares about the economy.  I need them to think that he cares about things here (drilling for American oil to avoid foreign debt, focusing on jobs here, etc).

And here's the thing.  He doesn't have to convince them that he's better than Trump at any of these things.  He doesn't have to convince them that he's better on the economy than Trump.  Or better at the border than Trump.  He just has to convince them that neither of those things is a f*%#ing dumpster fire.  Because, again, I don't think 80% of the people that vote for Trump *want* to vote for Trump.  They just don't want things to be terrible. 

And in their minds, Biden = open border and terrible economy.  If Biden can just convince them that Biden = less open border and pretty good economy, I think a lot of them will either stay home or vote for Biden.

The feebleness he can't help.  He's old and looks old.  But Biden has time to do some select things that I think can convince enough people that he's fine.  We don't need people to be enthusiastic about Biden.  We need them to look at 2025-2028 and think "four more years of this is fine."  Trump's only chance to win is if people think the country is crashing and burning, and people absolutely think that. 

Believe it or not, there are people that voted for Biden in 2020 that are switching to Trump.  I heard interviews with some of these people (and they are *not* MAGA), and they just believe that Biden doesn't care about the economy or the border.  They think he cares about woke (whatever that is) and transgender stuff.

So: 1) do something about the economy and 2) sell the crap out of whatever you're doing.  And sell it on right wing media.  Get the CEO of Exxon or whatever to talk about how much drilling the US is doing right now.  And get him on Hannity and Newsmax and local news in every swing state.  Get Kamala Harris to the border in front of brand new wall to talk about prosecuting criminals that cross the border, and get Fox and Newsmax and whoever to carry it live.

Biden and Harris don't need to be Jack Kennedy.  They just need to not be the literal devil to these people.

I saw something on CNN where they were interviewing this expert on Evangelicals.  They basically said that evangelicals are willing to trust Donald Trump like a scared village that hires a mercenary.  They know he's a bad guy, but they also know that if they give him a task, he'll do it.  The mercenary is being hired because they feel like the town is on fire.

If you convince them the town isn't on fire, I think they won't think they need the mercenary anymore.

I wish I had your guys' optimism.  SQ21 your proposal sounds like the opening plot for Bad News Bears in Breaking Training!

Biden's numbers are historically bad, nobody's ever been re-elected like this.  I'm not looking at current polls and jumping off a cliff.  My belief is they will get WORSE!  For awhile I figured Trump hate would keep him afloat.  The campaign will be ancient Biden, which people cannot conceive doing the job any longer, and Trump, showing signs of dementia and mostly screaming about rigged elections and how he's being railroaded in court.  Millions will turn off this election, for sure. 

Also, we're ignoring the potential 3rd party spoilers.  RFK Jr., who is popular with MAGA, maybe Joe Manchin, who knows. 

One bit of good news, Kevin McCarthy is retiring.

https://nypost.com/2023/12/06/news/form … d-of-2023/

Biden's numbers are bad because people think the economy sucks (when it actually doesn't) and they have a fondness for how their lives felt during Trump's presidency.  I'm not saying people aren't going to think that Biden is feeble or old.  I'm not saying people even have to like the guy.  They hate Trump about the same as they hate Biden.

Biden needs to a) do something that will convince working class people (white and non-white) that he's actively doing things to help them and b) convince people that the country isn't going in the wrong direction.  I don't think he even needs to convince people that it's going in the right direction.  Just that it isn't going in the wrong direction.

Because I really didn't think Trump's national numbers would go up.  I was obviously wrong about that.  But I still don't get the idea that non-MAGA Trump voters want to vote for him.  I think they see things going in the wrong direction under Biden and want a change.  If Biden can just convince them that things are fine, I think they'll either a) not vote or b) switch back to Biden.  Not because they like Biden but because they really don't like Trump.

Trump's numbers have barely moved.  Biden's have fallen off a cliff.  He's tried to assuage the public's economic fears.  But they stared higher gas prices, higher food, and everything else prices in the face for some time.  His student loan forgiveness, added to a series of those "COVID" checks have only exacerbated inflation.  He's been on a Bidenomics tour most of the year.  He's surrounded by woke idiots in the White House.  They've out there protesting his Israel policy, and writing anonymous letters to the media about how the President won't listen to THEM. 

Meanwhile the buffoons in the House GOP, who now have a 2 vote majority after McCarthy bailed, are moving forward on impeachment.  Given that the public has zero interest in that, and an utter waste of time, should buoy Joe some.

Grizzlor wrote:

Trump's numbers have barely moved.  Biden's have fallen off a cliff.  He's tried to assuage the public's economic fears.  But they stared higher gas prices, higher food, and everything else prices in the face for some time.

Well, you have to remember that the *vast* majority of the country doesn't follow specifics on anything.  When they're responding to polls between Biden and Trump, they're judging their memory of their time in Trump's term vs their assumption on what's happening with Biden.

In other words, Trump's numbers haven't moved because the memory of the Trump era is static.  I don't think the majority of poll takers are thinking about the trials against Trump because I don't think the majority of poll takers (on either side) are paying that much attention to pre-trial stuff.  The polls that looked so bad for Biden a few weeks ago acknowledged that the bottom falls out of Trump's support if he's convicted of any of the charges he's accused of. 

And let's not forget that Trump has been on the offensive for months, and Biden hasn't even started yet.  Trump is on the news every ten seconds, and whenever you see him, he's railing against Biden.  He's doing a rally or a town hall or whatever every week it seems.  It's like a football game in the first quarter.  "Wow, the Broncos have 92 yards and the Panthers have zero!"  Well, the Panthers haven't even had the ball yet.  Maybe the Panthers are going to get crushed, but it's a bad time to really think about it.

I assume when Biden, who should have way more money in his campaign war chest since Trump has to spend his on legal bills, starts running campaign ads every day, people will remember why they didn't vote for Trump in 2020.  When Trump can't spend all of his time doing rallies and town halls because he has to be in court, I assume people are going to stop thinking about Trump's version of reality and realize that gas prices are down, inflation is down, etc.

All that's not to say it's not bad news.  Biden should be crushing Trump.  He's insane and has been indicted on serious crimes across the spectrum (they're attacking him on his character in New York, his corruption in Georgia, his incompetence in Florida, and his megalomania in DC....amongst other factors).  But he's not.  Trump is winning.  And all I'm saying is that there's tons of things Biden can do if he wants to guarantee a win.  And I'm concerned he's not willing to do those things.

And I'm still somewhat confident Biden can win.  But I'd feel much better if he moved to the center.  Not because that's what's best for the country or what's best for the Democratic Party, but that's what he needs to do if he wants to be sur he's going to win.

House Republicans are moving forward with an impeachment of President Biden, no one knows for what yet of course they never have any proof of anything, but they're going to do it anyways because they know it feeds their base and the uninformed voter when it comes time for elections.

Oh and by the way we might shut down the government because they haven't bothered to pass an appropriations bill. But please let's get moving forward with the impeachment of a President who's literally done nothing wrong.

I am so sick to death of Republicans and people voting for Republicans.

Hunter was indicted on tax fraud as well, 9 counts.  Plus Ukraine aid seems unlikely to be passed, a huge win for Dictator Putin, and of course, Trump.

I don't care about Hunter Biden. Hunter Biden is not the President.

The Biden impeachment and the Hunter Biden indictments look like wins for Republicans....but are they?  Or do they undercut the arguments that Trump is making?

If Trump's two impeachments were just political witch hunts...what is this?
If Trump is "innocent" of the crimes he was charged with because the senate didn't convict...won't Biden be "innocent" too?
If Biden is weaponizing the department of justice to go after his political opponents, why is he going after his own son?

I think Grizzlor is right and the impeachment is probably good news for Biden as opposed to bad.  I think the Trump and Clinton impeachments actually improved the approval rating for the presidents involved, and I would expect this would also boost Biden's popularity, particularly if the "evidence" is as flimsy as it seems like it is.  I think Democrats that are disillusioned with Biden will come back into the fold, and I think, depending on how Biden handles it, might paint him as an underdog/fighter/resilient.  I don't know if any of those boosts would help him a year from now, but it wouldn't as we move into an electoral cycle.

And for non-MAGA voters, it's going to be really hard for Trump to spin that the DOJ is going after him at the same time that DOJ is going after the president's son.  Especially if both are convicted by the time the election happens (again, I'm doubtful that any of Trump's trials will be finished by the time the election happens....Trump is bad at pretty much everything but he's great at stalling legal troubles).

Because Trump is going to sell all his trials as witch hunts and MAGA will eat it up.  But will non-MAGA Trump and/or undecided voters be able to disconnect "Biden himself is trying to jail Trump" from "Biden is trying to jail his own son?"  I really don't know.  But it's much easier for Trump to make that argument if Hunter Biden isn't on trial.

And I don't know what Hunter Biden is accused of (like QuinnSlidr, I don't care), but if he's guilty, I hope the DOJ goes after him hard.  No sweetheart deal, no plea, a hard, contentious trial that the government tries to crush him in.  The worse things go for Hunter, the better I think things look for Joe (assuming, of course, Joe isn't dragged into any of it).

Impeachment is a joke, nobody even knows what it's for, I know I don't!  Hunter nobody cares about, for or against.  Trump's criminal trials only matter, as I said the other day, because if he's found guilty of felonies, and one were to give credence to polling, public support would flip pretty much on a dime.  The vast majority of undecided vote would be against Trump, and he'd likely be sunk.  The Georgia case, despite Fannie Willis getting one guilty plea after the other, sounds as though will not actually have Trump in a courtroom until after the election.  We all know the Florida based documents case is tried by Trump fan Judge Cannon, who may give a wink wink, and allow the case to fester and be delayed as well. 

That really puts it all on Jack Smith in the DC case, which I feel is the most pertinent anyway, since it accuses Trump (alone without co-conspirators on trial) of attempting a coup d'etat while sanctioning an insurrection.  In fact, Colorado is currently seeing that case wind through its courts, and would likely wind up in front of the Supreme Court.  Why?  It banned those who “engaged in insurrection” against the United States from holding any civil, military, or elected office without the approval of two-thirds of the House and Senate.  A CO district state judge already ruled that Trump did just that, which would be grounds under state law to BAR him from their ballot.  Measures are being considered in other states should Trump find his way to the general ballot. 

I hold firm that there is a strong possibility, as I said, that the % of people who supported Biden (or in reality voted against Trump) hasn't actually shifted.  His actions in January 2021 will be a central point of the 2024 campaign blitz against him, make no mistake.  DNC, liberal PACs, and Never Trump groups are all readying a massive campaign that will I think hit voters with a replay of the MAGA criminals, all overlaid with Trump voiceovers.  If that doesn't all work, it will be time to open the Einstein-Rosen-Podolsky Bridge....

2,231 (edited by QuinnSlidr 2023-12-08 18:09:42)

Grizzlor wrote:

Impeachment is a joke, nobody even knows what it's for, I know I don't!  Hunter nobody cares about, for or against.  Trump's criminal trials only matter, as I said the other day, because if he's found guilty of felonies, and one were to give credence to polling, public support would flip pretty much on a dime.  The vast majority of undecided vote would be against Trump, and he'd likely be sunk.  The Georgia case, despite Fannie Willis getting one guilty plea after the other, sounds as though will not actually have Trump in a courtroom until after the election.  We all know the Florida based documents case is tried by Trump fan Judge Cannon, who may give a wink wink, and allow the case to fester and be delayed as well. 

That really puts it all on Jack Smith in the DC case, which I feel is the most pertinent anyway, since it accuses Trump (alone without co-conspirators on trial) of attempting a coup d'etat while sanctioning an insurrection.  In fact, Colorado is currently seeing that case wind through its courts, and would likely wind up in front of the Supreme Court.  Why?  It banned those who “engaged in insurrection” against the United States from holding any civil, military, or elected office without the approval of two-thirds of the House and Senate.  A CO district state judge already ruled that Trump did just that, which would be grounds under state law to BAR him from their ballot.  Measures are being considered in other states should Trump find his way to the general ballot. 

I hold firm that there is a strong possibility, as I said, that the % of people who supported Biden (or in reality voted against Trump) hasn't actually shifted.  His actions in January 2021 will be a central point of the 2024 campaign blitz against him, make no mistake.  DNC, liberal PACs, and Never Trump groups are all readying a massive campaign that will I think hit voters with a replay of the MAGA criminals, all overlaid with Trump voiceovers.  If that doesn't all work, it will be time to open the Einstein-Rosen-Podolsky Bridge....

You're basically saying and repeating Trump's own words when he attacked impeachment: Impeachment is a joke.

Impeachment is not a joke.

Trump was impeached twice by the House - in a landmark testimony of our justice system in action.

And he deserved every single minute of it.

Dismissing impeachment as a joke just continues to cheapen its effects the more often it's repeated. And I don't think Trumps' behavior leading up to impeachment should be considered a joke at all.

But, Biden's impeachment is the one that's the joke. Especially when republicans are behind it and they have zero proof at all and have no clue what it's for yet either. I think they're making it up as they go along.

===================================

President Trump calls public impeachment testimony a 'joke'

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/trump- … e-n1081871

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump called the House impeachment inquiry a "joke" on Wednesday shortly after the first day of public testimony and said he still wanted to learn the identity of the whistleblower whose complaint sparked the investigation.

"I hear it's a joke. I haven't watched. I haven't watched for one minute because I've been with the president, which is much more important, as far as I am concerned," Trump said, speaking to reporters at the White House alongside Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan. "This is a sham, and it shouldn't be allowed."

"I want to find out who is the whistleblower, and because the whistleblower gave a lot of very incorrect information, including my call with the president of Ukraine, which was a perfect call and highly appropriate," Trump continued.

He also criticized Michael Atkinson, the intelligence community's inspector general, or IG, for his decision to report the whistleblower's complaint to Congress as credible. The New York Times reported on Tuesday that he had privately discussed firing Atkinson for sharing the information.

"I want to find out why the IG, why would he have presented that, when in fact, all he had to do is check the call itself and he would've seen it," Trump said.

Trump said he had heard that the public testimony from Deputy Assistant Secretary of State George Kent and the acting U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine, William Taylor, was "all third-hand information," echoing pushback from Hill Republicans.

Trump also said he could release the record of a previous call he had with Ukraine in the spring as early as Thursday. The call at the heart of the impeachment investigation occurred over the summer, on July 25.

The most recent episode of DOCTOR WHO has the Doctor confronting a psychic menace that has basically turned everyone on Earth into a 2023-era Republican.

QuinnSlidr wrote:

You're basically saying and repeating Trump's own words when he attacked impeachment: Impeachment is a joke.

Trump was impeached twice by the House - in a landmark testimony of our justice system in action.

Dismissing impeachment as a joke just continues to cheapen its effects the more often it's repeated. And I don't think Trumps' behavior leading up to impeachment should be considered a joke at all.

But, Biden's impeachment is the one that's the joke. Especially when republicans are behind it and they have zero proof at all and have no clue what it's for yet either. I think they're making it up as they go along.

Impeachment is 100% a joke.  It's been used for unwarranted political theater by Republicans.  Or when I agree, warranted against Trump, Republicans refused to remove him from office, again, making it a joke.  Impeachment has no teeth, and never will.  The requirement to convict is to a point where no party will ever vote to convict a member of their own party.  Trump has every reason to laugh about it, because the GOP are selfish cowards and he knows it.  The fact that Trump could still remain in a position of dominance in a major party, and remains ahead of the opposing one, proves it. 

https://abcnews4.com/news/local/haley-l … -wciv-2023

For the first time, Trump is ahead of Biden in the WSJ poll, by 4 points, with Biden approval 37/61, absolutely horrendous numbers.  Nikki Haley, unsurprisingly, would beat Joe senseless, 51-37, which I think everyone knows at this point would be the case.  Biden is done, cruising to a guaranteed defeat.  Honestly, I think Trump would still prevail if he were still in a jail cell 11 months from now.  I really do believe most Americans view Biden as senile.  Economic conditions are continually improving, his approval goes down.

2,234 (edited by QuinnSlidr 2023-12-11 05:13:49)

Grizzlor wrote:
QuinnSlidr wrote:

Impeachment is 100% a joke.  It's been used for unwarranted political theater by Republicans.  Or when I agree, warranted against Trump, Republicans refused to remove him from office, again, making it a joke.  Impeachment has no teeth, and never will.  The requirement to convict is to a point where no party will ever vote to convict a member of their own party.  Trump has every reason to laugh about it, because the GOP are selfish cowards and he knows it.  The fact that Trump could still remain in a position of dominance in a major party, and remains ahead of the opposing one, proves it. 

https://abcnews4.com/news/local/haley-l … -wciv-2023

For the first time, Trump is ahead of Biden in the WSJ poll, by 4 points, with Biden approval 37/61, absolutely horrendous numbers.  Nikki Haley, unsurprisingly, would beat Joe senseless, 51-37, which I think everyone knows at this point would be the case.  Biden is done, cruising to a guaranteed defeat.  Honestly, I think Trump would still prevail if he were still in a jail cell 11 months from now.  I really do believe most Americans view Biden as senile.  Economic conditions are continually improving, his approval goes down.

As is typical with most right wing propaganda, all the BS propaganda and lies above ignores several things:

1. Trumpers are less than 23% of the total electorate (not half of all voters as they like to claim),
2. The polling said exactly the same thing in 2020 (landslide victory for Trump),
3. Trump has to win over all independents as well as non-Trumper republicans (very unlikely).
4. The bottom 3 generations control all voting prowess in 2024 as the youngest and most progressive, liberal generation turns voting age. Locking out republicans and any hope of victory.
5. Polls don't win elections. Voters do.

But sure, you go screaming from the rooftops how Trump will win in 2024.

Nobody's buying your crap. It ain't over until the votes are counted - all mail-in and absentee votes too, by the way.

To me, the answer is somewhere in the middle.

1. There's no real sense in panicking right now.  The election is a long way away, and Biden hasn't really started campaigning.  He should have the most money to spend on campaigning (even if Trump gets more in his war chest, he'll have to spend a ton of it on legal bills), and there's no way the trials against Trump help him with any additional votes (the people that think it's a political witch hunt already support him).

2. Biden's approval rating is terrible.  It's not quite as bad as Trump's was during his presidency but it's really close.  And what's bad is that I'm not really sure what's leading to it.  The economy is doing better.  Inflation is down.  Jobs are up.  The stock market is up.  Biden overwhelmingly supported the more popular side in the Gaza violence.  What are folks mad about?  Well...it may just be that their opinions on Biden are baked in.  Even if the economy is doing better, people think he's bad at it.  Unless the economy continues cruising, people might not care.  A recent poll said that something like 80% of the population says their personal finances are doing good but that the overall economy is bad/fair.  I don't know how you reconcile that if you're Biden unless he can do something to bring all prices down to pre-2020 levels.

3. So where does that leave us?  If Biden's accomplishments don't matter to the majority of Americans, then we're going into 2024 with a deeply unpopular incumbent vs a potential felon.  It's such a disaster for both parties.

4. I still think there's things Biden can do.  I think he needs to move to the right on immigration / the border.  He just needs to.  Not forever and obviously nothing like Trump-era border policy.  But he's getting slammed there, and if you listen to complaints about Biden, it's all about the border.  He has to do something there.  And again, I'd have Kamala Harris do the work there.  This is an area where she can look strong and tough, and they *desperately* need people to like her.  You can't have an unpopular president who is very old and also a very unpopular vice president.  If people trusted or liked Kamala Harris more, I think Biden's age would be much less of an issue.

5. And the campaign needs to do much better to get the word out.  If there's a new bridge anywhere in the country, it needs to have a Biden campaign flag showing that Biden got that done.  If there's new cheap high speed internet available in a rural area, Biden's name needs to be everywhere.  The Infrastructure bill is a huge accomplishment that is helping people, and people need to know it.  And Biden surrogates need to be on television every day telling voters about how strong the economy is, how much domestic oil drilling is happening, whatever Biden is doing at the border, and anything he's doing to help working class people.  He needs Spanish-language media all over the place.  He needs popular surrogates that can convince his base and independents that he's making the country better.  And he generally just need people to feel better about the direction of the country.

Biden should win.  He should win easily.  But for whatever reason, Biden is very unpopular.  He's even unpopular with people who voted for him three years ago.  And whether or not you believe in polls, that has to change.  And it has to change quickly.

QuinnSlidr wrote:

As is typical with most right wing propaganda, all the BS propaganda and lies above ignores several things:

1. Trumpers are less than 23% of the total electorate (not half of all voters as they like to claim),
2. The polling said exactly the same thing in 2020 (landslide victory for Trump),
3. Trump has to win over all independents as well as non-Trumper republicans (very unlikely).
4. The bottom 3 generations control all voting prowess in 2024 as the youngest and most progressive, liberal generation turns voting age. Locking out republicans and any hope of victory.

Nobody's buying your crap. It ain't over until the votes are counted - all mail-in and absentee votes too, by the way.

Trumper!  I am the most anti-Trump member of this forum, and I believe ireactions would even vouch for that.  I am a REALIST, and you are either enjoying the magic mushrooms, or so diverged from reality it's time for a wake up call.  Do you think I WANT Trump to win????  Are you mad?  I'm freaking out, because he mostly likely WILL win.  Lies?  Ignore the polls to your demise, I sure as hell did in 2016.  Will never make that mistake again. 

Firstly, I'm not relying on one or two polls, it's EVERY poll, and Biden gets trounced by Republicans.  Yes, it's closer with Trump, but is still ahead in two-way, including in several battleground states.  And Biden's approval rating, which should never be overlooked, is terrible.  I truly am sick to my stomach.  All they had to do was get this stubborn President to step aside, let other candidates step up.  They would cruise over Trump, who remains hated passionately. 

Secondly, I wouldn't trust the "younger generation" as far as I could throw it.  They are not as "liberal" as you suggest for one, they are disconnected, self-adsorbed, and addicted to social media.  Their opinion on Biden is atrocious, fostered by this psychotic WOKE agenda that even I thought was just a fad or innocuous but could not be more wrong.  This garbage has eaten away at the progressive cause, and turned into a cesspool.  One that actually takes Trump side (out of cowardice) against Ukraine and for dictator.  One that takes the side of violent criminals, drug addicts, and thieves over 95% of us who know how to behave, and overlooks rioters and looters whenever they can.  They promote "equity" instead of equality, and "diversity" over merit.  They've pushed this out of control agenda, to the point where parents are furious and actually voted in GOP as a result.  Either by sexualizing GRAMMAR school education in suburbs, and overloading urban schools with migrants.  They've driven more away from Democrats than for. 

And maybe worst of all, they view everything as oppressor/oppressed, a tenet of Communism, that has a generation so deluded by this immoral group think that they have taken the sides of terrorist murders/rapists over a democratic society.  And poll after poll has the "young" showing terribly for Biden, and actually better for Trump, in critical battleground states.  They have no knowledge of history, and are brainwashed by apps which are infiltrated by Russian and Chinese algorithms.  Beyond that, while Biden continues to forgive student loans, his numbers are worse off.  Why?  Again, it's picking and choosing, and plenty of young folk who didn't go to college are pissed off by that.

You're free to call that "right wing propaganda," I call that a call for civility and voters preferring prosperity and order over chaos and anxiety.  Biden has been level headed and an ADULT on this stuff, and gets little credit for it thanks to an out of control Woke social media that has destroyed his entire agenda.  One last thing on the youth, I would remind you that the younger voter in Michigan or Arizona or Pennsylvania are NOT in lock step with those in California or New York.  They trend more middle of the road, and they are trending AWAY from Biden. 

Lastly, actually no, the polls did not call for a Trump landslide.  By this point in 2019, Joe Biden was polling AHEAD of Trump, and had been on a consistent basis for most of that year.  Thanks to Rep. James Clyburn, Biden was given a lifeline in a state's primary dominated by older, more rational voters, and thankfully knocked Bernie out of the lead, because he was going to lose to Trump without a doubt.  Suburban voters would NOT have supported a socialist. 

I will be the first to gladly celebrate being wrong on this matter, but I think I've had several more revolutions around the Sun, and have seen quite a lot of politics.  So rather than cast me aside as right wing, maybe you should stop, and actually THINK or seek out who's saying these things.  The youth vote failed to show up frequently.  The bigger concern is losing the WORKING CLASS vote, followed by the suburban mom vote.  You have several major Democratic Party loyalists sounding the alarm.  They know elections, they know when a candidate is toast.  Impeachment is a political tool, it's not a legal one.  Mark my words, if Trump escapes conviction, he will win.

SQ21, yes, on the surface, Biden has had a mountain of accomplishments, ones that any incumbent should be able to easily tout and do a victory lap with.  You say he hasn't "campaigned yet" but WILL he?  Seriously?  Can he?  These are legit concerns that a lot of Democratic analysts have.  Biden campaign whined about David Axelrod, Obama's main man, for begging him to step down.  Ax was right, I fear.  The man is 81 years old, and looks 91, I'm afraid to say.  Voters are seeing this, and are just simply dumbfounded how he's supposed to be capable of another term?  Perception is an incredibly strong thing.  The right track/wrong track numbers are horrendously bad for Biden.

Jack Kennedy famously appeared vibrant in the 1960 debate, while Nixon looked downtrodden, and that perception propelled JFK (Chicago shenanigans aside).  In truth, Kennedy WAS more vibrant, with this astounding vision for the future of all humanity, not just Americans.  That image combined with his words and later actions, transformed Kennedy into a mythic figure around the world, even before the right wing shot him up in Dallas.  Trump has a monstrous image, in which he literally says he'll be DICTATOR on day one, and exact untold revenge on the institutions of government not seen since Julius Caesar.

Grizzlor wrote:

SQ21, yes, on the surface, Biden has had a mountain of accomplishments, ones that any incumbent should be able to easily tout and do a victory lap with.  You say he hasn't "campaigned yet" but WILL he?  Seriously?  Can he?

I don't disagree here.  I think Biden's age and his mannerisms are a huge liability.  I think a debate between Biden and Trump could end up being a bloodbath.  Trump is straight crazy (and, honestly, showing as much mental decline as anyone) but he clearly acts like a much younger man in terms of stamina and energy.  But here's my reason for optimism:

1. Trump is a one-man show, but that's not how I expect the Biden campaign to work.  I think this will be much more of a team effort.  Biden will obviously have to do his part, but I would have to think we'd see a lot of the Obamas and Mayor Pete and Gretchen Whitmer and Raphael Warnock and Gavin Newsom and anyone else they can get.  I would think these surrogates would need to do a lot of heavy lifting and be strategically deployed to get the most impact.  And it doesn't have to just be politicians, either.  Or even Democrats.  I think Biden needs to get a team of celebrities and businessmen and activists and academics and everyday Joes that can speak to what a Biden administration has done and what it will do.

2. Biden might not want to debate, but does Trump?  Trump isn't even doing Republican debates.  He says he doesn't have to, but I don't think he wants to.  He's doing a ton of events, but they're all highly controlled.  What's he afraid of, Chris Christie?  He doesn't want to have to answer a question he doesn't want to answer.  So I'm not sure either candidate would want to debate.  No debate means no chance for a Biden gaffe.

I would love it if Obama or someone like him could step in and run.  I think Warnock would be a great candidate right now.  I think Whitmer could be really good right now.  But who else is there?  The Democrats have done a bad job of building up the next person so Biden is the guy.  And while I think Biden has a lot of things going against him, Trump has more things going against him.

And again, I don't even think Biden needs people to like him.  They just need to a) remember how much they hate Trump and b) realize how good things actually are right now.  If he can do those two things, I think people would be fine with four more years of Biden.  Not excited or motivated or joyous.  Fine.  And I think that's really the bar for keeping Trump out of the White House.

2,238 (edited by QuinnSlidr 2023-12-11 16:05:39)

Grizzlor wrote:
QuinnSlidr wrote:

Trumper!  I am the most anti-Trump member of this forum, and I believe ireactions would even vouch for that.  I am a REALIST, and you are either enjoying the magic mushrooms, or so diverged from reality it's time for a wake up call.  Do you think I WANT Trump to win????  Are you mad?  I'm freaking out, because he mostly likely WILL win.  Lies?  Ignore the polls to your demise, I sure as hell did in 2016.  Will never make that mistake again. 

Firstly, I'm not relying on one or two polls, it's EVERY poll, and Biden gets trounced by Republicans.  Yes, it's closer with Trump, but is still ahead in two-way, including in several battleground states.  And Biden's approval rating, which should never be overlooked, is terrible.  I truly am sick to my stomach.  All they had to do was get this stubborn President to step aside, let other candidates step up.  They would cruise over Trump, who remains hated passionately. 

Secondly, I wouldn't trust the "younger generation" as far as I could throw it.  They are not as "liberal" as you suggest for one, they are disconnected, self-adsorbed, and addicted to social media.  Their opinion on Biden is atrocious, fostered by this psychotic WOKE agenda that even I thought was just a fad or innocuous but could not be more wrong.  This garbage has eaten away at the progressive cause, and turned into a cesspool.  One that actually takes Trump side (out of cowardice) against Ukraine and for dictator.  One that takes the side of violent criminals, drug addicts, and thieves over 95% of us who know how to behave, and overlooks rioters and looters whenever they can.  They promote "equity" instead of equality, and "diversity" over merit.  They've pushed this out of control agenda, to the point where parents are furious and actually voted in GOP as a result.  Either by sexualizing GRAMMAR school education in suburbs, and overloading urban schools with migrants.  They've driven more away from Democrats than for. 

And maybe worst of all, they view everything as oppressor/oppressed, a tenet of Communism, that has a generation so deluded by this immoral group think that they have taken the sides of terrorist murders/rapists over a democratic society.  And poll after poll has the "young" showing terribly for Biden, and actually better for Trump, in critical battleground states.  They have no knowledge of history, and are brainwashed by apps which are infiltrated by Russian and Chinese algorithms.  Beyond that, while Biden continues to forgive student loans, his numbers are worse off.  Why?  Again, it's picking and choosing, and plenty of young folk who didn't go to college are pissed off by that.

You're free to call that "right wing propaganda," I call that a call for civility and voters preferring prosperity and order over chaos and anxiety.  Biden has been level headed and an ADULT on this stuff, and gets little credit for it thanks to an out of control Woke social media that has destroyed his entire agenda.  One last thing on the youth, I would remind you that the younger voter in Michigan or Arizona or Pennsylvania are NOT in lock step with those in California or New York.  They trend more middle of the road, and they are trending AWAY from Biden. 

Lastly, actually no, the polls did not call for a Trump landslide.  By this point in 2019, Joe Biden was polling AHEAD of Trump, and had been on a consistent basis for most of that year.  Thanks to Rep. James Clyburn, Biden was given a lifeline in a state's primary dominated by older, more rational voters, and thankfully knocked Bernie out of the lead, because he was going to lose to Trump without a doubt.  Suburban voters would NOT have supported a socialist. 

I will be the first to gladly celebrate being wrong on this matter, but I think I've had several more revolutions around the Sun, and have seen quite a lot of politics.  So rather than cast me aside as right wing, maybe you should stop, and actually THINK or seek out who's saying these things.  The youth vote failed to show up frequently.  The bigger concern is losing the WORKING CLASS vote, followed by the suburban mom vote.  You have several major Democratic Party loyalists sounding the alarm.  They know elections, they know when a candidate is toast.  Impeachment is a political tool, it's not a legal one.  Mark my words, if Trump escapes conviction, he will win.

SQ21, yes, on the surface, Biden has had a mountain of accomplishments, ones that any incumbent should be able to easily tout and do a victory lap with.  You say he hasn't "campaigned yet" but WILL he?  Seriously?  Can he?  These are legit concerns that a lot of Democratic analysts have.  Biden campaign whined about David Axelrod, Obama's main man, for begging him to step down.  Ax was right, I fear.  The man is 81 years old, and looks 91, I'm afraid to say.  Voters are seeing this, and are just simply dumbfounded how he's supposed to be capable of another term?  Perception is an incredibly strong thing.  The right track/wrong track numbers are horrendously bad for Biden.

Jack Kennedy famously appeared vibrant in the 1960 debate, while Nixon looked downtrodden, and that perception propelled JFK (Chicago shenanigans aside).  In truth, Kennedy WAS more vibrant, with this astounding vision for the future of all humanity, not just Americans.  That image combined with his words and later actions, transformed Kennedy into a mythic figure around the world, even before the right wing shot him up in Dallas.  Trump has a monstrous image, in which he literally says he'll be DICTATOR on day one, and exact untold revenge on the institutions of government not seen since Julius Caesar.

It's a good thing the older "generation" as you put it are on their way out, voting-wise, then! Since you have such disdain and hatred for younger folks (also a right winger thing).

Your response is all over the place and filled with emotional logical fallacies:

1. You say you're anti-Trump, but you scream about anti-wokeness like a Trumper. (which is an indication that you favor non-inclusivity, racial biases, and the old discriminatory thinking).
2. You literally throw it in our face like a Trumper that the polls favor Trump.
3. You throw it in our face like a Trumper that he will win if he escapes conviction.

Sorry. Not buying it. Excuse me for thinking that you're a Trumper when all signs in your post point to it. Even though the only thing about your post, the first line, says you're not.

If it is true that you're not a Trumper, I'm glad...but at the same time I am confused because your post is riddled with logical fallacies that say otherwise and point in the direction of many commonalities with Trumpers.

Grizzlor says I would vouch for him not being a Trumpist. Due to recent posts and events, I'll need to take a couple days' distance to think about it and get some second opinions from some friends.

I've spoken with some aerosol specialists and medical doctors about certain claims in this thread. The response has been less about facts and figures and studies, but more about what reflects medically-oriented thinking for patient health and what does not reflect medically-oriented thinking for patient health.

One claim in this thread was that healthy people under 30 can't get seriously ill from COVID or flu and don't need vaccinations. From a medical standpoint, this is false. A 'healthy' immune system of any age can be susceptible to infection from current strains of COVID and flu, and each infection comes with risk of high severity illness and potential complications: pneumonia, respiratory distress, organ failure, septic shock, blood clots, heart attacks, strokes, injury to the heart, brain, kidney and liver, and symptoms remaining well after the infection has passed. Pre-infection health in no way precludes severe COVID and flu illness and complications. No serious medical professional would rule out the possibility of serious illness from flu and COVID based on age and vaguely defined general health. COVID is particularly dangerous because the non-immunized immune system has often failed to recognize the virus to reliably mount a defense.

There was another claim: that updated vaccines should not be considered effective because they are rolled out too quickly to receive comprehensive clinical trials to determine how much protection they provide against current variants and therefore have no known efficacy. From a medical standpoint, this too is wrong. Certainly, current COVID-19 vaccines can only be produced fast enough to target the recent ancestry of current variants instead of the actual variants of today, and due to viral mutation, there is a lack of specific data as to cross-variant antibody application on current variants. But the protection of a vaccine is not reviewed solely in terms of population-wide percentage values of risk reduction. A vaccine is also reviewed in terms of the underlying mechanism of how the vaccine teaches the body to recognize and defend against infection.

COVID is a recurring global problem because the immune system often fails to recognize and respond. mRNA vaccination, while effective in teaching the immune system to develop antibodies, has seen diminished effect in memory cell responsiveness after six months. In addition, viral mutations mean that the immune system's ability to recognize new strains of COVID for a targeted response is shaky; new variants can evade natural viral recognition and waning memory cell responsivity.

An updated vaccine teaches the body to recognize the lineage of current variants and will raise viral recognition capacity. That capacity, due to the limits of lineage targeting, cannot completely prevent infection. However, the 2022 boosters and new formulations showed sufficient cross-application to broadly defend against severe illness, complications and prolonged symptoms. An immune system with renewed viral recognition is obviously better equipped than an immune system that lacks recognition towards current COVID lineage.

From a medical standpoint, a non-definitive level of protection is not the absence of protection, but rather protection that exists on a spectrum. From a medical standpoint, patients are encouraged to be inside that spectrum of protection rather than outside it.

A subsequent argument in this thread was that masks have no definitive percentage of protection due to inconsistent standards of study and testing, and therefore cannot be said to protect. Medically speaking, it is incorrect to dismiss masking based on a lack of definitive, quantifiable results from real-world trials; as with vaccines, the underlying mechanism of masks is just as important to review.

The reality is that KF94, KN95 and N95 masks will filter 90 to 98 percent of viral particulate in the air before it's inhaled. This estimated range of protection is variable, depending on the strain/variant, ventilation, individual susceptibility, and how well-sealed and fitted the mask is; there is no definitive answer as to how much it reduces the risk of infection; statistical studies have been as wide as 60 - 94 percent in risk reduction. But once again, non-definitive protection is not the absence of protection, but rather a spectrum of protection, a spectrum on which a person can improve their position via diligence in mask wearing and selecting masks with adequate certification

The overall medical opinion I've received is: spike protein recognition, lineage-based vaccination and electrostatic filtration are proven mechanisms from well-understood principles. This means that their protection is significant, but numerous variables prevent a definitive answer as to how much protection they provide in the year of our Lord 2023 against XBB1.5 and future variants.

Variability in human behaviour, viral mutation, and environment will create variable results. But medically-informed reasoning does not equate variable results with no results, nor does it use that as a basis to ignore underlying mechanisms and principles.

Across my sampling of medical viewpoints, non-definitive levels of vaccine and mask protection means they offer a range of significant protection based on their mechanisms of protection. A range of protection should not be mistaken for no protection.

mRNA vaccines have been in use since 2013; the emergency rollout of COVID vaccines has been under constant study since 2021. mRNA vaccines, being central to a global pandemic, have been subject to heavy scrutiny, constant review and regular development. Generally, mRNA vaccines have been safe.

Individuals have had negative reactions to mRNA vaccines. A friend of mine with an autoimmune disorder can no longer get COVID shots due to sores and fever that lasted six weeks after a third dose. Her doctor has advised against further doses. RussianCabbie reported an adverse reaction that made further doses impossible. General safety has not been universal safety. My sampling of reasoned medical responses to that has not been to dismiss vaccination, but to encourage people with concerns and specific medical issues and bad experiences to consult their physician on their specific situation.

Also, this does not mean that every treatment should be accepted with total credulity. We should have skepticism towards treatments and preventatives there is an absence of quantifiable results or proven mechanisms of result.

For example, a number of doctors with whom I have spoken will often encourage patients with colds to improve their defenses with herbal supplements such as North American ginseng, elderberry, and echinacea. Their argument in favour of these herbs is that they are 'traditionally' used to treat respiratory infections.

By their own admission, from a medical standpoint: there are no scientific studies that have provided any explanation as to how these herbs stimulate antibody response, increase white blood cell production, reduce inflammation, or defend against viral infection beyond vaguely defined traditionalism. Actual clinical trials have shown weak and inconsistent results in whether or not these herbs offer any benefit. The clinical results could easily be reproduced with positive thinking and random chance. Herbal supplementation lacks results and offers no scientific rationale; vaccination and masks have actual results and a clear mechanism of effect.

In this thread, someone equated vaccines to seatbelts and remarked that seatbelts do not prevent all car accidents and that there is no consensus on how much it prevents death in car accidents. From an automotive safety standpoint, this lack of consensus would not be a rationale to skip installing seatbelts, brakes, and headlights. Non-definitive results are not an absence of results, nor do non-definitive results dismiss underlying mechanisms and principles.

Human behaviour and engineering errors may mean seatbelts, brakes, and headlights aren't always well-engineered or maintained, but the principles and mechanisms of seatbelts, brakes and headlights are scientifically sound. Variable results isn't reason to not have them or fail to use them but in fact evidence that they should be used widely, refined constantly and maintained efficiently.

Automotive safety and public health are serious subjects. These are not topics for off-the-cuff responses or flippant reactions. Public health should be handled with thought and care and when we speak on the subject, we should ensure that whatever we say encourages safety and risk reduction.

In conclusion, I am throwing out all the ginseng and echinacea and elderberry that my doctor had me buy when I had a really bad cold that turned into pneumonia. The treatment was not dubious herbal extracts, but antibiotics. I am done with herbal supplements unless actual evidence to their efficacy becomes available. There are no proven mechanisms of function or reproducible results from these plant extracts.

In contrast, vaccines and masks have clear mechanisms of function with reproducible results that, from a medical perspective, indicate a spectrum of protection. A sensible person operating on medical principles of health and safety seeks to position themselves within that spectrum of protection as opposed to outside of it.

QuinnSlidr wrote:

The bottom 3 generations control all voting prowess in 2024 as the youngest and most progressive, liberal generation turns voting age. Locking out republicans and any hope of victory.

People have been saying this for decades and it never works out.  The kids aren't as progressive as the polls indicate and they get less so when confronted with the real world.  That's what has always happened and what will always happen.  Remember, Boomers were the young radical generation back in the day.  "Don't trust anyone over 30" and all that.  Now they're the backbone of the GOP.

The Democrats already had the means to lock out republicans and any hope of victory, and they handed it away.  Ironically, they did it to court people like me (white, college educated, and focused on forward-facing issues like climate change).

After 2012, it looked like the Democrats would win every presidential election.  Democrats had a huge coalition of blue collar workers, people of color, women, and several others.  Republicans seemed like they had rich white men and nothing else.  The problem was that as Democrats tried to improve their coalition, they started alienating other sides.  Right or wrong, Democrats started focusing on issues that appealed to certain groups (LGBT issues, climate change, etc).

And it worked!  Between Trump turning off college educated white people and those people appreciating the forward-thinking of the Democratic Party, that segment of the Republican base started to flip.

But in exchange, Democrats lost the working class that used to be the backbone of their party.  Why should Joe Smith worry about climate change in 2050 when they're struggling today?  Why would he want their politicians to focus on LGBT bathroom issues and preferred pronouns when they couldn't put food on the table?  Why would they want to gear towards renewable energy when the coal plant in town was all that was keeping it alive?

(These are not my opinions, BTW.  Just an example).

Instead of being for unions and entitlements and working class wages, the perception of the party became pronouns and transgender bathrooms and climate change.  To some, Democrats cared more about illegal immigrants than Americans.  Republicans *talked* about the things they wanted to talk about.  The economy.  The border.  Sticking with fossil fuels that kept them paid and their towns alive.

Don't get me wrong.  Republican policies don't actually help blue collar workers.  But Republicans are at least saying the things that they want to hear.  Democrats are trying to straddle two different groups with wildly different agendas.  It's like with Israel and Palestine.  Most Americans support Israel.  Progressives support Palestine.  How can Biden support Israel (the largest part of the country) and support Palestine (people in his party)?  Essentially what Democrats have to do is pick one and hope the other still supports him.  He has decided to support Israel (keeping him strong with Independents and older people) and hope that young progressives that support Palestine stick with him because the alternative is worse.

That's why I think Biden needs to pivot to the other side.  A lot of the worker-focused items from the Inflation Reduction Act got removed in favor of climate-focused items.  The college-educated people can have those things to hang their hats on.  But now Biden needs to ignore them for a minute and focus on blue-collar workers.  If these people, especially in Pennsylvania and the Midwest, think that the Democrats are more about LGBT issues than the economy, Biden can lose.  If Biden can just remind them that Democratic policies are better for them than Republican rhetoric then the Democrats can build a coalition that Trump can't beat.

I was having dinner with my favourite actress, Ellie, and showed her Grizzlor's posts.

ireactions wrote:

You are either a liar or you are so disordered and disoriented that you can't keep track of your own writing from sentence to sentence. Personally, I think you're a liar and you have used up any benefit of the doubt.

You are an egotistical fool who thinks it's up to you to tell people they are obligated to maintain relationships with abusive family members because you just "can't wrap" your head around cutting ties with abusers.
https://sliders.tv/bboard/viewtopic.php … 921#p14921

You are an ignorant twit who accused me of "fake news" for mentioning that Allison Mack was being investigated for sex trafficking for her cult, and your accusation was based solely on the fact that Mack posed for a photo with you. (By the way, Mack recently finished her prison sentence after pleading guilty to all charges.)
https://sliders.tv/bboard/viewtopic.php?pid=6988#p6988

You are a hapless oaf who blames FOX executives for SLIDERS' mismanagement during a discussion of its seasons on the Sci-Fi Channel.
https://sliders.tv/bboard/viewtopic.php?pid=8381#p8381

Grizzlor wrote:

Now this section here, this is absolutely insane.  Bro, you really should seek help.  I don't know what is worse, that you spent what had to be substantial time to look this crap up, or worse, these thoughts/feelings continue to simmer in your mind to where you had to basically spew them out like this.  Good grief.

ELLIE: "Hahahahahahahah! It's funny because you've categorized and catalogued Grizzlor's posts over the years and took everything he said really personally and you're still mad about stuff he said years ago and he barely remembers anything he wrote."

Ib grimaces and glowers miserably at his shrimp dumplings.

Grizzlor wrote:

I said I FORGOT about what [Wil Wheaton] said, because I heard it once and didn't recall.  My GOD I forgot what I heard on a podcast, driving in my car, months and months ago.  I listen to podcasts all the time, and yeah details fade.  I suppose I should have been asking for your medical opinion on my memory recall.

ELLIE: "Hahaahahahahahahah! It's funny because you treat everything Grizzlor posts like he's under oath and in contempt of court and he treats everything he writes as casual and informal."

Ib cringes and looks bleakly at his boiled tripe.

Grizzlor wrote:

I don't take message boards THAT seriously, and my comments on film and television are meant to be flippant, considering this is a FAN BOARD.

ELLIE: "Hahahahahahahah! It's funny because you treat writing on social media like you're writing your graduate thesis and Grizzlor barely thinks about what he writes."

Ib sighs and looks glumly at his spicy squid.

Grizzlor wrote:

I don't know what to say, had no idea you were THIS pissed off.

Grizzlor wrote:

I don't read every post, I probably miss 75% of them.

ELLIE: "Hahahahahahahahah! It's funny because you were having an intense emotional reaction to everything Grizzlor ever wrote and he barely ever read or remembered anything you ever wrote."

IB: "I feel like you're laughing at me."

ELLIE: "Hahahahahahah! Yeah, but affectionately. I'm not mocking you. Much."

IB: "Well. I'll pay for dinner anyway."

I agree that the Democrats have gotten lost in the weeds with their focus on identity politics.  Many of the people who are sympathetic don't care that much.  They might agree with the Dems but not enough to make it part of their voting decision rule over things that affect them directly.

I think that's the problem, pilight.  Is it a focus or is it a perceived focus?  I don't think Biden ever talks about LGBT issues or transgender surgeries or critical race theory, does he?  Maybe he does, and it just isn't covered much.  I think Republicans campaign on this stuff more than Democrats, but I think the public perception is that the Democrats are much more into identity politics than they are (at least, policy-wise).

But that's something Biden's going to need to fight.

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

I think that's the problem, pilight.  Is it a focus or is it a perceived focus?  I don't think Biden ever talks about LGBT issues or transgender surgeries or critical race theory, does he?  Maybe he does, and it just isn't covered much.  I think Republicans campaign on this stuff more than Democrats, but I think the public perception is that the Democrats are much more into identity politics than they are (at least, policy-wise).

But that's something Biden's going to need to fight.

The problem with this is that it's a delicate balance between outright talking about these issues as something separate rather than addressing all American people regardless of gender, or other category of discrimination.

Biden talks to everyone. Not just red states, blue states, or men or women only. Unlike Trump (Hitler), who withheld federal aid from California due to the wildfires simply because they were a blue state.

Biden continues to provide aid to red states anyway.

And that's huge considering his discriminatory predecessor.

2,246 (edited by QuinnSlidr 2023-12-14 04:32:20)

There's a reason why republicans are also known as Russian propagandists, and why 99% of the time, they are lying propagandists.

https://i.postimg.cc/yxmybP58/President-Biden.png

Yep

https://i.postimg.cc/kGrg4rcf/Screenshot-at-Dec-14-02-24-04.png

A son speaks the truth:

Hunter Biden: "I'm here today to make sure the House committee's illegitimate investigations of my family do not proceed on distortions, manipulated evidence, & lies. I'm here today to acknowledge I have made mistakes in my life & wasted opportunities...for that I am responsible"

https://x.com/atrupar/status/1734949063374553433?s=20

Hunter Biden: "Let me state as clearly as I can: My father was not financially involved in my business ... during my battle with addiction, my parents were there for me. They literally saved my life ... to suggest that is grounds for an impeachment inquiry is beyond the absurd"

https://x.com/atrupar/status/1734949550509441160?s=20

Hunter Biden: "James Comer, Jim Jordan, Jason Smith, and their colleagues have distorted the facts ... there is no fairness or decency in what these Republicans are doing. They have lied over and over ... they have displayed naked photos of me during an Oversight hearing."

https://x.com/atrupar/status/1734950186789511370?s=20

2,249 (edited by QuinnSlidr 2023-12-14 10:55:26)

Remember when extremists excused the Trump nightmare with "but the economy"?

President Joseph R. Biden has blown past all of that malarkey.

Leading the country, making things better for all of us.

All. Riiiiiight!

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1735025615747866920

https://i.postimg.cc/ZnpDF7Q5/Screenshot-at-Dec-14-08-52-52.png

All this is true.  Unfortunately, voters aren't (yet) seeing it that way.  I know you don't like polls, but people still think the economy sucks.  I assume the economy will continue where it's at, but even if it does, are people's opinions on Biden re: the economy baked in?  Will they judge him based on how the economy was in 2024, or are they going to compare where they're at in 2024 against where they remember being in 2020?

https://www.npr.org/2023/12/09/12182915 … ation-jobs

I still think Biden has to do something about prices.  I don't have any idea what he could do that wouldn't steer right back into more inflation, but he either needs to make it happen or very publicly try to make it happen.  And quick.

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

All this is true.  Unfortunately, voters aren't (yet) seeing it that way.  I know you don't like polls, but people still think the economy sucks.  I assume the economy will continue where it's at, but even if it does, are people's opinions on Biden re: the economy baked in?  Will they judge him based on how the economy was in 2024, or are they going to compare where they're at in 2024 against where they remember being in 2020?

https://www.npr.org/2023/12/09/12182915 … ation-jobs

I still think Biden has to do something about prices.  I don't have any idea what he could do that wouldn't steer right back into more inflation, but he either needs to make it happen or very publicly try to make it happen.  And quick.

Biden can't control a worldwide problem of inflation.

No, but he's suffering with voters because of it.  And if he initiates fiscal policy that temporarily brings prices down but then they shoot back up, it isn't worth it.  Even if gas prices are down and GDP is up and the Dow Jones is up (which is all true), voters might judge Biden simply on the price of milk.  I'm just saying I don't know how Biden fights that unless he gets the price of milk down.

QuinnSlidr wrote to someone:

Your response is all over the place and filled with emotional logical fallacies:

1. You say you're anti-Trump, but you scream about anti-wokeness like a Trumper. (which is an indication that you favor non-inclusivity, racial biases, and the old discriminatory thinking).
2. You literally throw it in our face like a Trumper that the polls favor Trump.
3. You throw it in our face like a Trumper that he will win if he escapes conviction.

Sorry. Not buying it. Excuse me for thinking that you're a Trumper when all signs in your post point to it. Even though the only thing about your post, the first line, says you're not.

If it is true that you're not a Trumper, I'm glad...but at the same time I am confused because your post is riddled with logical fallacies that say otherwise and point in the direction of many commonalities with Trumpers.

One challenge of life in the twenty first century: while Trump voters regularly demonstrate erroneous logic and a derisive tone to their communication, someone can vote Democrat while having those human failings.

There are some people for whom the platform of text-based, online interaction like a message board will cause them to frequently display their cognitive biases, offer logical fallacies and present recall that is riddled with memory errors.

One example is confirmation bias is when a person searches for, favours, focuses on and remembers only the information that supports their prejudices or assumptions while ignoring any contradictory facts or memories. For example, someone who dislikes wearing masks will repeatedly claim that electrostatic mask tests have variable results in infection reduction but ignore the variables of whether or not the masks filtration levels were categorized or worn correctly. They will not address the underlying mechanics of electrostatic filters. They will highlight only that which confirms their bias.

A related behaviour to confirmation bias is cherry picking, when a person selects only the evidence that supports their preferences while dismissing the rest. For example, this person who wants to claim masks don't work will focus exclusively on low COVID infection rates in areas without mask mandates, and ignore undercounting and low testing. They are cherry picking, highlighting only that which supports them in not wanting to wear a mask.

A person like this will often display confabulation, a form of erroneous memory where they have fabricated, distorted, or misinterpreted their memories. This person will insist that they were respectful towards discussions of mask filtration and open to information about masks when they were in fact contemptuous and disdainful from the start. They recall only saying that which supports their self-image, assumptions and preferences; they deny or forget anything to the contrary.

Someone with these traits will consistently offer reasoning that operates on denying the antecedent, a logical fallacy where they oversimplify a situation into an if-then argument of two conditions, and falsely claim that invalidating one condition has voided the other. The person will declare that infections were high where masks were worn and that masks must not work, ignoring what masks were worn and how well they were worn.

Such a person will argue for a false dilemma, a logical fallacy where this person effectively allows only two options: that masks are either consistently effective or not effective at all, and since this person has cited some masks where the protection was variable due to human variables, this person now claims masks offer no real protection. This person will ignore the possibility that there may be options between the extremes of high protection and low protection such as fit and seal.

These errors of cognition, logic and memory are frequently associated with Trump voters. However, they are not exclusive to Trump voters. Every human being will at some point display cognitive biases and errors of logic and memory.

Someone could be against fascism and still be prone to those behaviours, especially in written communication in an online forum. Some people write in a highly reactive, reflexive manner with their writing coming from impulsive stream of consciousness, an approach that can often exacerbate their errors of reasoning and recall.

Someone who consistently communicates while demonstrating these behaviours will often provoke suspicion, frustration, and irritation. This will happen whether the person is conversing about TV or film or technology or health or politics.

This is because this person's communication style, due to bias and selective evidence and recollection, will often convey contemptuous hostility for other people's opinions (as they favour their favourable views and ignore the rest), disdainful dismissiveness for other people's experiences (as they acknowledge anecdotes they find reinforcing and discard all others), and deceptive intent towards other people's thinking (as their remarks are often contrary to facts or self-contradictory).

Such a person may be oblivious and unaware of all this. Or it could be intentional and uncaring. But even then, they might still vote Democrat.

These are human flaws, not liberal or conservative flaws, and we will all have them to varying degrees, and different situations will draw out these personal failings in different ways.

2,254 (edited by Slider_Quinn21 2023-12-15 09:42:11)

One of the things that I think Biden's going to really struggle with is that people don't seem to care about the truth of the matter on anything.  Trump was talking at a rally in Iowa the other day, and he talked about how gas was "$5, $6, $7, and even $8 a gallon" now.  But those people would've gotten into their cars after the rally and passed stations where gas is $2.84.  I looked it up myself....that's the price of gas (on average) in the town where Trump spoke.

So are those people so disconnected with reality that they think gas is $8 when it's $2.84?  Or are they thinking "well I'm fine but imagine those poor people who really are paying $8?"

How do you convince people that see something different from what everyone else sees?  Based on recent polling, this isn't an issue that's just MAGA being crazy.

ireactions wrote:

QuinnSlidr wrote to someone:

One challenge of life in the twenty first century: while Trump voters regularly demonstrate erroneous logic and a derisive tone to their communication, someone can vote Democrat while having those human failings.

There are some people for whom the platform of text-based, online interaction like a message board will cause them to frequently display their cognitive biases, offer logical fallacies and present recall that is riddled with memory errors.

One example is confirmation bias is when a person searches for, favours, focuses on and remembers only the information that supports their prejudices or assumptions while ignoring any contradictory facts or memories. For example, someone who dislikes wearing masks will repeatedly claim that electrostatic mask tests have variable results in infection reduction but ignore the variables of whether or not the masks filtration levels were categorized or worn correctly. They will not address the underlying mechanics of electrostatic filters. They will highlight only that which confirms their bias.

A related behaviour to confirmation bias is cherry picking, when a person selects only the evidence that supports their preferences while dismissing the rest. For example, this person who wants to claim masks don't work will focus exclusively on low COVID infection rates in areas without mask mandates, and ignore undercounting and low testing. They are cherry picking, highlighting only that which supports them in not wanting to wear a mask.

A person like this will often display confabulation, a form of erroneous memory where they have fabricated, distorted, or misinterpreted their memories. This person will insist that they were respectful towards discussions of mask filtration and open to information about masks when they were in fact contemptuous and disdainful from the start. They recall only saying that which supports their self-image, assumptions and preferences; they deny or forget anything to the contrary.

Someone with these traits will consistently offer reasoning that operates on denying the antecedent, a logical fallacy where they oversimplify a situation into an if-then argument of two conditions, and falsely claim that invalidating one condition has voided the other. The person will declare that infections were high where masks were worn and that masks must not work, ignoring what masks were worn and how well they were worn.

Such a person will argue for a false dilemma, a logical fallacy where this person effectively allows only two options: that masks are either consistently effective or not effective at all, and since this person has cited some masks where the protection was variable due to human variables, this person now claims masks offer no real protection. This person will ignore the possibility that there may be options between the extremes of high protection and low protection such as fit and seal.

These errors of cognition, logic and memory are frequently associated with Trump voters. However, they are not exclusive to Trump voters. Every human being will at some point display cognitive biases and errors of logic and memory.

Someone could be against fascism and still be prone to those behaviours, especially in written communication in an online forum. Some people write in a highly reactive, reflexive manner with their writing coming from impulsive stream of consciousness, an approach that can often exacerbate their errors of reasoning and recall.

Someone who consistently communicates while demonstrating these behaviours will often provoke suspicion, frustration, and irritation. This will happen whether the person is conversing about TV or film or technology or health or politics.

This is because this person's communication style, due to bias and selective evidence and recollection, will often convey contemptuous hostility for other people's opinions (as they favour their favourable views and ignore the rest), disdainful dismissiveness for other people's experiences (as they acknowledge anecdotes they find reinforcing and discard all others), and deceptive intent towards other people's thinking (as their remarks are often contrary to facts or self-contradictory).

Such a person may be oblivious and unaware of all this. Or it could be intentional and uncaring. But even then, they might still vote Democrat.

These are human flaws, not liberal or conservative flaws, and we will all have them to varying degrees, and different situations will draw out these personal failings in different ways.

Your analysis is spot on, as usual, ireactions. I love your writing, by the way. So detailed!

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

One of the things that I think Biden's going to really struggle with is that people don't seem to care about the truth of the matter on anything.  Trump was talking at a rally in Iowa the other day, and he talked about how gas was "$5, $6, $7, and even $8 a gallon" now.  But those people would've gotten into their cars after the rally and passed stations where gas is $2.84.  I looked it up myself....that's the price of gas (on average) in the town where Trump spoke.

So are those people so disconnected with reality that they think gas is $8 when it's $2.84?  Or are they thinking "well I'm fine but imagine those poor people who really are paying $8?"

How do you convince people that see something different from what everyone else sees?  Based on recent polling, this isn't an issue that's just MAGA being crazy.

I think this is blowing the MAGA movement out of proportion. And while I understand your perspective, I don't think there is cause for alarm. According to April, 2023 poll numbers from NBC, the MAGA movement is still incredibly unpopular, as is Donald Trump:

https://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/ … -rcna81200

As the poll states, just 12% of independents view the MAGA movement positively. Remember, Trump and MAGA need to win over all independents and non-Trump voters to even get close to defeating President Biden this election cycle.

https://i.postimg.cc/JhZ3RsHg/Screenshot-at-Dec-15-13-47-39.png

On the subject of lies -- I've read this article which argues that Trump supporters thrive on seeing Trump make false claims and thrill to repeating Trump's deceits. The priority is not truth, but argument; the goal is not factuality but in provoking fear and anger in centrists, left of center demographics, women who don't benefit from patriarchy, and people of colour.

https://www.salon.com/2023/12/15/know-i … -love-him/

In contrast, what we've seen in this thread is not, I've come to feel, lying. I know I called someone a liar because they delivered untruths, but with some distance and seeking some other second opinions, my view has changed. I think that this person's system of reasoning is troubled and they tend to arrive at erroneous conclusions and are unaware of their skewed approach to evaluating evidence.

In contrast, the Trumpist experiences exhilaration when they willfully and knowingly claim Trump isn't a threat, isn't targeting minorities and women and people of colour and isn't seeking to establish a lifetime presidency.

I was very angry at this person when I felt that they were lying. But upon seeing that they are mistaken (and arrogant, but mistaken rather than deceitful)... well, I am not immune to errors of cognition and logic and reasoning either. Mine just tend to be in a different area of life than long-form message board writing. Here is an example where I was tripped up by my biases and fallacies:
https://sliders.tv/bboard/viewtopic.php … 032#p15032

2,258 (edited by QuinnSlidr 2023-12-16 02:14:09)

Great news!!! Big MAGA figurehead goes down to the tune of $150 million dollars.

The dominoes continue to fall for the Jan. 6th insurrectionists and liars.

A very bad day for Rudy Giuliani is a very good day for America

A jury's decision that the former mayor should pay nearly $150 million in damages for defaming two election workers shows that the justice system can work.

https://www.msnbc.com/opinion/msnbc-opi … rcna129829

Near the end of the trial in a defamation case brought by two former election workers in Georgia, Rudy Giuliani decided — for perhaps the first time in his life — that it would be better to keep his mouth shut. Though he was expected to testify in his own defense, the former New York mayor thought better of it — or more likely, his lawyers convinced him that a cross-examination would be a disastrous coda to a case that may bankrupt him. Giuliani’s silence didn’t avoid disaster, however: On Friday, a jury ordered him to pay nearly $150 million in damages for defaming former election workers Wandrea “Shaye” Moss and Ruby Freeman after the 2020 election.

Earlier this week, Giuliani’s lawyer told the jury that if his client had to pay the $43 million Moss and Freeman sought, it “will be the end of Mr. Giuliani.” But bankruptcy would be a healthy dose of accountability for a powerful man who decided to lie and slander two ordinary people who were doing nothing more than the job they had been hired for, in service to the operation of our democracy. This is a very bad moment for Giuliani, but a good moment for America. The case also shows that our legal system — in particular, how it deals with instances when one person makes knowingly false accusations against another with grave consequences — sometimes works exactly as it’s supposed to and produces something like justice.

Giuliani had already lost the case brought by Moss and Freeman. The two were election workers in Atlanta when they found themselves at the center of conspiracy theories and deranged accusations about election fraud coming from Donald Trump and his allies, particularly Giuliani.

In August, a judge found Giuliani “civilly liable on plaintiffs’ defamation, intentional infliction of emotional distress, civil conspiracy, and punitive damage claims.” He admitted that he made false claims about Moss and Freeman, some of which were particularly lurid. At one point, having seen video in which one of the women passed the other a ginger mint while working on the sorting and tabulation of ballots, Giuliani claimed they were “passing around USB ports like they were vials of heroin or cocaine” as part of the fictional vote-stealing scheme.

This part of the trial is meant only to determine how much money Giuliani will have to pay the women. As Moss and Freeman explained in devastating testimony, Trump’s and Giuliani’s falsehoods turned both women’s lives upside down. They were deluged with death threats and racist harassment, to the point where they legitimately feared for their safety and that of their family. Even Moss’ son was overcome by the stress, she testified. This is precisely the kind of case defamation law is set up for: One person knowingly spreading falsehoods about another, with serious professional and personal consequences.

Giuliani is a monstrosity, but how much will he end up paying? Alex Jones, another deranged lunatic with a platform, still hasn't paid his victims.

And he never will.  These court cases take long enough for these guys to tie their finances into knots a Phrygian king would envy.

Yeah, I struggle to get excited about this stuff.  Alex Jones owes so much money to grieving families, but I don't know if he'll ever pay that.  And Jones still gets to live like a king.  I get that our system has to have a system of appeals, but I hate that the appeals system is just another stalling tactic.

I'm also getting very nervous that Trump isn't going to face any of these trials (I guess maybe New York) before the election.  Georgia already won't happen, the judge in the Florida case is probably more likely to throw the case out entirely than start it before the election, and I'm worried this immunity appeal is going to drag on forever.

I just want the guy to face the music.  If he's a convicted felon, there's a decent chance that even the Republicans in Congress impeach the guy even if he wins.  But if he wins and throws all the cases (but Georgia and New York) out, it will all have been for nothing.

Hospitals in the US are seeing a surge of flu, RSV and COVID. Should the surge continue, the CDC warns, hospitals at capacity may have to triage care.
https://www.salon.com/2023/12/16/hospit … ues-warns/

My province's chief medical officer, Dr. Kieran Moore, has historically been lax about masks and vaccines ever since he took the job. Even he woke up from his nap and sounded the alarm this month that vaccine uptake was too low, that hospitals were filling up and nearing the limit of how many patients they could handle.

Someone in this thread has made a number of false statements, hopefully not out of malice, but certainly because they have a poor understanding of how to weigh scientific evidence in seeming conflict, and also a poor grasp of how to review scientific studies to form conclusions. I mean no insult by that (this time), but medical falsehoods must be definitively confronted.

They have claimed that anyone under 30 who is 'healthy' is in no danger from flu or COVID or serious illness or complications and gain no protection from updated COVID vaccines. This is false; it is an erroneous generalization based on cherry picking data and a severely faulty understanding of the human immune system and virology.

Hospitalizations in my province are surging due to low vaccine uptake. The mutated COVID-virus can go unrecognized by a even a 'healthy' immune system that lacks vaccination to identify the virus and can't mount an antibody defense. To claim otherwise is a dangerous fiction that will not be tolerated.

This person also claimed that masks offer little protection, citing mask studies where people didn't wear masks properly, claiming there is no evidence of what protection they offer. This is untrue; the mechanics of electrostatic filtration are a well-studied engineering principle; that evidence is not discountable. Particle physics dates back to the year 6 BC. Over two thousand years of study and 122 years of air conditioning development don't vanish because someone in a mask study didn't wear a mask.

This falsehood about masks stems from a misapprehension of the scientific method where this person has treated variable data as the absence of data when in fact, variable data would demand that variables be identified. This incorrect statement on masks must also not be repeated in any forum that values truth, facts and the safety of our fellow human beings.

The world can be confusing. Scientific information can be difficult for the average person to parse and review for credibility. However, there are basic principles that are helpful.

A genuinely scientific perspective does not dismiss evidence that is variable or inconsistent in order to cut a shorter path to a conclusion; instead, the scientific method demands that variables be identified and inconsistencies be reconciled.

Discarding data simply because it is in conflict is ultimately an exercise in picking and choosing one's preferred facts, effectively confirmation bias as opposed to analysis.

A genuinely scientific perspective does not choose heroes and villains. Donald Trump has encouraged vaccination; Anthony Fauci claimed masks should be worn by medical professionals and not civilians. People with reputations of truth and honesty can make errors of judgement; people with reputations of deceit can sometimes say something factual.

The scientific method evaluates facts and does not base evaluations on fame or infamy. Nikola Tesla was romantically obsessed with a pigeon; Isaac Newton stuck needles into his eyes. Not all their ideas were ones to emulate. Follow information, not heroes.

The scientific method is not triggered by people flaunting pseudoscience whether alt-right paranoia or fanciful fairy tales. A rational mind can tell when a gain-of-function rant is a pompous attempt at triggering fear and not a lucid presentation of facts. A rational mind recognizes that if there's no given explanation for how a herbal treatment addresses an ailment, it's not much of a treatment.

And the medical perspective is, if practiced correctly, not about proving or disproving absolutes. It is about providing a path to risk reduction and self-protection. Even if we aren't doctors, our goal should be to steer people towards safety.

2,263 (edited by QuinnSlidr 2023-12-19 14:22:18)

Why the FORMER and EX-president is quoting Hitler in his speeches.

It should NEVER be okay to emulate a fascist killer. But, alas, it appeals to small-minded republicans who can't think of anything else. If Iowa polls are an accurate measure.

https://x.com/MaddowBlog/status/1737111 … 49122?s=20

https://i.postimg.cc/DZQDGfkB/Screenshot-at-Dec-19-12-16-56.png

Sadly, as noted, it's worked in the past, and it's working in other elections in other countries as we speak.

Those who are being scapegoated absolutely need to be supported and protected by our citizenry, police, and legislators.

Every good American understands we cannot go down the path of demonizing some among us if we are to continue as a democracy.

An EXCELLENT decision!!!! If I do say so myself...now let's have all the states do this...

Colorado Supreme Court rules Trump disqualified from holding presidency

https://www.msnbc.com/deadline-white-ho … rcna128710

A group of voters want Trump off the ballot, citing the Constitution's insurrectionist ban. Trump has vowed a swift appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court.

The Colorado Supreme Court on Tuesday said Donald Trump is disqualified from holding the office of the presidency under the U.S. Constitution.

The ruling is on hold for now pending potential U.S. Supreme Court review. Trump has vowed to "swiftly" appeal to the high court, which could reverse the ruling.

Because he's disqualified, the state Supreme Court said in its 4-3 decision spanning 133 pages, it would be a "wrongful act" to list Trump as a candidate on the presidential primary ballot. Therefore, the court said, he can’t be on the ballot or have write-in votes for him counted.

The U.S. Supreme Court could have the final word, whether in this Colorado case or another one, as challenges have been raised in states across the country against Trump's eligibility.

Section 3 of the 14th Amendment disqualifies from office those who take an oath to support the Constitution and then engage in insurrection. Colorado District Judge Sarah Wallace last month said Trump engaged in insurrection; however, she said Section 3 doesn't apply to presidents, so he can be on the ballot. Both sides challenged the ruling at the state's high court, arguing their positions to the state justices in a Dec. 6 hearing.

The state Supreme Court agreed with the Republican and unaffiliated voters who brought the case and disagreed with Trump, deciding, among other things, that Wallace was wrong to exclude presidents from Section 3 but that she wasn’t wrong in finding Trump engaged in insurrection.

The voters challenging Trump's eligibility said in a court filing last month that Colorado Secretary of State Jena Griswold needs to have all appeals, including U.S. Supreme Court appeals, resolved by Jan. 5, when ballots must be certified for the state's March 5 presidential primary election.

Mindful of that deadline, the Colorado Supreme Court on Tuesday said its ruling won’t go into effect until Jan. 4, pending potential U.S. Supreme Court review. However, if such review is sought before the pause expires, the court said, then the pause will remain in place and Trump will be included on the primary ballot until the state court hears from the U.S. Supreme Court.

All seven justices on the state Supreme Court are Democratic appointees.

Section 3 says:

No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice-President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.

On the application of Section 3 to Trump, the Colorado Supreme Court majority said he wants the court to say it "disqualifies every oath-breaking insurrectionist except the most powerful one and that it bars oath-breakers from virtually every office, both state and federal, except the highest one in the land." Both results, the majority wrote, "are inconsistent with the plain language and history of Section Three."

On the insurrection point, the majority wrote that Trump's "direct and express efforts, over several months, exhorting his supporters to march to the Capitol to prevent what he falsely characterized as an alleged fraud on the people of this country were indisputably overt and voluntary." The majority added that the evidence "amply showed" that Trump "undertook all these actions to aid and further a common unlawful purpose that he himself conceived and set in motion: prevent Congress from certifying the 2020 presidential election and stop the peaceful transfer of power."

Among the dissenters' complaints about the majority ruling is that Trump doesn't have an insurrection-related conviction and that, in the absence of that, a Section 3 challenge isn't properly brought under Colorado's election code.

I worry about the Colorado decision.  Obviously I would love a situation where Trump isn't allowed to run.  I do think he tried to overthrow the government and stay in power, but he doesn't have a conviction.  Barring a conviction, what's stopping red states from doing the same thing (under bogus circumstances) to a future Democratic candidate?  It's a slippery slope that I'm not entirely comfortable with.

It's the same as Trump going to jail for the Georgia case (if convicted) if he's re-elected.  Should a state be allowed to jail a sitting president?  If Alabama was able to convince a jury that Biden committed a crime there, should Biden have to spend time in jail?  There are reasons for some of these rules and regulations, and I'm worried what Republicans would do if we opened things up to get to Trump.

Again, I'm not saying it's not the right thing to do.  I'm just worried about what would happen if the other side tries the same stuff for false reasons.

Leaving aside that primaries ought to be purely internal party affairs and not funded, administrated, or adjudicated by state or local governments...I agree that a conviction should be required to revoke ballot status on those grounds.

As for a state jailing a sitting president, that's a thornier issue.  Being president doesn't grant immunity to state laws.  I don't think it will come to that, however.

Meanwhile, all the Trumpers are losing their - you know - on Twitter about this decision. Screaming "banana republic" and "civil war" even though 6 republicans brought the lawsuit in Colorado.

I love it.

lol lol lol lol lol

2,268 (edited by Slider_Quinn21 2023-12-20 19:37:06)

As for a state jailing a sitting president, that's a thornier issue.  Being president doesn't grant immunity to state laws.  I don't think it will come to that, however.

Yeah, I'm not sure either.  But I can see why it might make sense for a sitting president not to be imprisoned under state laws.  It would definitely be an interesting argument either way.

2,269 (edited by Grizzlor 2023-12-21 09:16:53)

The Supreme Court would be in a difficult spot on CO ruling.  Do they stick up for their precious "state's rights" by upholding the ruling, or do they interfere?  Personally, I don't see how you can "judge" if someone was an insurrection participant, without due process. 

Will they fast track Smith's challenge to Trump's challenge to whether he can stand trial for Jan 6th? 

Will Biden actually cut a deal on immigration, in order to fund Ukraine's war?  To me these are the key issues to be decided I presume next month.  The current news on the border is not good for the White House.  Video of thousands of migrants standing around in the wilderness like they're waiting to get into a Taylor Swift show, very bad.

As an aside, there is no more disgusting predicament as the battle, largely in the South for the rights of women to their own medical decisions.  The Texas case in particular.  It has many Democrats demanding the party shift to abortion as their lead campaign rhetoric. 

Polls, what do the polls say?  They remain terrible for the President/VP.  One sliver of "good" news is that a large percentage of folks who are down on them, and really want NEITHER party's front runners, are unlikely to vote.  I've see more and more mention of that, without surprise.  As with any other election, it's all about turnout.  Can you turnout enough people sympathetic to your side?

"State's Rights" is code for "we don't have the votes in Washington" no matter which party it comes from.  That's the only way things get left to the states.

Rudy Giuliani has filed for bankruptcy.  All the people he defamed are SOL.

Grizzlor wrote:

Will Biden actually cut a deal on immigration, in order to fund Ukraine's war?  To me these are the key issues to be decided I presume next month.  The current news on the border is not good for the White House.  Video of thousands of migrants standing around in the wilderness like they're waiting to get into a Taylor Swift show, very bad.

This seems like such an easy solution to me.  Cut the deal.  Have Biden be like "look, we need to help in Ukraine, and this is what it cost" - politicians make compromises all the time and have to explain it away to their consituents.

But this is win-win for Biden.  If they pass something on the border, even if it's a "win" for Republicans, then it knocks out a whole talking point for Republicans, especially if Biden gives them everything they want.  Republicans would have to knock their own legislation for being weak.

He has to do something at the border, even if it's not what his base wants.  This issue is 100% negative for him, and his base might get mad but won't abandon him over it.  This is another example of Democrats just not playing the game very well.  This is something that can very easily get Biden re-elected, especially if he spins it right.  He could even do the political trick of downplaying it to his base and celebrating it to the other side (like Republicans have done with the infrastructure bill).

pilight wrote:

Rudy Giuliani has filed for bankruptcy.  All the people he defamed are SOL.

Apparently these types of judgments aren't protected by bankruptcy.  So I think he still has to pay these out.  Of course, they're probably SOL either way because Alex Jones hasn't paid a penny to the people he defamed, and he's still living a lavish lifestyle.  Last I checked, the people are willing to take a fraction of what was awarded just so they get something.

The Republicans complain about how the courts are out to get them, but they seem to be insulating Rudy, Trump, and Jones.

A substantial chunk of the Democratic base wants something done about the border.  Greg Abbott calling the bluff of the "sanctuary" cities that are thousands of miles from the border with his busing has done a lot to turn the tide on the issue.

As for Giuliani, sure he'll still owe them their judgement but under bankruptcy he'll always be able to claim he doesn't have the money and won't face any further penalty for non-payment.

pilight wrote:

A substantial chunk of the Democratic base wants something done about the border.  Greg Abbott calling the bluff of the "sanctuary" cities that are thousands of miles from the border with his busing has done a lot to turn the tide on the issue.

As for Giuliani, sure he'll still owe them their judgement but under bankruptcy he'll always be able to claim he doesn't have the money and won't face any further penalty for non-payment.

Giuliani won't pay a dime, like Alex Jones or OJ Simpson.  Yes, Abbott had a stroke of genius tinged with cruelty, but it has worked.  Mayor Adams of New York has started cutting major services because the city is tapped out by housing migrants, who complain about the free hotels and food they've been given.  It's absolutely begun pissing the working class off, and when you see the videos from El Paso, again it's a major disaster for Biden. 

Ukraine wise, he's begun to try to take seized Russian assets but that will take forever, because the money is held in banks, many not on US soil.

pilight wrote:

Actually, no we don't. The entire border BS is just that - BS. Another BS lie the rethuglicans tell you to make you think they know what they're talking about. They feed on republican racism and bigotry to get votes for their cause.

Democrats, we simply ignore it because we know they're all lies.

Well, yeah, the border "problem" is one of our own creation.  Artificially low quotas on Mexican and Central American migrants, the unwarranted crackdown on migrant workers who have been traveling back forth since before the US even existed, and byzantine paperwork requirements for even the shortest term border crossing have conspired to create a logistical nightmare out of what used to be a sleepy border.

pilight wrote:

Well, yeah, the border "problem" is one of our own creation.  Artificially low quotas on Mexican and Central American migrants, the unwarranted crackdown on migrant workers who have been traveling back forth since before the US even existed, and byzantine paperwork requirements for even the shortest term border crossing have conspired to create a logistical nightmare out of what used to be a sleepy border.

lol lol lol lol lol lol

roll roll roll

Why I laugh at the republican lies:

Myth vs. Truth: Dissecting the Republican narrative about the border

https://connolly.house.gov/news/documen … entID=4691

Republicans are clamoring over themselves to blame President Joe Biden for any and every challenge facing America. Nowhere is that more apparent than on the issue of immigration and border security.

If you listen to my Republican colleagues, you’d believe Joe Biden single-handedly broke our immigration system and refuses to fix it. They keep this lie alive by perpetuating a series of myths about Democrats and the border.

It’s time to correct the record.

MYTH: The Biden administration has implemented an “open border” policy that has created chaos at our border with Mexico.

TRUTH: President Biden inherited an immigration system in tatters. The Trump administration cut off legal pathways to citizenship, leaving would-be migrants with fewer lawful methods of entering the country. They cut funding to Central American countries in 2019 as they splurged on an ineffective, costly wall.

It was the Trump administration that tightened sanctions on Cuba, Venezuela, and Nicaragua, exacerbating the macroeconomic crises that have led hundreds of thousands to flee and arrive at the southern border. When they pulled the rug out from various, essential assistance programs, they made the problem worse.
But our immigration system has been broken for many decades — long before Joe Biden or Donald Trump took the oath of office. Time and again, Democrats have proposed solutions to fix the immigration system in a reasonable, humane way. And time and again, Republicans have opposed these efforts at every turn.

One might recall that in 2013, House Republicans thwarted comprehensive immigration reform after an agreement was reached in the Senate. Many of those same House Republicans who prevented that legislation from passing are now intent on blaming irregular migration, an issue our country has dealt with for over a century, solely on the Biden administration.

There’s only one problem with their affinity for blaming Democrats — it doesn’t hold up to basic scrutiny. In fact, between December 2022 and January 2023, the Biden-Harris administration halved the number of encounters at the border and reduced the number of Cuban, Venezuelan, Nicaraguan, and Haitian migrants by 97 percent.

MYTH: The Biden administration has ignored the border and is refusing to commit proper resources to it.

TRUTH: The idea that Democrats have ignored the situation at the border and refused to commit resources to solving it is another outright lie. In reality, the Biden-Harris administration and congressional Democrats have surged record levels of funding to the border.

The FY23 government funding package that President Biden signed into law provided Border Patrol with $7.153 billion — a 17 percent increase from the year before. Additionally, the funding package provided $65 million for 300 new Border Patrol agents, $60 million for 125 new personnel at points of entry; and $230 million for technology like autonomous surveillance towers.

House Republicans voted against this historic funding.

MYTH: Biden’s “open border” policies allow undocumented immigrants to flood the country with deadly fentanyl.

TRUTH: Republicans continue to blame vulnerable migrants fleeing violence, hunger, and natural disasters for illicit drug smuggling, but facts are stubborn things. Over 90 percent of fentanyl, and over 80 percent of total illegal narcotics, arrive at legal points of entry—not between them—and are smuggled largely by Americans—not undocumented migrants. In fact, migrants accounted for less than 9 percent of fentanyl trafficking convictions in FY 21, compared to more than 86 percent for American citizens.

In December 2022, CBP seized 4,500 pounds of fentanyl, the largest amount ever recorded. Incredibly, just five of those 4,500 pounds were seized at the border by U.S. Border Patrol. Republicans are focused on 1 percent of the problem, 100 percent of the time.

MYTH: Biden’s “open border” policies have allowed criminals and terrorists to pour over the southern border unchecked, contributing to a spike in crime in America.

TRUTH: Study after study has shown that undocumented immigrants are less likely to commit crimes than U.S. citizens. U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s (ICE) Alternatives to Detention Program provides a strong example: The latest data from ICE released on Feb. 3, 2023, demonstrated 99.4 percent of immigrants monitored on ICE’s Alternatives to Detention Program attended their court hearings compared to the .6 percent which failed to attend their hearing.

Not all undocumented immigrants are tracked through this program, but immigrants, when paroled into the United States, overwhelmingly are lawful individuals that attend their court hearings. An American Immigration Council report found that over the past 11 years, an overwhelming 83 percent of immigrants attended their immigration court hearings, and those who failed to appear in court often did not receive notice or faced hardship in getting to court.

Republicans who assert the Biden administration is releasing countless dangerous migrants into the country are not only trafficking in xenophobic, anti-immigrant sentiment, but they are also peddling lies that are categorically false.

The situation at the border demands serious policy solutions that provide a pathway to citizenship for DACA recipients; address the root causes of migration like repression, political instability, violence, hunger, and lack of economic opportunity; and fix our own broken immigration system.

QuinnSlidr wrote:

Actually, no we don't. The entire border BS is just that - BS. Another BS lie the rethuglicans tell you to make you think they know what they're talking about. They feed on republican racism and bigotry to get votes for their cause.

Okay, but you get that it doesn't matter right now, right?  If Republicans are able to trick voters into thinking that vampires are a significant problem, Biden needs to do something to "fix" that problem too.  It might mean putting garlic on every intersection in the country or doing subsidies for the timber industry to lower the cost of wooden crosses, but he'd have to do something whether or not the problem is real.  Otherwise, he loses.

And what's crazy, at least to me, is that a fake problem is much easier to solve than a real problem.  And in Biden's two biggest problems with voters (the economy and the border), I think his solutions are more theatrical than anything.  On the border, as I've said a bunch of times, I think Vice President Harris is the key.  1) she's got a lower approval rating than Biden and needs a boost 2) she's a former prosecutor who thrives in that role.  So send her to the border and "take care of it"

Biden is legally required to build more border wall.  So make it an event.  Take credit for the wall you're building.  Take tons of videos and make Harris the star of those videos.  Then you can make campaign videos of actual border wall being made, with Harris looking prosecutorial, and intersperse it with videos of Trump saying he's going to build the wall and long stretches of unwalled border.  Take a loss and turn it into a win.

It's going to be theatrical and it isn't going to convince everyone, but there are absolutely voters (particularly in the southwest) that are only voting against Biden because they think the border is open.  And I don't think doing nothing or telling them that there isn't a problem is going to work.  I think they're actually going to have to do something.  And if you're going to beat Trump, I think theatricality is a way to work.  The people that have switched from Biden to Trump fall for it, and I think it would work to get them back.

As for the economy, the hard work is already done.  They just have to sell it.  People are now separating their personal financial situation from the situation of the economy as a whole.  They either need to tie that back ("If you're doing well, America is doing well") or with theatrics.  Trump has convinced people that gas is $5-$8 a gallon across the country.  As gas prices continue to fall, they need to celebrate that.  Do ads that show gas prices all over the country.  Do events at gas stations where gas is under $2 no matter where that happens.

Wherever he can, he needs to do what he can to bring prices down for staples.  Bread, eggs, milk, meat.  If he can also help American farmers, I think that would be good.

And, again, the key to all this is exposure and exposure to the right people.  He needs reliable surrogates that can go on Fox News (and even places like Newsmax) and talk about how border crossings are dropping, how much oil is being drilled for, how prices are dropping, how the stock market is doing, how the infrastructure plan is helping etc.  These need to be surrogates that non-MAGA conservatives are willing to listen to or it won't matter.

Running a typical campaign might work to get Biden re-elected.  But I think making things a bit more theatrical would a) reach voters b) make Biden and Harris more likeable and c) ensure re-election.  Even if it's not the most liberal path, it doesn't matter if it means Trump stays out of the White House.

QuinnSlidr wrote:
pilight wrote:

Lies?  The City of New York is hemorrhaging budget due to massive unplanned (and unwanted) costs of housing and feeding migrants, providing healthcare, and sending their children to schools.  That's coming from the mayor, a Democrat.  It's urban voters who are increasingly turned off by all this.  Again, I get NYC news programs, which are NOT conservative run, and people are pissed.  I would have agreed that the crisis was overblown by Republicans for many years, and of course Trump, acerbated the problem.  Biden has been in office for three years, he owns it now, you can't blame Trump forever.  The perception has been he's made it worse, and the busing (illegal?) from Texas to northern cities was a stroke of genius by those Governors.  It dropped the massive issues they've had with migrants on the doorstep of cities reeling from the pandemic, who do not have the resources to deal with them.