Re: American Politics: Discuss and Debate

Well, Biden feels calm and confident.
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2024 … t-campaign

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

So what I'd really like to see (if we get to keep having elections in America) is for it to be okay for a sitting president to get primaried.  I don't see why a sitting president shouldn't have to defend his/her record, and I don't see how it's democratic to just keep a guy because he won last time.  Someone can be the right person for the job one election cycle and not the right person the next cycle.  And I think it's okay to admit that someone might've been good for four years, but someone else could be better.

"But how does it help unite the party behind one guy if there's a challenge?"

I mean open primaries happen for at least one party every year, and in most cases, both parties every 8 years.  In other words, 75% of primaries are open primaries.  I don't think Biden was any more hurt by facing an open primary in 2020 than he is now - in fact, you could argue it's worse.

Now I think it would encourage primaries to be friendlier.  I don't think it would help if Newsom or Warnock was attacking Biden on his age for three months.  But I think Biden facing his critics and seeing what the voters think is a good thing.  And if Biden was the man for the job, he'd win an open primary.  And a battle-tested Biden might be better prepared to face Trump.

I don't think it'll happen anytime soon, but I'd like to see it. 

I don't know what would've helped derail Trump.  I don't know if Haley had gone negative on Trump earlier if it would've made a difference.  I honestly don't know if the indictments would've made a difference either.  I think Mitch McConnell might've been the only one that could've stopped Trump, and it sucks that he didn't do that.

But I still think Trump is a unique specimen that won't easily be reproduced.  And maybe we'll never see anything like it again in our lifetimes.

Trump is never a good thing. It's also not about keeping a guy because "he won last time". Racism, Hitler-enablement and being a serial rapist is never okay. Bragging that you can murder somebody in the middle of 5th Avenue because you think you're so popular that they'll never do anything to you in terms of consequences is never okay.

Voting against Trump is about keeping fascism and literal Hitler out of the White House. I love Biden. He's done his job successfully and has continued to be effective as an amazing President. And he has earned my vote. So has Adam Schiff. And voting for our democracy over fascism is worthwhile (which I hope the bottom 3 generations turning voting age this year are aware of).

I voted democrat on Tuesday straight down the ticket, by the way. For Biden, and Schiff.

QuinnSlidr wrote:

Trump is never a good thing. It's also not about keeping a guy because "he won last time". Racism, Hitler-enablement and being a serial rapist is never okay. Bragging that you can murder somebody in the middle of 5th Avenue because you think you're so popular that they'll never do anything to you in terms of consequences is never okay.

Voting against Trump is about keeping fascism and literal Hitler out of the White House. I love Biden. He's done his job successfully and has continued to be effective as an amazing President. And he has earned my vote. So has Adam Schiff. And voting for our democracy over fascism is worthwhile (which I hope the bottom 3 generations turning voting age this year are aware of).

I mean I totally agree with everything you said.  I just don't know why it's taboo to challenge a sitting president.  If he's the right guy for the moment still, the voters would support him.  If he's not, you get the strongest candidate.  Polls show that Biden is still the strongest to face Trump in November, but I just wonder if that would've been different if anyone had actually thrown their hat in the race.

It doesn't matter, though.  Biden is the guy.  I donated to his campaign yesterday.

Some people say that Biden's calm in the ATLANTIC interview is insane and ridiculous.

What do you say?

Interesting video on what may be skewing the polls from Farron Cousins:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4F5HTBcwPc

An amazing State of the Union Address from President Biden. Not a single flub, with plenty of attacks on rethuglicans and Trump (Hitler). Even the hecklers like MTG didn't cause any flubs.

Based on the cameras on MSNBC, nobody wanted to be a rethuglican in that room tonight.

Well done, Mr. President!!!

President Biden has raised the most money of any Presidential political candidate in history. Last night in the 9pm hour he raised more in that time frame than any political candidate in history.

Follow the money, not the polls.

QuinnSlidr wrote:

An amazing State of the Union Address from President Biden. Not a single flub, with plenty of attacks on rethuglicans and Trump (Hitler). Even the hecklers like MTG didn't cause any flubs.

Based on the cameras on MSNBC, nobody wanted to be a rethuglican in that room tonight.

Well done, Mr. President!!!

I have a stomach bug so I fell asleep about 30 minutes into the timeslot (so about 10 minutes into the speech) but he did great.  I would be surprised if his polling didn't go up as he's clearly not an old man.  One of my more-conservative friends was saying on social media that Biden was going to need two intermissions.  He's anti-Trump but also anti-Biden and if he ended up watching, I'm sure he was impressed.

Biden's polling was already a little better after Super Tuesday as people started realizing that the matchup is the matchup.  I feel a tiny bit better about November, but there's a long way to go.  Last night was a huge help.

I saw some clips.  Sleepy Joe sounded like he was ready to rumble.  Trump spent the week hanging with Viktor Orban.

It's crazy - since it didn't fit their narrative, the new narrative is that they drugged Joe up to get him to perform like that.  Which is just so funny because *everything* related to Trump is projection.  People have been accusing Trump of using drugs to give his speeches.  I'm not nearly educated enough on that to comment so I'm not comfortable saying one way or another, but accusing Biden of it and ignoring the same stuff out of Trump is just crazy.  I mean there was a confirmed drug-running operation in the Trump White House with uppers just to keep people going.  But Biden gives a fairly-long speech and now he's on drugs?

I didn't even think it was all that fiery.  He still seemed old to me - just slightly more energetic.  Maybe because he knew it was important?  If I was giving a big speech that would determine the next four years of my life, I'd probably give special attention to looking lively and ready.  Doesn't mean I'd be using drugs.

Some solid polling for Biden coming out of the weekend.  And Trump had a 29% approval rating, which was lower than Biden's.  Just a couple one-off polls but maybe the tide is starting to turn.  Polling hasn't had a great 2024, but I'd feel much better if it was leaning our way and not Trump's.

Biden is better when he yells.

I got a booster today for measles, mumps, rubella and varicella. Measles seems to be making a comeback.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/what-we-kn … d-in-2024/

ireactions wrote:

Biden is better when he yells.

Yeah I just think people just need to see that he's still working hard.  Which, of course, he is.

I got a booster today for measles, mumps, rubella and varicella. Measles seems to be making a comeback.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/what-we-kn … d-in-2024/

Yeah, this is so annoying.  And Trump said the other day that he'd defund schools that support vaccine mandates.  I really wish they'd make a big deal about that because I can't imagine independents want that.

In other news, the full transcript of Robert Hur's interview was released, and Hur's claims of Biden's poor memory have turned out to be lies.

Transcript:
https://d.newsweek.com/en/file/469686/j … ript-1.pdf

Article summarizing Robert Hur's lies:
https://www.vox.com/politics/2024/3/12/ … den-memory

Grizzlor wrote:

I saw some clips.  Sleepy Joe sounded like he was ready to rumble.  Trump spent the week hanging with Viktor Orban.

"Sleepy"? You do see why I think you're secretly a republican agent posing as a democrat?

Attacks on dems, attacks on Joe, insulting Joe, etc...

QuinnSlidr wrote:

"Sleepy"? You do see why I think you're secretly a republican agent posing as a democrat?

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure he was just making fun of Trump calling him that when he was anything but Sleepy.

I'm suspicious of the idea that Joe Biden should be above being questioned or criticized.

His support for Israel's continued military attacks on civilians and fueling this ongoing assault on an unarmed population is shocking. The Hamas attack on Israel was an abomination, but the Israeli military response has done little to circumvent Hamas while harming even more innocent lives. It's possible that Biden sees the arms sales and support as a means of maintaining some position of influence or negotiation to conclude an Israeli military response that he saw as inevitable, but Biden is unquestionably complicit in a moral horror subsequent to the original atrocity of the Hamas attack on Israel.

Then there's Biden dismissing Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman's murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi. Biden bumped fists and made friends with an unrepentant murderer. There may be practical and diplomatic reasons for doing that too; Biden may have determined that the US was in no position to find justice for Khashoggi and had economic and strategic advantages for declaring MSB immune as a head of state that would save more lives while pursuing justice for Khashoggi would have been unattainable and endangered more people. I'm not sure. But the idea that Biden can't be criticized is not something to which I would ever subscribe.

But Robert Hur's portrayal of Biden's memory was deceitful and flat out false.

Why did Robert Hur smear Biden in such an obvious and deceitful way? Slate takes the view that he wants Trump to promote him should Trump win the election, and should Trump lose the election, Hur would still have a well-paying legal career.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/202 … -lies.html

Well, this is where the Democrats need to get better at "playing the game."  They hired a partisan republican to write their report in an effort to look nonpartisan, but I don't know if the gain from that was worth it.  If the democrats had hired either an independent or a democrat, there might've been a little bit of backlash for the report being written by a democrat, but it would've been in mostly Fox News circles.  They did the right thing, but doing the right thing doesn't carry the same weight in politics that it used to.

At some point, Democrats need to pivot to doing the smart thing.  If they don't, we'll be living under fascism, and it won't matter if we did the right thing or the wrong thing.

Well, Democrats did not select Robert Hur as the special counsel. The US Attorney General selected Hur, and the US Attorney General is neither a Democratic nor Republican office of government. The attorney general is the people's lawyer, not the incumbent's lawyer. Except... they often have been the incumbent's lawyer, so unfortunately, there's a contrast between the way things should work which is often not the way they actually work.

Biden selected Merrick Garland as the attorney general. The attorney general is supposed to operate with full independence from the president. However, under Trump, AG William Barr was blatantly Trump's enabler and lawyer, manipulating every potential prosecution for Trump in Trump's favour. Biden selected Merrick Garland who had been Obama's pick for a Supreme Court justice, who had a reputation for being a strident person of integrity, honour and commitment to the rule of law. Garland vowed that he would be a lawful and non-partisan lawyer for the people.

In practice, Garland has been timid and hesitant. He did not pursue charges against Trump's obvious crimes and lower level prosecutors have been the ones to do the work. Garland's determination to seem 'non-partisan' has instead made him turn a blind eye to treason and left him so weak that Republicans can walk right over him, making him a Republican-enabler whom Biden now regrets appointing.

And in this case, Garland's commitment to being 'non-partisan' had him select a Trump appointee to seem 'impartial'. But Garland's efforts and non-partisan impartiality invariably have him weighting things in favour of corrupt Republicans. Hur, to what should have been no one's surprise, used investigating Biden as a chance to curry favour with Trump and smear the Democrat president.

Merrick Garland is unfortunately fearful and weak, and by all accounts, the Biden administration is frustrated and furious with him. They are outraged that he didn't prosecute Trump's obvious crimes; they are appalled that he had so little standard of evidence for Hur's assertions about Biden's memory.
https://www.politico.com/news/2024/02/0 … s-00140813

Hindsight is always 20/20. In the year 2021, Merrick Garland seemed like a great choice for the attorney general. And regardless of how inept and inactive he's been from 2021 - 2024, Democrats didn't select Robert Hur. Merrick Garland did. And yes, Democrats chose Garland -- but they had no idea how spineless he'd turn out to be.

That said, it's possible they should have, but I read a bit about Merrick Garland in 2021 and I thought he was a good hire. So I was wrong too.

There was some poetic justice for Garland put in the AG job after the Republicans unfairly kept him off the Supreme Court.  But I do think Garland has been a terrible hire.  History needed someone bold and fearless to prosecute Trump - not because he was a former president but because he's such a threat to democracy.  Instead, Garland took way too much time.  I know the wheels of justice turn slowly, and I know that this is a prosecution that the government can absolutely not fail.  But they took too much time and allowed for Trump to a) start his campaign so it looks like election interference to enough people and b) delay, delay, delay.

Maybe Garland did everything right.  Maybe history will still remember him as the guy who got Donald Trump.  I don't know.  But my feeling is that someone else would've been better for the job.

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:
QuinnSlidr wrote:

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure he was just making fun of Trump calling him that when he was anything but Sleepy.

Thanks, sarcasm is a lost art.

Garland was not the problem here.  How is it his fault if Trump and most of the GOP and media decide to be deceitful?  The whole point of Biden/Garland was to restore the guard rails.  As for Hur, look, his comments even at face value are basically worthless.  He found no evidence of wrongdoing, end stop, everything else he wrote should have been discarded.  The problem is the MEDIA.  They blew up what he said.  Garland released the full transcript which proved that Hur was "selective" and even then, all he was claiming was that Biden would present himself as a nice old dude.

Grizzlor wrote:

Garland was not the problem here.  How is it his fault if Trump and most of the GOP and media decide to be deceitful?

I would've hired a Democrat to do the special investigation.  There might've been half a day of complaints on Fox News about the choice in special investigator, but that's about it.  About as much coverage as there has been about Eileen Cannon essentially working for Trump.

Grizzlor, I don't mean this to be a rebuke, but when first reported, a handful of Robert Hur quotes had you declaring that Joe Biden should quit and give up, so clearly, Robert Hur's words instantly convinced you:

Grizzlor wrote:

It's over.  Biden has to step aside.  The special counsel describes him as effectively an old geezer who soon will forget his own name.  I do not know what other RED flag is needed at this point???

It's rather disingenous to denigrate others for having the precise reaction you yourself had to short extracts from Hur's report. You yourself declared that Hur's comments about Biden's memory were critical and relevant to the case.

Grizzlor wrote:

The special counsel had every "business" evaluating Biden's mental state.  It's what every prosecutor in the country does as part of any pre-trial preparation.

But even a cursory review of Hur's report shows they were neither critical nor relevant, and the transcript shows that Biden is clearly not having memory issues and Hur lied.

Again, this isn't a rebuke. Hur targeted you (and the general public) with his report and he is a highly calculating, manipulative personality who knows exactly how to provoke someone into thinking what he wants them to think. He tricked you. He fooled you with his faux-rationality and air of reason. He does that professionally and has made a lot of money and friends that way, so there's no shame in falling for it.

That's why he's a successful lawyer and why Trump appointed him as the US Attorney for Maryland. And, like all Trump appointees, he uses his power to attack his party's political enemies while elevating his political allies. That's the personality profile of the people Trump appoints. They're all Logan St. Clairs and Colonel Rickmans.

But to me, chastising you for taking extracts from the Hur report as fact would be like me saying Biden should have known better than to appoint Merrick Garland. Garland seemed like a great choice in 2021. Merrick Garland tricked me too. He fooled me with his grave demeanor and solemnity.

From my perspective, Merrick Garland is absolutely the problem from Hur to the Jack Smith case. Garland took two and a half years to appoint a special prosecutor to investigate Trump's crimes. A competent attorney general would have had Trump's cases in trial by 2022 at the latest. Garland was astonishingly slow in assigning Jack Smith to the job, and Judge Aileen Cannon is clearly determined to stall the case.

Garland also selected Robert Hur to investigate Biden despite Hur being an obvious partisan hack appointed by Trump himself; Garland made no effort to see Hur's report confined to the facts and avoid irrelevant editorializing.

District attorney Fani Willis will stay on the Trump case so long as she cuts all ties with Nathan Wade.
https://www.salon.com/2024/03/15/georgi … ultimatum/

I'd take that deal if I were her.

Was it wrong for Fani Willis to date Nathan Wade? Not legally, the state of Georgia allows lawyers on opposing sides of the same case to be married, so lawyers dating on the same side of the same case should also be fine. But it was foolish and unprofessional because the optics make the lawyers extremely vulnerable to nuisance motions like what Trump's lawyers have unleashed. Trump's lawyers have capably engineered a whole crisis scandal over this, and the simplest solution is to send Nathan Wade out of public law and back to the lucrative world of private legal practice.

Yeah between this and whatever happened in the New York case yesterday, I'm concerned that people aren't taking this seriously enough.  Trump may seem very very very dumb, but he's spent his entire life escaping the consequences of his actions.  Especially with almost four years to prepare, there's no reason for any of these cases to not be entirely buttoned up as much as possible.  I hope these are nitpicks that Trump is taking advantage of and not actual flaws in either of these cases.

But as has been said much on Twitter, we simply cannot rely on the law to do its job here.  The only way to defeat Trump is in November.

I don’t wade off into this often, but I had a thought exercise this morning just for fun.  In the 1984 election, Reagan had a classic retort to allegations he was too old.

https://youtu.be/0RtXmnUe9s0?si=_RKGsH2w-EuDpIud

So with the same criticism against Biden, could he find a Reagan moment?  I believe he could.  If someone says Biden is told old, he could reply, “And Trump isn’t old enough!  Grow up!”

I admire nothing about Reagan. Except his wit.

Ronald Reagan:

Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement.

Today on the NATO line, our military forces face east to prevent a possible invasion. On the other side of the line, the Soviet forces also face east to prevent their people from leaving.

No matter what time it is, wake me, even if it's in the middle of a Cabinet meeting.

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

Inflation is as violent as a mugger, as frightening as an armed robber and as deadly as a hit man.

It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?

Status quo, you know, is Latin for 'the mess we're in'.

How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.

To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last, but eat you he will.

Thomas Jefferson once said, 'We should never judge a president by his age, only by his works.' And ever since he told me that, I stopped worrying.

I have wondered at times what the Ten Commandments would have looked like if Moses had run them through the US Congress.

It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Recession is when a neighbor loses his job. Depression is when you lose yours.

I never drink coffee at lunch. I find it keeps me awake for the afternoon.

The best minds are not in government. If any were, business would steal them away.

The taxpayer - that's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.

Heroes may not be braver than anyone else. They're just braver five minutes longer.

One way to make sure crime doesn't pay would be to let the government run it.

And despite my opposition to Reagan, I would have loved for him to write an episode of SLIDERS.

So a couple things:

- Trump has basically said he can't afford to pay the settlement against him in New York.  He can't secure a bond, and he doesn't have the cash.  It'll be interesting to see what kind of leniency they give him and how he tries to spin it.  MAGA will eat up whatever he gives them, but I don't know how independents and non-MAGA Republicans will take it.  So much of his mystique is based on being a billionaire, and if he's saying he can't afford something, that could hurt him with the general electorate that doesn't know he's a lying conman.

- Trump continues to lead in a lot of the polling, but a ton of his support evaporates if he's convicted of a crime.  Whether a conviction can even happen in any of these cases before November is very much still in the air, but that's huge.  Even if something happens in the hush money case, I think it could be one of those situations where it could hurt him with average Americans who don't have the time or interest to follow this stuff day to day.  Right now, people might be siding with Trump based on "gut feeling" that things were good pre-Covid (so Trump) and bad post-Covid (so Biden).  But if that can be wrangled into "Trump is a criminal" that's pretty big. 

And while the NY case is fairly political, I don't know if people are going to be more forgiving when the details of the case come out. I could easily see people saying "yeah that was a bit of a political whack job, but he paid a porn star hush money?" could be just as bad for him.

2,549 (edited by Grizzlor 2024-03-18 16:35:00)

Reagan was an ACTOR!  Not a particularly good one, but he was known as the "Great Communicator" for a reason.  Joe Biden was a gaffe machine, but in the past he was at least better at impromptu stuff.  His team hides him from the press far too often, it's a terrible look.  Now ironically, it's Biden who is left standing from the old days of the anti-Communists.  A shocking consideration, compounded by the younger generations' feelings about Israel.  America remains supportive of Ukraine, but it's not like it was in the 1980s, when the very idea of Communism scared people to death.  And honestly, in retrospect, it probably should have.  Trump's vow to retract America from the world stage is appalling and would have Reagan vomiting.

Anecdotal, but I was hanging with a friend, whose brother is a real estate lawyer in New York, and absolutely despises Trump, though he is a Republican.  He said that what Trump was actually penalized for (property devaluation shenanigans) are done by most of the real estate corporations, accountants and lawyers throughout Manhattan.  Said he probably has a good case for appeal, because the statutes have rarely if ever been enforced to this degree.  Of course it's now comical that the Artist of the Deal cannot find any bonding company to back him for that gigantic amount, and may be unable to exact an appeal.  Oh well. 

The problem with being convicted in the "Stormy Daniels" case is that few if any voters are going to make a decision based on that.  They were fine with this disgusting Access Hollywood tape, so this really won't have any effect.  It may do the opposite, and galvanize his support.  The critical voters in up to 7 swing states are concerned with immigration, inflation, crime, and those effects on the economy, which Trump buries Biden in the polling.  The DC "January 6" case is probably the only one with enough teeth, but again, the polling is shocking in that most Americans believe Trump IS a criminal, and yet prefer his "policies" by large numbers to Biden's.  I really don't know what Biden can even do at this point?

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

Trump continues to lead in a lot of the polling, but a ton of his support evaporates if he's convicted of a crime.  Whether a conviction can even happen in any of these cases before November is very much still in the air, but that's huge.  Even if something happens in the hush money case, I think it could be one of those situations where it could hurt him with average Americans who don't have the time or interest to follow this stuff day to day.  Right now, people might be siding with Trump based on "gut feeling" that things were good pre-Covid (so Trump) and bad post-Covid (so Biden).  But if that can be wrangled into "Trump is a criminal" that's pretty big.

Given how Democrats and fundraising keep outperforming the polls, I think we can safely say the polls are off. But how off?

I cannot pretend to understand the average American voter beyond speculative armchair psychoanalysis. But wouldn't most Trump supporters be aware that Trump is a criminal and vote because they think his criminality is in their favour? Why would a conviction shake their conviction that another Trump presidency is to their benefit?

A former member of this community clearly supported Trump because Trump validated his belief that Caucasian men should always reign supreme. A criminal conviction isn't going to change his mind.

A number of Trump voters chose Trump as a protest vote. They voted Trump to express frustration at how Democrats had failed to alleviate their poverty. They voted Trump to sabotage a system of politics and government that had failed to be there for them. A Trump conviction isn't going to change their desperation and anger. A Biden presidency has not helped enough of them out of poverty or brought enough of them the health care they need.

What could anyone possibly say to them?

Barack Obama:

I understand why many Americans are down on government. The way the rules have been set up and abused in Congress make it easy for special interests to stop progress. Believe me, I know.

I understand why a white factory worker who’s seen his wages cut or his job shipped overseas might feel like the government no longer looks out for him, and why a Black mother might feel like it never looked out for her at all.

I understand why a new immigrant might look around this country and wonder whether there’s still a place for him here; why a young person might look at politics right now, the circus of it all, the meanness and the lies and crazy conspiracy theories and think, what’s the point?

Well, here’s the point:

... those who benefit from keeping things the way they are – they are counting on your cynicism.

They know they can’t win you over with their policies. So they’re hoping to make it as hard as possible for you to vote, and to convince you that your vote doesn’t matter.

That’s how they win.

That’s how they get to keep making decisions that affect your life, and the lives of the people you love. That’s how the economy will keep getting skewed to the wealthy and well-connected, how our health systems will let more people fall through the cracks. That’s how a democracy withers, until it’s no democracy at all.

We can’t let that happen. Do not let them take away your power.

Don’t let them take away your democracy.

Barack Obama:
Whatever our backgrounds, we’re all the children of Americans who fought the good fight.

Great grandparents working in firetraps and sweatshops without rights or representation. Farmers losing their dreams to dust. Irish and Italians and Asians and Latinos told to go back where they came from.

Jews and Catholics, Muslims and Sikhs, made to feel suspect for the way they worshipped. Black Americans chained and whipped and hanged. Spit on for trying to sit at lunch counters.

Beaten for trying to vote.

If anyone had a right to believe that this democracy did not work, and could not work, it was those Americans. Our ancestors.

They were on the receiving end of a democracy that had fallen short all their lives. They knew how far the daily reality of America strayed from the myth. And yet, instead of giving up, they joined together and said: "Somehow, some way, we are going to make this work. We are going to bring those words, in our founding documents, to life."

Barack Obama: Democracy was never meant to be transactional. "You give me your vote; I make everything better."

It requires an active and informed citizenry. So I am also asking you to believe in your own ability – to embrace your own responsibility as citizens – to make sure that the basic tenets of our democracy endure.

I cannot stress enough that the politics of ireactions and Barack Obama are not the consensus politics of Sliders.tv.

Grizzlor wrote:

Reagan was an ACTOR!  Not a particularly good one, but he was known as the "Great Communicator" for a reason.

Reagan was an excellent performer and all a great wit who could come up with hilarious turns of phrase and absurd observations and remarks off the cuff.

And as actors go, Reagan successfully convinced a generation of Americans that he was a warm, affable, earnest, loving friend to all Americans as opposed to a ruthless, racist plutocrat whose political career consisted of union busting, deregulation, hacking apart social safety nets, eviscerating student loans, and pushed Americans from needing one income to two to have a home and eventually led to a society where one could work full time and still not be able to pay for housing and food and health care.

But I'll never question Reagan's gift for rhetoric and extemporaneous speaking. Joe Biden, at least these days, often needs a speechwriter. For example, recently at the Gridiron dinner, he delivered some great (but scripted) zingers.

Joe Biden: It’s great to be here at the Gridiron dinner, though it’s six hours past my bedtime.

... it was tough to see Mitch McConnell announce he’s stepping down as GOP leader. I hate to see a friend give up in his prime.

I’ll keep my remarks just a few minutes less than my State of the Union. I crushed it. Granted, your expectations were so low, I just had to show up and remember who the president is.

Kamala and I and the members of the administration here tonight are proud — proud of our accomplishments on behalf of the American people: record job growth, wages rising, rigging the Super Bowl for Taylor Swift.

We know not everyone is feeling the progress we’re making. We’re committed to helping the little guy. Ron DeSantis, though, won’t take our calls.

Our big plan to cancel student debt doesn’t apply to everyone. Just yesterday, a defeated-looking man came up to me and said, “I’m being crushed by debt. I’m completely wiped out.” I said, “Sorry, Donald, I can’t help you.”

A strong union can make a corporation quiver, at least that’s what Jeff Bezos has been telling me at dinner.

I heard House Republicans were going to do a skit tonight, but they couldn’t get a speaker.

Republicans would rather fail at impeachment than succeed at anything else.

Of course, the big news this week is two candidates clinched their parties’ nomination for president. One candidate is too old and mentally unfit to be president. The other is me.

Look, I’m running against the same guy that I beat in 2020. But don’t tell him. He thinks he’s running against Barack Obama.

And another big difference between us: I know what I value most. I’m Jill Biden’s husband, and I know her name.

In the coming months, Kamala and I will be making the case how Americans are better off than four years ago, how we got so much through the pandemic, turned around the economy, reestablished America’s leadership in the world. All without encouraging the American people to inject bleach. All without destroying the economy, embarrassing us around the world, or — or itching for insurrection.

Look, I wish these were jokes, but they’re not.

As I said in my State of the Union Address, we live in an unprecedented moment in democracy, an unpre- — and an unprecedented moment for history. Democracy and freedom are literally under attack.

Grizzlor wrote:

The problem with being convicted in the "Stormy Daniels" case is that few if any voters are going to make a decision based on that.  They were fine with this disgusting Access Hollywood tape, so this really won't have any effect.  It may do the opposite, and galvanize his support.

I think you're conflating two ideas here, though.  Trump's criminal indictments galvanized his support because it rallied the MAGA base, and that base is now fairly reliable in voting in whatever election Trump is on the ballot for.  That's why he won so many primaries early.  Were non-MAGA people galvanized by the indictments?  Maybe?  But they also could've just been galvanized by the uptick in polling.  It's a perpetual motion machine - the indictments cause the polling to go up and the polling going up causes the polling to increase.

You have to remember that Fox News dominates the cable news ratings, but it's only a couple million people in the entire country.  The *vast* majority of people don't follow this stuff at all.  People aren't balancing Biden's age vs Trump's criminality because they probably aren't even thinking about it on a daily basis.  I'm assuming you'd be shocked at the number of people who don't have any idea what the Access Hollywood tape even is.  Who don't know who Stormy Daniels is.  Or even people who don't know that Trump has *been indicted*

And these are the people that are going to decide the election.  But the polling suggests that Trump getting convicted is a 10-point swing.  Maybe more.  Whichever poll you look at, it takes a Trump lead or a close race and turns it into a Biden win or a Biden landslide.

I think you're right that it would galvanize MAGA, but I'm not sure it does anything for him.  MAGA might be at peak galvanization.  Anyone plugged in enough to know that Trump is being indicted and Trumpy enough to think that the system is rigged against him is already voting for him.  I can't imagine people are going to think the conviction is political when they don't already think the indictment itself is/was political.

The people that know about Access Hollywood or whatever know that Trump is sexist (and potentially a rapist or whatever) and they've made their bed with it.  But what about the people that literally only know Trump as the president from 2016 to whatever and that's it?  People that didn't pay attention in 2016 and 2020 or now.  Polling suggests there are a ton of those people, and they're voting purely on vibes and memories.  But if, between then and now, they find out that Trump was convicted of a felony, polling suggests they switch their votes.  And the same lack of awareness that is hurting Biden now might hurt Trump later because they're not going to look into who Alvin Bragg is or the legality of the case or any sort of appeal.  They're just going to know that their choice is Joe Biden or a guy who's literally a convicted felon.

Maybe it's wishful thinking but it's showing in the polls.  People pick Trump unless he's convicted of a felony and then they pick Biden.  And I just don't think they're taking all the variables into it.  They might not even know (or care) that Trump is going to be on trial.  But for those people, the conviction matters.

It hasn't gotten a ton of coverage, but Biden's polls have been ticking up recently.  If you look at the Economist polling average, Biden has taken the lead (https://www.economist.com/interactive/u … iden-polls).  In the Real Clear Politics average, Trump is still up a couple points.

Meanwhile Biden is partnering with the Kennedy family to show that they're fully behind him (and not RFK Jr).  I maintain that any Democrat voting for RFK is doing it strictly on name alone, and if Biden can make it clear what RFK stands for, he'll lose most of his left-leaning support.  If everyone knew what RFK stood for, it would hurt Trump way more than it would hurt Biden I think.

The State of New York is preparing to seize Donald Trump's assets on Monday.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-legal- … 56935.html

There's something really funny about Trump losing a civil case where the state says that he doesn't have as much money as he says he does, he complains about how it's unfair and how much money he has, and then he doesn't have the money to pay the penalty.

I worry about Trump getting the money from a foreign power and owing them favors, but if he doesn't do that, I think this is going to really mess with his head.  I'm sure it will make him crazier and more dangerous, but we'll see if that affects his polling.

I do wonder this - Trump keeps talking about how someone can't be president without total immunity.  When the Supreme Court rules that total immunity is mularkey, how is Trump going to spin that?  The way he talks, there's no way he would want to be president without immunity.  We know he won't drop out, but his position has been so clear.

First Trump HAS a lot of money, it's just not cash.  Nobody has "cash" in that amount because it would be completely counterintuitive to do so.  With low interest rates, maintained at that level for years by Trump, holding cash was not a good investment.  He did lie of course about having it to the judge, because he's crippled with insecurity, and cannot tell the truth about his portfolio.  Anyway, his assets are real estate, and you can't just roll that over into cash overnight.  AG James will be going to the Judge for liens on various Trump assets.  Ironically, some of them are actually not going to fetch the state of NY very much.  Several are so heavily mortgaged, that Trump actually retains very little actual ownership. 

The immunity filing was comical.  Trump's lawyers quoted Justice Kavanaugh out of context, claiming he said in a law review once that the "President cannot function when under threat of indictment."  They missed the 2nd part where he also said, that such immunity would end once you leave office, i.e., you can be charged for things you did while in office at that time.  Again, they know they will lose, it's all about delay. 

Poll-wise I continue to point at some horrible cross tabs for Biden, whereby he won Latino vote by 30 points in 2020, and now leads by just a few points.  It's one of the numbers which keep me up at night.  Meanwhile, while Senator Sinema and Menendez have just elected NOT to run as independents, helping Democratic Senate hopes....former Maryland Governor, moderate Republican Larry Hogan, is running double digits ahead of the Dem field.  Unfortunately, RFK Jr. is likely to appear on a majority of November ballots, that could be the difference in pulling additional votes from Biden.

Grizzlor wrote:

First Trump HAS a lot of money, it's just not cash.  Nobody has "cash" in that amount because it would be completely counterintuitive to do so.  With low interest rates, maintained at that level for years by Trump, holding cash was not a good investment.  He did lie of course about having it to the judge, because he's crippled with insecurity, and cannot tell the truth about his portfolio.  Anyway, his assets are real estate, and you can't just roll that over into cash overnight.  AG James will be going to the Judge for liens on various Trump assets.  Ironically, some of them are actually not going to fetch the state of NY very much.  Several are so heavily mortgaged, that Trump actually retains very little actual ownership.

But that's the thing.  If he owns a bunch of things that are heavily mortgaged, he doesn't really own anything.  It's a house of cards.  Now here's where it gets tricky.  I don't think there's any question that if Mar-A-Lago went sale, it would fetch a ton just for the Trump novelty of it.  I think it'd be a bidding war between Trump billionaires and anti-Trump billionaires for the right to use the property for their own politics-based nonsense.  I'm also in agreement that Trump's getting hit with this stuff because he's Trump.

But 1) Trump knows this and if he didn't want to get hit with this stuff, he didn't need to be such an *sshole and 2) he still broke the law.  Millions of people speed every day, and only a few people get caught.  It doesn't mean that tickets shouldn't be written or that speeding isn't a crime.

I don't like Trump, and I'm willing to admit that it'd be funny if he had to sell off meaningful things at bargain basement prices.  Because he'll never get that stuff back, and his kids have less to run into the ground once their dad is dead.

Again, they know they will lose, it's all about delay.

The lawyers know they will lose.  But does Trump?  Like with the election being stolen, I'm no longer convinced that Trump actually understands what's going on.  I think he's convinced himself (or been convinced by others) that the election was stolen.  And I think he's convinced himself (or been convinced by others) that total immunity is a thing.  And I think it's going to be interesting (not good) to see how he responds to it.  If you take him at his word, he should 100% drop out if immunity isn't granted.  He says you cannot operate as president and that no one would do it.

Now he's 100% not going to drop out but now there's a clear cognitive dissonance, right?  Trump is going to be saying "I don't have full immunity, I'm not going to be able to operate as president" and "I still want to be president" instead of "I cannot do this job without immunity so I don't want the job anymore."

The problem is that he's in too deep.  If he doesn't run for president, he won't be able to delay the trials against him forever.  He needs to be president to get the federal charges dismissed against him and get the state stuff delayed/ignored until he's out of office.  And when he gets in, I think he'll still maintain that he has total immunity.  And there's no question he'll try and stay in office after 2028 so any "I'll get indicted once I leave office" wouldn't even happen.

Also, the fact that SCOTUS even took the case (and delayed it so long) doesn't take off the table the idea that they'll side with Trump and give him total immunity.

Poll-wise I continue to point at some horrible cross tabs for Biden, whereby he won Latino vote by 30 points in 2020, and now leads by just a few points.  It's one of the numbers which keep me up at night.

538 did a podcast on this the other day (I just finished it yesterday).  They say it's important to be careful not to do too much crosstab diving at this point in the race.  It is still early, and there's evidence of a) protest voting against Biden from people who are going to come back around to him in November and b) collective amnesia about Trump and his presidency.  For example, one of the few places Biden polls better than Trump is in temperament, but he's barely leading.  The polling suggests people don't think temperament is as important as it was in 2020, but there's still no question that Biden's temperament is much more presidential than Trump's.  I think people have just forgotten, and they'll be reminded once they start paying attention.

https://abcnews.go.com/538/video/worrie … -108258022

Anyway, the podcast goes into whether or not polling is bad and where the numbers are good for both Biden and Trump.  What's crazy about polling is that Biden is losing all the swing states (Michigan recently was tied), but the democrats are winning senate races in all the states.  So there are people who are voting democrat for senator but Trump for president.  There will certainly be *some* people who do that, but I assume as the race gets more real, people are going to go back to their respective camps.

Unfortunately, RFK Jr. is likely to appear on a majority of November ballots, that could be the difference in pulling additional votes from Biden.

Regarding RFK, he's only on the ballot in a handful of states (but they are key states).  When I was pulling the link for the podcast above, I found this:

https://abcnews.go.com/538/rfk-jr-party … =108346487

I know the Biden campaign is worried about RFK, but they're being aggressive about it.  RFK has the Kennedy name, but he's not a true Kennedy.  Polls that have Democrats voting for Kennedy show that Democrats don't agree with his policies.  It's going to take a media blitz to get it done, but right now, RFK is getting Democrat votes based off his name.  If Biden can tell Democrats who RFK really is, I really think he's going to struggle to get Democrat support.  I mean maybe there are hardcore anti-vax Democrats who would otherwise vote for Biden, but I just can't imagine that's the case.  DeSantis voters line up pretty hard with RFK voters so that's a much more logical fit.

But again, it's going to mean getting through to those people.  Biden's going to have a ton of money to spend, though.  He's crushing Trump in fundraising, and Trump actually pulled in less money last month than Nikki Haley.

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

The problem is that he's in too deep.  If he doesn't run for president, he won't be able to delay the trials against him forever.  He needs to be president to get the federal charges dismissed against him and get the state stuff delayed/ignored until he's out of office.  And when he gets in, I think he'll still maintain that he has total immunity.  And there's no question he'll try and stay in office after 2028 so any "I'll get indicted once I leave office" wouldn't even happen.

Also, the fact that SCOTUS even took the case (and delayed it so long) doesn't take off the table the idea that they'll side with Trump and give him total immunity.

Trump knows fully what he's doing.  This is his life's skill, screwing people and entities over, and living to do it another day.  Truth Social is likely to have a massive IPO, despite most analysts having no clue why anyone would invest in it.  He'll make a ton on that.  His financial problems really aren't central to the campaign.  His legal issues are.  I think Bragg's case WILL see a courtroom in about a month.  Can't say the same for the others.  Judge Cannon's rulings have left legal experts baffled, and most believe she is angling on delaying the case for months and/or dismissing it entirely.  The problem is Bragg getting a conviction is mehhh, as the penalty would at worst result in probation or home confinement, and a fine.  The DC case remains the critical one, if the Judge can have it proceed in the summer without the USSC derailing it.

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

Anyway, the podcast goes into whether or not polling is bad and where the numbers are good for both Biden and Trump.  What's crazy about polling is that Biden is losing all the swing states (Michigan recently was tied), but the democrats are winning senate races in all the states. So there are people who are voting democrat for senator but Trump for president.  There will certainly be *some* people who do that, but I assume as the race gets more real, people are going to go back to their respective camps.

I've made this point since last year, Biden is a terrible candidate.  The voters are not lost, they are largely undecided. 

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

Unfortunately, RFK Jr. is likely to appear on a majority of November ballots, that could be the difference in pulling additional votes from Biden.

Regarding RFK, he's only on the ballot in a handful of states (but they are key states).  When I was pulling the link for the podcast above, I found this:

https://abcnews.go.com/538/rfk-jr-party … =108346487

I know the Biden campaign is worried about RFK, but they're being aggressive about it.  RFK has the Kennedy name, but he's not a true Kennedy.  Polls that have Democrats voting for Kennedy show that Democrats don't agree with his policies.  It's going to take a media blitz to get it done, but right now, RFK is getting Democrat votes based off his name.  If Biden can tell Democrats who RFK really is, I really think he's going to struggle to get Democrat support.  I mean maybe there are hardcore anti-vax Democrats who would otherwise vote for Biden, but I just can't imagine that's the case.  DeSantis voters line up pretty hard with RFK voters so that's a much more logical fit.

But again, it's going to mean getting through to those people.  Biden's going to have a ton of money to spend, though.  He's crushing Trump in fundraising, and Trump actually pulled in less money last month than Nikki Haley.

Kennedy will be on more ballots, because many states have these dumb rules where if you align with a political party (often a fly by night), you don't need that many signatures.

2,559 (edited by Slider_Quinn21 2024-03-22 13:17:38)

Grizzlor wrote:

I've made this point since last year, Biden is a terrible candidate.  The voters are not lost, they are largely undecided.

Yeah, I don't disagree.  I'd feel better if there was someone younger and stronger-looking on the top of the ballot.  But when they poll anyone vs Trump, Biden actually still polls the best.  The only place it seems to be better for a non-Biden candidate is Whitmer when it's a Michigan-only poll.  So I don't know.  The polling says Biden is weak but it also says Biden is the best the Democrats have to offer.

Kennedy will be on more ballots, because many states have these dumb rules where if you align with a political party (often a fly by night), you don't need that many signatures.

Yeah, I'm still just not convinced that Kennedy hurts Biden more than he hurts Trump.  I'm sure there are going to be people who pay zero attention to the race and then pick Kennedy on name recognition alone, but I just don't think if there's any understanding about who Kennedy is, he'd pull very many votes from Biden.

Even as a protest vote against both parties, he doesn't make sense for people who would otherwise be for Biden.  Stein makes way more sense for Biden voters who have climate change as their only issue, or even Cornel West as an African American.  Once you know what he stands for, he just pushes none of buttons that would otherwise attract a Biden voter.

I guess if the idea is that there's a DeSantis voter who hates Trump and would vote for Biden in a two horse race but chooses to vote for Kennedy otherwise....I guess that makes sense.  But isn't that guy just as likely to vote for DeSantis or Jeb Bush or something like that?

Trump's Truth Social money isn't going to help him out of his well-deserved legal consequences.
https://www.salon.com/2024/03/22/cashes … on-penalty

Could he wriggle out of his staggering financial penalties? He has before. But past performance is not always an indicator of present and future results.

Letitia James has a busy Monday ahead of her, starting with identifying Trump's bank accounts.
https://www.politico.com/news/2024/03/2 … e-00148587

Kennedy won't pull enough votes to matter

2,563 (edited by Grizzlor 2024-03-23 13:47:09)

https://nypost.com/2024/03/23/us-news/d … rank-lutz/

Pollster Frank Luntz claims that AG James seizing Trump properties will help him in polls.  I'm not sure it will matter either way.  Unquestionably the Colorado stunt was baseless and counterproductive, but to me, I just don't think people care.  Gloating over what the AG does to Trump really gets us nowhere.  He's likely to be dictator this time next year, so whether he no longer owns a building or a golf course seems awfully petty and insignificant.

“I say this to the Attorney General right now, if you play politics on this — this is what the secretaries of state did in Colorado and what they did in, I believe, is Maine. His numbers went up in both states,” Luntz said.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/22/politics … index.html

Here's more headaches with polling, just in Michigan.  CNN released a poll showing Biden being crushed by Trump, in line with another January poll of that state from another pollster.  Without boring everyone with numbers, this poll seems to claim that voters under 35 favor Trump by a wide margin, and "voters of color" showed a huge move away from Biden.  These could be accurate, in which case, Biden is likely to lose as badly as John Kerry.  Is that simply the younger voters being so disgusted with both candidates?  Keep seeing these polls showing a massive, almost inconceivable shift from D to R among both groups nationwide.  However, electoral results continue to dispel this?  Again, I continue to question the metrics, because it's likely very difficult to get a real read on those demos.

However, this is pertinent I feel, and goes to the potential notion that youth voter apathy will drive them towards throwaway to Kennedy.  I personally believe these people, who are massively undecided, simply won't vote.

A hypothetical four-way matchup including Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. and Cornel West in addition to Trump and Biden suggests significant support for Kennedy in both states. In Pennsylvania, 40% choose Trump, 38% Biden, 16% Kennedy and 4% West, while in Michigan, it stands at 40% Trump, 34% Biden, 18% Kennedy and 4% West. In both states, fewer than one-fifth of those backing candidates other than Biden or Trump say they are enthusiastic about their choice, with about half in each state saying they back their candidate mostly because they don’t like their other options.

Both Biden and Trump are viewed unfavorably by majorities of Michigan and Pennsylvania voters, and about 1 in 6 in each state are so-called “double-haters,” holding an unfavorable view of both Biden and Trump (17% in Michigan, 18% in Pennsylvania). In the hypothetical matchup including third party candidates, a plurality of these double-negative voters in each state break for Kennedy, despite large shares of that group also saying they don’t know enough about him to have an opinion.

Meanwhile, Emerson has them even in MI.

https://emersoncollegepolling.com/michi … -biden-44/

So the thing about third party is that a lot of people are willing to say they will vote for Kennedy/Stein/West/etc now, but people end up coming back to the two parties by the time it's time to vote.  Just like people in Michigan were protest voting Biden, but afterward, people were saying "of course I'll vote for Biden."  I think that comes down to the fact that people don't tend to want to throw their vote away.  Unless you actively hate both Biden and Trump *and* you truly believe in the third party candidate, people are going to want to think that their vote matters.  That means a vote for one of the two major parties.

Whether Kennedy will actually impact the race comes in the data too.  Most polls force 3rd party voters to pick Biden or Trump, and usually the lead for Biden/Trump doesn't really change.  So it seems like the people picking third party candidates are evenly split.

The question is whether they'll stay evenly split.

People buy into the false narrative about throwing their vote away, as if voting for someone who doesn't support what you support is doing something constructive with it.

Well here's the problem.  In the current system, the 3rd party has no chance to win.  People like to win or to celebrate being a part of a winner.  They like when the guy they voted for wins.  When you vote for a third party, you're essentially writing that part off, especially in a presidential election.

But then there's the other half of it - do the mainstream parties even care?  In a perfect world, a third party candidate would be a viable alternative, especially in a year where a lot of people hate both of the main candidates.  In an optimal world, the mainstream parties would move left or right to absorb the people that decided to vote for a third party candidate. 

I just don't know if either of those things are happening.  I don't know if the Democratic party adjusted to absorb people that voted for Jill Stein in 2016.  And I certainly don't think the Democratic party will shift to absorb Democrats that vote for RFK Jr.  So what is the point in voting third party if a) there's literally zero chance they could win and b) there might be literally no chance that your vote will force either major party to shift.

I don't know.  Maybe it's pessimism with the system, but in the last three election cycles, the only candidate that wasn't openly hated by their own party is Joe Biden in 2020.  And yet third parties in the country seem more irrelevant than ever.  Of course, only about 100,000 votes in the entire election are going to really matter so it's probably much more hopeless than even I'm considering.

The justice system jumped out of its way to protect Donald Trump again today.  It's outrageous how he continues to claim he's being persecuted when he's probably the most protected citizen in the world today.  He just never faces any consequences for his actions.

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

The justice system jumped out of its way to protect Donald Trump again today.  It's outrageous how he continues to claim he's being persecuted when he's probably the most protected citizen in the world today.  He just never faces any consequences for his actions.

Let's be honest, how many times have you seen a jury award $700 million in damages against a company, only to have that appealed down to $15 million?  It pays to be wealthy.

Oh absolutely.  That's what's so tragic.  Donald Trump has people convinced that theres a two-tiered justice system.  And there is.  Just rich vs poor instead of red vs blue.

George Conway is a Trump-voter and a Republican (so, highly untrustworthy) who expressed remorse for voting Trump in 2016 and has dedicated his life to calling out Trump's lies and crimes since 2018 (so, interesting to listen to, but be cautious). Conway takes the view that New York State made a good deal in making sure to get at least $175 million out of Trump (if Trump can pay it).

George Conway wrote:

If I were the NYAG’s office, I’m not sure I wouldn’t be pleased with the Appellate Division’s order cutting back Trump’s bond to $175 million.  The reason is that if Trump can actually bond that much of the judgment, then the State of New York is guaranteed the ability to collect at least that much if it wins the appeal—without having to send lawyers around the country chasing Trump’s assets down, which would be a time-consuming, costly, and difficult process.

https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trumps- … ay-1883315

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcrWc0cJho0

Yeah, but that sucks, right?  I don't want him to have to pay less because it would be too administratively difficult or because it might help him politically or whatever.  I want the dude to pay for what he's done - monetarily or electorally first, and I guess with jail time if that's possible.  I want the Trump name to crash and burn once he's gone, and I want him to be a footnote in history.

I understand treating him fairly, but it also feels weak to follow the rules with someone with no regard for the rules.

It doesn't matter, he's not gonna pay because he knows they won't do anything to him.  It's the Alex Jones thing all over again.

I know Trump is campaigning off the trials, but why do these rich people even fight these cases if there's no chance they ever have to pay the fines?  Why waste money on attorneys when you can just show up yourself, plead guilty, take whatever fine they give you, and never pay?

At least some of them get prosecuted.  New York lets countless violent offenders right back onto the streets.

We can't get complacent or think we wanted to leave one but the polls do not match the money donations or the actual special election voting this woman is a Democrat who ran on abortion and won by 30 points.

https://x.com/NoLieWithBTC/status/17728 … 32925?s=20

https://i.postimg.cc/Y06StSW2/Screenshot-at-Mar-28-08-54-00.png

Yes, Biden now has the support of women by a 2 to 1 margin, although he's flipped the other way with men.

There was a polling report that between 2020 Nov exits, and now, Joe Biden remains around 40% with white folks.  He's lost very large % with Hispanic and black "voters."  That is where the overall polling has changed.  Now, is that real?  I still say that some of that has to do with outdated polling metrics.

I think the losses with Hispanics are real, and it's something that Biden is going to have to deal with seriously. The problem is that, from what I've read, Hispanic Americans don't identify with the immigrants crossing the border.  Especially if they're second generation or more, they consider themselves Americans, and they treat the issue like most Americans do.  I even read an interview with an illegal immigrant, and he was saying he identifies with Trump more than Biden.

So Biden can't win over Hispanics with a pro-immigrant position.  I think it's going to need to be about the improving economy, infrastructure improvements that provide jobs, and stuff like that.  Basically the same pitch he's making to the rest of the country.

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

I know Trump is campaigning off the trials, but why do these rich people even fight these cases if there's no chance they ever have to pay the fines?  Why waste money on attorneys when you can just show up yourself, plead guilty, take whatever fine they give you, and never pay?

In a civil fraud trial, failure to pay means the state can engage in asset seizure.

pilight wrote:

It doesn't matter, he's not gonna pay because he knows they won't do anything to him.  It's the Alex Jones thing all over again.

Alex Jones was sued for harassment and defamation in a civil lawsuit by plaintiffs. Trump was prosecuted by the district attorney of the State of New York for financial fraud in a civil fraud trial.

If Trump doesn't post bond, loses his appeal after posting bond, and fails to pay the penalties after the appeal, the state can freeze his bank accounts and seize his properties. The district attorney in a civil fraud prosecution has powers that civilians don't in a civil suit.

Hispanics are not liberal by default.  They're mostly catholic, thus anti-abortion, and have learned from bitter experience to mistrust centralized government.  The more settled they become the less likely they are to vote Democratic.

Exactly. "There aren't two sides to facts."

https://x.com/jayrosen_nyu/status/17741 … 89989?s=20

https://i.postimg.cc/yY2dhBMK/Screenshot-at-Mar-30-17-31-11.png