Re: Reboots: The Return of Sliders (?), Quantum Leap, and Other Properties

Quantum Leap is on the far end of the bubble for a third season.  Universal Television's head just did an interview and they are basically waiting to see what NBC says, and NBC is going to weight it against other shows they want to maybe bring on fresh.     The ratings are slightly under the broadcast average for its time slot but not far off NBC's fall drama average. If it doesn't get a third season, I think it will be safe to say the reboot will be viewed as a moderate success at best (if that).

QUANTUM LEAP 2.0 is a creative success. As someone who is not a fan of the original show, QL2.0 demonstrated the potent power of the show's peculiar blend of empathy, science fiction, social justice and its wit, charm, and humour. QUANTUM LEAP brought a 1989 concept into 2022 and onward with inventiveness, drive and vision: a diverse cast, a love story across time, gorgeous visual realizations of different periods and settings, superb performances, and scripts filled with daring and charm.

If Season 2 is indeed the end, QUANTUM LEAP 2.0 ends on a moment of triumph, relief, reunion and adventure. I would love to see more, but I do not think brevity is a reason to think poorly of a show that offered a strong note of closure. I would love to see a grand finale with more final notes on Ian, Jen, Magic and Janis and also Sam Beckett, but Season 2 leaves me very satisfied with both its conclusion and the way that last shot hints at so many wonderful adventures for Addison and Ben.

ireactions wrote:

QUANTUM LEAP 2.0 is a creative success. As someone who is not a fan of the original show, QL2.0 demonstrated the potent power of the show's peculiar blend of empathy, science fiction, social justice and its wit, charm, and humour. QUANTUM LEAP brought a 1989 concept into 2022 and onward with inventiveness, drive and vision: a diverse cast, a love story across time, gorgeous visual realizations of different periods and settings, superb performances, and scripts filled with daring and charm.

If Season 2 is indeed the end, QUANTUM LEAP 2.0 ends on a moment of triumph, relief, reunion and adventure. I would love to see more, but I do not think brevity is a reason to think poorly of a show that offered a strong note of closure. I would love to see a grand finale with more final notes on Ian, Jen, Magic and Janis and also Sam Beckett, but Season 2 leaves me very satisfied with both its conclusion and the way that last shot hints at so many wonderful adventures for Addison and Ben.

Certainly, a good point.   I was coming from the perspective (fear) of QL not justifying the act of networks/studios reinvigorating properties.   For example, with X-Files (not to send us off on a tangent), the new 911 show did better than that (I believe X Files season 11).    It just demotivates networks that revivials or reboots work that well.   Another proxy is how John Wick franchise blew Blade Runner continuation out of the water from a business perspective.  I want QL to succeed because I don't like how networks and studios kill shows and then never give them life again.   It's rude to the consumer imo.

I'd certainly agree that no studio considers it a financial success for a show to only run two seasons. However, that's two seasons with a strong conclusion. If QUANTUM LEAP 2.0 is cancelled on Addison and Ben's joyful reunion and running off into a new adventure, then QUANTUM LEAP 2.0 joins a number of other short-lived shows that had an adequate and reasonably passable conclusion: FAKING IT, FREAKS AND GEEKS, TRINKETS, AWAKE, BRISCO COUNTY JR., MANTIS, LIFE UNEXPECTED, PUNKY BREWSTER REBORN and SAVED BY THE BELL REBORN.

It is a far more forgiving fate than being shot and blown up, being sent to a rape camp and being transformed into the jukebox machine from the movie BIG and being exploded, getting merged with another person and 'lost', and being sent into an unstable vortex, fate unknown, and ending on a cliffhanger.

If this is the end, I feel that the final scene is quite beautiful and perfect in its way. Addison and Ben are reunited. Then we see Addison's little smile as an explosion in the distance goes off, signaling threat and danger. Addison smiles because she isn't afraid, but instead delighted to be with Ben and to be adventuring with him now. They run off into this latest leap.

They have found their way back to each other. They are together. And they are going to be just fine.

If we compare QL2.0's "Against Time" to "The Exodus" and "Genesis" and "The Unstuck Man" and "Requiem" and "The Seer", I feel we should be grateful.

SPOILERS FOR THE S2 FINALE OF QUANTUM LEAP

I hope it's not the end, but if it is, it is lovely.

https://i.ibb.co/TPDm2RX/the-end.jpg

I have a request for QuinnSlidr.

The first time I ever heard of QUANTUM LEAP was through Temporal Flux back on the old Sci-Fi Bboard. I suppose it makes sense as QL was TF's show before SLIDERS.

Temporal Flux posted about how the "Mirror Image" finale of QUANTUM LEAP had seen a mixed reception among fans. However, there was some news: the QUANTUM LEAP novels published after the show's cancellation (published at a rate of 2 - 4 a year) were coming to an end, but their 17th and final original installment would come in February 2000 with a novel called "Mirror's Edge":

Mirror's Edge, by Carol Davis with Esther D. Reese
The last leap... ?

It's 1999 -- five years after the Leap that started it all. It's 1999 -- for Sam Beckett who has leaped into Joe Powell, one of the richest men in America, a potential presidential candidate, and a man who is used to getting his way.

It's 1999 for Al Calavicci, for Donna Alessi-Beckett, for all the people at Project Quantum Leap who know that Sam is in their present, home but yet not home. But the holes in Sam's Swiss cheese memory are starting to fill, the man in the Waiting Room is strangely, disturbingly calm, and Ziggy is dispensing information that can hardly be believed. Something is about to happen.

Something that will change Sam's life and the lives of those who love him -- forever.

"Mirror's Edge": the conclusion to the thrilling adventures based on the hit TV series.

The novel hit the shops shortly after SLIDERS had aired its series non-finale. Some Slideheads who were also Leapers thought "Mirror's Edge" might take the sting off with a post-"Mirror Image" story.

In the many, many, many years since then, I have always remembered this posting about a media tie-in novel that I never read regarding a TV show that I never watched.

The reason I've always remembered it: "Mirror's Edge" was the first time I had ever seen an unresolved live action story being addressed in another format. That fascinated me, and I later discovered STAR TREK novels that resurrected Captain Kirk, DOCTOR WHO novels that resumed the TV show storyline during the DW hiatus from 1987 to 2005, and wrote my own tie-in stories for SLIDERS. "Mirror's Edge" remains a beacon of media tie-ins in my personal, anecdotal experience.

However, I later did learn: some QL fans expressed frustration with "Mirror's Edge" for what they called false advertising. Despite being billed as a "conclusion", that turned out to just be referring to how this 17th book was to be the last. "Mirror's Edge", like every QUANTUM LEAP novel before it, takes place before the series finale of QL1.0. It is not a sequel to "Mirror Image".

However. While "Mirror's Edge" is set before "Mirror Image"; it is set at the very edge of "Mirror Image"; it is in fact a prequel seeking to offer context to the series finale that is either new or retconned. It tries to make "Mirror Image" more of a finale, retroactively, by telling a story set before it that attempts to better explain it.

Some fans were furious with the publisher and the authors. Primary author Carol Davis spoke with fans on fan forums and explained: due to diminished sales, the publisher had elected to end the QL book series and commissioned a final story. However, the licensing agreement with Universal had a stipulation: the publishers were not allowed to produce any novels set after the QL series finale. The studio didn't want a novel to potentially step on any territory to be left open for a potential TV movie or series revival.

Davis and the publisher were caught between the need to produce a concluding novel and the studio declaring that Davis' typewriter wasn't to produce a single page set after "Mirror Image". Davis came up with a solution. Her solution -- a prequel to "Mirror Image" -- is either tactical brilliance that would make a lawyer weep with joy or a weak gesture that is grossly inadequate.

I've always wondered what a QL fan unhappy with "Mirror Image" would think of "Mirror's Edge". would think of it if they read the book. "Mirror's Edge" is out of print, but here is a PDF and an ePub from Archive.org:

PDF: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zTRVtW … sp=sharing
EPUB: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1t32dIK … sp=sharing

Will you read it and tell me what you think of it?

I would have asked Tom of Rewatch Podcast, but Tom actually likes the finale story that is "Mirror Image". "I like it, it made me feel good with the series ending where it did," he told me. "I know a lot of people don't like it, but I do. I will die on that hill!" I didn't think him the right person to read "Mirror's Edge" and tell me if it resolves his dis-satisfactions with "Mirror Image" because he wasn't dis-satisfied.

667 (edited by QuinnSlidr 2024-03-06 04:20:52)

ireactions wrote:

The first time I ever heard of QUANTUM LEAP was through Temporal Flux back on the old Sci-Fi Bboard. I suppose it makes sense as QL was TF's show before SLIDERS.

Temporal Flux posted about how the "Mirror Image" finale of QUANTUM LEAP had seen a mixed reception among fans. However, there was some news: the QUANTUM LEAP novels published after the show's cancellation (published at a rate of 2 - 4 a year) were coming to an end, but their 17th and final original installment would come in February 2000 with a novel called "Mirror's Edge":

The last leap... ?

It's 1999 -- five years after the Leap that started it all. It's 1999 -- for Sam Beckett who has leaped into Joe Powell, one of the richest men in America, a potential presidential candidate, and a man who is used to getting his way.

It's 1999 for Al Calavicci, for Donna Alessi-Beckett, for all the people at Project Quantum Leap who know that Sam is in their present, home but yet not home. But the holes in Sam's Swiss cheese memory are starting to fill, the man in the Waiting Room is strangely, disturbingly calm, and Ziggy is dispensing information that can hardly be believed. Something is about to happen.

Something that will change Sam's life and the lives of those who love him -- forever.

"Mirror's Edge": the conclusion to the thrilling adventures based on the hit TV series.

The novel hit the shops shortly after SLIDERS had aired its series non-finale. Some Slideheads who were also Leapers thought "Mirror's Edge" might take the sting off with a post-"Mirror Image" story.

In the many, many, many years since then, I have always remembered this posting about a media tie-in novel that I never read regarding a TV show that I never watched.

The reason I've always remembered it: "Mirror's Edge" was the first time I had ever seen an unresolved live action story being addressed in another format. That fascinated me, and I later discovered STAR TREK novels that resurrected Captain Kirk, DOCTOR WHO novels that resumed the TV show storyline during the DW hiatus from 1987 to 2005, and wrote my own tie-in stories for SLIDERS. "Mirror's Edge" remains a beacon of media tie-ins in my personal, anecdotal experience.

However, I later did learn: some QL fans expressed frustration with "Mirror's Edge" for what they called false advertising. Despite being billed as a "conclusion", that turned out to just be referring to how this 17th book was to be the last. "Mirror's Edge", like every QUANTUM LEAP novel before it, takes place before the series finale of QL1.0. It is not a sequel to "Mirror Image".

However. While "Mirror's Edge" is set before "Mirror Image"; it is set at the very edge of "Mirror Image"; it is in fact a prequel seeking to offer context to the series finale that is either new or retconned. It tries to make "Mirror Image" more of a finale, retroactively, by telling a story set before it that attempts to better explain it.

Some fans were furious with the publisher and the authors. Primary author Carol Davis spoke with fans on fan forums and explained: due to diminished sales, the publisher had elected to end the QL book series and commissioned a final story. However, the licensing agreement with Universal had a stipulation: the publishers were not allowed to produce any novels set after the QL series finale. The studio didn't want a novel to potentially step on any territory to be left open for a potential TV movie or series revival.

Davis and the publisher were caught between the need to produce a concluding novel and the studio declaring that Davis' typewriter wasn't to produce a single page set after "Mirror Image". Davis came up with a solution. Her solution -- a prequel to "Mirror Image" -- is either tactical brilliance that would make a lawyer weep with joy or a weak gesture that is grossly inadequate.

I've always wondered what a QL fan unhappy with "Mirror Image" would think of "Mirror's Edge". would think of it if they read the book. "Mirror's Edge" is out of print, but here is a PDF and an ePub from Archive.org:

I would have asked Tom of Rewatch Podcast, but Tom actually likes the finale story that is "Mirror Image". "I like it, it made me feel good with the series ending where it did," he told me. "I know a lot of people don't like it, but I do. I will die on that hill!" I didn't think him the right person to read "Mirror's Edge" and tell me if it resolves his dis-satisfactions with "Mirror Image" because he wasn't dis-satisfied.

@ireactions - Absolutely. I will take a look and give this a read soon! I've always thought that Mirror Image did not resolve anything and was too open-ended of a cliffhanger for QL for me to ever be satisfied with it. I felt down-right ripped off and felt like there should have been a much better finale for an otherwise amazing series.

Back then, of course, you had to wait for the rerun of the show starting back at S01E01 to tape it on bulky VHS tapes (I had a library of shows I taped on VHS to watch over and over again until I lost interest and the VHS tapes were eventually thrown away - only to be picked up again years later via DVDs then via streaming). And yes, that included Sliders on tape. None of us back then had any inkling of the technology we would have access to nowadays with streaming every single show we have ever loved at our fingertips.

QuinnSlidr wrote:
ireactions wrote:

The last leap... ?

@ireactions - Absolutely. I will take a look and give this a read soon! I've always thought that Mirror Image did not resolve anything and was too open-ended of a cliffhanger for QL for me to ever be satisfied with it. I felt down-right ripped off and felt like there should have been a much better finale for an otherwise amazing series.

Back then, of course, you had to wait for the rerun of the show starting back at S01E01 to tape it on bulky VHS tapes (I had a library of shows I taped on VHS to watch over and over again until I lost interest and the VHS tapes were eventually thrown away - only to be picked up again years later via DVDs then via streaming). And yes, that included Sliders on tape. None of us back then had any inkling of the technology we would have access to nowadays with streaming every single show we have ever loved at our fingertips.

@ireactions - I just downloaded it and I will be reading through it this weekend. Looks like this will be a fun read based on what I have heard!!

When you finish it, my questions will be this:

• How well did the writing capture the speech patterns and narrative tone of the show?

• Did the descriptions capture the visual storytelling language of the show? Or did they offer an analogous storytelling language within the format of prose?

• Did the writing change the show, characters or style in order to fit the format of prose or the writer's own preferences? How?

• Did the story address "Mirror Image" and make it more acceptable? Or did it fail? How?

• Considering the studio constraint of being only permitted to write a prequel to "Mirror Image", how well or poorly do you feel the writer told the story with that handicap?

• If the restriction on post-"Mirror Image" stories had not been in place, would this story have been served by post-"Mirror Image" content or best replaced with a different story entirely?

• Is "Mirror's Edge" a strong story regardless of its QUANTUM LEAP connections?

• Is "Mirror's Edge" a strong QUANTUM LEAP story?

• Is "Mirror's Edge" a satisfying conclusion?

These are all the things I have wondered since Temporal Flux wrote about it in 2000.

well this is not the type of stories I want to see:

https://tvgrimreaper.substack.com/p/wee … -likely-to

Well, that's just speculation. QL2.0's renewal will be dependent on NBC's schedule and if they have pilots they think might do better than QL2.0.

Erin Underhill, President, Universal TV:

The way that they wrapped that up is it could be a satisfying ending but they also could continue on so I think we’re going to be waiting to hear feedback from NBC as we approach the May upfront as to what the status is. Like always, I think it’s going to depend on their development and how they’re feeling about the pilots that come in and where Quantum would potentially go on the schedule. But I think everyone has a lot of support for that show and big fan base in terms of that being a major library title for us. So we’re optimistic but we won’t know anything with certainty until I think probably April.
https://deadline.com/2024/02/universal- … 235838979/

QL2.0 cancelled

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv … 235867776/

I'm sad to see this. But I'm grateful that we got two great seasons, and a happy ending for Ben and Addison.

I'd be curious to see if there's any effort to see QL2.0 picked up on Peacock or another streaming service, if only for an extra-length series finale like ZOE'S EXTRAORDINARY PLAYLIST.

Unfortunate.

Never saw it, but I'm still upset to lose any kind of quality science fiction TV.  There's simply almost none of it anymore.

Sad to see. Like Grizzlor said, I don't like losing any quality science fiction TV. And I loved QL 2.0.

Sigh.

I still need to read that PDF from ireactions. I'm getting to it, ireactions!! Just been busy as of late more than I thought that I would be.

I am sad that QUANTUM LEAP 2.0 is cancelled, but I feel heartened to know that somewhere out there, Ben and Addison are together and on the adventure of a lifetime. The limitless possibilities of that happy non-ending ending inspire and comfort me.

I wished, for so very long, that SLIDERS had, if cancelled, ended with Quinn, Wade, Rembrandt and Arturo simply still out there, together, exploring, travelling, having wonderful adventures, searching for home, while at the same time recognizing that home is, as Temporal Flux and Tracy Torme both said, not just a place but the people with whom you belong, and so long as Quinn, Wade, Rembrandt and Arturo are together, they are home. I think that's why every fanfic I ever wrote for SLIDERS, both "Slide Effects" and SLIDES REBORN, end on the sliders eagerly leaping into the vortex together.

I'm glad that Ben and Addison got to have that. They are lost in time. But they're together and they are happy. And they are going to be just fine.

I'm about to do a rewatch of the 2021 original-cast iCARLY revival which unfortunately got cancelled after its third season and on a bit of a cliffhanger. However, I have seen most of it, and on the whole, I thought it was a fun, good-natured, pleasant show that poked fun at the loose continuity and cheery absurdities of the original.

In case you've forgotten or never watched it, the original iCARLY was a 2007 - 2012 show about two Seattle high school girls (Carly and Sam) and their friend Freddie who start a webcast of absurd sketch comedy while growing up together. It was a lively, low-budget Nickelodeon multicamera sitcom with mostly interior filming but a highly colourful and dynamic visual style.

in 2021, iCARLY came back to TV with a revival series and original actress Miranda Cosgrove (Carly) as series lead and associate showrunner, replacing original series creator Dan Schneider (who was ousted from the iCARLY franchise due to abusive behaviour). Aside from Sam's actress, Jennette McCurdy, declined to return, the original cast all signed on as regulars, and iCARLY made a bold return as a return as a single camera drama about troubled twentysomethings.

In the years since the original, Carly worked in new media and had disastrous boyfriend after boyfriend; Freddie is twice-divorced and has an adopted daughter. And as they cope with numerous failures in life, they turn back to something that always gave them comfort and joy: their start their webcast anew and the adventure begins again.

"You can't stop someone from making an okay web show," someone remarks, a delightful moment of the franchise criticizing itself. In some ways, the new iCARLY was better than the original, having had nearly a decade in which TV had advanced in the areas of diversity, social justice and inclusion for minorities, LGBTQ+ communities, and the environment, and the new iCARLY had a warmly welcoming, compassionate presence in contrast to the original series which was often lewd or uncaring. The wacky hijinks had a softer tone, while the show was as harsh as ever in exploring its characters' flaws and failings.

In some ways, the revived iCARLY was only as good as the original, which is to say that a lot of the stories involved struggling to navigate a crush or worrying about their social status or organizing a birthday party -- stories that were fine for 13 - 18 year old characters but a bit embarrassing when the characters were now grown-ass adults. However, I will concede that the show often highlighted the comically low stakes of its stories and the juvenile conflicts at hand.

The iCARLY revival ended on a cliffhanger, and I never actually got around to watching the Season 3 finale and will soon. However, given that iCARLY was by its nature a very low-conflict, low-crisis show... I feel like any cliffhanger on this show is probably not a big deal.

And given that iCARLY has been off the air before and come back, I feel like it's not a cancellation as much as another long commercial break, and we'll probably see Carly and Freddy again someday.

That said, the cancellation of iCARLY, SAVED BY THE BELL, PUNKY BREWSTER and QUANTUM LEAP makes me wonder about the viability of revivals and what is and isn't working.

Looks like we could see a return to slightly askew projects that play off nostalgia.

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/a … uture.html

As mentioned in the article, J J Abram’s homage to Spielberg’s E.T. with his film Super 8 could be an example.  Looks like Abrams may be attempting the same thing with Back to the Future.

TemporalFlux wrote:

Looks like we could see a return to slightly askew projects that play off nostalgia.

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/a … uture.html

As mentioned in the article, J J Abram’s homage to Spielberg’s E.T. with his film Super 8 could be an example.  Looks like Abrams may be attempting the same thing with Back to the Future.

HURL!  Abrams has no shame.

Speaking of the slightly askew homage, AppleTV is set to debut Dark Matter on May 8:

https://www.theverge.com/24127236/dark- … le-tv-plus

The first trailer looks appropriately trippy and follows a physicist played by Joel Edgerton who is “abducted into an alternate version of his life.” The show involves him trying to get home while navigating this new multiversal reality, which is powered by a big black box that he invented.

Based on a 2016 novel, there are shades of Sliders in there

https://youtu.be/j6ucGt_Xp14

Looks very dreary.  I thoroughly enjoyed the highly Canadian scifi series Dark Matter from about 10 years ago, though.  Unrelated.

One show that doesn't get much respect but which I enjoyed a lot: RIVERDALE, a dark, film noir version of Archie comic books. And something I enjoyed in its fifth season: they basically cancelled their own show and mounted a revival. In the early fifth season episodes, Archie and the gang graduate from high school (which was meant for the end of Season 4 but delayed due to pandemic).

Then the very next episode is set seven years later: Archie and friends return to their hometown after a long absence and the actors, now playing characters closer to their actual ages instead of high school students, discover that their home is in a dire situation and is in urgent need of saving.

I really liked all of this. I liked seeing the kids we knew in high school become adults. I liked them moving past adolescent issues and battling for the soul and life of their hometown. I liked seeing them become teachers and mentors instead of students. It was wonderful to see their potential achieved and realized.

Season 6 also took another turn: the first half of the season was set in a dark, paranormal reality and the show's title changed to RIVERVALE. And when we returned to the 'main' reality, Archie and friends now had superpowers: superstrength, psychic abilities, telepathic gifts -- the show took a bizarre and joyfully ridiculous turn into becoming an eerie CW superhero drama.

Season 7, for better or for worse, did a hard reboot and all the characters were now 1950s high school students. The writing was as strong as ever (but even RIVERDALE's most ardent fans will argue it was always poor). I understood that, as the creators knew it to be the final season, a 1950s setting was a way to engage where Archie comic books had solidified, and deal with the actual social realities of bigotry and inequality and prejudice that the Archie comics of the era had never addressed at all.

But I really loved the revival-style adult seasons of RIVERDALE. I would have loved to see the show do four years of high school and four years of adulthood.

ireactions wrote:

One show that doesn't get much respect but which I enjoyed a lot: RIVERDALE

I too have experienced the epic highs and lows of high school football.

It was an incredibly fun show to watch. It swung for the fences, often losing. I loved it.

Well, winning or losing for RIVERDALE would depend on examining RIVERDALE's goals. RIVERDALE was a TV exploration of putting the Archie characters in different genres. While the Archie brand is associated with children's teen comedy, ever since 2010 (if not earlier), the comic publisher had been experimenting with turning the ARCHIE publishing line into SLIDERS with some genre-hopping and some titles that were more adult and serious.

LIFE WITH ARCHIE was about adult versions of the characters. 2013's AFTERLIFE WITH ARCHIE put Archie in a post-apocalyptic zombie horror story. The 2015 ARCHIE relaunch changed Archie's genre from teen comedy to dramedy, with a bit more stakes, while still very funny. JUGHEAD: THE HUNGER explored Jughead's werewolf heritage. VAMPIRONICA made Veronica a vampire.

All of these were in separate continuities, so Archie could die in LIFE WITH ARCHIE and Riverdale could be destroyed in AFTERLIFE and other titles were free to ignore it. The JUGHEAD: TIME POLICE series had Jughead encountering some of these parallel realities. All these comics were an exercise in exploring how far the Archie cast could go in genre and setting while still remaining themselves. RIVERDALE was the distillation of this exploration, with a teen soap meets rural film noir situation for Seasons 1 - 4, a darkly operatic civic crime thriller in Season 5 with the gang now adults, a shift into TWILIGHT ZONE science fiction and mysticism in Season 6A followed by moving into the superhero genre in Season 6B.

One very strong ARCHIE comic was ARCHE: 1941 which was set in a historically realistic 1941 where Archie and Riverdale were facing World War II, the boys joining the army, war rationing, bigotry, nationalism and fear that Nazis were nearing American shores. The seventh season of RIVERDALE was a loose adaptation of ARCHIE: 1941, choosing the 1950s where the post-war ARCHIE comics had solidified into teen comedy over war propaganda, and exploring the civil rights movement that the actual 1950s comics had ignored.

Did RIVERDALE lose? I mean, the show was absurd, but I don't think it was ever trying to be a Serious Drama as much as a melodramatic, exaggerated, heightened, self-aware fantasy. I don't think it lost at being exactly what it set out to be, although as actress Vanessa Morgan (Toni) noted: it severely underserved its people of colour, never giving Toni any storylines once she was established as Cheryl's love interest and only using her to give Cheryl a black friend and lover.

Vanessa Morgan called the writers out on this in public in social media, and interestingly, showrunner Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa responded on social media with: "We hear Vanessa. We love Vanessa. She’s right. We’re sorry and we make the same promise to you that we did to her. We will do better to honor her and the character she plays. As well as all of our actors and characters of color."

Season 5 and on ward saw a larger role for Vanessa Morgan's Toni Topaz: she was treated as equally as Betty, Veronica and Cheryl, and Archie told her that she had always been an important part of his friend group, which was a huge part of why Seasons 5 - 7 were so pleasing to me. So even in that area of failure, RIVERDALE found a way to do better and succeed.

That said, there is a ton of disdain for RIVERDALE's absurdity and exaggeration and lunacy, from Season 2's hunt for the Black Hood killer to Season 4's insanity with an organ harvesting cult where the leader tries to escape in a rocketship and Season 5 where the FBI sets up an office in Riverdale because the town is a nexus point for any number of criminal enterprises.

And for anyone wanting a sensible teen dramedy like DAWSON's CREEK, RIVERDALE was probably not a winner. But I would argue we should review the show they set out to make and not the show anyone else wanted them to make. We wouldn't judge SLIDERS for being an absurdist comedy over an action series.