Re: Star Trek in Film and TV (and The Orville, too!)

I'm pretty impressed that the second half of PRODIGY's first season sets up a situation where Admiral Janeway is going to be hunting down the kids as terrorists, only to quickly ascertain that the kids are all survivors of slavery and child labour who have blundered into a bad situation and are in desperate need of help.

I don't remember Janeway being written this well on VOYAGER, but she should have been.

The moment in PRODIGY where the Janeway hologram is horrified to discover her programming has been co-opted by an outside intelligence and that her entire run of stewarding the kids to become Starfleet cadets has been to execute an attack on Starfleet that she's not even aware of -- it just broke my heart on every level. It destroyed me.

663 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2024-08-14 08:34:17)

regarding Prodigy & Netflix:

https://www.cancelledscifi.com/2024/08/ … -and-more/

That's disappointing but not necessarily surprising. As ireactions has said, this show wasn't promoted very well, and even strong Trek fans might never give it a chance.

665 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2024-08-14 10:40:08)

is Star Trek Next Generation: Generations happening?  Matalas' desired follow-up to Picard? I thought I heard something about  that supposedly at ComicCon.  Or maybe I read it wrong.

I don't think there's been any news on that.  ireactions might know more than me.

I'm not aware of any new developments on the hypothetical STAR TREK: LEGACY series. My guess is that each season of PICARD was progressively more expensive and LEGACY is a difficult financial proposition. It wouldn't be called PICARD, and as a new show, all the actors and creators would be negotiating new contracts, seeking to more than what they were on PICARD while the studio would use the LEGACY title to declare that it's a new show and starts at a lower rate. This push and pull, in addition to Paramount's financial troubles, has them investing in new shows and new creators that won't negotiate for more just yet.

668 (edited by Grizzlor 2024-08-15 10:13:58)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/busin … 235969843/

Paramount is completely imploding.  They just closed down their television studio division, in LA.  The CEO had them write off nearly $6 billion loss, due to the loss in valuation for its TV apparatus, as part of the Skydance merger.  Thus, it's tough to say what plans the Alex Kurtzman-led Paramount+ Trek will have beyond what's already announced for 2025.

Seeing paramount's struggles has been ashame because they have some decent IP. But not all studios can.have their own streaming services.  And all the disparate apps makes for a crappy user experience.  A lot of time spent is going to YouTube and tiktok.

There was a time when I was so angry at Jerry O'Connell for so many failures and betrayals.

But I think, if I'm being more honest with myself: I was angry with him because his existence and his public persona were a constant reminder of an unchangeable truth. A fact that I didn't like to acknowledge or admit. A reality that William Shatner touches on in his song, "Real":

William Shatner wrote:

I have saved the world in the movies
So naturally there's folks who think
I must know what to do.

But just because you've seen me on your TV
Doesn't mean I'm any more enlightened than you.

I'd love to help the world
and all its problems.
But I'm an entertainer,
and that's all.

So the next time
there's an asteroid
or a natural disaster
I'm flattered
that you thought of me
But I'm not the one to call.

And while there's a part of me in that guy you've seen
Up there on that screen,
I eat and sleep and breathe and bleed and feel.

I wish I knew the things you think I do
I would change this world for sure.

Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm real.