Topic: Interview - Robert Floyd Looks Back on SLIDERS!

rafproductions2014-10-19 07:09:55
IP: 76.170.0.193

Just  a quick second  to say how thrilled I was to see the Sliders Board! God I loved doing that show and how cool all the fans of it were. I was really lucky to follow such an amazing talent like Jerry. He really was and is a brilliant actor and a terrific guy. I do hope you all get to meet him. The rest of the cast were just incredible. It really was one of the greatest times of my life.

After Sliders I worked a good bit, but I had to leave acting when I was doing Dark Angel. I was a single dad and traveling with my two young boys all the time- it was too rough a life for us. Funny, I went back to bartending and enjoy every day there. I really love trying to make people happy.

I will continue to follow the boards, I love the opinions about all the different shows!

Best,
Rob

After Rob posted on Sliders.tv last year, I sent him an E-mail. Recently, he set aside some time and we had a 100 minute phone conversation that I converted into a web article. I wanted the article to represent Rob's life before and after SLIDERS, but I think fans will naturally be most fascinated by Rob sharing the process and deliberation behind his acting in Season 5.

http://earthprime.com/interviews/robert … looks-back

My gratitude goes to Rob and also to Temporal Flux. It's thanks to TF giving SLIDERS fans a place to gather that Rob was able to reach out to the fans.

Re: Interview - Robert Floyd Looks Back on SLIDERS!

Great article. So in depth and thorough I bet Robert appreciated this. Hoping for more!

An interesting guy!
I still have not watched Season 4 & 5 but if I do at some point I will endeavour to give him a fair shake and not prejudge his performances in them.
I wonder if he could ever be tempted back in to acting?
He seems happy in his new career and is undoubtedly successful so he does not need to or anything but I do wonder.
Acting is something of a Passion for those special few like JRD for example and Roberts investment in his performances as detailed in the interview are either that very Passion or at least an admirable amount of proffessionalism if not.

"It's only a matter of time. Were I in your shoes, I would spend my last earthly hours enjoying the world. Of course, if you wish, you can spend them fighting for a lost cause.... But you know that you've lost." -Kane-

That is interesting that you are a fan that watched the fox years and quit with the season 3 final. Wich actually isn't the worst stopping point wade and Rembrandt make it home and Quinn and Maggie continue sliding through bad movie remake worlds.

I would give season 4 and 5 a watch season 4 is better than season 3 and season 5 gets close to season 2.  Yes, Quinn, his Amish brother collin, and wade do not have endings anyone would of asked for..ooh yeah Rembrandt not so much either...but Maggie she gets a good stopping point.  The newbie sliders don't die either.  Also the budget while it looked awful in the 90's hasn't aged well but it being a 20 year show helps it look better in a weird way.  Kinda hey its an old show so my brain doesn't expect cutting edge special effects.

Hope I sold you on it...your a big enouth fan to be on the boards so might as well finish the series off its on amazon, hulu, dvd, netflix

I agree 4 and 5 are not bad. Yeah a lot of the characters have bad fates, but the episodes are fun and good on their own for the most part.

Man, I completely missed that original Robert Floyd posting!  That was a terrific article, really an eye opener.  Bill Dial was a bit polarizing but he seemed to genuinely wish to produce quality science fiction.  The Sci-Fi network group in NY were awful, sadly many are still in place there.  Just sad all the way around.  100 minutes?  Wow, you need to turn that into a podcast!

The audio quality isn't terrific. I loaded up Skype on my tablet and dialed Rob's number. I plugged an audio cable into the tablet's jack and connected that to the microphone input on my voice recorder. So, it sounds like a Skype-quality call with a few moments of distortion -- fine for conversation, but I don't know how much you'd enjoy hearing it. This also records only Rob's end of the conversation. I had to record my end on the only other recording device I had -- my smartphone. And again, the audio quality is acceptable for conversation but not great for listening.

In the end, I transcribed both sides and put it together in a PDF (that's at the end of the web article), so if you want to read a mostly unedited version, it's there. I moved some of Rob's answers around a bit -- for example, he talked about why he left his acting career *before* we started talking about "The Seer," but I decided to move that to after his wishes for Season 6. There were also a couple instances where I lost the audio, but could get the gist of what he was saying -- basically that there were a lot of freelance scripts for Season 5 because of the small writing staff and it put a lot of pressure on the few staff writers.

There's also a bit at the end of the transcript where I started crying a little.

ROB FLOYD: "Are you watching GAME OF THRONES?"
ME: "Hmm. It’s not really my thing. I’m more into shows like THE FLASH."
ROB FLOYD: "Oh, yeah, yeah. I have not seen that, I'm going to marathon that too."
ME: "But I’ve heard lots of great things about GAME OF THRONES!"
ROB FLOYD: "Yeah. You know -- the effects -- I marathoned a lot of it last night and the effects are unbelievable! And I read the books too. I was thinking of the battle scenes and thinking so much was never done with the Kromaggs."
ME: "Yeah. Sci-Fi Channel budget. What can you do, right? I guess, for me -- TV is like a friend. It’s comfort. It’s there for you at your best and worst. And sometimes it has a bad day. And sometimes it loses three-quarters of the cast and gets the budget cut by a third and is dragged out for season after season for syndication while losing everything that made it special and failing to give great actors like you the material they deserve and then it gets cancelled and goes away forever. And-and-and-and -- and that’s okay. Because everything has to."
ROB FLOYD: " ...  oh. Right. Right."

That's understandable.  I wouldn't mind listening even if it's cruddy.

Hmm. I'll see if I can edit it together. In other news:

Dear Mr. Gerrold. I recently interviewed Robert Floyd ("Mallory" from SLIDERS) and asked him: what was his favourite episode of SLIDERS? It was yours. Congratulations.

I read the interview earlier today. It's pretty darn good, enjoyed reading the whole thing. Seems like a good guy. Good actor. Hated his character on the show, but he was good. I have to admit two of the best moments on the show were his reactions to his girlfriend having multiple husbands and the other episode where he found out his girl was a famous transvestite. Classic!

Would love to see interviews like this for the other 7 Sliders too! :-) and some other recurring  characters like Lester Barrie. Shouldn't be too hard right ? :-)

Thanks again for posting this on earthprime. Really awesome.

The one thing I'm really pleased about -- I'm glad we finally dealt with that ridiculous message board rumour that Rob approached the producers and asked them to delete Quinn from Mallory. It was a groundless, unsourced, and in some ways malicious remark and I'm glad I was able to ask Rob about it so he could definitively declare that to be untrue.

I think it was a misconception.  I always felt that whether he did or not, it was probably unavoidable.  To force him to impersonate Jerry was kind of ridiculous, and he deserved his own character.  I also thought the rumor was that Floyd asked for changes very early on, which again I found hard to believe.  That was a very difficult season for writers and directors and actors.  The budget was so low, and they were forced to essentially do a stage play rather than a TV show.

I don't see where it was forced. Rob has expressed his willingness to impersonate Jerry, described his skillful preparation in doing so and he was clearly capable of doing it. And they had a great angle: he wouldn't just be a copy of Jerry because the dual-identity would mean he would be his own character. Jerry never argued with himself in one body; Jerry never played a split consciousness. Season 5 had a great character arc and the perfect actor and then they lost it for some reason.

There was some bad timing.  Even though the O'Connell's had left, the season was shot, and in the can months earlier, SciFi took forever to air the thing.  The web was loosey goosey back then.  I remember a lot of fans having no clue about Jerry until Unstuck Man aired, logging onto the Dominion board to complain.  It wasn't much longer that Floyd announced the show was cancelled, with a ton of S5 yet to air.  There was just a lot of pissed off fans, me included.  S5 didn't get a fair shake, plus it went into rerun hell TWICE.

I think Season 5 had a lot of potential. Yeah, losing Jerry was a blow. But the truth is, Jerry had mentally quit the show by Season 3 anyway. The writers found a *very* interesting way to keep Quinn on the show even without Jerry. They had a really neat character arc for Diana Davis where the plan was for her to be secretly on Geiger's side for the whole season. The Season 5 cast was the best lineup for the show since Season 1/2. Rob, Tembi, Cleavant and Kari had a really terrific sense of chemistry and all four were very strong performers. The freelance scripts were also fantastic. An interdimensional library! Mind-controlled sliding machines! A mental asylum for the imaginative! A world where caffeine is illegal! A world with the customer service experience from hell!

And then, for various reasons, it was all very badly realized onscreen. The arcs for Quinn-2 and Diana were excised. All the freelance scripts were cut down for the budget, but they were cut down so *clumsily*. And the production continued to make bad choices: cutting episodic budgets to save up for an epic finale they didn't end up filming. Renting a huge hotel set that they then had to use in every episode that drained their funds for other expenses. The production kept aiming to do what was easy. And honestly, the budget isn't an excuse: DOCTOR WHO had even less money than Season 5 and generally managed to cobble things together.

Instead of maintaining a single standing set, Season 5 should have rented studio space that could be converted to different interiors -- hotels, train stations, cafes, military bases, bunkers, hallways. Episodes should have been rewritten to exist in 2 - 3 interior locations with dialogue indicating a vast world outside the studio walls. Exterior shots would need to be filmed tightly on the actors with different backgrounds wheeled in and out. The vortex should have stayed offscreen for most of the season, or they could have made a library of really close-up shots of the vortex that could be recoloured to match other shots. The sad truth is that the Season 5 writers and producers just weren't bringing their A-game.

I love Rob, but for the fans, SLIDERS was better off cancelled. And I disagree with the fans that the cliffhanger was a slap in the face. Ending on Rembrandt leaping into the vortex was the only meaningful gift the show had left to offer: the distant hope that something better would be on the other side -- something better than what the Season 5 creators could be bothered to give us.

I never felt Jerry quit on the show.  He nor his character had good chemistry with Kari/Maggie or the now militant Rembrandt, and of course Charlie was a joke.  He played off John and Sabrina and earlier Cleavant so much better than the later cast. 

As for S5 production, yes, it was terrible.  I think Dial wrote science fiction well, but he was a terrible producer, as was just about everyone else.  They all figured the show was DOA, so they padded quite a few positions with "friends," resulting in a poor product at times.  What's interesting though is in the few in person, brief conversations I've had, those who acted on S5 seemed to be pleased with it.  It was also pretty pathetic the way they cheaped out and put Wade in a bottle in Requiem rather than hire Sabrina fully.  The revisions did not sit well with scriptwriter Michael Reeves either, who felt his script was butchered if I recall.

On Jerry -- I think he was hungover on set in Season 4. I think it was the tail-end of a downward spiral. In Vancouver, Jerry lived like a normal guy. He went to work, went to the gym, went home, lived a quiet and low-key life. His attitude to acting was always been to play himself regardless of the role. He could get away with that because he had all the technical skills (memorization, hitting his marks, meeting his cues, blocking his scenes) and because he has a natural onscreen charisma. Match that with excellent scripting from S1/S2 writers and his reverence for John Rhys-Davies and John coaching him and Quinn came off as a multifaceted character.

Then Jerry moved to LA. It became all about the night life with making the show as something to do between binge drinking sessions, an attitude shared by the producers. Jerry continued to play himself and now Quinn was a smug, flirtatious, arrogant, brash screen presence and Jerry was only occasionally in character. And by Season 4, Jerry wouldn't even play that most of the time. He is clearly hungover in "Common Ground" and "My Brother's Keeper" and I think Charlie O'Connell, later revealed to be an alcoholic, was enabling him. The scripts in Season 4 were also terrible for Quinn: only in "World Killer" and "The Alternateville Horror" is Quinn scripted as an adventurous moral crusader who is delighted by big ideas; the rest portrayed Quinn as a bland action hero.

Season 5 -- I think that because the producers weren't expecting much, they also weren't asking much. So I guess it was an easy job working on that set and people were having fun making the show even if they weren't making anything good. I mean, you look at X-FILES episodes at the time and you have really ambitious direction and scripting whereas with SLIDERS, the visuals are just people jogging around beige hallways. I don't doubt it was fun to make; it just wasn't fun to watch.

I would have liked Robert Floyd to have played Quinn from the Pilot onward.

Great interview and interesting.