Topic: Sliders Pilot opening scene

I was watching the pilot again and decided to focus in on some of the details during the room scan.  Couple things I found interesting after some further investigation.

First, the radio host's name is, of course, Day Tripper.  Day Tripper is a song by the Beatles.  Interesting fact is the Beatles played their last concert together on August 29,1966 ... get ready ... in Candlestick Park, San Francisco; Rembrandt's destination during the first episode.  Day Tripper was one of the 11 songs they performed that night.  Also, there is a line in the song that goes like this:

"She was a day tripper, a one way ticket yeah."

Obviously it foretells the group's adventures. Haha. 

Second, the quote on the Einstein picture.  I know some see this, among other things, as a possible indication that the show is not set in our world.  I don't think that is the case.  I don't think that picture attributes that quote to Einstein, opposed to the correct person, E.E. Cummings.  One thing to note is that the quote depicted on the picture is not exactly the E.E. Cummings quote anyways.

Picture ==> "Listen there's a helluva good universe next door. Let's go!"
Actual E.E. Cummings quote ==> "Listen, there's a hell of a universe next door: let's go!"

Moreover, there is a link between the quote and the book Quinn fell asleep reading.  The quote appears in the chapter 10 title of the book, Hyperspace: A Scientific Odyssey Through Parallel Universes, Time Warps and the Tenth Dimension.  The chapter begins by mentioning how Einstein's equations predicted the existence of black holes.  So, in my mind the picture of Einstein relates his predictions to the quote, not that he actually said it.

Re: Sliders Pilot opening scene

Good spotting, I'm sure Tracy did those intentionally.  He loved his easter eggs.

3 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2016-05-31 13:57:27)

Re: Sliders Pilot opening scene

hallge73 wrote:

I was watching the pilot again and decided to focus in on some of the details during the room scan.  Couple things I found interesting after some further investigation.

First, the radio host's name is, of course, Day Tripper.  Day Tripper is a song by the Beatles.  Interesting fact is the Beatles played their last concert together on August 29,1966 ... get ready ... in Candlestick Park, San Francisco; Rembrandt's destination during the first episode.  Day Tripper was one of the 11 songs they performed that night.  Also, there is a line in the song that goes like this:

"She was a day tripper, a one way ticket yeah."

Obviously it foretells the group's adventures. Haha. 

Second, the quote on the Einstein picture.  I know some see this, among other things, as a possible indication that the show is not set in our world.  I don't think that is the case.  I don't think that picture attributes that quote to Einstein, opposed to the correct person, E.E. Cummings.  One thing to note is that the quote depicted on the picture is not exactly the E.E. Cummings quote anyways.

Picture ==> "Listen there's a helluva good universe next door. Let's go!"
Actual E.E. Cummings quote ==> "Listen, there's a hell of a universe next door: let's go!"

Moreover, there is a link between the quote and the book Quinn fell asleep reading.  The quote appears in the chapter 10 title of the book, Hyperspace: A Scientific Odyssey Through Parallel Universes, Time Warps and the Tenth Dimension.  The chapter begins by mentioning how Einstein's equations predicted the existence of black holes.  So, in my mind the picture of Einstein relates his predictions to the quote, not that he actually said it.

You should post that on tracy torme's wall. I am sure he'd appreciate someone figuring it all out.

https://www.facebook.com/Tracy-Torme-224553447677483/