Re: DC Superheroes on TV (CW & HBO Max)

Supergirl -

Was there any reason why they didn't just send J'onn into battle from the beginning?  I don't know if the show has referenced how strong he's supposed to be, but he's basically Superman in the comics.  So he should've been able to handle Metallo on his own.

And why did J'onn cave on the krytonite issue?  I still think he's right!

I also thought the CW budget showed a bit in this one.  The "anti-Kryptonite" device was really awkward, and I thought the Metallo chest makeup was really odd-looking.

That being said, I still thought it was fun.  I liked the way they "wrote off" Cat, and I still thought Superman was a ton of fun.  He might not be as grounded as MoS Superman, but I still say there's a middle ground between both versions.  Being Superman would be fun.  Kara and Clark have fun on Supergirl.

They made the classic mistake of writing Superman, which is making him more alien than human. Referring to English as "your language" implies that it isn't also his first language... I tend to hate the Superman lore which has his entire culture magically zapped into his brain. They missed an opportunity to have him learn about his people from Kara.

The Metallio chest was wrinkling up at one point, which is bad. Why did they use that shot?

The rest of the episode was pretty much par for the course. The characters are just templates, barely developed. There was a spark of life when Alex got mad and went on about the way Clark abandoned Kara... But then it was dropped and everyone was back to baby talk.

Oh well.

Please be informed that the political, scientific, sociological, economic and legal views expressed in Informant's posts and social media accounts do not reflect any consensus of Sliders.tv.

Informant wrote:

They made the classic mistake of writing Superman, which is making him more alien than human. Referring to English as "your language" implies that it isn't also his first language... I tend to hate the Superman lore which has his entire culture magically zapped into his brain. They missed an opportunity to have him learn about his people from Kara.

Yeah, but I thought Man of Steel was much worse than this.  "On my world, it means hope."  Owning the language is one thing....in Man of Steel, he only knows of Krypton as a concept.  It's not his world at all.  Did that not bother you?

In the defense of that line on Supergirl, he would've had to say "in English" - if he'd said "our language" it would've been construed as being Kryptonian (since he's standing with Kara when he says it).

And I thought the chest looked bad throughout (on both actors).  I wonder if they made it, realized how bad it looked, and couldn't afford to fix it.  They should've just done a Tony Stark and had the green glow through his shirt most of the time.

In Man of Steel, Clark's line about the symbol meaning hope was just him repeating what Jor-El had told him earlier. I saw its use as part of his act (he was not supposed to be Clark Kent in that room, he is supposed to be an alien to the people watching), and also part of his excitement at having that piece of history for himself. It didn't make him more alien to me. If anything, it made him more human. Almost childlike in a weird way. He pauses and kinda smiles at the line before he says it. It's interesting.

There were definitely better ways of doing the Metallic makeup. It's just another example of the people making the show but not seeming to care about it. So much of it is just so unrelatable, it makes it hard to connect with any of it.

Please be informed that the political, scientific, sociological, economic and legal views expressed in Informant's posts and social media accounts do not reflect any consensus of Sliders.tv.

Informant wrote:

In Man of Steel, Clark's line about the symbol meaning hope was just him repeating what Jor-El had told him earlier. I saw its use as part of his act (he was not supposed to be Clark Kent in that room, he is supposed to be an alien to the people watching), and also part of his excitement at having that piece of history for himself. It didn't make him more alien to me. If anything, it made him more human. Almost childlike in a weird way. He pauses and kinda smiles at the line before he says it. It's interesting.

I mean, I see it.  I thought the whole interrogation scene, maybe because of the way it was lit, made him seem alien.  Later in the movie, he admits he was born in Kansas so I thought it was odd that he referred to Krypton as his world.  "Where I'm from" or "Where I was born" might have been a little more honest to his situation.  Maybe at that time he was trying to appear more alien, but I feel like both those lines are about equal in terms of alien-ness.

But I'm with you on this.  Clark should only embrace parts of his Kryptonian nature because at his core, he should think of himself as human.

Do all the shows need the stupid intro?  I used to think they were a nice way to start the show, but they're just annoying me now.  The Legends one seems the most forced, especially now that Sara is doing it, but they're all dumb now.

ARROW - I know they want to stick with "something else" theme but it doesn't fit anymore.  And the "I had to become the Green Arrow" line is really dumb.

FLASH - This one has bothered me for a while now, too.  The "ordinary forensic scientist" line has always bothered me because I don't think there's a lot of "ordinary forensic scientists" just running around (pun intended).  But it's also bothered me when Barry has only been the Fastest Man alive for a handful of episodes.  Most of the time, he's trying to be faster to catch up to one of his villains.  I know it's his title, but it's been unequivocally wrong most of the show's run.

SUPERGIRL - This one seems the most natural, but it's just copying the original Arrow and Flash ones.

LEGENDS - They've only had about 20 episodes, but the storyline is already confusing and dumb.  They shouldn't add any extra attention to it.  The only bonus is that it's short.

The fact that they have these little intros and then a "previously on..." segment just makes the whole thing worse.  They need to try something else.

It's their thing. I can't say they really do anything for me or greatly bother me. Occasionally it's interesting to see them change to fit something that's happened on the show because they aren't always static throughout the season, but since they don't really have theme songs, I just go with it.

Yeah, I know it's their thing.  And I've gotten to the point where I just fast forward through them most of the time.  I think because they now have a show on every night, it's all adding up in my head to be more annoying than usual.

Do they type up Supergirl scripts with their hands, or do they use sledgehammers?

I'll skip discussing their childish characters and paint by numbers political message, but I will say that the introduction of the alien bar brings us into Angel territory. That show made the same mistake, which not only destroyed the uniqueness of their main character, but sacrificed the "reality" of the story. It sounds like a fun way to bring in more aliens on paper, but in execution, it is just a bunch of extras wearing bad makeup, acting stupid.

I watch Supergirl on the CW Roku channel (it isn't primetime quality. I watch Gotham when Supergirl is actually airing on tv), so I didn't see the preview for next week until a while later.

I think I'm just going to have to call it. I'm done. I can't sit through another monster/alien/mutant fight club. I have hated this trope since the 90's. It has never been done well, and it is a sure sign that the writers have no ideas for what to do with their show, so they're going to whip out an old generic tv show script, insert their character names, and snooze through production.

Yup, I'm done. Maybe I can use this time to try out some other shows that I've been thinking of testing. Has anyone seen The Magicians? Is that any good? Or I could start watching This Is Us. People say nice things about that one.

431 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2016-10-27 14:26:01)

Informant wrote:

Yup, I'm done. Maybe I can use this time to try out some other shows that I've been thinking of testing. Has anyone seen The Magicians? Is that any good? Or I could start watching This Is Us. People say nice things about that one.

Have you checked out The Expanse, 12 Monkeys or Black Mirror?  There's not a lot out there I enjoy but the first two are solid and I've liked what I've seen of Black Mirror.

I did watch season 1 of 12 Monkeys. It was good, but I had a hard time finding time to keep up with it. I've heard good things about The Expanse and Black Mirror. I will need to watch those.

Thanks for the suggestions!

SUPERGIRL has been a lot of fun and I find the grousing about Superman saying "your language" in one sentence to be incredibly pedantic, and I say that as someone who spent two weeks trying to come up with an in-universe explanation for SLIDERS episodes airing out of order. I was enjoying the Metallo fight scenes too much to worry about the makeup, although J'onn giving up all his Kryptonite and Superman being so unhappy about the DEO having it struck me as absurd. I liked the third episode too and while I did indeed think Winn was going to be gay, I guess it's going to be Alex and the Maxwell Lord fauxmance is truly over. I found Lynda Carter's performance oddly charmless and lacking in layers, although that may have been the point. Regardless, the President's appearance finally explained why the hell J'onn was permitted to continue operating the DEO on her command back in Season 1's finale.

I think the voiceovers at the start are cool, but I say that as someone who continues to think that the SLIDERS Season 2 opening is the coolest piece of television ever created. I wonder what SLIDERS would be like with a Berlanti voiceover and since I did an X-FILES pastiche of a SLIDERS voiceover, let's have a Berlanti pastiche:

My name is Quinn Mallory. When I was in college, I created a gateway to parallel universes. But then an accident ripped me out of reality itself. Today, the world at large knows me as an ordinary engineer at a hamburger company. But secretly, my friends and I use our knowledge to protect our world and find other visitors like me. We saved the multiverse from total destruction, but in doing so, we opened all realities to new threats. And we are the only ones who know what's out there; we're the only ones with any hope of stopping them. We are the Sliders.

434 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2016-10-27 21:30:44)

Informant wrote:

I did watch season 1 of 12 Monkeys. It was good, but I had a hard time finding time to keep up with it. I've heard good things about The Expanse and Black Mirror. I will need to watch those.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Yea, finding the time is the most difficult part with these 45-minute episodes. They can be so detailed that they work best on binges, but then it can be exhausting trying to binge. 

The Black Mirror is best for one-offs though, since its pure anthology.

ireactions wrote:

I found Lynda Carter's performance oddly charmless and lacking in layers, although that may have been the point.

Man, I did too.  I thought it was really bland.  I haven't seen her in much, but it just didn't do anything for me.

I think the alien bar is lazy, but I don't think it means they're out of ideas.  If anything, I feel like they're throwing out a ton of ideas for this season.  Maybe too many, honestly.

The problem with Supergirl is that the problems add up. Once the majority of the series is on big problem, every little thing added to the problem becomes that much bigger. If Supergirl were a good show, Superman's phrasing wouldn't be as big of a problem (though I would undoubtedly still roll my eyes as yet another set of writers failing to understand the character). But the show is a mess. The plot is a mess. The characters are a mess. The visuals are a mess. And so now, I have nothing to hold onto except the complaints. Like, why does Kara suddenly feel a need to dress like the comic book version of Jimmy Olsen? Do female reporters not wear skirts or cardigans?

But it doesn't matter. There's a better version of the show in my head. I will enjoy that one. smile

This wasn't established terribly well, but Kara is trying to emulate Clark a bit more by dressing like him in her civilian life. But regardless. I'm not blind to SUPERGIRL's faults, but it has a certain earnest love for humanity and superheroes that makes leaves me untroubled by its flaws.

The Lynda Carter performance was seriously off and no reviewers seem to have picked up on how poor her acting has become. The truth is that Carter was never a great actress, but what skills she had -- being comfortable in a ridiculous outfit and projecting effortless confidence on camera -- were uniquely suited to playing Wonder Woman in a TV show as Carter's somewhat distant screen presence was suited to Wonder Woman being a stranger in a strange land.

But the President is a very different role and Carter can't be an offbeat outsider; the script requires that she be endearing and charming on sight and that she can recite hollow platitudes about hope in a completely convincing, totally earnest, utterly sincere fashion. It doesn't come off that way; her line, "How can hope be false?" gives me the impression the actress doesn't really grasp the subtleties available for her delivery; her speech made me feel like she doesn't grasp how to weigh and pace words and sentences for oratory.

This is not a role for a former model and singer who hasn't received any real training in acting, who hasn't refined her abilities with experience. For this role, production either needed to hire Carter an acting coach on how to be convincing as a politician or hire someone else -- someone like Allison Janney who can come off as an experienced, world-weary politician who can be heartfelt and truthful. Or Gina Torres, who can present authority and regality while being totally earnest. Or Dina Meyer or Carrie Anne Moss. This is a job for a real actress and Lynda Carter is awesome in many ways, but she's not an actress.

Geez, why do you always have to be such a downer?

I just wanted to seize the opportunity to say that to someone else for a change. Truth be told, I've always been more of a Bionic Woman fan anyway. smile

Another thing I liked -- they wrote Cat out really well. Obviously, it's because they were losing the actress as a regular and it wasn't a natural story direction. But it really made sense of why Cat could be so caustic and unpleasant in Season 1 despite clearly having a lot of integrity and care in her. Her exit story makes it clear: Cat was bored. She wasn't being sufficiently challenged at Catco.

As a result, she had begun to regard nearly every aspect of her work and staff with tired disdain. I wonder if it was intentional or not, but Callista Flockhart's irritated line delivery when Kara bring Cat a latte and Cat sarcastically saying "That'll be new and different" completely fits this exit plot. Did they plan it all along? (Of course not.)

Arrow - The new DA is clearly Prometheus, right?  I guess it could also be Felicity's new boyfriend, but I just get that vibe from the DA. The problem with these shows is that they can only introduce so many new characters per season, and when one is a mystery character (like Zoom, Reverse Flash, etc), there's a good chance that it's one of the new guys introduced.  It's why these reveals are usually pretty hollow.

So Talia is coming to Arrow.  That could be interesting.

442 (edited by DieselMickyDolenz 2016-11-03 12:07:41)

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

Arrow - The new DA is clearly Prometheus, right?

Probably. And I'd have put money on Malfoy turning out to be Alchemy or Savitar on Flash before the latest episode. I suppose that could still be the case, and we're being given a bit of misdirection.

DieselMickyDolenz wrote:

And I'd have put money on Malfoy turning out to be Alchemy or Savitar on Flash before the latest episode. I suppose that could still be the case, and we're being given a bit of misdirection.

My impression out of the latest episode is that they're setting up Malfoy to be the man who steps into the vacant Wells role on the team (because the current version of Wells just isn't filling that spot).

That'd be pretty cool and better than simply having "the new guy" be the season-long bad guy.

Vixen knows there are more animals than just gorillas, right?  I think 90% of her "animal powers" have been a gorilla.

They probably don't want to invest in more computer models. smile

This week was pretty lame. Especially Jefferson. First, comparing the experience to black people today to the experience of black people in 1863 was just laughable. I know that a lot of people do that in real life (a lot of people compare everyone they don't like to Nazis too. All sense of scale is gone) but Jax just looked more stupid than he should be. And he looked stupid again at the end, pausing for a moment to really own the moment of liberation. Dude was oppressed for five minutes and he is telling the actual slaves to hold on a sec. There could have been some real depth and meaning to this story, but it just seemed like a hollow attempt at something vaguely deep.

I do like Nate though. He is well acted and has a fun personality. He would probably be a good match for Sara, but they seem to have forgotten that she is bi.

I thought the zombie idea was lame, but I thought they actually missed an opportunity to tell a real story.  What if the Union officers, not the Confederate ones, got bitten?  Instead of telling another stereotypical "all Southerners were racists" story, what if they'd flipped it on its head?

Imagine the time pirate lands and bites the Union officers.  Instead of "the Confederacy wins the war", the more realistic scenario is that the zombie apocalypse happens (which fits in with Stein's paranoia).  Because, you know, the confederates probably wouldn't have been able to win the war either since their soldiers are all mindless zombies.

So now the Legends have to work with the confederates.  Jax and Amaya would be outraged, but they would have to figure it out.  The confederate soldiers might be outraged to have to fight with Jax and Amaya, but they'd get over it when they realized how much danger they were in.  Jax and Amaya would learn that the confederates were people, and the confederates would have a greater understanding of how equal everyone really is.  There could still be the slave stuff if they wanted (confederate soldiers kidnap Jax and return him to a plantation, etc), but it wouldn't all be so cliche.

It seems like most people work off of what my brother calls "place mat history"... y'know, the history that you'd get from a kid's place mat at a restaurant like Denny's or whatever. It's a vague, shallow, not entirely accurate representation of the truth. So when you bring up the more complicated history, people act like you're a Klan member or something. This severely limits the storytelling in shows like this, because they're telling a fraction of a story that's already been cut to pieces.

Amaya isn't American. She could have had a totally different view of those events (not pro-slavery, but more detached). Hell, her people could have been partly responsible! That would have been awkward. But yeah, they didn't want to explore stories or characters. They wanted to stand on the stage and show how powerful they were for somewhat acknowledging history in a vague sort of way, and then they wanted people to tear up, pat them on the head, and call the episode "important", which is what usually happens in Hollywood.

It's a shame. The story could have been really different and interesting.

Well, I mean it's easier to believe that all Germans were evil in World War 2, that all Muslims are evil, and that all Confederates were evil.  It makes us feel like the wars we've fought were worth it.  Justified.  Glorious. 

But easy isn't always necessarily the truth.  I wouldn't expect a CW Superhero show (especially the fourth one in terms of ratings/success) to conquer such a controversial topic, but it might be the perfect type of show to handle something like that.

It would be a good show to tackle the subject, given that a large number of their crew members are criminals and murderers. smile

They've extended Legends of Tomorrow four more episodes.  First, I thought 13 was fine for them, and I wonder if 17 is going to be too many.

Second, I've always wondered how that worked.  Episode 10 of the season went into production two days ago per Marc Guggenheim.  I imagine the first ten episodes were building toward, what I would have to think, a conclusion by episode 13.  So would an extension this late in the game mean episodes 13-16 are just going to be filler?  Or are they going to drag (original) episodes 11-13 into (new) episodes 11-17?  Or is this something that they've planned for all along (where the producer tells the CW that they need 17 episodes to tell their story, and it just got approved), and if it hadn't worked, they would've actually crammed episodes 11-17 into 11-13?

I'm sure they have no idea what they're doing. The season is so uneven, they could throw in a few more episodes without anyone noticing.

I just hate that this could push iZombie back even more.

But do you know how this would work on a perfectly run show?  If something like Mr. Robot got additional episodes?  Did the show ask for them because they need to tell more story, or did the network ask for them to fill space and the writers have to adjust?

I noticed that the big crossover event begins November 28th. I find it odd that they wouldn't have staged it during November sweeps.

Are November sweeps still a thing?  I've seen less and less coverage of that in recent years, and networks don't seem to place their big event shows during those times.

It's still a thing. Still when advertising rates are influenced. This "November" the dates run from October 27 – November 23. Maybe with all the election coverage, there's been less room for big event programming.

These days, sweeps is big, but the "winter finale" is also a very hyped event for a lot of series.

CHUCK's fourth season got extended. The original finale was Chuck proposing marriage to Sarah in the hospital. The extended episode order resulted in the writers coming up with a new 11-episode arc -- essentially a fifth season of the show, except because it served as a sequel to the first 13 episodes' storylines, it still felt like part of Season 4. So Timothy Dalton's defeat in episode 13 led to episodes 14 - 24 introducing Timothy Dalton's daughter and bringing Dalton back as an imprisoned antagonist.

Really happy with SUPERGIRL's take on Alex's sexuality. I thought "Crossfire" was really fun, but a lot of production issues are still apparent, like Kara and Mon-El loudly discussing their secrets in a crowded newsroom (unless the joke is that the newsroom is so busy that they have no need to worry anyone bother to listen in). That said, pretty much every superhero show on the air is a bit detached from physical reality.

ARROW is also going very well this year. I think the problem with Seasons 3 - 4 was that there were too many fantasy elements in addition to the crime in the city stories. The earthquake machine of Season 1 was crazy but workable. The supersoldiers of Season 2 were a bit more detached from reality, yet effective. The key is that these threats exist on an extremely physical, ground-level setting.

But with Season 3, you had immortal leaders of assassin cults, two separate methods of resurrecting dead characters, bafflingly unmotivated characters (R'as is obsessed with Oliver because... ? He wants to destroy Star City because... ?) and then you have Brandon Routh playing Iron Man and flying around in a metal suit.

With Season 4, your villain has magical powers. Somewhere around there, Felicity has become a perfect fantasy woman. The fantasy elements got out of control, although I understand it's hard to tell what's too much and what's not when your lead character's secret identity doesn't wear a mask. I think this season has found the right balance: Ragman's surrounded by otherwise street-level vigilantes, Prometheus fits into ARROW's world of bows and arrows rather than THE FLASH's world of magic and mutants. Church is a thug rather than a faith leader. Felicity has been de-romanticized significantly.

FLASH has recovered nicely from "Flashpoint," but the loss of Tom Cavanaugh as an effective mentor is really unfortunate. Harrison Wells has always been the father figure of the series and it's tough to adjust to him playing the annoying cousin who tests your patience and whose eventual departure is a relief. Wells in Season 1 was like Arturo: the glue of the group. The wise mentor who was too good to be true. And the fact that it was all a lie was heartbreaking.

Wells in Season 2 was a genuine leader and father figure, but with a bitter, caustic edge that was redeemed by his talent and compassion. I would rather keep him around.

Is Earth One Wells still alive?  Since Thawne never killed Barry's mom and didn't escape, shouldn't Wells still be alive?  I know the show is supposedly saying that Seasons 1 and 2 still happened the way we saw (for the most part), but I don't see how that's possible.

I agree that Arrow has rebounded pretty well, and I still think Supergirl is fun.  Flash has been pretty good, but I also worry about losing Wells as a mentor.  And having him be more comic relief.  I'm sure Cavanaugh is having fun, but are we going to have a different Wells every season?

461 (edited by DieselMickyDolenz 2016-11-14 08:40:28)

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

Is Earth One Wells still alive?  Since Thawne never killed Barry's mom and didn't escape, shouldn't Wells still be alive?  I know the show is supposedly saying that Seasons 1 and 2 still happened the way we saw (for the most part), but I don't see how that's possible.

Thawne did kill Barry's mom. At the end of the season premiere, Barry took Thawne back to let him Kill his mom. It was the only way to undo the Flashpoint timeline. The timeline we're in unfolded slightly differently than the original, which is why we have Killer Frost and Cisco's brother is dead, but Nora Allen is dead. Presumably, Thawne went on to kill Wells, take his place, and create the accelerator accident.

Dang it, I mistyped that, and I think I'm mis-remembering what happened (or time travel is confusing me).  In my memory of Flashpoint, Thawne sees Barry in the present (as himself) and then runs off.  Next thing we know, he's working with Darhk on Legends of Tomorrow.

Now in the original timeline, Thawne immediately runs away (after killing Barry's mom) and kills Wells in the same night.  Is the Flashpoint timeline saying that Thawne killed Barry's mom....time-traveled to mock Barry....then helped Darhk....is presumably defeated by the Legends...and *then* goes to kill Wells and cause the particle accelerator explosion?  Or is the Legends stuff before he goes back to kill Barry's mother?

*Head explodes*

Yeah, they haven't exactly been clear about any of that. I don't think they have an answer, to be honest. In the original timeline, Thawne lost his speed and couldn't time travel on his own. I'd forgotten about Thawne mocking Barry in the present, doing it in the past would have made more sense. Still, it's pretty clear that somehow Thawne ended up needing to kill Wells and turn Barry into the Flash the same way it originally occurred, or at least close enough to it.

Yeah, maybe Legends will clean up the timeline a bit (where Thawne survives and goes back to kill Wells), but I won't hold my breath about that.

"Flashpoint" was a terrible, incoherent, confusing episode and I'm not surprised that Slider_Quinn21 got lost. In terms of what subsequent episodes indicate: after Thawne killed Nora Allen and then mocked Barry that the present would be different, he sped off -- only for his speed force to deplete from his body, just as it did in the original timeline. As a result, the Season 1 - 2 timeline unfolds as we saw but with differences where events and outcomes that depended on random chance experience a second round of variability.

The reason why this does not come through properly: "Flashpoint" has Thawne taunt Barry and then speed off, leaving it completely unclear if he engages in some other villainy or if he loses his speed as he did in the original timeline due to too many time jumps. This is also problematic because the episode that showed Thawne losing his speed in the year 2000 didn't really provide a strong rationale for why his speed vanished, and if the jump to 2000 ran him nearly dry, he shouldn't have had any speed left in "Flashpoint."

I honestly can't believe "Flashpoint" aired the way it did. It should have run in a two hour timeslot. As for Thawne's appearance in LEGENDS -- I'm assuming up to this point that we're seeing the Reverse Flash *before* he killed Barry's mother and got stranded in the 21st century.

And I can see how that could be possible.  The only thing that makes me question it is the fact that Thawne and Darhk are both talking about altering their destinies.  Darhk is talking about his death (at Oliver's hands) because Sara just told him.  I assumed that Thawne found out about his death and wants to avoid it. 

Now the character is all about being concerned about the future so he could easily be talking about any other destiny.  But there's been enough confusing parts of it that I'm honestly confused.

ireactions is correct: Flashpoint shouldn't have aired in the way it did.

Well, in Season 1, Thawne said that he and the Flash were enemies who had fought across time and he'd hoped that murdering Nora Allen would traumatize Barry so much that he'd never become the Flash. Thawne's goal has always been to alter his own destiny, although when Barry asked Thawne to explain why he hated Barry so, Thawne replied, "It doesn't matter." This would suggest that all of Thawne's adventures have been to alter his fate of being Barry Allen's antagonist whether it's through killing Barry or changing his timeline.

Season 2 establishes that Thawne's motives are out of jealousy. He was a fan of the Flash, but when travelling back in time to meet him, Thawne discovered history remembered him as his hero's greatest enemy and Thawne's love for Barry became hatred. So, pretty much anything he does in terms of time travel can be considered trying to alter history, alter his destiny.

Yeah, we'll see.  It's weird that Legends will be responsible for making a big chunk of The Flash make sense.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/38588 … e#/slide/1

They're moving Legends to Tuesday to pair with the Flash. 

AND HEY, LOOK, THEY MOVED SUPERNATURAL smile

And I checked, the ratings for all the series look to be down.  Their most recent episode:

Supergirl - 2.35 million US viewers
Flash - 2.77
Arrow - 1.95
Legends - 1.77

So Flash is still number one but down quite a bit.  Supergirl is (obviously) down from where it was on CBS, and both Arrow and Legends are falling into scary territory. 

For comparison, Supernatural had 1.70 for their latest episode.  Vampire Diaries had 1.00.  Frequency (on the bubble) had 1.05.  So I guess it isn't "cancelled" territory on any of them.

471 (edited by DieselMickyDolenz 2016-11-16 16:06:59)

FWIW, Frequency isn't getting a full season order. Neither is No Tomorrow. I guess it's still possible to get canceled on the CW after all.

http://deadline.com/2016/11/frequency-n … 201855687/

OK, so neither has technically been canceled yet, but realistically they're dead shows walking.

I didn't expect either one to get full seasons. Frequency's arc revolved around the 13 episode order (that's the timeline for when her mother is supposed to be taken/killed). No Tomorrow is good, but they needed to make room for other shows.

Of the two, No Tomorrow is probably the better show. But I'll just be happy to get iZombie back eventually..

DieselMickyDolenz wrote:

FWIW, Frequency isn't getting a full season order. Neither is No Tomorrow. I guess it's still possible to get canceled on the CW after all.

Well, I meant none of the Arrowverse shows were in cancelled territory.  I'm guessing one of them would have to drop below 1MM viewers to get cancelled, although I wouldn't mind seeing Arrow or Legends drop off after this season.

And I'd like Legends to do something next year either way.

Stephen Amell reveals: he hated Season 4 as much as Informant!
http://www.cbr.com/arrows-amell-explain … t-with-s4/

From the most recent episode of Flash, I'm surprised H.R.'s disguise device didn't alarm the team more than it did.  After all, it turned out badly the last time they saw a Harrison Wells with a false face.  Even with H.R., how do we know which face is really the disguise?

I also can't help but notice that every device H.R. has is shaped like a wand.  He even carries a drum stick around with him (which one could argue is wand-like).  The Flash villain Abra Kadabra still hasn't made an appearance yet...

Yeah, I hadn't thought about that, but for as suspicious as Wells has been, I'm surprised that there wasn't more of a deal about the face-swapping (and the "retina-altering device").  It was also weird that Wells didn't stay and vet his doppelganger a little more.

One thing I forgot to mention - H.R.'s idea may have been a nice bit of foreshadowing. A Star Labs museum wouldn't really make much sense as a cover for team Flash, but what about a Flash museum?

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Flash_Museum

The Flash museum has been a staple of Flash lore for decades, and it's always housed trophies, working villain weapons and even the actual cosmic treadmill for when Flash needs to use it.  The Flash museum in the comics is very much like Star Labs is on the show; Cisco and co just haven't dressed it up for the public yet.

ireactions wrote:

Stephen Amell reveals: he hated Season 4 as much as Informant!
http://www.cbr.com/arrows-amell-explain … t-with-s4/

Nice to hear him say it, and of course I agree with him. Fortunately, I think the show has been much better this year. I actually like the new recruits more than the Roy, Thea, Laurel team. Mostly because Oliver is leading them and not taking a vote whenever a decision needs to be made.

Supergirl --

Got bored. Thought about the upcoming crossover and figured that maybe the show would be better if I watched a few episodes really close together.

It didn't. It's just so bad. It's like they took scripts from other Superman shows and movies, and put them into a machine that now randomly generates Supergirl scripts. And it's so needlessly bad. It could have been so good!

The show is a lot like the Lois and Clark type of tv writing. It's fun when it's some silly show from the early 90's that I can enjoy because TV really didn't do much better back then. But times have changed. There is no reason for this show to be as bad as it is. There's no reason to be playing the Lex/Clark/Lionel dynamic with Lena/Kara/Brenda Strong. There's no reason to have Kara walking around in the DEO in her Kara clothes, or in an alien bar in her Kara clothes. There's no reason why they should have an alien bar, and aliens walking around on the street with blue skin, and yet act as though Kara is something special because she's an alien (this is the mistake they made with Angel, and it's still a mistake here).

An this "Alex is a lesbian!" story is so tired and played out, and has no place taking up so much screen time on a show like this. If they'd just had her start kissing that other woman, I don't think anyone would have even cared. It's not like the character was super well developed in the first place.

It's frustrating to me, because the show doesn't need to be bad. It really doesn't. I just don't think the writers care about it enough to take it seriously, so they're just mimicking what other writers have done in the past.

The Flash episode of Invasion was pretty entertaining.

I will start by saying that I was really doubtful about bringing aliens into the Arrowverse. We know how well magic went over, and the aliens are handled so incredibly poorly on Supergirl that is looked like a recipe for disaster. But taken as a total side-story, outside of the actual show plotlines, it was pretty cool to see all of those characters together, handling a 50's style invasion plot.

Supergirl was so much more enjoyable outside of her own show! The foundation of her show and the entire execution is so very wrong, but when you take her out of that world and put her with these other characters... Wow. The difference was remarkable. She really should move to this world. What if she gets banished instead of Mon-El?

Has anyone else noticed how Flashpoint changed Sara from being bisexual to being into girls only, and in a "eyes are up there, pal" kind of way?

Flashpoint really did make a mess. Will they fix it?

Also, all I can see when watch HR now is the magic wand. Thanks, TF smile