Re: Reboots: The Return of Sliders (?), Quantum Leap, and Other Properties

So he is the literal definition of a "Gray Man", the best type of spy that goes unremarked and blends in.

"It's only a matter of time. Were I in your shoes, I would spend my last earthly hours enjoying the world. Of course, if you wish, you can spend them fighting for a lost cause.... But you know that you've lost." -Kane-

IREACTIONS: "Well. I can imagine Torme *saying* Wade is dead."

CEZ: "You mean he says she's dead, but the plan is to surprise us and have her alive, but we need to wait and watch it?"

IREACTIONS: "I can imagine the show starting with Wade being dead. Then having Wade turn up alive if Sabrina guest-stars."

I got an explaination that can work that doesn't involve Wade being dead. If Sabrina Lloyd is only available to do guest appearances/reccuring roles then you can have it be that she decided not to go sliding with them in the pilot (for some important reason) and then we run into doubles of her throughout the show

When not in class, did he accidentally solve murder mysteries?  I bet he did.

He looks to me like the guy who screwed around most of his life and didn't give school much of a chance but then his 40s came along and he needed to make money so he went to study physics in college. I bet he works at Doppler Computers with Quinn and Wade.

Well, it was a highly exclusive advanced class for "the brightest of the bright," as Arturo put it. Anyone there had a genius level intellect. Or the paperwork to say so.

omnimercurial wrote:

So he is the literal definition of a "Gray Man", the best type of spy that goes unremarked and blends in.

Interesting! I used to read THE HARDY BOYS CASEFILES when I was a kid and a recurring character was The Gray Man, a short, balding, nondescript man who seemed to vanish into crowds as an indistinct and near-anonymous figure. He was an agent of a clandestine government agency known only as "The Network," and he appeared to the Hardy Boys either to warn them off a case that involved national security (only for them to get involved anyway) or to assign them to a case of national importance (because when the US government's first in espionage operatives was naturally two teenaged boys).

In fact, the description in the books of The Gray Man / Mr. Gray / Edward Gray / Arthur Gray is strangely close to Montague.

Is Montague not only a Gray Man? Is he The Gray Man?

We shall soon find out.

185 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2021-10-19 17:55:50)

Anyone see those star trek fan films?  Jon Povill even wrote and  directed one of them.

I'm starting to think it's time to do a Sliders return "off the books". No use or the title Sliders.  No use of even the character names.  But a script written by Tracy, audio recorded on mp3 recorders on ones phone by our core four all from their homes around the world.  And produced by fans into a 20 to 40 minute audio drama in which the sliders get home.  Universal wouldn't come after it if it was just informally released on sliders social channels.  I think the actors would do it for the fans. I think Tracy woiud consider it as well. 

This assumes of course universal gives Tracy their pass on his discussions with them on a revival series.

I think that as fans, we have accomplished anything and everything that could possibly be achieved with SLIDERS via unofficial fan works. We don't have fan films, but we have fan scripts and fan novellas which, given our numbers, is very impressive.

At this point, if SLIDERS can't come back officially through Tracy, we don't need to do anything more. We don't own this property and we can only steward it to an extent and we have reached that upper limit and surpassed it by now.

It's really up to Tracy and NBCU at this moment in 2021; our patronage has taken this TV show from 1995 as far as we can without actually having a TV show.

187 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2021-10-20 13:19:08)

ireactions wrote:

I think that as fans, we have accomplished anything and everything that could possibly be achieved with SLIDERS via unofficial fan works. We don't have fan films, but we have fan scripts and fan novellas which, given our numbers, is very impressive.

At this point, if SLIDERS can't come back officially through Tracy, we don't need to do anything more. We don't own this property and we can only steward it to an extent and we have reached that upper limit and surpassed it by now.

It's really up to Tracy and NBCU at this moment in 2021; our patronage has taken this TV show from 1995 as far as we can without actually having a TV show.

I don't think we have to do anything more but my sense is all the creatives involved would be up for it.

It took a long time for Tracy to get over the trauma he suffered on the original series and how he was marginalized. But all the cheerleading from fans, from John, Jerry,  cleavant.. I think allowed him to move back into a creative head space around it and push some of these issues aside and feel good about the original sliders core.  I also think JRD coming around and even Sabrina developing some good feelings lately indicative that they appreciate what they achieved, they appreciate each other and they appreciate the fans.

And Jerry would be up for something like that if he knew the doors were closed.   I think they all would want to give the characters and the fans a proper and deserving send off.

So yea it's not so much about what we as fans need to do to create content but I think this time it's about recognizing the feeling that all of the original creatives have and perhaps suggesting an outlet to channel it.

I feel like John, Jerry etc might look the other way and do it on "the low" and Tracy might want to do it because he has always appreciated how fans have stuck with the series to this day.  If universal says no he frankly might feel it's something he can offer (like he almost gave earthprime a story a few years back).

I don't think we need this but if they'd like to do it then it would be cool to do.

I've seen many of the fan Trek films, and for awhile they were really cool.  However, they had too many awful amateur actors in them working with Koenig or Takei or whoever.  There were a few that were REALLY good that only featured working actors. 

Anyway, Cabby I don't think Tracy has trauma from the original run of the series.  He fought with the network quite a bit, and I think he was often kind of like stuck in a crappy job with idiots for bosses.  Like most Hollywood writer/creators he seems to jump around a lot, in fact he admitted to having given up on projects he should have fought for.  That's kind of been his M.O.  Let's hope this reboot isn't one of them, although he doesn't have much of an alternative should NBCU fully deny his project.  They own it.

189 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2021-10-20 13:20:09)

Grizzlor wrote:

Anyway, Cabby I don't think Tracy has trauma from the original run of the series.

I say it for a few reasons but if you've heard him go into details either peckinpaugh stuff, that was really hard for him.  Tracy isn't a type A personality like a lot of showrunners, at least back then, could be. In other words he has less asshole in him, and it didn't always do well with power accumulation or jockeying in those environments.

I think the experience was frustrating for him but once it got to peckinpah and the guardian, that's when it became super personal.

I have heard some more stuff from a former crew member helping shape some of my thoughts here but I want to leave that out.

As far as sliders coming back, I think we all know it's pretty unlikely.  It would be great if peacock took a chance but... well you know.  It's not like 2012 or even 2015.  It's 2021.  I hope to see it but won't get hopes up.

What has been beautiful about the last couple of years has been seeing bitter JRD talk nicely about sliders again.  Ask for fans to help and even emailing the CEO of universal himself. 

It's been nice to see Sabrina positively acknowledge it.  After she went through her own trauma.  I don't think she had good feelings about it for awhile.

It's been nice to see Jerry and his revival attempts.  And seeing him get together with Cleavant again to talk possibilities.

And it's been nice to see Tracy not just look at all the bad stuff but be able to think about the good stuff. 

So in some ways we've had a little revival.  If the group ever sees the probable writing on the wall (that universal won't green light them) i could see them willing to participate in something Tracy has written and put together with no character names or show title... and just released for the fan groups.  Sound effects on an audio drama doesn't take a genius and they can easily record dialogue on a cell phone mp3 player in an hour.  Send a quick email from LA, New Zealand, Africa/Canada. 

We don't need it but if Tracy had someting written or in mind... everyone might as well do it.

Then again maybe the actors would be more by-the-book than I think.

Anyway it's just an idea smile

190 (edited by ireactions 2021-10-20 15:22:53)

I don't know if Grizzlor has interacted with Torme, but RussianCabbie has had at least one lengthy phone call with Torme and if RussianCabbie finds Torme traumatized by Seasons 1 - 3, I'm inclined to take his word for it.

In terms of unofficial works and participation, I find that Torme has a history of ultimately stepping back from such endeavours and I consider it completely understandable. In 2009, Torme began a repeated cycle of events: he would interact with a specific fan, then disappear. He promised EarthPrime.com, over Facebook, a new SLIDERS screenplay, a series finale for SLIDERS. He wrote about one-quarter of an outline (and with a story idea he'd contemplated in 2000). After a few months, Torme deleted his Facebook account and ceased all communication with EarthPrime.

Four years later, in 2013, Torme allowed his number to be purchased/located by a fan whom I shall refer to as "Stephen Jensen" (because the real name is easily searched and identifiable and I don't wish to embarrass anyone). Jensen declared to SLIDERS fans that he was going to get Torme to revive SLIDERS with this phone call. Jensen phoned him and proceeded to blanket Torme in a pitch for a remake of Season 4 in which Wade would be a Kromagg villain and the Colin spy plot and the search for Kromagg Prime and the revelation of the Earth Prime in "Genesis" as a sham would be fulfilled in its entirety. Torme gently explained to Jensen: NBCUniversal holds the rights to SLIDERS, the series creator only owns a small percentage and cannot greenlight a revival.

In addition, Torme said he was unfamiliar with Season 4, didn't know what this search for Kromagg Prime was about, and didn't know the Colin character, nor would he be keen on remaking 1998 episodes in the year 2013. Jensen insisted that a remake of Season 4 would be brilliant and that Torme should do a run of episodes focused on a Kromagg war and produce a remake of "Revelations," blatantly ignoring Torme's explanation that the co-creator alone cannot produce new episodes of SLIDERS.

Torme ended the call by saying that unless Jensen had an agent, Torme could not continue the conversation. Jensen then asked SLIDERS fans to get him an agent to have more phone calls of this nature with Torme, but Torme changed his number.

Can't imagine why.

In 2014, RussianCabbie had his phone call with Torme. RussianCabbie handled it well and listened intensely and did not deluge Torme in fan matters unless they were of actual relevance to Torme. Torme, during this phone call, shared how he lost out on millions of dollars for I AM LEGEND because he'd thrown out his script at an earlier stage of the development process, thinking the movie wouldn't happen, only for his draft to be used as a basis for the eventual movie and with Torme unable to prove his contributions and missing out on payment and credit (aside from being named a co-producer).

RussianCabbie felt that boundaries and politeness did not encourage another phone call and Torme would change his number and become unreachable again.

Why did Torme make repeatedly himself available and then abruptly remove his availability? I don't know for sure, but it's a pattern and I don't find fault with it; it looks to me that SLIDERS will only hold Torme's interest if he is being paid to work on it and that is completely reasonable to me.

I would also speculate that Torme's sudden withdrawals may have also had something to do with the health issues he had around 2016 and up to about 2020. He may have wanted to keep fans out of his personal life and crises; he didn't share these difficulties until describing heart surgery in a 2021 podcast that has gone offline. He lifted that veil on his own terms, but he had and has every right to his privacy.

Why didn't he come through on his EarthPrime project? Tracy Torme is a professional screenwriter and the creator of SLIDERS and it may be inappropriate to expect Torme to write a screenplay for free; yes, he offered, but I don't feel that fans should hold him to that (and we didn't).

If Torme wants to do it and comes through, that's great, but he hasn't before. And really, Torme shouldn't have to engage in labour at his own expense to promote an NBCUniversal property in a fashion that will not see him compensated financially for his time, work and effort while raising the profile of an NBCUniversal copyright that would get them increased exposure and home media sales and streaming figures. If Torme is writing SLIDERS scripts, NBCU needs to pay for them.

In contrast, fans writing fanfic doesn't earn NBCU any money even in a roundabout way.

Realistically, I think it is unlikely you can ever count on getting a screenplay from a professional screenwriter unless you pay them for it; the only free script anyone will ever get out of Torme is I AM LEGEND (and that should never have happened).

For a professional writer, paid screenwriting is always going to come first and fanfic screenwriting and unpaid appearances will likely be a 40th or 50th priority. I think the only way you will really get more SLIDERS stories from Torme is for NBCUniversal to pay him to make them. And if my speculation is true, I think that's fair.

191 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2021-10-20 17:21:30)

I think the first couple of seasons were tough for tracy but season 3 and dealing with peckinpah is what was really something that was hard and was the lasting taste he had.

Tracy is indeed very fan friendly... just today he did another episode of "The Prisoner" rewatch with a podcaster on youtube who is a sliders fan.

I also noticed how he said he'd never do a woke version of Sliders or something cookie cutter to chase where hollywood is going.  I don't think he's at a stage in his life where he's driven by money, and I think moreso just interesting things.

He does have a fully written pilot he did for the pitch so maybe if there's not a go, he'll find a way to get it to a sliders fan site, as he's shared some of his other concepts in the past.

192 (edited by ireactions 2021-10-20 19:40:15)

Torme is nice to fans. I'd agree with that.

However, I haven't seen Torme give away his writing for free -- nor would I ask him to, nor would I hold him to his past promises to do so. I don't expect plumbers to fix my pipes unpaid; I don't expect technicians to repair my fridge for a thank you. If Torme's pilot pitch is rejected, I wouldn't expect him to put his pilot script on the internet. It'd be nice of him to do so, it'd be welcome -- but I wouldn't find fault with him preferring to keep it to himself, conceivably to repurpose the ideas in some other project he can sell, etc..

193 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2021-10-20 19:41:48)

ireactions wrote:

Torme is nice to fans. I'd agree with that.

However, I haven't seen Torme give away his writing for free -- nor would I ask him to, nor would I hold him to his past promises to do so. I don't expect plumbers to fix my pipes unpaid; I don't expect technicians to repair my fridge for a thank you. If Torme's pilot pitch is rejected, I wouldn't expect him to put his pilot script on the internet. It'd be nice of him to do so, it'd be welcome -- but I wouldn't find fault with him preferring to keep it to himself, conceivably to repurpose the ideas in some other project he can sell, etc..

Agreed.  It's not anything I certainly would expect or think he somehow owes anyone.  What I'm getting at though is I think he might have interest in doing something informal like that under the right circumstances.

But it's something that only really becomes relevant if his talks with universal don't lead to anything.

Torme's S3 experience was not traumatic, it was stressful due to his father's ill health.  He explained very clearly, he tried meeting with Peckinpah, who blew him off, and then poo-poo'd the show.  Last straw was getting his criticism for The Guardian, so he basically gave up.  It's my opinion, but I never took his recollections as traumatic.  Tracy knows the business well, he knows when something is out of his control and when it's best to just step aside. 

For years, years, he wouldn't divulge what Heat of the Moment script was about, being more angry than anything else.  He's also a professional, and if you hear what he has to say about a certain non-Sliders project that involved potential lawsuits, you'll know that he is not going to be interested in doing anything that might be considered improper. 

Lastly, again, the man wants to work, if this reboot falls through, I'm sure he'll move onto another project.  That's what he does.  It's a cool thought, but honestly unless he were restarting a comic book series or publishing a Sliders novel, something commercially available I myself wouldn't be interested and I think neither would he.

I agree with Grizzlor about Tracy.

But, I also have to say that prior to the work he's done for the Return/Reboot, he seemed negative about the show and confused why the fans would stick with a show that had "jumped the shark".

But now he seems a lot more positive about the show and the fans commitment to it. To the point that he wanted to voice his appreciation for them. No matter what the outcome of this endeavor maybe.

JWSlider3

RussianCabbie talked to Torme and thinks Torme had post traumatic slide syndrome. JWSlider3 refutes this and also talked to Torme.

I'm going to split the difference and say that Torme was not eager to revisit an obnoxious, annoying, rage-inducing period of his life in 2014 but is significantly more enthused as of 2020.

Finally had time to listen to the Torme/Zicree livestream. I only listened to the audio during a two hour drive; I didn't watch the video, instead extracting an MP3 from it. Tracy Torme's thoughts were fascinating, thoughtful, filled with insight and true vision. I am excited to see what he would do with a SLIDERS revival and trust that his reasons for presumably killing off Wade are well-considered (not that I think he would really kill Wade, he'd just have her presumed dead until Sabrina is willing to appear). And I also trust that his purpose in having the Professor absent from the series is a means to address what Davies may or may not be willing or able on a physical level.

I was not impressed with the hosts themselves and it was for the best that Torme and Zicree effectively took over as hosts. I was very impressed with Zicree's patience, tact, gentleness and kindness in multiple areas.

I found it obnoxious that the hosts claimed that Zicree was an "apologist" for STAR TREK DISCOVERY and PICARD as though no sensible person could enjoy those shows. I was impressed at Zicree gently saying that while he reviewed those shows and gave mixed opinions of them, he had no doubt that the creators behind those shows were talented, devoted and that their tastes or approach to the STAR TREK storytelling engine just didn't mesh with his own and that he would never conflate insulting creators with criticizing their product.

I was further impressed by Zicree describing his work on Season 4, touching on how "some producers" were not interested in reaching high standards of art with television and simply concerned with meeting airdates and cared more about quantity of scripts rather than quality; Zicree kindly noted that he worked on 19 of the Season 4 scripts, but confessed that he refused to return for Season 5 because he didn't want to work for Peckinpah anymore but didn't attack Peckinpah beyond that. He was also very generous in describing Bill Dial's talent and historical knowledge when we know from Temporal Flux that Dial loathed Zicree.

There was a point in the livestream where one of the hosts asked an asinine, incoherent, incomprehensible question. He said that he felt SLIDERS had done something unique that he'd never seen in a show before where a theme in one episode, like trains, would then be present in the next episode so that if the story involved a train in one episode, there would be a train in the next and could Torme talk about it? The host specified that he couldn't actually specify an example of this supposedly unique aspect of the show expect to say it wasn't actually a train.

Torme didn't answer the question, either because he was at a loss or because he had connection issues and mercifully never heard it. Zicree spun into it with the trademark Zicree skill; he was sweet, kind and thoughtful in saying that he wasn't sure about "trains," but that shows often had to make use of the same locations and often the same sets across multiple episodes, adjusting them to be different settings even if they were physically the same settings. He discussed the Chandler Hotel, some of his ambitions for using the set, a search for stock footage, and how locations were always something to struggle with on any show and on any budget. Zicree took a nonsensical question and rather than be confrontational or critical, he turned the conversation towards discussing an practical production that he found interesting and he offered great perspective on the matter.

Tracy remarked that he himself had been considered "difficult" during and after SLIDERS; maybe for any future project, SLIDERS or not, Tracy should partner with Zicree and let Zicree do all the talking.

I was deeply touched by Zicree's conduct and will, going forward, try to be as nice as he was here.

198 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2021-11-04 11:15:09)

sad

https://twitter.com/SlidersFanBlog/stat … 8743692298

Pneumonia, gahhhhh

smile

https://twitter.com/GilBavel/status/1456502207566827521

I tried to watch the Zicree and Tormee interview, but the host was very offputting I agree. Sadly I found him so obnoxious in the first few minutes that I could not force myself to continue listening.

I am not a fan at all of Picard or of Discovery, despite that though I do agree that content and creators need to be set apart lest one taint the other.

My Grandad was the main Male influence in my life and he spent much of my childhood teaching me good conduct by example, he often put on old Movies from the Era of the 40's and 50's, things like Ben Hurr, Spartacus etc and he loved those movies.

That said.... My Grandad despised Kirk Douglas.

My Grandad worked hard as a boy and suffered violence and abuse from his own Father, often protecting his Brother and Sister from him. He worked as a Farmer in Sicily and later as a Miner in the UK.

He described Kirk Douglas as unwholesome. He said that he reminded him of his own Father, yet found it difficult to explain exactly why or how, as there was no physical resemblence at all.

There is recent leaks to the Public of some of Kirk Douglas's actions that apparently have long been circulated unofficially, such as a brutal assault on a horrifyingly young Natalie Wood.

It all feels very reminiscent to the coming to light of the actions of the British paedophile and rapist Jimmy Saville.

My Grandfather did not live to learn of such information regarding Kirk Douglas, though it seems his instincts about the Actor were correct.

My Grandad taught me to seperate the Content from Creator, which is not always easy to do, so I can certainly respect Zicree's tact in that interview you describe Ib.

I for one hated Peckinpah when I learned of his actions in harming the Sliders cast and content, it took a while to lose some of that bubbling vitriol, now I just feel disappointment at lost opportunities for the Sliders show.

"It's only a matter of time. Were I in your shoes, I would spend my last earthly hours enjoying the world. Of course, if you wish, you can spend them fighting for a lost cause.... But you know that you've lost." -Kane-

I have read a lot of reasonable, negative reviews of DISCOVERY and PICARD. As a writing mentor once said to me, "We are not the final arbiters of taste." I am quite happy with both shows, but if others aren't, it's because they wanted or expected different story and character elements that I either didn't need or could do without. For example, PICARD has the Federation existing in a capitalistic system with Picard being rich and Raffi being poor and shrieking at Picard about how his chateau looked so lavish and luxurious and a pilot saying he's "very expensive." That does not work for me; in my personal vision of STAR TREK, money doesn't exist. But I'm prepared to accept that IREACTIONS' STAR TREK is not PICARD and appreciate PICARD on its own terms. Others have found that a dealbreaker and so they should.

Peckinpah is a rare instance where his professional output is the direct result of his abysmal personal conduct. Marc Scott Zicree during the podcast, at least in my view, seemed to regard Peckinpah as an object of pity, a person who suffered from terrible demons that made him a pariah on his most well-known, widely broadcast project (SLIDERS) both during his life and after his death. Zicree clearly felt no need to indict Peckinpah any further; Peckinpah's work convicted his own legacy.

I'm not familiar with Kirk Douglas' body of work, although his reputation in recent days is deeply disturbing. It's possible your grandfather could see something in Douglas' demeanor, body language and presence that he recognized as something shared by your great-grandfather. In Season 3 of SLIDERS, there was a moment in "Season's Greedings" where Jerry is chatting with Chase Masterson and Jerry adopts this entitled smirk and preening physicality that I found deeply out of character for Quinn and reminded me of some of the more arrogant and belittling classmates I had in high school.

I started to see more of them and less of myself in Jerry's portrayal and it deeply offended me. In Season 4, I also recognized something in Jerry that I found myself associating with a number of my classmates in his empty, deadened facial expressions on camera; I would in later years recognize that as Jerry being hungover on camera. Part of this is unquestionably because David Peckinpah created a work environment where substance abuse was the norm and being inebriated when working was acceptable because the boss came into work intoxicated.

In 2005 or so, I think, Jerry stopped drinking for health and fitness reasons and viewed going to the gym to work out as part of his job as an actor. He said, and I paraphrase, "My work day didn't end when the director said cut." Since then, Jerry has been extremely professional and reliable in all his work; his acting on CARTER is in some ways overworked to the point of being unnatural, but I'd rather have Jerry trying too hard than not trying at all. I would love for this older, matured, experienced and as talented as ever Jerry O'Connell to play Quinn Mallory again and with Tracy Torme's leadership instead of David Peckinpah's.

And, as I said, if Torme and Zicree could team up, Zicree should do all the talking.

It would be interesting to see Tracy and Marc's work together since they both have an appreciation for the Twlight Zone angle of sliders.

That said, I honestly wonder if Tracy's black comedy or SNL type humor in general would be a "frequency" Marc would totally also be able to operate on. 

I think Tracy and Larry Wilmore might be an interesting pairing where they could riff of each other tho I am not sure if they'd have some clashing worldviews (not to mention Larry would be like who the heck is this Quinn guy and why are we going back to him.. so there's that oroblem)

I don't think Marc Scott Zicree and Tracy Torme should be writing the same stories, but they could certainly offer each other feedback. Zicree is a science fiction writer who is very interested in the technology of sliding, having created the Slidewave and the Slidecage. Tracy Torme is a social satirist and a comedian who is very interested in using world-building to invert and skew our perspective of the world, creating worlds where Wiccans instead of Christians are the dominant religion, where 60s counterculture lasted for three decades and counting, etc..

Torme could write the social satire episodes and Zicree could write the slidetech-focused episodes. Zicree could offer Torme his view on how sliding technology works; Torme could provide Zicree with his world-building talent. Both men have a gift for visual storytelling, but judging from the scripts, Zicree is better at writing material where plot information is conveyed visually and immediately. Meanwhile, Torme is better at conveying comedy and depth of character through banter and action. Zicree is more dramatic; Torme is funny.

Torme should be the final decisionmaker, of course. SLIDERS is his show.

But in any meeting with network and studio executives, it would probably best if Torme never, ever, ever opened his mouth. In fact, I strongly recommend that Torme never speak to anyone again; from now on, whether speaking to his barber or his wife, whether ordering a pizza or visiting his mechanic or pitching a SLIDERS reboot or revival, Torme should take a vow of silence and give all his talking points for Zicree to convey with the Marc Scott Zicree warmth, positivity, charm and grace. I would happily never speak again if Zicree would do all my talking for me as well.

I agree with ireactions in that Zicree and Torme could split up the duty and Torme could write the episodes focused on alt-history and social satire while Zicree writes the episodes focused on the sliders tech. And they can give eachother feedback and crituqes as well.

Though I don't agree that he needs to keep quite. I understand why he would have acted his way. It's his show and he has a certain veiw for how things should be. If something I wrote was on TV, I would probably be stubborn and difficult as well.

I was just joking. But also not.

Tracy Torme is a genius. A brilliant visionary. A unique mind. He is the Vincent van Gogh of television. The Tesla of 90s broadcast. Unappreciated and undervalued in his time. But he's stubborn and difficult.

Marc Scott Zicree doesn't do stubborn, he does sweet. Zicree doesn't do difficult, he does deferentially sociable. Put him on Seasons 1 - 2 of SLIDERS and have him facing FOX executives and his approach would have been decidedly different from Torme's.

"Explosions? Absolutely, SLIDERS should have explosions! SLIDERS can tell any kind of story, some of those stories should have 10 - 20 nitroglycerin explosions so that you can have those in the trailers; but hey, that'll blow the budget, so how about next week, we save some money and do an episode where Rembrandt is like Elvis... "

"The People's Court scene is too silly? Well, how about this: we'll do a cut with it and a cut without it and you screen the version with it and if it gets no laughs, you cut it, but really, it's a great joke. Listen, it's a really good breather and it'll really set the mood so that we can have more of a car chase scene later, you like car chases, right? Walking here lets us drive faster here... "

"I was thinking we could do a dinosaur episode! SLIDERS does dinosaurs!! But again, very expensive, so next week, could we do this cheap story where the sliders think they've gotten home... "

"So, I don't see all these BAYWATCH extras fitting into many of our scripts after the credits. But before the credits, we always have a short world, and I think we could really make sure that all of our teaser parallel Earths can have lots of these women in those outfits you like, how about that? And we've got a world where most of the men died off and we've got this Vegas type episode where we could do that sort of casting and we could write some more recurring female doubles if there are any actresses you want to showcase."

"I know you're not sure about introducing these Kromagg characters, but that could lead to a lot of action sequences with spaceships firing lasers at the sliders and there could be lots of explosions, too. Great for trailers."

"I think for a 22 episode order, we could definitely do at least 11 action-heavy shows, but again, those are very expensive, so for the other 11, we really need to do more bargain bottle episodes like a world that prioritizes academics over athletics, where the gender divide favors women over men, where Mexicans rule America, where Wiccanism toppled Christianity, where psychics run government. The bottle episodes let us do the episodes with gunfights and car chases and explosions and foot races and motorcycle stunts and of course, those are our top priority, those take the bulk of our resources -- and these social satire episodes are really to pace our spending so we can get you the action that you want."

https://twitter.com/SlidersFanBlog/stat … 45829?s=20

slidecage.com
Twitter @slidersfanblog
Instagram slidersfanblog

I just (independently/ironically) just finished watching last week's The Prisoner chat with Tracy.  I was stunned at the news!  They speak about it at the 1 hour 55 minute mark.

Tracy says there's going to be a "Sliders Convention" in Long Island, NY, in summer 2022, in the "early stages."  It's (thankfully) NOT per Tracy to be run by Creation Entertainment.  Sounds like he will reveal more information later, as it didn't sound like he had it in front of him. 

PS: Tracy later recounted a funny story about a fake Tracy Torme Facebook page doing a Q&A, which he found out about it, and showed up and was kind of turned off on social media by that.  His wife is currently putting something together for him now though.

Grizzlor? What's Nicole Eggert like? I've always wondered.

So, I guess I'll see you all in Long Island in Summer 2022. Maybe my favourite actress and her splendid boyfriend will come with me.

My greatest ambition for SLIDERS is to meet Slider_Quinn21 and buy him a sumptuous meal for every time someone has stolen his fanfic and put their own name on it. He has earned it.

210 (edited by Grizzlor 2021-11-15 12:01:00)

ireactions wrote:

Grizzlor? What's Nicole Eggert like? I've always wondered.

So, I guess I'll see you all in Long Island in Summer 2022. Maybe my favourite actress and her splendid boyfriend will come with me.

My greatest ambition for SLIDERS is to meet Slider_Quinn21 and buy him a sumptuous meal for every time someone has stolen his fanfic and put their own name on it. He has earned it.

Eggert is your favorite actress?!?  She was fairly pleasant although has also been known to party too much at cons and not answer the bell the next day, something I have witnessed ha ha.  As for the convention, I'm going to see what details I can get before giving my two cents on that.  Tracy mentioned a trip he and his wife were supposed to take to Jordan in December was going to be delayed until next June or July, so I guess that is not when such a convention would occur.

ireactions wrote:

Ha, has anyone actually done that?

Yes, I've seen your fanfic all over FanFiction.net. It's so insulting, no one ever steals mine.

Response to Grizzlor is here:
http://sliders.tv/bboard/viewtopic.php?pid=12226#p12226

ireactions wrote:

Yes, I've seen your fanfic all over FanFiction.net. It's so insulting, no one ever steals mine.

As long as they kept my crossover with Seven Days, then they're good haha

Post your fanfics here! I don't think I've ever seen them.

Happy to!  Please note that I wrote these as a teenager.  I stand by every idea in this.  The writing might not have aged well hahah

http://slidersweb.net/otherworlds/214/index.htm

Numbers look good so far, but we’ll see where it ends up. This is Torme’s argument to Universal, though.  Two points:

People spend money on legacy series (where the originals hand off to their kids)

https://deadline.com/2021/11/ghostbuste … 77444/amp/

And people still remember Sliders (to the point of mega-billion Marvel Studios blatantly copying Sliders imagery)

https://sliders.tv/bboard/viewtopic.php?id=430

Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.  Marvel likes Sliders, and Marvel has proven they have their finger on the pulse of what people like.

That’s the argument.

A mile into this Prisoner episode, Tracy reveals he's currently working with Jacob Epstein on the reboot, the only "holdover" from the original show production wise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIVE5xTY2WI

He also jokes about JRD, and that Fox wanted a "hot chick" to replace the "old guy."  Also that they wanted lots of backward hat wearing skateboarders in the background of every episode LOL.  Said JRD he talks to periodically and would be enthusiastic about coming back, but Tracy mentions that because John lives on Isle of Man, he's a bit "off the radar."

Tracy also said he recently found out Kelsey Grammer was interested in the Arturo role, which he never knew about, if true.

On the reboot, said "there's a few things to work out," unfortunately the host stepped right on top of Tracy's comments, and later I think Tracy, when asked about a new home, said "won't be the Scifi Channel."  I think.  Later he mentions that Danielle Claman (longtime studio exec) is the one organizing this reboot deal.  And muttered about the conglomerate that controls Universal TV rights such as Sliders.

It was a very long time ago, but there was word that Kelsey Grammer was a Sliders fan.  It started with an anonymous poster on the old forums who claimed he had talked to Kelsey, but I believe it was later confirmed in an interview.  No idea where that interview would be.

Danielle Claman Gelber also fits everything Tracy has been saying:

https://www.thewrap.com/dick-wolf-danie … elevision/

She was a Fox Exec from 1995 to 2002; and before that was involved in development of Fox shows ranging from 90210 to X-Files.  She should know Sliders and it’s history pretty well.

Most recently, she’s had a big hand in the various Chicago series on NBC.  Her work on the Chicagos led to a first-look deal with Universal TV, so that’s the current connection and likely why she’s looking at Sliders.

https://m.imdb.com/name/nm1891764/bio

Her career in tv is a long one - dating all the way back to The Love Boat.

Here’s an interview from last year:

https://youtu.be/EoGldC4Oe1s

Hey, if SLIDERS comes back, will Temporal Flux resume his role as THE Temporal Flux and devote himself to infiltrating every level of SLIDERS production from crafts services to executive boardrooms? If Jerry O'Connell eats a danish, will TF have a drone taking photos of the bite marks?

If SLIDERS comes back, I would like to write one extremely mediocre licensed SLIDERS tie-in novel and get paid approximately $1,530 to hack it out in a month and I would like this extremely mediocre licensed novel to be blatantly contradicted onscreen in the TV show before the book is even released. I would like to see the novel reviewed on Amazon.com with all the reviews commenting that surely the publisher could have found a more capable fanfic writer instead of this bland formula.

Most importantly, I would like Slider_Quinn21 to not bother reading it and say so. The moment Slider_Quinn21 says he is vaguely aware that I wrote a SLIDERS novel that he will never get around to reading is the moment that I know I have made my mark on this world.

Danielle Claman was not a name that registered but appears she was a backer of Epstein and Tracy back in the day, something that Jacob revealed to EP.com (https://earthprime.com/interviews/jacob … interview/) years ago. 

If Sliders returned, I'm sure we'd have a fan or two in wherever they film who could post some stills from afar on their location shoots.

It's odd. Though the two aren't comparable in the slightest, but after watching Ghostbusters: Afterlife, I just can't help pondering that a Sliders 'passing the torch' reboot really would do well.

What is Quinn Mallory's favourite food? "I made your favourite," says Amanda Mallory in the pilot. In the script, Quinn anxiously asks his mother what his favourite food is and she assures him that it's Rice-A-Roni and lamb chops as usual. Like Computer Boy, this piece of world-building was cut from the aired episode and the world is poorer for its absence. In fact, I believe that in omitting the reference to Rice-A-Roni and lamb chops, SLIDERS unfortunately missed an opportunity to hearten a troubled nation, to mend our wounded souls and, more critically and vitally -- to reignite our lost cultural interest in solving problems.

Rice-A-Roni was first created in 1958 by an Italian family who attempted adding dry chicken soup mix to rice and macaroni. Rice-A-Roni is a boxed food mix of rice and seasonings, prepared by browning the contents in butter before simmering the concoction with water for further absorbsion.

In addition, as befitting a meal adored by genius intellect Quinn Mallory, Rice-A-Roni is without question one of the most difficult boxed dinner kits to prepare correctly and effectively. Without precise temperature control, the mixture will burn when simmering. Without maintaining proper steaming level, the rice will not absorb sufficient water and be hard and inedible. The rice must also be allowed to stand for water to evapourate from the mixture.

Rice-A-Roni is possibly the most difficult dilemma ever faced by our Mr. Mallory. It is a dish that requires dedication and commitment. It must be cooked with precise timing and tremendous patience; each step of cooking the Rice-A-Roni must be followed to the letter. Rice-A-Roni requires an understanding of fluid dynamics, evapouration, condensation, boiling points and an intensive level of mathematical calculation for volume and time.

Had the Pilot made it clear that Rice-A-Roni (with lamb chops) is Quinn Mallory's favourite food, SLIDERS would have established a brand identity for itself based on the values of intricate calculation and a commitment to follow instructions fully and accurately. SLIDERS and Rice-A-Roni would have become an advertising force to be reckoned with, inspiring a generation of middle aged viewers and youthful students to dedicate themselves to timekeeping, non-proportionate ratios in water-to-rice volumes and weights, the study of hydrology, and a full understanding of physics and thermodynamics needed for the realization of the potentiality of perfection within each and every box of Rice-A-Roni.

In the event of a SLIDERS revival, all of us must band together. We must implore Tracy Torme to realize the scale, value and impact he could have effected had he recognized that his true work was never about SLIDERS or the sliders. Quinn, Wade, Rembrandt, Arturo, the timer, the vortex, the adventure -- they were all a path and platform for Torme's true purpose and the real value proposition behind SLIDERS; the value of Rice-A-Roni and the inherent power of Rice-A-Roni to galvanize society and create a generation of culinary artists, physicists, mathematicians, engineers and people who want dinner ready in 15 - 20 minutes.

The stove is set. The box is ready to be opened. Let us open our hearts and stomachs to Rice-A-Roni and the wonders it will bring.

TLDR: Rice-A-Roni is really hard to make. Like, really, really hard. Even Quinn probably screwed it up now and then.

223 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2021-12-12 13:51:16)

I think quinn may have gotten his ability to follow how to concoct something from a formula from his mom..

rice is super hard to make without a rice cooker and pasta is a pain in the behind, even though hardly anyone ever talks about it.

Well, I read the instructions on the back of this box of Rice-A-Roni and thought it seemed hopeless, so I put it in an Instant Pot along with the seasoning, some sliced up lamb chops and some frozen broccoli and cauliflower. Then I browned it lightly with some butter before pressure cooking it for five minutes.

I have to say, this is pretty good. The lamb has a gamey aroma that fits the chicken broth seasoning perfectly and blends in wonderfully with the rice. This is, was, and ever shall be the official meal of SLIDERS.

In all seriousness, Rice-A-Roni and lamb chops is such an individual, peculiar and specific choice that it must hold some special significance to Tracy Torme. The box even says it is "A San Francisco Treat." Hopefully, SLIDERS will be revived and we will all learn the reason why.

Rice-A-Roni and lamb chops is also going to be my last carbohydrate heavy meal for awhile.

Slide Override wrote:

It's odd. Though the two aren't comparable in the slightest, but after watching Ghostbusters: Afterlife, I just can't help pondering that a Sliders 'passing the torch' reboot really would do well.

Hmmm, I happened to LOVE Afterlife, and I already thought Torme's concept would surely be interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILHq4MFctmI

Warning. Very quick and dirty trailer. But I was bored.

With an intellect that rivals her father's, and a sense of adventure taken from her late mum, Jade Mallory is a force to be reckoned with - which is why she often lands herself feet first into trouble. Unfortunately, she also ends up dragging her best friend, and on-off romantic interest - Rembrandt Brown Jr, into most of her escapades.

But nothing could have prepared either Jade or "RJ" for the secret that had been hidden within their families.

It has been 29.7 years since Quinn, Wade, Rembrandt and Arturo missed the window of opportunity and were forced to make a life for themselves on a parallel world.

But Jade discovers the timer ... and the window of opportunity has arrived...

Annie Fish re-reviewed "The Guardian" and says that there is absolutely no way Torme's revival could possibly happen because Hollywood would never cast Jerry O'Connell to be a leading man in a major network show at his age and that Torme's revival vision is garbage and that Torme's declaration that a SLIDERS revival won't be "woke" shows how out of touch and delusional Torme is and that Torme's meeting with NBCUniversal ending on a suggestion that they meet again at a later date is a polite rejection of Torme and Torme's show and Torme's attitude and Torme's value system and also that the podcasts in which Torme has guested on are disgustingly toxic in their toxic masculinity.

https://annieannieannie.medium.com/remn … 02fe7e5295

I do find the podcasters ghastly and my frustration with them has been thoroughly documented.

I would say that to Tracy Torme, the word "woke" is synonymous with "politically correct" which, in 90s TV screenwriting parlance, meant writing all characters as Caucasian regardless of ethnicity or culture. Torme would not do this; whether advisable or inadvisable, he wrote black characters based on the black people he knew and grew up with. All the black people in "Summer of Love" and "The King is Back" draw on actual people in Torme's life and Torme's obvious fondness for them. (Torme's writing of black characters could still be, very fairly, considered racist caricature. However, they are caricatures of people Torme knew and clearly loved.)

Also, when looking for a podcast willing to host a 90s screenwriter of a little-viewed show, beggars might not be able to be choosers.

I would also say that SLIDERS is Tracy Torme's creation. Robert K. Weiss, while a genius, jumped ship early on. We can debate the merits and failings of Tracy Torme endlessly because he has many. But fairly or unfairly, SLIDERS is Tracy Torme's show. If Tracy Torme wants to pitch a revival of SLIDERS headlined by Jerry O'Connell and if Torme wants to bring back whichever original cast members want to return and if Torme wants to do the GHOSTBUSTERS: AFTERLIFE equivalent of SLIDERS, then it's his right to do so and I wish him well and hope he succeeds.

And if Torme's bid to revive SLIDERS fails -- if "let's talk later" from NBCU was really "go away and never come back" -- then at least he failed trying to revive the version of the show that he wanted to do and believed in rather than trying to revive whatever he thought would sell. At least, in his failure to bring back SLIDERS, he conveyed that the only SLIDERS he wants to bring back is the version with *the* sliders, the characters of Quinn Mallory, Wade Welles, Rembrandt Brown and Professor Arturo as played by Jerry O'Connell, Sabrina Lloyd, Cleavant Derricks and John Rhys-Davies (pending their respective availabilities, anyway).

At least he will have failed while being loyal to his characters and his fans rather than being loyal to his wallet -- like, say, the creator of MACGYVER who watered down his premise to re-sell it again to NBC. Someone who isn't Tracy Torme can do that reboot later. (Sabrina Carpenter for Quinn Mallory!)

That said, Annie Fish has every right to criticize Torme's hypothetical revival and call it doomed and find it wanting and find Torme a moral disaster of a human being and I'm not even sure Annie Fish is even wrong. Annie's criticisms are fair, reasoned and reasonable because Annie is fair, reasoned and reasonable.

228 (edited by Grizzlor 2021-12-19 00:06:19)

Who the hell is Annie Fish, and why should I care?  Only fish I care about is MAURICE!

229 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2021-12-19 10:53:08)

Grizzlor wrote:

Who the hell is Annie Fish

You remember Ian McDuffie, right?

In any case I like that annie has a perspective that comes from it at a different angle than I would and that it also isn't afraid to be 100 percent honest rather than trying to appeal to the sliders community.

Annie's credentials -- they are roulettewheel on this forum and they wrote the Think of a Roulette blog and covered every episode of SLIDERS and all the comics -- are irrelevant as to whether or not their opinion is worth considering.

Annie's opinion is valid and their criticisms are very reasonable: Jerry O'Connell is old. Tracy Torme may be seriously out of touch with TV. Tracy Torme may be seriously out of touch with present day concerns of identity and culture and economy.

Tracy Torme may be seriously out of touch with reality to think that NBCUniversal would ever revive SLIDERS with the original cast instead of, say, doing what they did with MACGYVER and rebooting it with new actors playing the original character(s).

Annie Fish could be completely and totally right. However, writing is not like selling IKEA shelves. Torme is so rich that he invites homeless people to live with him. Torme is so rich that heart surgery and prostate cancer didn't put him out on the street when most people with that sort of medical cataclysm in America end up renting cardboard boxes for shelter.

Torme comes to SLIDERS now from a place of passion, not avarice. The only SLIDERS writing Torme wants to do is the writing in which he will invest his heart and soul into and the only writing for SLIDERS he wants to do is a vision of SLIDERS with Quinn Mallory played by Jerry O'Connell, Wade Welles played by Sabrina Lloyd, Rembrandt Brown played by Cleavant Derricks, and Professor Arturo played by John Rhys-Davies (and additional new characters should the originals prove difficult to book).

There is no point in Torme pitching a SLIDERS continuity reboot with recast versions of the originals if that isn't what makes Torme passionate. If that's the only revival that NBCUniversal would ever want to do, then that revival can come after Torme dies or is abducted by aliens.

Tracy Torme deserves the chance to fail. It is Torme's right to pitch the revival he wants to pitch because SLIDERS is his show. If I decide to paint my house glow in the dark green before putting it on the market, that's my right too.

If Torme's revival bid proves unmarketable and unapprovable, so be it. It was the revival he wanted to make. We can criticize the creative and marketing merits of this approach and we can review the unlikely successes and likely failures of his efforts. We can talk about what we'd like Torme to do with SLIDERS. But it's never going to be up to us to say what Torme should or shouldn't do with SLIDERS. Tracy Torme is SLIDERS.

(I would also argue that Temporal Flux is SLIDERS, but that's a different thread.)

I applaud Annie Fish for raising all of these extremely self-evident and likely problems with what Torme is trying to sell, but doing so in a way that in no way invalidates Torme's right to do as he sees fit with his show and in no way denigrates the fans' longings to see SLIDERS and be reunited with the sliders.

And Annie is right about those podcasters, they are abominations of broken humanity.

JOC isn't too old to lead a network TV show.  He's younger than Queen Latifah, who's headlining The Equalizer.  He's younger than Shemar Moore, the lead in S.W.A.T.  He's 10 years younger than Rob Lowe, star of 9-1-1: Lone Star.  There are plenty of other examples.

I got a question for you guys.

Is a "remastered and restored" version of SLIDERS the worst pitch for a Netflix?  Or would the public just kinda laugh at that.

RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan wrote:

I got a question for you guys.

Is a "remastered and restored" version of SLIDERS the worst pitch for a Netflix?  Or would the public just kinda laugh at that.

alright, never mind. I realized the idea is a little ridiculous.

I was prompted by seeing Netflix promoting Knight Rider in their library and showing a "new episodes" label on the thumbnail.  So it made it feel new again. And Knight Rider got a full HD restoration.  So it made me think of Sliders..

pilight wrote:

JOC isn't too old to lead a network TV show.  He's younger than Queen Latifah, who's headlining The Equalizer.  He's younger than Shemar Moore, the lead in S.W.A.T.  He's 10 years younger than Rob Lowe, star of 9-1-1: Lone Star.  There are plenty of other examples.

Thank you.

I'm really not sure where this has come from, but "older" male actors is not a thing that Hollywood has any issues with at all.

There are many genuine reasons why rebooting an old show while keeping the old cast won't work, but JOC's age is NOT one of them.

Thank you, pilight! I am so happy to see you punch a massive hole in the criticism of reviving SLIDERS with Jerry in a lead role.

As for pitching stuff to Netflix about remastering, I'm in favour of it so long as I don't have to do any unpaid work for it! :-D

I think a remasterization of Sliders and putting it on Netflix could help pave way for a reboot in the future. It would introduce new people to the show who haven't heard of it before.

Tucker wrote:

I think a remasterization of Sliders and putting it on Netflix could help pave way for a reboot in the future. It would introduce new people to the show who haven't heard of it before.

The ROI is not there.  Shows like Knight Rider got it because they just had to run the old masters through computers.  Sliders has those old VHS-only special effects, that were done in post-production.

Plus editing on tape (as sliders did) is another burden.  It's very ironic older shows can get HD restoration easier but it's the case.

Just finished watching THE MATRIX RESURRECTIONS. Temporal Flux has been very keen on GHOSTBUSTERS: AFTERLIFE, but THE MATRIX RESURRECTIONS is a film that really made me long for SLIDERS as I watched it.

I'm sure it's not a spoiler to say that THE MATRIX RESURRECTIONS is the story of picking up on Neo and Trinity, decades after Neo was presumably eviscerated on a digital level and Trinity was impaled and died on camera.

I'm sure it's not a spoiler to say that THE MATRIX RESURRECTIONS is the story of Neo and Trinity finding a way back from death, finding a way back to each other, and rediscovering their mission and purpose once again.

I know that Torme wants to see SLIDERS revived like AFTERLIFE with the original sliders passing the timer onto the children, but for me, I would prefer something more like RESURRECTIONS which assures us that everyone who missed Neo and Trinity and kept them close to their hearts were right to do so; that Neo and Trinity have been with us all along; that Neo and Trinity will always come back to us.

But a SLIDERS revival would probably be more of an AFTERLIFE situation. I'm not that crazy.

Afterlife features cameos from the original guys for about 5 minutes, obviously contingent on whether they'd even agree to do it (mainly Bill).  Every indication I had was that Torme's concept for Sliders II was more akin to Matrix 4.  Don't think his reboot works in the same way WITHOUT some of the originals.  Tracy when speaking on it has always seemed to be very much interested in furthering their stories, to some degree.