Re: American Politics: Discuss and Debate

QuinnSlidr wrote:

So you're saying ageism is fine, and racism is okay, so we should acknowledge their behavior as right by making these concessions?

....no?

And I'm not even sure how you're getting that from anything I said.  I'm obviously on Biden's side.  But I'm also able to see that this election is going to be very close.  It doesn't matter whether Trump is a racist or a sexist or a rapist or a fraud or convicted in four different trials.

So Biden would be wise to do whatever it takes to get people on his side.  He's very unpopular, even with people who like him, on immigration and the border.  If he can get one vote from a Trump supporter by making concessions on the border, that's one vote closer to Biden being president and Trump not being president.

Just doing what he's been doing isn't enough.  He has to do more.  Otherwise, there's a real risk that Trump becomes president again.  That's not my opinion.  It's just the facts.

QuinnSlidr wrote:

I'm not here to tell you what's right or wrong. Just my philosophy. You can choose to agree or disagree. For me, I'm a one-issue voter this term: Democracy vs. Fascism. Once we save the nation from going down the path of Germany in 1943 with the rethuglicans, we can discuss concessions. The reason why is because of the shift in voter demographics in 2024. Rethuglicans are dreading this shift, because this means that next year, far more people will be progressive voters, and they will never hold a majority ever again. So they are trying to do everything they can, while they can now to ensure their ideals are passed in any way shape and form they choose. That is why we can't let fascism take hold.

Not being American, I can't vote in 2024, but if I could, I'd be voting the same as you which is to say I'd be voting against Trump. Canada will have an election in 2025 and I'll be voting against the Canadian equivalent of Trump. That doesn't mean I put the person who has won my vote on a pedestal, of course. I'm just choosing my preferred opponent.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/biden-admi … uth-texas/

Obviously Biden saw the same poll and had the same concerns.  I don't think there's any harm in doing some highly-visible work at the border.  If it were up to me, I'd send Kamala down to the border with very public events, especially in border towns where Republicans are making serious inroads.  One of Harris' strengths is her toughness on crime, and I think if Biden/Harris even give the appearance of being tougher on the border than they have been (even if it's all for show), then I think it will be much harder for non-MAGA Republicans to vote for Trump. 

I know some of these people, and I promise you they'll think "Well the economy is doing better, Biden seems to be doing things on the border, Harris is doing good work....I can live with four more years of this."

TemporalFlux wrote:

Really, the only reason anything has value is because enough people believe it has value.  It’s all based on confidence.

Gold has value because it’s rare, it’s pretty and it’s physical - things that made it a symbol of power.  In the modern age, it also has usefulness in the physical ability to make technology work.

Paper money (like the US Dollar) had value initially because people had faith that the US government had enough gold (i.e. Fort Knox) to back up the dollar’s value.  In modern times, the dollar was unpegged from gold and took on a floating value.  But again, that value is backed by the full faith and credit of the US government (realistically based on perception of military might, industrial complex, alliances, etc).  Basically, the world believes the US is “good for it” (a belief that is eroding).

And now we have Bitcoin.  Can it have value?  Certainly - if enough people believe it does.  My concern is that I can’t see what’s backing it up.  All it seems to be is an exercise in how much electricity you can pump through a computer to do useless work.

I think people are more drawn to the idea of Bitcoin being a one world currency that governments can’t devalue through their action or inaction.  The worth of Bitcoin seems to be more as an aspirational philosophy; and that’s just not enough for me to believe in as a way to buy and sell goods and services.  I believe the value of Bitcoin is something as whimsical as the hippie movement (which largely faded from history and lost most of what faith it had).

Developments keep proving TF right on this. Cryptocurrency has proven to be useless, has no value backing it up, and it is also a massive scam.
https://slate.com/technology/2023/10/sb … cards.html

ireactions wrote:
TemporalFlux wrote:

Really, the only reason anything has value is because enough people believe it has value.  It’s all based on confidence.

Gold has value because it’s rare, it’s pretty and it’s physical - things that made it a symbol of power.  In the modern age, it also has usefulness in the physical ability to make technology work.

Paper money (like the US Dollar) had value initially because people had faith that the US government had enough gold (i.e. Fort Knox) to back up the dollar’s value.  In modern times, the dollar was unpegged from gold and took on a floating value.  But again, that value is backed by the full faith and credit of the US government (realistically based on perception of military might, industrial complex, alliances, etc).  Basically, the world believes the US is “good for it” (a belief that is eroding).

And now we have Bitcoin.  Can it have value?  Certainly - if enough people believe it does.  My concern is that I can’t see what’s backing it up.  All it seems to be is an exercise in how much electricity you can pump through a computer to do useless work.

I think people are more drawn to the idea of Bitcoin being a one world currency that governments can’t devalue through their action or inaction.  The worth of Bitcoin seems to be more as an aspirational philosophy; and that’s just not enough for me to believe in as a way to buy and sell goods and services.  I believe the value of Bitcoin is something as whimsical as the hippie movement (which largely faded from history and lost most of what faith it had).

Developments keep proving TF right on this. Cryptocurrency has proven to be useless, has no value backing it up, and it is also a massive scam.
https://slate.com/technology/2023/10/sb … cards.html

What's nuts is... as an investment instrument...(which it is not touted to be, it's supposed to be a currency used for everyday transactions)... if you held bitcoin before the pandemic and still hold it now, you'd still have a 10x return on the investment. 

The hype period is over but the market still values it as a potential future currency, otherwise the price would still not be so high (even if it's half of the peak).

The idea of giving people power especially in third world countries to not be reliant on the currency of potentially corrupt govts is a powerful one.  But too many people got involved in bitcoin simply as an investor and a lot of those who came in during the hype have exited now.   A lot of big companies exploited retail investors, people lost their shirt.   Even though crypto is supposed to be about removing influence by govt, the flipside of the lack of regulation was wealthy people getting more wealthy from it and consumers being manipulated by pyramid schemes.

For the life of me, trends like nfts, web 3, obscure cryptocoins.... they seem so full of hot air.  I don't know how people get so excited over such crap.  There seems to be more important things to help humanity but we have very bright people who get consumed and apply their talents toward this stuff.  Can't people smell bullshit?

The reality is that people can be swayed and tricked when they are made to feel special and important, whether that's by investing in a technology that was overhyped in the press after it was past its peak or by political or cultural affiliation. They can be scammed by endorsements from celebrities like Matt Damon. They can be swayed by the fear of missing out on a technology that they don't actually understand.

I myself was particularly obsessed with netbooks.

2,167 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2023-10-08 12:45:39)

ireactions wrote:

I myself was particularly obsessed with netbooks.

They were not a terrible idea, even Wade would've approved.

Today's laptop is a hybrid netbook any how when you compare percentage of data stored locally vs the cloud.

When it comes to netbooks, I am a bit like a former cult member. I still feel a certain fondness for the idea of a netbook. I mean, wasn't it a great idea? To spend $200 USD on a 10.1 inch laptop that, while hardly a gaming machine, was suitable for banging out emails and social media posts and handling your online business. A travel laptop that you could drop out a window by mistake and replace without causing a global economic crisis. The idea was spectacular and compelling and enticing: a cramped but usable burner laptop. The junker car of mobile computers. Even today, I find myself open to buying a 10.1 inch laptop.

The reality was... not quite that. The main issue with netbooks is that because the profit margins were so low on these products, manufacturers cut a lot of corners making them. I had the Acer Aspire One, the Asus Transformer T100 TAM, the Asus Transformer T100 Chi and the Asus Transformer Mini T102. All were cheap and awful: the Acer Aspire One battery went dead in a year, the Asus T100 TAM was was so badly sealed that dust would get under the screen, the T100 Chi's trackpad would randomly go dead; the Mini T102 developed white spots on the monitor. The only netbook I ever had that was actually good was the HP DM1 with the AMD E-450 processor, 4GB of RAM, a 120GB SSD -- and this was indeed the well-built, reliable, low weight netbook I'd been looking for, but I gave it away to a friend who was going back to school.

I got the Asus Vivobook L210, an 11.6 inch laptop with an Intel Celeron processor and 4GB of RAM... and it was unusably slow. I got the HP Elitebook Folio G3 which used the low power Intel Core M and even with an SSD and 8GB of RAM, Windows 10 ran so slowly that web browsers were constantly freezing up. It became clear: most of my netbooks had been during the days of Windows 7. But Windows 7 gave way to Windows 10, and where Windows 7 ran well on Intel Atom processors, spinning hard drives and 2GB of RAM, Windows 10 really demanded a solid state drive and at minimum 8GB of RAM with at least an Intel i3.

Ultimately, the smartphone and tablet killed the netbook. No one wanted to buy these poorly made, underpowered computers when smartphones offered more responsive performance and tablets offered better multimedia playback at a lighter weight, even if they didn't have the versatility of physical keyboards.

I'm currently using the HP Elitebook 830 G5 with an i5 processor and 8GB of RAM and an SSD. It's thin and light enough... but despite being a good value laptop, it certainly wouldn't be cheap to replace like a netbook. I still long for the return of burner netbooks. It will never happen, the profit margin is too low.

2,169 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2023-10-08 20:37:17)

ireactions wrote:

I still long for the return of burner netbooks. It will never happen, the profit margin is too low.

the simple solution is refurbished laptops.  They tend to have issues, but usually not major ones, and are much cheaper.

I'm intrigued by RFK Jr. going into the race as an independent.  He's been strongly supported by MAGA as some kind of spoiler to Biden, but that's because he's philosophically a conservative.  He's straight crazy, and he's supported by Steve Bannon, Tucker Carlson, Ron DeSantis, and Joe Rogan, among others.  He made a lot of noise early because he was polling in the teens/20s in certain polls.  Experts said it was essentially name recognition driving the polling because, again, he doesn't have any of the same ideals that Democrats would ever vote for.

But as an independent, I think he's much more dangerous to Trump than Biden.  I think the test will be whether the Democrats can convince their voters that RFK is *not* a true Kennedy and whether or not conservatives can convince his true believers to vote for Trump.

What do we think?

2,171 (edited by QuinnSlidr 2023-10-11 19:53:29)

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

I'm intrigued by RFK Jr. going into the race as an independent.  He's been strongly supported by MAGA as some kind of spoiler to Biden, but that's because he's philosophically a conservative.  He's straight crazy, and he's supported by Steve Bannon, Tucker Carlson, Ron DeSantis, and Joe Rogan, among others.  He made a lot of noise early because he was polling in the teens/20s in certain polls.  Experts said it was essentially name recognition driving the polling because, again, he doesn't have any of the same ideals that Democrats would ever vote for.

But as an independent, I think he's much more dangerous to Trump than Biden.  I think the test will be whether the Democrats can convince their voters that RFK is *not* a true Kennedy and whether or not conservatives can convince his true believers to vote for Trump.

What do we think?

I don't celebrate any right wing nutcase.

RFK Jr. doesn't deserve the name Kennedy.

QuinnSlidr wrote:

Well, I'm not celebrating him.  I don't want him to have any power or for anyone to like anything he says.  I'm talking about a means to an end, and I think Kennedy might be the means to that end.  Same as if Don Jr or Rudy Guiliani or whoever were to run.  If it splits MAGA, then MAGA cannot win.

It's been a long time since the Kennedy clan was relevant nationally.  He'll pull less than 100k votes and nobody will remember he ran as anything but a joke.  Kind of like Kanye West last election.

RFK Jr has a pretty high profile a politician.  He shows up on Joe Rogan's podcast (I don't listen or pay attention to that, but I know he does) and DeSantis has mentioned that he'd hire him if he were president.  I think that's a higher profile than Kanye, but I can't speak either way about his overall popularity.

Not to bring up polling again, but he polls fairly high especially among Republicans.  They're also less likely to be picking RFK on a poll because he's not Biden or because of his name (the primary reasons he was getting high poll numbers in the Democratic primary).
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics … publicans/

And even if you're right, I guess it just depends on where the 100,000 votes are.

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:
QuinnSlidr wrote:

Well, I'm not celebrating him.  I don't want him to have any power or for anyone to like anything he says.  I'm talking about a means to an end, and I think Kennedy might be the means to that end.  Same as if Don Jr or Rudy Guiliani or whoever were to run.  If it splits MAGA, then MAGA cannot win.

It's a little confusing, because of statements like these that indicate overwhelming support on your side for these candidates...

"I'm intrigued by RFK Jr. going into the race as an independent."

"He's been strongly supported by MAGA as some kind of spoiler to Biden, but that's because he's philosophically a conservative.  He's straight crazy, and he's supported by Steve Bannon, Tucker Carlson, Ron DeSantis, and Joe Rogan, among others."

"He made a lot of noise early because he was polling in the teens/20s in certain polls."

"Experts said it was essentially name recognition driving the polling because, again, he doesn't have any of the same ideals that Democrats would ever vote for." <---- derogatory remark against Dems?

I might be misunderstanding. If so, nevermind...

QuinnSlidr, I have to tell you: I am truly baffled and confused by your remarks.

Slider_Quinn21 voted for Biden in the last election and voted not-Trump before that (but not for Clinton).

Slider_Quinn21 described Robert Kennedy Jr. as "crazy" and associated him with other right-wing nutjobs whose names I don't wish to type, all of whom Slider_Quinn21 clearly holds in contempt.

Slider_Quinn21 said that Robert Kennedy Jr. doesn't have any of the ideals that Democrats would vote for; Slider_Quinn21 votes against Republicans.

Whatever the issue is here, it's not Slider_Quinn21's politics. As long as he votes against Trump, that should really be sufficient for your not unreasonable moral standard.

The rest is Slider_Quinn21 psychoanalyzing and gaming out the MAGA movement and how it could play out in the next election. Slider_Quinn21 is an amateur pollster of sorts and analysis is not affiliation. When we start accusing an anti-Trump voter of allegiance to alt-right fascism, there should be more evidence than their political commentary not being wholeheartedly in favour of what Democrat Party does or doesn't do.

The Democratic Party of America is not above criticism or reproach and has serious systemic and structural issues (albeit not as severe as the Republican Party which is basically a criminal organization and a terrorist group at this point). Real democrats don't do loyalty tests or demand ideological purity. They only thing a democrat should demand is a basic foundational belief that should transcend all party boundaries; the belief all people are created equal, endowed with certain inalienable rights, among them being the right to life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness and that James Brown is the godfather of soul.

So what's the actual issue here?

I think the issue is that your stepfather died and you are in pain. I think your fight or flight instincts have gone haywire. I think you are suffering and hurt. I think you are experiencing distress and loss and mistaking observation for enemy action. I think you are looking for a fight when what you need is a friend.

I think you should tell us about your stepfather and why you miss him and what he meant to you and how hard and painful it has been for you.

I think you should share your memories of him, both the good and the bad, and why his loss has left a void in your life that is leaving you in agony.

This has been a transparent attempt to be sentimental with what I confess is a guess and possibly projection, because "I think you are looking for a fight when what you need is a friend" would also apply to me at many points in my life.

This has also been a transparent attempt to request that Slider_Quinn21 not to be offended or upset with you for these odd attacks on his politics and to ask him to remember that you're going through something really hard and horrible.

2,177 (edited by QuinnSlidr 2023-10-12 18:58:25)

ireactions wrote:

QuinnSlidr, I have to tell you: I am truly baffled and confused by your remarks.

Slider_Quinn21 voted for Biden in the last election and voted not-Trump before that (but not for Clinton).

Slider_Quinn21 described Robert Kennedy Jr. as "crazy" and associated him with other right-wing nutjobs whose names I don't wish to type, all of whom Slider_Quinn21 clearly holds in contempt.

Slider_Quinn21 said that Robert Kennedy Jr. doesn't have any of the ideals that Democrats would vote for; Slider_Quinn21 votes against Republicans.

Whatever the issue is here, it's not Slider_Quinn21's politics. As long as he votes against Trump, that should really be sufficient for your not unreasonable moral standard.

The rest is Slider_Quinn21 psychoanalyzing and gaming out the MAGA movement and how it could play out in the next election. Slider_Quinn21 is an amateur pollster of sorts and analysis is not affiliation. When we start accusing an anti-Trump voter of allegiance to alt-right fascism, there should be more evidence than their political commentary not being wholeheartedly in favour of what Democrat Party does or doesn't do.

The Democratic Party of America is not above criticism or reproach and has serious systemic and structural issues (albeit not as severe as the Republican Party which is basically a criminal organization and a terrorist group at this point). Real democrats don't do loyalty tests or demand ideological purity. They only thing a democrat should demand is a basic foundational belief that should transcend all party boundaries; the belief all people are created equal, endowed with certain inalienable rights, among them being the right to life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness and that James Brown is the godfather of soul.

So what's the actual issue here?

I think the issue is that your stepfather died and you are in pain. I think your fight or flight instincts have gone haywire. I think you are suffering and hurt. I think you are experiencing distress and loss and mistaking observation for enemy action. I think you are looking for a fight when what you need is a friend.

I think you should tell us about your stepfather and why you miss him and what he meant to you and how hard and painful it has been for you.

I think you should share your memories of him, both the good and the bad, and why his loss has left a void in your life that is leaving you in agony.

This has been a transparent attempt to be sentimental with what I confess is a guess and possibly projection, because "I think you are looking for a fight when what you need is a friend" would also apply to me at many points in my life.

This has also been a transparent attempt to request that Slider_Quinn21 not to be offended or upset with you for these odd attacks on his politics and to ask him to remember that you're going through something really hard and horrible.

I was just calling it like I saw it. And I owe Slider_Quinn21 an apology. I can admit when I am wrong. I dislike anything positive about the right wing at any point at this point, and his statements just felt like a veiled attempt at spreading positivity about right wingers, without knowing more. Like I said, if I am incorrect, nevermind.

I also apologize for jumping the gun.

It has nothing to do with my stepdad, but everything to do about my dislike of right wingers. The mere mention of Joe Rogan or Steve Bannon makes me physically ill.

Oh, if I wasn't clear before.  Let me be very clear: I do not support RFK Jr on any level.  I do not support Donald Trump or his MAGA movement on any level.  Trumpism is a disease on this country, and it must be eradicated.  I believe this wholeheartedly.

ireactions mentioned that I voted against Trump in 2016 but not for Clinton.  I greatly regret this, even though my vote would not have mattered in the result.  I grossly underestimated the harm that Donald Trump could do, and it's one reason why I've significantly tried to educate myself in these matters.  I didn't used to listen to political podcasts or learn about political figures.

I am a Democrat and support Democrats.  I'm about as close to "Vote Blue No Matter Who" as you can be, and I've voted that way locally for the last few elections.  I rarely voted in midterms prior to 2016.  This year I voted on some random local offcycle election.  I voted all Democrats.

ireactions, as usual, is correct in my motivation and goal.  Like I said, Trumpism is a disease that must be eradicated.  Some diseases can be eliminated by doing the right thing (eating healthy, exercising, cutting bad habits, etc).

Some diseases need to be destroyed with chemotherapy or surgery that can be as painful or more painful than the diseases.  And I'm open to any and all (legal and honest) solutions for Donald Trump to lose.  And I would prefer that all people that have supported Trump (especially my political nemesis Ted Cruz) also crash and burn.  But right now, the focus has to be on eliminating Trump in 2024.

And so that's my thinking in bringing up stuff like Biden's border policy and RFK Jr.  I'm *fascinated* by any move that gets Biden closer to victory in 2024.  I would *love* if America would wake up and realize that half its citizens are trying to vote for a 4-time indicted conman.  I am losing my faith that such a thing is going to happen in time.  I don't know if I have enough faith that the courts will even get these trials in on time, and even if they do, I don't have enough faith for my fellow countrymen for that to matter.  Too many people have already indicated that they're voting for Trump no matter what.

So can a slight alteration in border policy scrape off a few votes from Trump?  If so, I'm in!  If RFK Jr runs and can scrape a few MAGA people off the Trump bandwagon, I'm in!  Yes, these are both bad things.  I don't want Biden to adopt a more-conservative view on the border, but we have to win.  I hate that RFK Jr is getting any attention, but we have to win.

QuinnSlidr, I appreciate the apology, but I assure you I took no disrespect.  I am very sorry for your loss as well.

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

Oh, if I wasn't clear before.  Let me be very clear: I do not support RFK Jr on any level.  I do not support Donald Trump or his MAGA movement on any level.  Trumpism is a disease on this country, and it must be eradicated.  I believe this wholeheartedly.

ireactions mentioned that I voted against Trump in 2016 but not for Clinton.  I greatly regret this, even though my vote would not have mattered in the result.  I grossly underestimated the harm that Donald Trump could do, and it's one reason why I've significantly tried to educate myself in these matters.  I didn't used to listen to political podcasts or learn about political figures.

I am a Democrat and support Democrats.  I'm about as close to "Vote Blue No Matter Who" as you can be, and I've voted that way locally for the last few elections.  I rarely voted in midterms prior to 2016.  This year I voted on some random local offcycle election.  I voted all Democrats.

ireactions, as usual, is correct in my motivation and goal.  Like I said, Trumpism is a disease that must be eradicated.  Some diseases can be eliminated by doing the right thing (eating healthy, exercising, cutting bad habits, etc).

Some diseases need to be destroyed with chemotherapy or surgery that can be as painful or more painful than the diseases.  And I'm open to any and all (legal and honest) solutions for Donald Trump to lose.  And I would prefer that all people that have supported Trump (especially my political nemesis Ted Cruz) also crash and burn.  But right now, the focus has to be on eliminating Trump in 2024.

And so that's my thinking in bringing up stuff like Biden's border policy and RFK Jr.  I'm *fascinated* by any move that gets Biden closer to victory in 2024.  I would *love* if America would wake up and realize that half its citizens are trying to vote for a 4-time indicted conman.  I am losing my faith that such a thing is going to happen in time.  I don't know if I have enough faith that the courts will even get these trials in on time, and even if they do, I don't have enough faith for my fellow countrymen for that to matter.  Too many people have already indicated that they're voting for Trump no matter what.

So can a slight alteration in border policy scrape off a few votes from Trump?  If so, I'm in!  If RFK Jr runs and can scrape a few MAGA people off the Trump bandwagon, I'm in!  Yes, these are both bad things.  I don't want Biden to adopt a more-conservative view on the border, but we have to win.  I hate that RFK Jr is getting any attention, but we have to win.

QuinnSlidr, I appreciate the apology, but I assure you I took no disrespect.  I am very sorry for your loss as well.

I appreciate you, Slider_Quinn21.

I will never make that mistake again.

I wonder if the Democrats made a miscalculation when they booted McCarthy. (Note: McCarthy is terrible, and I don't support him).  He's a liar and two-faced (one republican said his superpower is that he doesn't believe in anything) but he actually worked with / caved to Democrats to get some deals done to keep the government funded and working.

If we get Jim Jordan, that ain't happening.

Now I know the Democrats can spin this to win the House in 2024 or maybe even to win the White House.  Jordan is essentially Donald Trump in the House, and if Jordan pushes for a government shutdown (which I have to assume he'll do), that will bounce back on Jordan and Trump with independents and soft/non-MAGA republicans.  There's already been a decent amount of pushback from conservative media about what a clown show this whole republican House situation has turned into.

But giving Jordan power seems like such a bad idea, even with only a year or so to wield it.

Jordan doesn't have the votes either, it's absolutely pathetic.  GOP are not interested in governing.

And I gotta think this hurts them politically.  Republican voters want to send money to Israel and we can't right now.  And Biden went to Israel so again maybe that helps with fringe voters.

I don't know what a good solution is for Democrats.  Who is the most moderate Republican in the House?

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

And I gotta think this hurts them politically.  Republican voters want to send money to Israel and we can't right now.  And Biden went to Israel so again maybe that helps with fringe voters.

I don't know what a good solution is for Democrats.  Who is the most moderate Republican in the House?

If there's a will, there is usually a way on that R side.

But this R party is beholden to Trump and only Trump, so we will see if anything can be accomplished.

Even if there are any moderates, they're afraid of getting primaried, so they'll still be beholden to Trump just to make their life easier.

Until Trump's hold on the R party is over with in some way, that's how it will always be.

I thought Jordan was going to be able to bully his way in, but he got shot down.  That's a pretty solid loss for the MAGA movement.  I don't think this is the beginning of the end, but it's a sign that Trump doesn't have full control over House Republicans.  This was Trump's guy, and he was running unopposed.  Whoever gets the job now will not be (as) in debt to  Trump.  I think that's significant.

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

This was a difficult situation for you. Democrat or not, Hillary Clinton's politics, voting record, values, professed intentions and intentions were abhorrent to you. The Clintons were Democrats in name, but their politics and actions were all too often about courting Wall Street, outsourcing labour overseas, gutting welfare, etc. Hillary Clinton expected you to vote for her because she wasn't a registered Republican.

I think you have to consider that Hillary Clinton didn't do anything to earn your support. Even if you look at voting as an exercise in voting for your preferred opponent, your logic at the time was that you would vote against Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton simultaneously because your preferred opponent was, I dunno, Joe the Tiger Guy. Clinton didn't do anything to convince you that she would be your preferred opponent either. She seemed to take her victory for granted.

In contrast, I feel Biden put in the work. Biden worked hard to be the president you could grudgingly tolerate, the president you'd prefer to oppose and work around, the president you'd rather be grit your teeth and endure as opposed to the president who would actively try to get you killed in nuclear war and pandemic.

Biden's team called Trump a flailing, losing, messageless campaign of nothing, but he didn't kick back, he campaigned hard like he was losing. He repeatedly declared how he was a proud Democrat who would work hard for Republican and Democrat and independent voters alike. That's just rhetoric, but Clinton didn't even do that.

It goes both ways, Slider_Quinn21. Maybe you wish you voted for Clinton, but candidates have to do something to earn your vote.

Yeah, I've softened on Clinton, but she was just so entitled in 2016.  She was also entitled in 2008, but Barack Obama was able to defeat her.  In 2016, she stacked the deck, intimidated anyone competent from running against her, and she *still* almost blew it against a random independent named Bernie Sanders.  Now I wasn't anymore for Bernie, but Hillary went out of her way to attack Bernie supporters and making it impossible for all of them to unite under her.

Then, her campaign was such a mess.  Instead of just going for the simple win, Clinton tried to go for a Obama-ian knockout, and its part of the reason we're in this mess now.  I don't know if a smart Clinton campaign beats Trump, but you gotta think it would've considering how close it was.  I'm also not guaranteeing that any Democrat could've beaten Trump, but Clinton's unfavorables were so high that it really did seem like Trump and Clinton were both awful choices.

Clinton was very qualified (maybe not as much as she and her surrogates wanted us to believe - the beginning of political over-hyperbolization that Trump ran away with) but maybe an open primary would've allowed us to find the next Obama.  We *still* haven't found the next Obama.

But, of course, a Clinton presidency would've been better than a Trump one.  I don't know what would've happened - I assume Trump would've tried the same Stop the Steal stuff he tried against Biden.  But maybe Trumpism wouldn't have been so ingrained.

(Please note that I still fully support Joe Biden and will do everything I can to get him elected.  My support hasn't wavered, and I think he's done a great job).

I'm starting to get nervous about 2024.

I know polls from this far out are mostly junk, but there's a lot of bad signs that I hope the Democrats and the Biden campaign are taking very seriously.  We know that Trump has overtaken Biden in a lot of national polls, but he's also started taking over in a lot of state polls.  And important battleground state polls.  Biden was down really big with young voters, both white and non-white, even among people that voted overwhelmingly for him in 2020.  I don't know if it's because of his age, because of the economy, because of some of the unrest in the world or what.  But the polls are what the polls are, and if the polls are right and the election was today, Trump wins.

Now the polls may not be right and the election isn't today.  But the election is a year from now, and things don't look good.  A four-time indicted maniac fascist is inching his way back to the White House.  I'm getting very nervous.

Now there could be tons of reasons for this.  Because the Republican primary is happening now (and there's not really a Democratic one), Trump's name is in the news more.  There's maybe more enthusiasm for Trump because he's actively campaigning and Biden really isn't.  There isn't really a blitz in favor of Biden saying all the positive things that have happened in the last three years.  All that will come and all that will help Biden.  Right now, all people are hearing is how bad things are because the only people campaigning are Republicans.

And Trump's trials are (supposedly) coming up.  Trump is taking the stand today in his fraud trial.  There's plenty of time for things to come up, for him to get a lot of bad press, and for people to wake up.

But still.  People that voted for Biden are saying that they're going to switch to Trump.  That's scary.

And it reminds me of 2016.  Everyone in the Democratic Party coalesced around a candidate that was deeply unpopular, with (mostly BS) fraud/criminal connections that rile people up.  In Hillary's case, she tried to go for a knockout instead of a win, focusing on states that would give her a landslide win instead of shoring up states that would just give her any kind of win.  I assume Biden's team will zig where Hillary's team zagged.

That being said, I'm still just surprised that we're here.  Biden talked in 2020 about being a one-term president and passing the baton on to someone else.  The Democrats won both chambers of Congress and the White House.  They had big names in Congress and in the Cabinet that they could've lifted up and popularized.  They could've given Kamala Harris work to make her more popular and likeable.

Instead, they gave Harris the impossible task of dealing with the border.  Mayor Pete has fumbled a couple of the big opportunities he had to make a splash nationally.  No one in Congress stepped up to have a high profile.  No one stepped up, and even if Biden didn't want to run, he might *have* to run because there's no one else.  Biden is unpopular, but Harris is just as unpopular.  If Biden didn't run, who would even be able to run in his place, and would that person have any more of a chance than Biden does?

They had years to build a deep bench, and what do they have to show for it?  Gretchen Whitmer?  Gavin Newsom? 

Scary times.

So this little demonic s.o.b. won, and I’m surely about to lose my job because of it

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2023-e … or-results

How will you lose your job?

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

How will you lose your job?

He wants to restructure the Department of Public Safety and centralize.  I would need to commute two and a half hours a day (five hours total) or move.  All this so that he could save nickels and dimes in relation to the budget (over 700 million of our state’s revenue wasn’t even spent last year).

But the real motivation is that he has some irrational hatred for the department.  He wants to destroy it and re-make it so that it’s unrecognizable and a footnote in history.

He’s been leading up to all of this for over two years.  They’ve been making it so hard that people quit and then not hiring people to replace them which makes it harder and makes more people quit, etc.  He’s just been scared to pull the final trigger on the killing blow until the election was over.

Ugh, that sucks.  I assume moving out of state isn't an easy or workable thing for you to do?

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

So around the time of this, I read an article that told everyone thinking the way that I was thinking to chill out.  The reasons were:

- Trump is campaigning and Biden isn't.  So if there's news about 2024, it's news about Trump (or the also-rans in the GOP primary) ragging on Biden and life in America.  So we're only getting one part of the argument, and Biden hasn't had the chance to respond with how life under Biden is better than life was under Trump.  The economy hasn't fully rebounded, gas prices are higher than they were, inflation is still an issue, we are now involved in these wars, etc.  When Biden and his surrogates are able to blitz the media with a more positive message, people should move closer to Biden.
- Saying you'll vote for Trump over Biden is one thing.  But actually voting for Trump over Biden, especially if you did the opposite in 2020 is another thing entirely.
- The other elections are going really well for Democrats.

Obviously, last night was a good night for Democrats.  There were big wins for Democrats in Virginia, Ohio, and Kentucky.  Obviously, those things aren't necessarily indicative of 2024.  There are clearly Republicans in those places that didn't vote in 2023 that will vote in 2024 for Trump.  There are one-issue voters , and that one issue is TRUMP.  They don't care about the governor of Kentucky or abortion amendments or the Virginia Senate.

But these are still big wins and indications that Democrats are ready to show up in the polls.  And that makes me feel better.  Democrats have somewhat-abandoned Biden since 2020, at least in polls, but they're still active and they're still winning.  MAGA keeps losing.

I still hope the Biden campaign is taking these numbers seriously.  They need to spend the next year listening to young men (particularly black men) and working on their concerns.  They need to raise the profile of Kamala Harris.  They cannot lose any more POC, and Biden needs to be listening and focusing on their concerns.  Not just words, either.  Actual progress.

TF wrote about Governor Tate Reeves:

TemporalFlux wrote:

So this little demonic s.o.b. won, and I’m surely about to lose my job because of it

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2023-e … or-results

TemporalFlux wrote:

He wants to restructure the Department of Public Safety and centralize.  I would need to commute two and a half hours a day (five hours total) or move.  All this so that he could save nickels and dimes in relation to the budget (over 700 million of our state’s revenue wasn’t even spent last year).

But the real motivation is that he has some irrational hatred for the department.  He wants to destroy it and re-make it so that it’s unrecognizable and a footnote in history.

He’s been leading up to all of this for over two years.  They’ve been making it so hard that people quit and then not hiring people to replace them which makes it harder and makes more people quit, etc.  He’s just been scared to pull the final trigger on the killing blow until the election was over.

I'm very sorry to hear this, Temporal Flux. I haven't been posting daily as is my wont because I didn't feel it appropriate to talk about culture and such without conveying my sympathies first. Feel free to email me if you want me to handle the Sliders.tv hosting bill from now on.

I have read Governor Tate Reeves' Wikipedia entry and I had to triple-check to make sure this wasn't the Wiki entry for a fictional supervillain. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tate_Reeves

I am angry and upset that Temporal Flux's employment is in danger due to Reeves' re-election. TF has never gone into detail about his job in public, so I won't touch on it here, but his work for the Mississippi Department of Public Safety is vital, critical and lifesaving. I have gone through a training program for TF's job and applied to work that job and I washed out so badly that my respect for TF quadrupled.

Reeves is a nutjob who told people to combat COVID-19 with prayer rather than masks, held mass gatherings during the height of the pandemic, misappropriated welfare funds, supported presidential election fraud, denied the existence of systemic racism, and now he's going after Temporal Flux.

As someone who failed to enter TF's profession (and failed so hard people still laugh about it), I'm not equipped to offer any professional advice.

However, everyone on Sliders.tv knows: Temporal Flux is a dynamic and brilliant mind, a fountain of information, a relentlessly analytical mind that predicts what's coming long before anyone else has noticed it on the horizon. This includes the threat of inflation and cryptocurrency being a scam. (Thanks to Temporal Flux, I never bought any of Felicia Day's crypto coin even though I wanted to support her.)

Everyone who reads TF's posts can tell that he's thoughtful, clever, resourceful, reasonable, and an asset to any friend group, any team, any organization, any endeavour, any enterprise, any mission. Everyone who's ever talked to TF has walked away smarter and better whether they knew it or not.

I hate Tate Reeves more than I ever hated David Peckinpah.

2,194 (edited by RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan 2023-11-11 19:35:24)

That really sucks to hear TF.

Public Safety is the most undervalued asset of local government.  It's one of the core functions.

I am sure the governor is so divorced from the vital work, he shouldn't be making an efficiency optimization like that as he disrupts your work and seems to be draining the institutional knowledge around it.   Another sign of the dysfunction of the current times. Sigh.

Reeves is also a major player in this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackson,_ … ter_crisis

I am really sorry to hear, TF. It always sucks when a rethuglican wins, but even more so when it negatively affects the people you care about.

That party needs major reform. Starting with becoming rational folks again who are not married to Trump and right wing extremism.

Sadly, too many politicians out their personal agendas ahead of serving their constituents

After six doses of Moderna, I have received one dose of Pfizer. The pharmacy was out of Moderna.

I'm told that due to lower mRNA content, the side effects will be lower, but the immune system will still learn how to identify the COVID virus and mount a defense.

From the STAR TREK thread:
https://sliders.tv/bboard/viewtopic.php … 901#p14901

RussianCabbie_Lotteryfan wrote:

It's kinda idiotic to me why people would question wearing a mask in a crowd at a hockey game. 

It's not like he was wearing it outdoors.  Some people don't care if they don't get sick but some people do.  If you do, then the time to still mask is in a large crowd.

I've heard of people getting sick after attending sporting events.  I don't know really to what degree sporting events are places where transmission would be high because arenas/domes have huge ceilings and stadiums are open air.  They are not small enclosed spaces.  But if you are sitting next to the wrong person for 2 hours, well that might be an issue.

Anyway, it's weird that will wheaton had to explain himself but I do give him credit for the grace at which he answered this when the conversation shouldn't still be having to be had.  And that's not to say one shouldn't respect those who do the opposite. Live and let live, make choices right for you.  Anyway, I admire the way Wheaton handled this.  He's a good guy.

Wil Wheaton's blog entry on masking is here:
https://wilwheaton.net/2023/11/mind-you … be-a-dick/

While outdoor transmission risk is negligible, a mask reduces it to non-existent. But even then, I don't see why anyone needs to take issue with anyone else's headwear.

Grizzlor wrote:

COVID baloney.  It's just simply Wil Wheaton.  Forever, he was one of the biggest grouches at conventions, and had a 100% NO TOUCHING policy.  He's parlayed his warped hatred towards his immediate family into his shtick.  I could 1000% imagine Wil Wheaton not only doing the (now completely overdone) virtue signaled masking, but then never missing an opportunity to be Mr. Outrage and furthering his own cause, "grace" or otherwise.  Honestly, I had to begrudgingly force myself through the Trek post-show's that he's hosted, as I'm sure most of his old co-stars have as well, with him there.  He's not exactly part of that "family."

I'm finding some of this baffling. I recognize that Wil Wheaton has offended you due to his behaviour at fan gatherings. You're someone who pays for the chance to meet actors, and I take it that Wheaton has failed to give you a good experience on at least one occasion. I have never met Wheaton and don't know what he's like in person, I've only read his books, and I've recently been informed that the writer is not their writing. I am sorry that you had a bad experience with Wheaton.

However, I don't see why you, someone who regularly declared the supremacy of N95s over all other masks, would take issue with a minor-league celebrity answering a question on his blog, explaining why he wears masks at indoor gatherings, and using his platform and near-non-existent fame to normalize wearing masks at public events to ward off illness. Note that the mask he was wearing, which looks to me like a KF94, is what I myself wear.

The thing about KF94 and KN95 masks: they block particles going in and out, unlike a surgical which only blocks particles going out. When you wear a surgical mask, you need everyone else to wear one too or you might as well not wear it at all. When you wear a KF94 or a KN95, you don't need anyone else around you to wear one; the protection is going both ways. To wear one of these masks is to tell everyone around you that your measures are for you and sufficient for you.

I'll respond to the other stuff in the STAR TREK thread when the Pfizer isn't hitting me as hard, but if you dislike Wil Wheaton, I am absolutely sure he did something to incur your wrath.

I should note: despite my masking with a KF94 in public and outside my private office at work, installing a HEPA air purifier in my private office, bringing a battery powered air purifier to restaurants, and getting a flu shot every year (along with two COVID vaccines every year), I still caught a cold a few weeks ago and still have a lingering post-viral cough. But it is my first cold in three years.

ireactions wrote:

I should note: despite my masking with a KF94 in public and outside my private office at work, installing a HEPA air purifier in my private office, bringing a battery powered air purifier to restaurants, and getting a flu shot every year (along with two COVID vaccines every year), I still caught a cold a few weeks ago and still have a lingering post-viral cough. But it is my first cold in three years.

Personal note: I have stopped, for the most part, wearing a mask all the time.  I got the new Covid shot (and the flu shot), and I have worn a mask the rare times I've flown on an airplane.  I've gone to sporting events, and I recently saw the Marvels without a mask (which was rare, I've masked up to see every movie I've seen in theaters - as I said in the Disney thread, I saw that movie with almost no notice).  We don't go out to eat a ton or go out in general much, but it's impossible to get my kids to properly mask and I feel like they're more likely to get me sick than a stranger.

I think about it every time I don't mask, though.

What I think is interesting about it from either perspective is that being sick sucks.  Not just Covid or the flu.  Getting any respiratory illness just sucks.  Feeling sick, having a sore throat, having a cough, not being able to breathe out your nose - it's all annoying and debilitating.

And, yeah, during the pandemic lockdown time, none of us got sick.  I don't think I got sick in 2020 or 2021.  Fall, winter, spring, cold and flu season, any of it.  And it was great.

So it's not just Covid virtue signaling.  I think it's a reasonable decision to wear a mask for a couple of hours in exchange for not feeling sick for days/weeks.  It's mildly uncomfortable, but if you're watching a movie or a sporting event or whatever, you'll probably be distracted enough by that not to notice.

2,202 (edited by QuinnSlidr 2023-11-21 08:19:52)

Personal status update:

I have not stopped wearing masks. And I haven't been sick since July of 2019. I also have all of my updated Covid boosters including the most recent one as of October 20, 2023. I continue to wear a KN95 mask every time I go out. Simply because I live with my 67 year old mother who would probably die if I brought home Covid-19.

I went to a work conference last week - the first time I have been in a large crowd (1600+) since the pandemic started. And I wore my mask. But nobody said anything.

Still no illnesses in this house since 2019. I like not being sick.

I don't find masks uncomfortable at all. Not even mildly. Takes me 1 second to put on, 1 second to remove. Good trade-off to protect others. I'll do it. Even with hearing aids in both ears.

2,203 (edited by ireactions 2023-11-23 19:22:11)

MODERATOR NOTE: ireactions here. This post contains misinformation about the efficacy of masks and vaccines. This is not acceptable. This poster is warned not to post further misinformation about masks and vaccines going forward.

This post further declares that only sexual abuse counts as child abuse. This minimization and dismissiveness of other forms of abuse is outrageous and unacceptable. This poster is warned not to minimize the experiences of abuse survivors going forward.

ireactions wrote:

I'm finding some of this baffling. I recognize that Wil Wheaton has offended you due to his behaviour at fan gatherings. You're someone who pays for the chance to meet actors, and I take it that Wheaton has failed to give you a good experience on at least one occasion. I have never met Wheaton and don't know what he's like in person, I've only read his books, and I've recently been informed that the writer is not their writing. I am sorry that you had a bad experience with Wheaton.

However, I don't see why you, someone who regularly declared the supremacy of N95s over all other masks, would take issue with a minor-league celebrity answering a question on his blog, explaining why he wears masks at indoor gatherings, and using his platform and near-non-existent fame to normalize wearing masks at public events to ward off illness. Note that the mask he was wearing, which looks to me like a KF94, is what I myself wear.

The thing about KF94 and KN95 masks: they block particles going in and out, unlike a surgical which only blocks particles going out. When you wear a surgical mask, you need everyone else to wear one too or you might as well not wear it at all. When you wear a KF94 or a KN95, you don't need anyone else around you to wear one; the protection is going both ways. To wear one of these masks is to tell everyone around you that your measures are for you and sufficient for you.

I'll respond to the other stuff in the STAR TREK thread when the Pfizer isn't hitting me as hard, but if you dislike Wil Wheaton, I am absolutely sure he did something to incur your wrath.

Celebrities are hypocrites, and hilariously bad ones at that.  Wil Wheaton is at the top of this list.  This really has nothing to do with his masking, it's just the person.  He was once a working young actor, and when his career dried up, he pivoted to what he does over the last few decades and good for him.  However, a large part of what he does now, career wise, is playing victim.  He disowned his entire family, which in and of itself is something I personally can't wrap myself around.  They didn't sexually abuse him.  They had him work as an actor and supposedly took advantage of him finally, and for that he relates them all to the Devil, even his siblings who had nothing to do with that.  Again, this is Wil's shtick.  He charges a laughable price at conventions, where again, don't go near him.  He's miserable even when you go to get his autograph. 

MODERATOR FACT CHECK: This poster is falsely claiming that children are only truly abused if they are sexually abused. This is completely false. Children can be abused and exploited in many ways, from labour exploitation, financial exploitation, assault without sexual assault, emotional abuse, neglect, gaslighting, and more, and just because this poster can't wrap their head around it doesn't mean these forms of abuse don't exist. Furthermore, any survivor of abuse has the right to cut off contact from their abuser, and any survivor of abuse has the right to tell their stories, regardless of this poster's approval or disapproval.

Resources on forms of child abuse:

https://www.healthyplace.com/abuse/chil … hild-abuse

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/241532

If one wishes to wear a mask everywhere, that's that person's choice, same as getting the vaccine.  I truly have massive regret in how that was handled.  I think the mandates were un-American, and frankly Dr. Fauci should have been fired by Trump but he was too afraid of being blamed for the virus.  The "science" on masking as well as vaccines has progressively been less and less agreeable to the mandates on both.  Even the vaunted N95 masks are not going to protect you over a reasonable period of time from airborne disease.  It's great that QuinnSlidr has not been sick, but there are a multitude of factors beyond masking that may be the reason for that.  Boosters IMO, ehhh, it's like the flu shot, probably worthwhile for the elderly or immune compromised but really of little benefit for the general public.  The fact these CDC doctors continue to pronounce what is or is not advisable with what is still absolute questionable data is ridiculous. 

Again, I am not some crazy Trumper here, but the way the pandemic was handled was an outright disaster.  The damage done to children's schooling, the mentally ill and addicted, not to mention the economic repercussions.  The massive inflation, which is now subsiding but still will cost Joe Biden in 2024, is a direct result of that.  The problem was Trump was too hated and untrustworthy on the subject.  China is still an economic disaster as the result of their policies.  You cannot stop the world over a virus.  There will be more of them.  More and more.  The level of pollution, treatment of animals, global warming, and idiotic garbage like "gain of function" research promoted by the medical elites (such as Fauci) will trigger additional epidemics.  Pandemics happen due to public policy, there's really no actual reason to have them.  Civilization was not at risk. 

Personally, I'll wear a mask in a hospital, because the germs are out of control, nowhere else.  Done with them, I threw them out.  Done with boosters, their efficacy simply isn't proven.

MODERATOR FACT CHECK: Masks with electrostatic filtering and a good seal are effective in filtering viral particles from inhalation. It's a technology that's existed since 1907 and is used in surgical masks, KN95 masks, N95 masks and KF94 masks. Please rely on medically and scientifically verified sources for information on masks.

https://www.ama-assn.org/delivering-car … -work-best

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrost … ecipitator

COVID-19 and flu vaccines are effective at mitigating infection, symptoms, and preventiong hospitalization and death. Please rely on medically and scientifically verified sources for information on vaccines.

https://medlineplus.gov/genetics/unders … avaccines/

https://www.nfid.org/news-updates/media … 24-season/

Sorry Grizzlor, but most of what you're spouting is right wing anti-vaxx propaganda. You might not be a crazy Trumper, but what you're saying is rooted in that propaganda. They aren't facts.

Dr. Fauci is a hero for everything he has done for us.

Grizzlor, your post is unacceptable. It's one thing to have a negative opinion about a public figure, although it's beyond me why your own family relationships would have any bearing whatsoever on how Wil Wheaton relates to his. But your misinformation on masks and vaccination will not be tolerated.

Masks with electrostatic filtering and a good seal are effective in filtering viral particles from inhalation. It's a technology that's existed since 1907 and is used in surgical masks, KN95 masks, N95 masks and KF94 masks. To claim otherwise is lying, deceitful, fraudulent misinformation. This will not be allowed here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrost … ecipitator

https://www.ama-assn.org/delivering-car … -work-best

mRNA vaccines are effective in mitigating infection, lessening symptoms and preventing hospitalization and death by introducing messenger ribonucleic acid that corresponds to a protein in the outer membrane of a virus, teaching the human immune system to recognize the presence of that virus and create an antibody response. Each new mRNA vaccine has been retailored to more recent mutations of COVID-19.

Flu shots in 2023 use deactivated or weakened versions of circulating flu viruses to train the immune system to develop antibodies as well. They These vaccines are also effective at mitigating severity, hospitalization and death.

Furthermore, to call the 2023 COVID vaccines a "booster" is severely misinformed; a booster is to increase existing immunity. The updated COVID-vaccine for newer variants is effectively a new COVID vaccine, much in the same way a flu shot each year is not a "booster" on the previous year.

https://medlineplus.gov/genetics/unders … avaccines/

https://www.nfid.org/news-updates/media … 24-season/

It's one thing to say the pandemic wasn't well-managed, to disagree with mask mandates and vaccine mandates and lockdowns, to say that viruses are inevitable, to say that you yourself no longer mask and get vaccinations. Those are about your own conduct and your own opinion. But flat out misinformation will not be tolerated. Consider this a moderator warning.

I wanted to take a few days to mull this over this other item, one of the more absurd and ridiculous things I have ever seen on this message board (yes, more ridiculous than my fanfic or confessionals):

Grizzlor wrote:
Wil Wheaton is at the top of this list.  This really has nothing to do with his masking, it's just the person.  He was once a working young actor, and when his career dried up, he pivoted to what he does over the last few decades and good for him.  However, a large part of what he does now, career wise, is playing victim.  He disowned his entire family, which in and of itself is something I personally can't wrap myself around.  They didn't sexually abuse him.  They had him work as an actor and supposedly took advantage of him finally, and for that he relates them all to the Devil, even his siblings who had nothing to do with that.  Again, this is Wil's shtick.

This ridiculous quote from Grizzlor claims that the only form of child abuse is sexual abuse. This is completely false both sociologically and legally. Child abuse can take on many forms: physical and mental abuse, emotionally abuse, gaslighting, neglect, labour exploitation, and more. To claim otherwise is false information and will not be allowed here either. Consider this another moderator warning.

https://www.healthyplace.com/abuse/chil … hild-abuse
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/241532

Grizzlor's comments are an insult to every survivor of child abuse. They are an insult towards me.

Furthermore, Grizzlor, your summary of Wheaton's grievances against his family show you have zero awareness of his issues with them: how they stole his STAR TREK residuals, left him struggling to pay for food and housing, perpetually on the verge of homelessness, and left him in that situation over over a decade until he discovered they had been intercepting his residuals.

You touch on none of that, which means that you are either willfully ignoring the facts (the way you have ignored the facts of how vaccines and masks work as specified in the studies with immunologists to which you linked before you became an anti-vaxxer) -- or you're just presenting yet another uninformed, off the cuff reaction like when you insulted LOWER DECKS before you'd seen it and insulted PRODIGY despite having never seen it.

In addition to Wheaton's family stealing his STAR TREK residuals, they also lent him money and demanded he pay it back with interest; he later discovered that money he was paying back was his own residual payments. Wheaton has plenty of reason for Wheaton to cut off contact. And then we have your asinine take:

Grizzlor wrote:
He disowned his entire family, which in and of itself is something I personally can't wrap myself around.

Who exactly died and put you in charge of evaluating whether or not people should maintain relationships with abusive family members? Has the self-importance of posing for photos with the cast of SLIDERS gone to your head?

Who appointed you the chieftain of whether or not Wil Wheaton talks to his abusive family, or whether or not I talk to mine? Who the hell do you think you are?

I took a few days to look into this, and I am not obligated to keep in touch with my abusive relatives. No one is obligated to maintain any relationship they don't want to have just to stay within the realm of what Grizzlor can wrap his head around, not anyone, not me, and certainly not Wil Wheaton.

It is beyond me why you have simply decided, because you don't like Wil Wheaton, that he could not possibly have been abused as a child. It is outrageous that as far as you are concerned, the only abuse a child can suffer is sexual abuse, and that any other parental abuse is not really abuse and that survivors shouldn't speak about it or cease contact with their abuser because you can't wrap your head around it.

Grizzlor, you declaring that only sexual abuse is real abuse is misinformation on the same level as providing public health misinformation that masks don't work and vaccines don't work.

Those are lies that can harm others because they encourage people not to protect their rights, to tolerate assault and abuse, and to not safeguard their own well-being. It has no place on any internet forum that has any concern for truth.

It's one thing for you to ignorantly brag about not liking LOWER DECKS (when you hadn't watched it) and PRODIGY (when you haven't watched it), or to ignorantly claim that radioplays are a substitute for TV, or to ignorantly declare that Marvel would make more money from movies if they sold all their movie rights to Sony and FOX so that Sony and FOX could make all the movies and the money from the movies (think about it). That's harmless in itself.

And it was even relatively harmless when you ignorantly claimed that only NIOSH-approved N95 masks were protective (when electrostatic filtration is not exclusive to N95 masks) because you were recommending excellent masks even if you were ignorantly dismissing other masks. But now your ignorant attitude has turned to dismissing the facts of child abuse and public health which are real and serious situations.

Your misinformation regarding child abuse is not acceptable. I will be editing your post to add my apologies to anyone who has to witness your appalling conduct and increasingly deranged behaviour here.

Maybe you should stick to posting your celebrity photos and attacking STAR TREK shows you haven't watched.

2,207 (edited by ireactions 2023-12-01 14:41:26)

MODERATOR WARNING: This post contains misrepresentations of mRNA vaccines and false claims regarding electrostatic masks. The next time this poster makes false claims regarding public health and safety, they will be banned for a week. The next incident will lead to a one month ban. An incident after that will lead to a permanent ban.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize this forum about a television show was in reality a graduate level discussion board at Johns Hopkins.  But I'll play along because you are putting words in my mouth.

1. I know how flu vaccines work, they are developed based on data from each hemisphere, because it's winter in one, and summer in the other.  The vaccine companies then use this data to HEDGE repeat HEDGE on which flu strains they expect to be most prevalent.  I've gotten plenty of flu shots, and I know that sometimes they guess wrong and you aren't very protected.  Oh well, it is what it is. 

MODERATOR NOTE FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: This poster is dismissing the value of flu shots as formulated by guesswork. Flu shots are formulated based on extensive surveillance and forecasting data across 114 countries in the World Health Organization (WHO) Global Influenza Surveillance and Response System. It is not completely accurate forecasting, but it is not random guesswork. Due to numerous strains of influenza, the annual flu shot cannot offer complete protection, and strains not within the annual shot may arise. Statistically, a flu shot still reduces the risk of illness among the overall population by 40 to 60 percent and is worthwhile protection.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/vaccineeffect.htm

2. I never said anything about flu vaccines previoiusly, and those are NOT mRNA vaccines anyway.  Now, when it comes to COVID vaccines, after the first vaccines were passed by FDA, subsequent iterations are tested only in a lab, that's called a PRECLINICAL trial.  They are NOT tested on humans.  Furthermore, they are tested on the "currently circulating" virus, and as we have seen with COVID, it mutates quickly, like any coronovirus does, and so the vaccine being administered are, ironically, like flu vaccines, just targeting what the researchers decide is their best guess.  Again, this is fine, and anyone who wishes to take it is fine by me.  In terms of efficacy of those vaccines, the only clinical trials were conducted on people and released back in December 2020, as I said before.  At the time, the vaccines had tremendous performance against the pre-Delta/Omicron COVID strands.  Once it mutated to those, the vaccines at the time had large drops in effectiveness, so out came the "boosters."  Which by the way, is not my term, that is the term the media and even pharma uses on Covid vaccines!  What you are currently being sold, by pharmaceuticals, is NOT clinically tested, and neither you nor I can actually claim efficacy  because there has not been actual human research.  Lab research IMO is not sufficient, because most things that work in a petri dish do not work in human trial.  Any researcher would admit to this. 

https://www.yalemedicine.org/news/covid … comparison

MODERATOR FACT CHECK: This poster has falsely characterized new mRNA vaccines as not responsive to current versions of COVID-19. This is false.

New mRNA vaccines are reformulated to target the lineage of recent COVID-19 variants, a lineage from which currently circulating variants of COVID-19 would have emerged. The original mRNA vaccine mechanism of spike protein generation for immune system response against the original COVID-19 virus has proven effective over the course of mass distribution beginning in 2021.

The reformulated vaccines, while not a perfect match to currently circulating variants, have sufficient efficiency from lineage targeting to recognize the new variants and create an immune system response.

While the immune response is imperfect, it is sufficient to ward off severe illness, hospitalization, and death.

https://publichealth.jhu.edu/2023/what- … inter-2023

This poster's protest that the specific reformulated vaccine has not received full human trials is unreasonable for a vaccine that must be reformulated every 6 - 12 months and can practically receive only abbreviated clinical trials. The underlying mRNA vaccine technology has been tested since 2013, the underlying COVID-19 vaccine technology has been further reviewed during the urgent roll-out of 2021 and continues to this day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MRNA_vaccine

3. You technically agreed with what I said about masks.  If you're not wearing an N95, you are likely unprotected.
Secondly, you completely passed right over what I said about the other mitigating factors in regards to disease prevention and spread.  People who are healthy, mask, vaccine, or not, have been proven to have an extremely lower level of risk from infectious disease.  It's simple biology.  Those who are not, probably should consider things like vaccines and/or masks.  I could just as easily argue that COVID's "decrease" is due to "herd immunity," and the wearing of masks is now unnecessary.  Given that mandates have stopped pretty much everywhere, I'd not be wrong, no?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10446908/

But to be "scientific," here is the NIH study of other studies on the subject of mask efficacy, in terms of wearing, types, and the mandates.  They found that most of the studies were problematic, because they were observational rather than experimental.  Now I HATED reading these kinds of materials in grad school, but the Results section you will find that the studies were flawed and the results were all across the board.  So before you "moderate" me for saying the science is not settled on these things, perhaps you can admit the science is NOT settled?  Which was my point.  Do masks work?  Obviously YES they work to some degree, I'm not an idiot.  The science however, is simply not conclusively proven, because there are again, a multitude of environmental factors.  It's called everyday life, and while anyone is free to wear a mask, I am also free to continue to doubt that choice.  Same as those who shout about the undeniable health benefits of being a vegan, which again, not conclusive that fully eliminating meat products is the way to go.

MODERATOR FACT CHECK: This poster claims that only N95 masks offer protection. This is false.

Masks with electrostatic filtering and a good seal are effective in filtering viral particles from inhalation. Electrostatic filtration is a technology that has existed since 1907 and is used in surgical masks, KN95 masks, N95 masks and KF94 masks. Electrostatic filtration is not limited to N95 masks.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr … espirators

This poster cites "mitigating factors". These factors have no bearing on the proven filtration efficacy of well-sealed electrostatic masks in blocking particles, droplets and aerosols from being inhaled by a mask wearer.

4. We come to Mr. Wheaton, and you know what, yes, you are absolutely correct, I was LAZY, and didn't research his multitude of claims.  I have in fact heard them all, because I heard him on Rosenbaum's podcast recount them all.  Again, it was laziness.  However, I would never discount child abuse and its lasting effects intentionally.  I do apologize if that's how it came across, and that is the ONLY thing I'm apologizing for writing here.

In conclusion, you can "moderate" all you like, but in my opinion, pointing to an article which itself is merely a collection of best recommendations, as if that is scientific law, is acceptable?  How is my questioning the lack of high level scientific consensus "misinformation?"  When as I showed, the scientists themselves can't agree on most any of this.  I really DON'T feel like discussing viruses and masks here regardless, but I also defend the first amendment, there is no more important human right. 

QuinnSlidr wrote:

Sorry Grizzlor, but most of what you're spouting is right wing anti-vaxx propaganda. You might not be a crazy Trumper, but what you're saying is rooted in that propaganda. They aren't facts.

Dr. Fauci is a hero for everything he has done for us.

He was once a "hero" during the AIDS era.  Since that point, he's been a bureaucrat, which is fine.  He was in a no-win situation given the President was a complete moron.  He DID preface most of what he advised as simply that, best-guesses.  He tried to be optimistic.

Where Fauci was dead wrong was in directed massive funds to gain of function research, which was going on in Wuhan because you couldn't get that kind of madness passed a regulator in the USA or most of Europe.  Was that the origin of COVID?  Very possibly.  He and even Trump tried to dispel that notion, when in reality there should have been immediate and loud criticism of China.  They couldn't do that, because their hands were "dirty."  Let me say this, I don't know when, but there will come a reckoning to which the "work" of Fauci's NIH gain of function research is placed right alongside garbage like MK Ultra.  No one will ever be brought to justice over that, of course, that's the American way. 

IMO, he failed in his role as chief bureaucrat of NIH.  His ethical compass was compromised, at some point.  He has been dismissive of actual medical criticism over the years, alleged by scores of reputable and unbiased researchers in his own field.  You can call that conspiratorial if you like, but it's based on well-known public information.  He's no hero.  Not a fan of being labeled a propagandist when again, the science is not settled.  Being anti-vaxx would be these people who scream about autism or that microchips are being implanted.  Those have zero basis in fact.

Dr. Fauci is still a hero, Grizzlor. Despite what republicans want to say to further their BS agenda. Everything above is a right wing extremist lie.

You just went off the deep end about free speech, and you expect me to take you seriously?

To be as polite as possible, Grizzlor, but sorry - you're dead wrong. And your side will always be wrong, because all republicans can do is lie.

Grizzlor's laughably and willfully poor reading comprehension on masks continues:

Grizzlor wrote:

You technically agreed with what I said about masks.  If you're not wearing an N95, you are likely unprotected.

Grizzlor, you are lying. Since 2021, I've written post after post about how you are completely wrong to claim only N95 masks work:

https://sliders.tv/bboard/viewtopic.php … 774#p11774
https://sliders.tv/bboard/viewtopic.php … 776#p11776
https://sliders.tv/bboard/viewtopic.php … 778#p11778
https://sliders.tv/bboard/viewtopic.php … 780#p11780
https://sliders.tv/bboard/viewtopic.php … 783#p11783

Posted by me in 2022:

ireactions wrote:
https://sliders.tv/bboard/viewtopic.php … 267#p13267

One of the things that I found bizarre and likely due to low information: a lot of people declared that any non-N95 mask was worthless and couldn't protect. That's like saying that any non-Ford car can't start.

N95 may be the most well-known brand and Ford may have been the most prominent car, but prominence isn't exclusivity. Ford isn't the sole manufacturer of internal combustion engines and the electrostatic filtering is not restricted to N95 masks.

I have never said that N95 masks are the only mask that protect. Lots of non-N95 masks have electrostatic filtration, a proven means of mitigating viral transmission by filtering droplet and aerosol transmission. Electrostatic filters have existed since 1907 and are used in air conditioning, KF94 masks, KN95 masks, surgical masks and N95 masks. Electrostatic filters catch viral particles, that's basic engineering. The filtration is unaffected by rants about individual health conditions or mandates or brand loyalty to N95s.

You're just lying.

Grizzlor wrote:

We come to Mr. Wheaton, and you know what, yes, you are absolutely correct, I was LAZY, and didn't research his multitude of claims.  I have in fact heard them all, because I heard him on Rosenbaum's podcast recount them all

Grizzlor, you've been informed repeatedly, by me, of Wil Wheaton's claims against his family in the STAR TREK thread on two separate occasions. You also confess to listening to Wheaton's claims in a podcast, so you were fully aware of his claims.

Yet, you claim you were ignorant of Wheaton's family issues in the same paragraph where you describe listening to them. You are lying. It's like you think I can't scroll up or re-read previous posts or previous sentences.

Grizzlor claims that without full human trials, a vaccine should be considered useless. This impossible standard would prevent every annual vaccine from being updated in time to save anyone from illness. Such a standard only serves Grizzlor's anti-vaxxer fervor.

Reformulations for annual and bi-annual vaccines receive abbreviated clinical trials. The underlying technology is under constant review. Full human trials for reformulated vaccines would be like buying a new kettle for each tea bag.

The flu vaccine has 40 - 60 percent efficiency in reducing influenza because it's based on forecasting flu viruses. It's not random guesswork as Grizzlor claims, but based on extensive surveillance data. While strains of influenza exist outside the annual shot, a 40 - 60 percent reduction in chance of illness is worth the dose.

The current 2023 COVID vaccine isn't engineered for the currently dominant variant, but it's targeting its very-recent lineage. Antibodies for variants of lineage, while not able to fully prevent infection in current strains, have sufficient cross-application to ward off severe illness, hospitalization and death.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/vaccineeffect.htm
https://publichealth.jhu.edu/2023/what- … inter-2023
https://www.yalemedicine.org/news/updat … gs-to-know

As a seventh dose recipient of a COVID-19 vaccine, I complete regular questionnaires for ongoing study of this vaccine.

Grizzlor is demanding comprehensive clinical results that no annually and bi-annually reformulated vaccine can offer. It's a specious, disingenuous argument, effectively a lie.

In terms of masks, Grizzlor's claims are lies or red herrings: he cites the absence of mask mandates, refers to COVID statistics, none of which have any bearing on a simple fact: electrostatic filters catch viruses.

You know, Grizzlor, if you're going to lie to me, at least lie competently.

Grizzlor wrote:

November 21, 2023
the flu shot, probably worthwhile for the elderly or immune compromised but really of little benefit for the general public.

Grizzlor wrote:

November 30, 2023
I never said anything about flu vaccines previoiusly,

You are either a liar or you are so disordered and disoriented that you can't keep track of your own writing from sentence to sentence. Personally, I think you're a liar and you have used up any benefit of the doubt.

You are an egotistical fool who thinks it's up to you to tell people they are obligated to maintain relationships with abusive family members because you just "can't wrap" your head around cutting ties with abusers.
https://sliders.tv/bboard/viewtopic.php … 921#p14921

You are an ignorant twit who accused me of "fake news" for mentioning that Allison Mack was being investigated for sex trafficking for her cult, and your accusation was based solely on the fact that Mack posed for a photo with you. (By the way, Mack recently finished her prison sentence after pleading guilty to all charges.)
https://sliders.tv/bboard/viewtopic.php?pid=6988#p6988

You are a hapless oaf who blames FOX executives for SLIDERS' mismanagement during a discussion of its seasons on the Sci-Fi Channel.
https://sliders.tv/bboard/viewtopic.php?pid=8381#p8381

Public health is not a subject for your fumbling incompetence. Public health isn't STAR TREK or JOHN WICK or MORTAL KOMBAT or SLIDERS. If you want to engage in inane rants on popular culture, you go right ahead, but public health actually matters.

Grizzlor, if you continue to falsely claim that vaccines don't work or masks don't work and discourage people from masks or vaccination, you will be banned for a week. A second violation will see you banned for 30 days. A third violation will be your last.

Moderation, like electrostatic filtration and spike protein recognition, doesn't require your respect in order to work.

2,210 (edited by Grizzlor 2023-12-05 21:07:00)

This is not some widely read or distributed medical review.  No one is reading anything here, what any of us say on this thread is not affecting public health policy.  It's a tiny SCIENCE FICTION MESSAGE BOARD!  You can post links, and I can post links in rebuttal, and you can once again put words in my mouth, and so and so on.

ireactions wrote:

Grizzlor, you've been informed repeatedly, by me, of Wil Wheaton's claims against his family in the STAR TREK thread on two separate occasions. You also confess to listening to Wheaton's claims in a podcast, so you were fully aware of his claims.

Yet, you claim you were ignorant of Wheaton's family issues in the same paragraph where you describe listening to them. You are lying. It's like you think I can't scroll up or re-read previous posts or previous sentences.

Here again, I said I FORGOT about what he said, because I heard it once and didn't recall.  My GOD I forgot what I heard on a podcast, driving in my car, months and months ago.  I listen to podcasts all the time, and yeah details fade.  I suppose I should have been asking for your medical opinion on my memory recall.  And SORRY but I originally meant the rest of his family, i.e. his siblings, who did not abuse him nor steal from him if I recall from the podcast.  This I do recall, which was that he said because they still speak to the parents, he will not speak to them.  I found that unfortunate and disagreed with that, but again, it's his life, so he's free to do what he pleases.  Moreover, I never READ what you wrote on Wil in the Star Trek thread, since I was busy reading your diatribe in this thread.  Again, I was lazy and not fully articulate, and before I even had the chance to clarify myself, I'm deemed a child abuser.  Lovely.

ireactions wrote:

You are either a liar or you are so disordered and disoriented that you can't keep track of your own writing from sentence to sentence. Personally, I think you're a liar and you have used up any benefit of the doubt.

You are an egotistical fool who thinks it's up to you to tell people they are obligated to maintain relationships with abusive family members because you just "can't wrap" your head around cutting ties with abusers.
https://sliders.tv/bboard/viewtopic.php … 921#p14921

You are an ignorant twit who accused me of "fake news" for mentioning that Allison Mack was being investigated for sex trafficking for her cult, and your accusation was based solely on the fact that Mack posed for a photo with you. (By the way, Mack recently finished her prison sentence after pleading guilty to all charges.)
https://sliders.tv/bboard/viewtopic.php?pid=6988#p6988

You are a hapless oaf who blames FOX executives for SLIDERS' mismanagement during a discussion of its seasons on the Sci-Fi Channel.
https://sliders.tv/bboard/viewtopic.php?pid=8381#p8381

Public health is not a subject for your fumbling incompetence. Public health isn't STAR TREK or JOHN WICK or MORTAL KOMBAT or SLIDERS. If you want to engage in inane rants on popular culture, you go right ahead, but public health actually matters.

Grizzlor, if you continue to falsely claim that vaccines don't work or masks don't work and discourage people from masks or vaccination, you will be banned for a week. A second violation will see you banned for 30 days. A third violation will be your last.

Moderation, like electrostatic filtration and spike protein recognition, doesn't require your respect in order to work.

Now this section here, this is absolutely insane.  Bro, you really should seek help.  I don't know what is worse, that you spent what had to be substantial time to look this crap up, or worse, these thoughts/feelings continue to simmer in your mind to where you had to basically spew them out like this.  Good grief.  You're so good at calling up everything I've ever written, please find the posts where I insulted you with name calling and abject disrespect and pent up venom like this?  Good luck.  I don't take message boards THAT seriously, and my comments on film and television are meant to be flippant, considering this is a FAN BOARD. 

If I showed this thread to the co-creators of the series this forum is about, they would absolutely VOMIT.  To say nothing of the fact that one of them is a full-on conspiracy believer who wouldn't agree with most of what you post here, not that it matters.

PS: There won't be a third violation because I already stated I am done discussing "public health."  It also has no business being in an American Politics thread either, if you're such a strict moderator, it should have been put on its own thread which I could then IGNORE.  If you would like to start a public health sub-forum or a board of your own, by all means.

I don't know what to say, had no idea you were THIS pissed off.  I'm not here to fight, especially considering I go to sleep and forget what I even write here, until I check the board again days or a week or so later.

When you declare that only sexual abuse is really child abuse, you insult me as a survivor of abuse. When you declare masks and vaccines don't work, you insult my profession where I try to make confusing health care information simple and comprehensible.

When you falsely claim I called N95 masks the only ones worth wearing, you insult my honour as a mask enthusiast who has spent a lot of time learning how these filters work.

I'm not flippant about medical information that could, if put into practice, affect someone's health and well-being. I'm not flippant in discussing child abuse and trauma. I'm not flippant about sex trafficking. No one should be.

You once wrote, "I didn't realize this forum about a television show was in reality a graduate level discussion board at Johns Hopkins." If we're going to discuss public health here, then any discussion should absolutely match the integrity and standard found in a Johns Hopkins conference room.

RussianCabbieLotteryFan asked me how long masks stay effective, how to reuse them, and how to store them. I did not answer his questions off the top of my head. I didn't skim studies and come back with barely-understood, half-remembered, cherry-picked data that validated my life's choices. I got in touch with some engineers and aerosol specialists, reached out to nurses and doctors, wrote up an entry-level set of responses, and then I asked them to check my work.

When Slider_Quinn21 asked me what masks I'd recommend, I didn't just throw out a random brand name based on whatever I happened to remember. I looked for a mask model and a specific brand that had actually been reviewed by an aerosol specialist with particle measurement equipment, and the mask I recommended to him was the one protecting my mother.

Brad and Rob deserved my best effort at getting them actionable answers in an understandable format because they had the humility to ask and I had the humility to approach my betters and request their guidance to bring back here. And I went to the effort because this is a subject that can potentially impact human life. Human life matters. Brad and Rob's lives matter. Everyone who reads this board matters to me whether it's 10 or two or one. I would never write words that would steer them into danger or be reckless with their safety.

When you are cavalier and careless in posting about masks and vaccines, you are saying that human life doesn't matter to you and that the lives of the people on this board especially don't matter to you. That's what I find more insulting than any epithet or term of scorn.

Grizzlor wrote:

[Public health] has no business being in an American Politics thread

This remark is completely wrong. Public health is the matter of health as relating to the general population, a matter that is affected and managed by public policy and public policy is a matter of politics. And anyone who discusses public health in a public setting anywhere should ensure that what they say never steers anyone into risk or danger.

Feel free to take that up with the co-creators of the show if you feel the need to associate your comments with whatever you perceive to be higher authorities.

I am perfectly aware that Tracy Torme shares your personal lifestyle choices on masks and vaccines, but he didn't lie about their efficacy in his podcast appearances, he just said he wasn't committed to using them while noting that his sister was "extreme" about using them.

Grizzlor wrote:

I am done discussing "public health."

To truly discuss something is to engage in earnest fashion by offering facts and coherent perspectives for sincere discourse with standards of factuality and reason to genuinely engage with ideas and information. And by that standard, you were done a long time ago.

2,212 (edited by Grizzlor 2023-12-05 23:34:03)

ireactions wrote:

I'm not flippant about medical information that could, if put into practice, affect someone's health and well-being. I'm not flippant in discussing child abuse and trauma. I'm not flippant about sex trafficking. No one should be.

When you are cavalier and careless in posting about masks and vaccines, you are saying that human life doesn't matter to you and that the lives of the people on this board especially don't matter to you. That's what I find more insulting than any epithet or term of scorn.

To truly discuss something is to engage in earnest fashion by offering verified facts and honest perspectives for sincere discourse with standards of factuality and reason to genuinely engage with ideas and information. And by that standard, you were done a long time ago.

I did not know you were in the health profession, again, I don't read every post, I probably miss 75% of them.  I honestly thought you just followed the subject passionately out of your own interests.  I tried to rebut with actual examples, which I doubt you bothered reading or discussing, including studies on the efficacy of masks against COVID-19 on the larger society.  You could have read my link, and explained how I misinterpreted something.  Instead, you chose to call me a liar, and declared everything I think is wrong and untrue.  Which is kind of impossible, since these concepts are not cut and dry, there is room for nuance and discussion, and even if we agree on facts, that doesn't mean we have to agree on what to do next.  This is what public health officials do after all.  You're arguing that certain masks work and work well, I am not denying that, nor have I ever questioned your research on individual mask types, have I not?  Forget whether your mask, being worn at all times, around any human being(s), is going to stop viruses.  That's never been my point. You can quote the effect in a lab on the number of particles that get stopped, etc.  I was asking about long term studies on their effectiveness.  It's like saying the seat belt will protect you.  Okay, but you can still die in a crash wearing one.  Obviously there's so much data available from decades of accidents that you can say the belts would save you in a high percent of the time.  With masks, as the link I shared seemed to indicate, there's no consensus.  It's possible the studies just plain had too many flaws as a result of poor controls.  It's very possible you would be proven 99% correct, I just want to see better consensus and IMO we don't have it. 

I would never claim a vaccine does nothing for any recipient, more words in my mouth.  My parents got flu and pneumonia vaccines recently.  I didn't tell them what I thought of that, it's their decision.  I literally said how flu vaccines are decided on.  I did not say RANDOM, I said HEDGE, and you said "forecasting" which is the same damn thing.  But I'm the liar.  Your series of COVID-19 shots may work terrific for you.  For someone else, they may still get sick.  As you said, the vaccine is supposed to charge up the immune system.  It's not a guarantee, it's simply a choice you make, or that I don't make.  I simply would like to see continued research on the efficacy, that's all.  Vaccinated versus unvaccinated with these subsequent shots.  Is that happening?  I legitimately want to know.  The drug companies said Sudafed Cold worked, until professionals decided to study it, and found it had no observable benefit, and the product got shelved.  Medical science is far, far from certainty.  I would repeat the question, if I take COVID vaccine after vaccine every 6 months or whatever the gap is, will I be 20x or whatever less likely to get serious COVID symptoms?  NOT lab results, actual studies with a proper pool of candidates, over the course of the vaccine's period.  You say no vaccines will ever get made then, I disagree.  Many have been judged safe and effective for decades.  mRNA work is very new, and though I don't fear them like true anti-vaxxers, I simply want to know if they are really up to snuff over time.  The research should be done to disprove the Jenny McCarthy's, not ME!  I'm not the one standing in the way.

Whether it's masks or vaccines, you keep putting words in my mouth.  I never said they don't all work.  Some work to a far lesser degree by admission of medical experts, and there comes a point at which you can argue, your protection is so low there is really little benefit.  Even Fauci has said this!  Continued COVID vaccines, will they boost your immune system?  I would say probably yes.  To what degree, do they know?  If a person is void of compromised health/immune system, will that person greatly benefit from vaccine vs. the side effects or potential lack of individual's immune response?  That's the efficacy equation is it not?  You can call that "cavalier," but the vaccines have had negative reactions in people particularly younger people, vs. the extremely low risk of those under 30 to acquire serious COVID symptoms.  I am not questioning if vaccines DO something for you, I am only questioning to what extent, and whether you NEED them to!  COVID vaccinations and masking are at an all-time low, and the disease is what?  Few even test for it.  I could list 3-5 other viruses people I know have gotten sick of this fall so far, not that. 

I don't think I should be silenced for being skeptical and simply asking these questions and asking for actual proof rather than take the drug company's word for it.  I was given medication as a child, which resulted in permanent damage several years later.  Again, because they did it without doing the God Damn research, and once they did, they pulled the drug!!!!  All of which was based on misdiagnosis, so excuse me if I take most of what "professional medical policy officials" declare with a grain of salt.  Not you, the ones in the lab coats.  I would have loved to have THAT discussion, but instead I was called names and "moderated" as if I were My Pillow Guy spouted lies for the purpose of politics.  That was my lament from the first response two weeks ago, and the same with masks.  The public health strategy was handled unjustly in my view, and I was (as I'm sure old posts will show) in support of it at the time!  People should not have been forced to take shots or wear masks, nor should the economy and education system been shut down for nearly a year.  You can call that cavalier but I call that freedom.  I did not come to that realization lightly.  I saw a lot of people being vilified for their skepticism online, fired, had their lives ruined.  Should never have happened.  I was one of those with the pitchforks, too.  Lot of guilt over that.

Hope I'm not in "violation" for expressing my viewpoint and continued medical/pharma skepticism in this post.

I find this post reasonable and fair in its skepticism and nuance. Masks protect. But how much do they protect? COVID-19 vaccines reduce the risk of severe illness, hospitalization and death. But how much do they reduce the risk?

Flu shots statistically reduce illness by 40 - 60 percent, but is that reducing infection, severe illness, hospitalization or death?

Given the range of flu strains and the limitations of flu shots and the variability of each recipient of vaccines, what protection can we say is generally received by vaccinations that is an applicable answer to the overall population?

I find these questions appropriate and important. I find these questions deserving of consideration and response.

I am going to note them and bring them to my superiors and betters for review and come back to you with a summary of their responses. I may not have a response until next week.

In terms of villifying people who don't mask or vaccinate... in 2021, anyone who didn't vaccinate was endangering people's lives because the vaccine was so effective on the original strain of COVID-19. The situation has changed. In 2023, the updated vaccine no longer stops you or others getting sick; it merely keeps the vaccinated individual from severely ill, keeping them out of the hospital or the grave. The unvaccinated person with COVID poses as much threat to me as the vaccinated person with COVID.

Furthermore, mask technology and availability has improved significantly. In 2020, surgical masks were what was largely available. Surgical masks block outgoing particles but lack the seal to block incoming particles. An unmasked person posed a threat to those who conscientiously masked. But since 2021, KF94 and KN95 masks with a good seal protect in both directions. When I wear a KF94, whether or not anyone around me is wearing a mask is irrelevant; my mask is blocking incoming and outgoing particles.

As a result, an unvaccinated person without a mask is no longer a bioterrorist as much as they are someone walking in a rainstorm and refusing to wear a raincoat or an umbrella, which is not a crime or a threat to anyone. A mask and a vaccination protect the individual who has them, but the unmasked and unvaccinated pose no additional danger to the vaccinated mask-wearer.

I think that has put vaccination in the realm of personal choice rather than public duty. But how much risk is the unvaccinated non-masker incurring? What complications are they facing should they have only long-term T-cell protection in a full-viral load exposure?

I am going to look into this and get back to you.

2,214 (edited by ireactions 2023-12-17 09:55:28)

Moderator Note: This poster has made an error, claiming that 'healthy' people cannot become seriously ill with flu or COVID (although the latter was qualified with uncertainty). The moderator has consulted with some medical doctors and the consensus is that 'healthy' people can become severely sick and hospitalized with flu and COVID, and updated vaccinations significantly reduce the risk.

This poster has also made an error in evaluating mask studies, claiming that variable results in risk reduction mean masks should not be considered effective. Consultation with medical doctors has provided the view: given the proven mechanics of electrostatic filtration to catch viruses, mask studies with variable results are not no results, but rather a spectrum of results due to variables (whether or not the masks were ASTM/KF94/N95 certified and worn properly of consistently.

From a medical perspective, healthy people are encouraged to be within a spectrum of safety via vaccinations and wearing certified masks with a good seal. A medically-informed perspective does not disregard a range of results as no results or ignore the underlying principles of electrostatic masks.

While the BOTH of us might have considered an unvaccinated unmasked person in March 2021 a modern day "Typhoid Mary," there are massive Constitutional questions that arise from that.  Public duty or not, I think had that case gone to the US Supreme Court, especially the Notre Dame infused one now, the government loses.  Trampling a person's civil rights, in lieu of the public good, boy that is a slippery slope.  It's Orwellian, particularly when dissent is silenced.  Really doesn't matter now, in terms of 2020-2021.  The problem is we still did not know how "dangerous" that person was, as bizarre as that sounds.  I can recall the two dopes in NJ (we have many) who got arrested repeatedly for opening their gym against state laws.  Could the state's Dept of Health prove running the gym (while masked by the way) was X.XXX a public health menace?  Of course they couldn't.  Now, you have more and more parents who refuse to allow their children to be vaccinated for measles or mumps, which is beyond stupid, as those vaccines are like 99.9% effective.  I would concur, when the possibility existed that the vaccine might actually stop transmission, to refuse injection would have been a problem.  Wound up not mattering.

I have always trusted your evaluation of masks.  Still, we both know 90+% of people were not and will not wear the respirators that would "block all those particles."  Even still, the question that was never fully answered by the CDC or anyone else, did the masking truly DO much of anything?  Or did the virus beat the masks as it seemed to beat the vaccine in terms of transmission?  They were supposed to evaluate this for the "next contagion" but as I referenced, they didn't.  In the hoopla of the pandemic, procedures weren't accurately followed and most of the data is inconclusive.  That's all I was getting at with I guess it's QuinnSldr who wears a mask frequently.  That him wearing it versus not wearing it, if he's a healthy individual, may actually be of slight difference.  Maybe you're 60% right, and I'm 40% right, I just don't think the data came out of COVID unscathed.

If the immune system is functioning properly, you're going to ward off most illness without an issue.  Same with the flu, a healthy person unvaccinated is very unlikely to be hospitalized by the flu.  It's been around forever, and there's herd immunity.  I personally believe there is the same for COVID, though I wouldn't declare that at this point.  Like I said, even medical professionals, well meaning, don't know what they don't know.  Hence the opioid crisis, where a drug company lied for decades, to regulators and doctors, about what the substance did.  I don't view the vaccine scientists nefariously as Purdue pharma, but we have to accept that they have financial reasons to push these products.  They might be the right reasons.  In the end, part of the reason vaccination was resistant was that the Biden campaign had badgered Trump about the virus numbers, won the election, then had to own their own numbers which wound up being worse.  They should have stopped counting infections, and just focused on hospitalizations and deaths.  The vaccines worked wonders on those numbers.  This is what happens when you politicize a pandemic response, which the stupid Democrats did.  All they needed to sink Trump was to focus on how he lied, and the number dead due to his chaotic response, including fucking over "blue states" because he didn't like the Governor's which he absolutely did. 

I also feel strongly the gain of function debate, nor the lab leak in Wuhan, are settled.  Thanks to the Chinese dictatorship, we may never know on the viral origin.  Gain of function has been paused in the past, with continued highly respected critics asking to do it again.  Some argue it actually isn't worthwhile research, even if it's overall safe, and serves little value in preparing for future pandemics.  They question the ethics in conducting it simply to get research money.  Misappropriated research in order to basically steal public funding has been getting worse and worse. 

Unfortunately, these questions get politically loaded, and that's it.  Republicans wish to ban (legally they really can't) gain of function.  Is their reasoning sound?  Them!>!>  It's political, but there are still plenty of unbiased medical researchers who support that position.  Dems will probably oppose, because the other side wants it, without I think really evaluating the subject.  30-40 years ago, these questions would be debated by experts first, then a Congressional report would be rendered with their consensus.  Now, forget it, it's a unworkable disaster.

Grizzlor wrote:

did the masking truly DO much of anything?  Or did the virus beat the masks as it seemed to beat the vaccine in terms of transmission?  They were supposed to evaluate this for the "next contagion" but as I referenced, they didn't.  In the hoopla of the pandemic, procedures weren't accurately followed and most of the data is inconclusive.  That's all I was getting at with I guess it's QuinnSldr who wears a mask frequently.  That him wearing it versus not wearing it, if he's a healthy individual, may actually be of slight difference.  Maybe you're 60% right, and I'm 40% right, I just don't think the data came out of COVID unscathed.

Commenting on whether or not people wear masks properly or at all is an assessment of human behaviour and societal stigmas and attitudes to personal protective equipment. It is a tangent without bearing on whether or not masks work.

Saying masks don't work because people don't wear them properly or wear them at all is like saying Ford made a bad car because the driver ignored all traffic lights and road signs before crashing it or saying Hewlett-Packard made a bad laptop because the user filled it with spyware and viruses. A mask is not a mask wearer.

The question of QuinnSlidr's immune system is, to me, utterly irrelevant in the discussion of whether or not masks work. QuinnSlidr's BMI, bloodwork, white blood cell count, and daily average temperature for the last year have no relevance to filtration efficacy. QuinnSlidr could be an Olympic athlete or on his deathbed; that still has no effect on electrostatic particle capture.

Do masks work? It's a simple question with an obvious answer: if you wear an electrostatic mask that seals properly, that 95 percent filtration of 0.1 to 0.75 micron particles is obviously going to stop you from inhaling high levels of viral and bacterial particulate.

Raising the subject of people who don't wear masks properly or at all is not an indication of mask efficacy, but human ineptitude. Someone who cares to wear a mask is going to wear it and wear it properly.

What additional protection does a mask grant on a well-functioning immune system? That's a question worth looking into, so I'll return to it once I have some informed answers to share. Anecdotally: I used to get six colds a year. Ever since I started masking, I have had one cold in three years.

I'm afraid I don't currently have access to any experts on gain of function research and don't know who to ask about that.

TemporalFlux wrote:

I actually missed this, and I'm very sorry to hear that TF.  The present GOP doesn't want government that doesn't include legislating the bedroom.  They want to eliminate the rest of it, because it impedes their wealthy donors from taking advantage of the law and people, and impedes their ability to cheat.  My father was forced to retire from teaching when the slovenly former governor of NJ once took a blow torch to public education, and eliminated hundreds of jobs and programs. 

Slider_Quinn21 wrote:

(Please note that I still fully support Joe Biden and will do everything I can to get him elected.  My support hasn't wavered, and I think he's done a great job).

That being said, I'm still just surprised that we're here.  Biden talked in 2020 about being a one-term president and passing the baton on to someone else.  The Democrats won both chambers of Congress and the White House.  They had big names in Congress and in the Cabinet that they could've lifted up and popularized.  They could've given Kamala Harris work to make her more popular and likeable.

They had years to build a deep bench, and what do they have to show for it?  Gretchen Whitmer?  Gavin Newsom? 

Scary times.

In the age of social media, a poor public perception is like a dagger through the heart.  Biden has THREE major precption problems, and Hunter is not one of them...

1) Economy is expanding at record speed, BUT he gets no credit for it, because the public perception is he's to blame for the increased price of a Happy Meal.  I really don't know how to get around that for Biden, other than to blindly HOPE that the polls, which are awful on that subject, do not translate at the actual polls.  While it's true that Democrats have won some localized elections here and there, despite that, it's been against right wingers who are out to imprison women like it's 1669.  Much of the cost increases in everyday lives are actually a result of point number 2.  They have come out well in the labor strikes though, that's a positive. 

2) General perception of his administration being less than competent, with chaos reigning throughout the country.  Granted Trump's looked as buffoonish as they came.  Biden did weather the fervor over the Afghan exit, which was messy but 100% needed to happen.  He's currently being beaten up by the new age Left who equate Israel/Palestine as the struggle against apartheid was in South Africa, which is preposterous.  This is a result of religious fanaticism.  That will pass too.  One thing that may not pass is the border.  Biden has been IMO a complete and utter failure on the border.  It's just seething with DISORDER, and voters do not like disorder.  That brings nothing but anxiety, and he has refused to do anything about it, and has openly chastised critics that there's nothing wrong with the current mess.  Lastly we have the "woke Left" on the coasts who have undermined him every step of the way.  The endorsement of progressively violent and destructive BLM riots, Defund the Police resulting in untenable situations in Seattle and Portland akin to Escape from NY, to the rampant "zombie drug addict" filled streets of San Francisco, all the way to the utterly brainless bail reform of New York that's led to an explosion in VISIBLE crime.  The cessation of arrests for assault, shop lifting, and vandalism has led to costs for such destruction being passed onto the consumer.  That plus the seemingly inability to keep mentally ill violent people off the streets.  DISORDER and more disorder.  Will it pass?  I really don't know, because it's nonstop.  Even though crime is DOWN!!!  That's the crazy part, but again, you are inundated with crazy videos on social media and it's all people see.   They see the madness, they share it with friends/family, goes viral. 

3) Last one is of course his age and overall fitness.  He speaks, walks, and behaves like a very elderly man.  I think his critical thinking and moral center are rock solid, but people just don't appear to have faith in him for another four years.  He should have stepped aside 6 months ago.  I have no good thoughts on this.  He will be DESTROYED in the campaign next year.  I cannot even imagine an on stage debate, whether it's Trump or some other GOP.  I don't know how low his approval has to get before he caves and gets out.  At that point, I don't know what Democrats would do?  Their primary deadline rules are not grafted for that.  Huge mess. 

-- The only hope is that Trump gets convicted of felonies in one or more of these trials.  The Jan 6th DC trial is first.  He would need to lose that.  As much as the voters do not want Biden at his age, they would abhor a convicted felon far more.  At least you'd think.  I think most of the state polls remain within the margin of error, and Trump's % is nowhere near 50% so really it's still undecided.  However, if Trump comes out of the trials victorious or somewhat even, that's big trouble.  Remember, his MAGA support is that of a deity, so he has that % confirmed.  If a % either shifts to him from Joe, or they don't vote at all (prob better chance of that), BAD. 

If I'm the DNC, I blanket and I mean blanket TV, radio, print, social media with clips from January 6th, plus the abortion stuff.  Yes, it's usually poor strategy to promote what you're against rather than what you're for.  They can do some of that too, as most of Biden's economic platform is a good one.  Donald Trump is massively unpopular, and that may still prove to be his undoing, but I wouldn't take that bet right now.  Ugh, I think Andrew Cuomo could have muscled Biden into getting out of the way, but he got taken down by what has appeared to be highly iffy claims of being inappropriate.  The problem is a normal candidate could talk their way out of lower polls, but Biden is barely communicative without suffering gaffes and digging deeper holes.  He was insulated and hidden in 2020 and that won't work this time.

2,217 (edited by Slider_Quinn21 2023-12-06 10:02:51)

I generally agree with pretty much everything Grizzlor said.  To me, I think the Democrats either need to treat this like a do or die election, or they're going to lose (or make it way too close for comfort).

I listened to a podcast that was talking about non-college-educated workers.  That's the meat of Trump's voting block right now, and they're a ton of people that voted Democrat historically (as recently as Obama).  This is where Biden needs to win people back.  I don't think the majority of them are MAGA or *want* to vote for Trump, but they feel abandoned by the Democratic Party.  If the Democrats get any percentage of those people back, Biden wins in a landslide and the pre-2016 talks of the Republicans never having another president again are back.

The problem is that the Democrats are targeting two different groups with two different agendas.  Democrats appeal to working-class people because they support entitlements and unions and labor and all that.  The problem is, once they started appealing to college educated people, they shifted some / a lot of their focus to social progressive issues and things like climate change.  These are things that are important to me, but working class people can't worry about carbon in 2050 if they can't put food on the table today.

And here's the thing: a Republican strategist on the podcast could not point to a single policy that Republicans face that appeal to the working class.  It's all simply a vibe that Democrats are elitist and care more about transgenderism and electric cars than the economy.

So I think the things Grizzlor said are a good start, but I think it needs to go way further.

Please note: I'm not talking about any of this as a long-term policy shift or anything like that.  This is basically an emergency lever designed to to keep Trump out.  If we need to keep Trump at any cost, we need to mean it.

1. Biden needs to get as many of the non-MAGA working class back as possible.  I don't know if that means passing policies / signing executive orders / passing subsidies / whatever to get prices to come down, they should do that.  Basically anything short of another stimulus bill.  Obviously, further inflation is the opposite of what they want, but they need to be actively doing something.

2. The US is drilling for more oil than we have in a long time.  They need to be blitzing the right wing media with that as much as they can.  Whatever right-friendly people they can get in front of people on Fox and the fringy networks, they need to do it.  We are drilling.  We are not dependent on foreign oil.  We are doing what you want to get gas prices down.  They don't have to do any more on it, but they need to tell the right people that it's happening.

3. Whatever the left's position on the border is, they need to move to the right.  Right now, Ukraine aid is being held up because of border arguments.  Stop it.  Biden needs to be front and center on whatever "border security" means.  And, honestly, the person who needs to be front and center is Kamala Harris.  The Biden administration is legally required to build new stretches of wall on the border - Kamala needs to be there celebrating it.  She needs to put her prosecutor hat on and do press events at the border standing by border agents and talking about how criminals can't be allowed to cross the border.  Even if you don't think criminals are crossing the border, she needs to get out and say it.  It's pandering but we need pandering.

4. Biden and Harris need to stand against extremism on both sides.  I don't know how they walk that line, but there needs to be some sort of stand against social progressiveness.  You can't push too hard, but they need to speak out against whatever "woke" is.  I'm 100% for LGBT freedoms and discussions about race, but it's 100% not the time right now.  Let the next guy push that.  Biden needs to display for the next 10 months that he's focused on the things that are important to blue collar workers, and gender-affirming care shouldn't be on that list.

5. I don't know how he does this one, but he needs to embrace the grandpa look.  He speaks slow and he looks frail.  That isn't going to change in the next year.  But people love their grandpa.  Where Trump is cruel and angry, Joe needs to be kind and loveable.  I'm terrified of a debate between Biden and Trump because Trump is going to appear more pulled together and with it.

Again, this isn't a long-term strategy.  I don't want the Democratic Party to move to the right.  I want Joe Biden to move to the right.  I want Joe Biden to change what the Democratic Party's perception is.  It isn't a party that only cares about climate change and social issues. And I don't want it to stop caring about climate change and social issues, but they will not win the election on climate change and social issues.  They'll win it with the support of blue collar workers that voted Democrat 8 years ago.  And that's going to mean being a little less socially liberal and a lot more traditionally Democrat.

In 2025, go back to whatever you were doing.  Biden has done good work and the college educated people that have joined the left have done some good work.  The bills passed by Biden in his first term have been great.  But no matter how to the right Biden goes, he'll never go as far as Trump will go.  Abandoning social issues will not do the damage to LGBT/POC that a Trump presidency will do.  Devaluing climate change will not do the damage to the climate that a Trump presidency will do.

Make a choice.  Do you want to continue down the path you're on and maybe win?  Or do you want to run a meat and potatoes down-the-center campaign that appeals to a huge part of the country that you've lost and almost certainly win?  Is Trump the greatest danger that we face?  And if so, are you willing to do what it takes to beat him?

ireactions wrote:
Grizzlor wrote:

did the masking truly DO much of anything?  Or did the virus beat the masks as it seemed to beat the vaccine in terms of transmission?  They were supposed to evaluate this for the "next contagion" but as I referenced, they didn't.  In the hoopla of the pandemic, procedures weren't accurately followed and most of the data is inconclusive.  That's all I was getting at with I guess it's QuinnSldr who wears a mask frequently.  That him wearing it versus not wearing it, if he's a healthy individual, may actually be of slight difference.  Maybe you're 60% right, and I'm 40% right, I just don't think the data came out of COVID unscathed.

Commenting on whether or not people wear masks properly or at all is an assessment of human behaviour and societal stigmas and attitudes to personal protective equipment. It is a tangent without bearing on whether or not masks work.

Saying masks don't work because people don't wear them properly or wear them at all is like saying Ford made a bad car because the driver ignored all traffic lights and road signs before crashing it or saying Hewlett-Packard made a bad laptop because the user filled it with spyware and viruses. A mask is not a mask wearer.

The question of QuinnSlidr's immune system is, to me, utterly irrelevant in the discussion of whether or not masks work. QuinnSlidr's BMI, bloodwork, white blood cell count, and daily average temperature for the last year have no relevance to filtration efficacy. QuinnSlidr could be an Olympic athlete or on his deathbed; that still has no effect on electrostatic particle capture.

Do masks work? It's a simple question with an obvious answer: if you wear an electrostatic mask that seals properly, that 95 percent filtration of 0.1 to 0.75 micron particles is obviously going to stop you from inhaling high levels of viral and bacterial particulate.

Raising the subject of people who don't wear masks properly or at all is not an indication of mask efficacy, but human ineptitude. Someone who cares to wear a mask is going to wear it and wear it properly.

What additional protection does a mask grant on a well-functioning immune system? That's a question worth looking into, so I'll return to it once I have some informed answers to share. Anecdotally: I used to get six colds a year. Ever since I started masking, I have had one cold in three years.

I'm afraid I don't currently have access to any experts on gain of function research and don't know who to ask about that.

All the gain of function junk is, is a right wing attack on Dr. Fauci, and has no basis in reality. It's based on disinformation and lies at best, and an attack on a national hero at its worst.

Any right wing extremist who continues to scream about it is full-on lying.

Case in point:

The repeated claim that Fauci lied to Congress about ‘gain-of-function’ research

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics … -research/

Even now, it’s not clear whether the research funded by EcoHealth in China amounted to gain of function. When the Intercept obtained EcoHealth documents in September, seven of 11 scientists who are virologists or work in adjacent fields told the Intercept that the work appeared to meet NIH’s criteria for gain-of-function research. Obviously, it’s a matter of dispute within the scientific community.

But Cotton claimed NIH admitted that it had funded gain-of-function research. That’s wrong. No such admission appears in the letter, and NIH officials continue to insist that the EcoHealth work using NIH funds did not constitute gain-of-function research.

In 2014, gain-of-function research was paused for three years as the U.S. government set up a case-by-case review process to oversee funding, known as the Potential Pandemic Pathogen Care and Oversight (P3CO) framework. Under that framework, funding of enhanced potential pandemic pathogens would receive greater scrutiny if research was intended to create such pathogens and if the virus was highly transmissible and could create a pandemic among humans.

There has long been criticism that the P3CO framework had too many loopholes. But the EcoHealth grant, awarded in 2014, does not show that it intended to create an enhanced pathogen or that its experiment posed any harm to humans.

“As sometimes occurs in science, this was an unexpected result of the research, as opposed to something that the researchers set out to do,” Lawrence A. Tabak, NIH principal deputy director, wrote in his letter to Congress dated Oct. 20. “Regardless, the viruses being studied under this grant were genetically very distant from SARS-CoV-2,” which causes covid-19.

Now let’s turn to the experiment itself, which involved the use of three chimeric (artificial, laboratory-generated) viruses that are capable of replicating efficiently in human cells with the angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (ACE2), the protein that provides the entry point for the coronavirus to hook into and infect human tissue. The experiment relied on “humanized” mice, meaning they were given an ACE2 receptor that mimicked the human form. (The mice were otherwise unchanged.)

=================================
skip to summary
=================================

The Pinocchio Test

EcoHealth’s research has come under increased scrutiny after more details about its work in China have been revealed, either through congressional or journalistic pressure. The NIH letter, flawed though it may be, indicates the federal government is taking a closer look, too.

But we see no reason to change the Two Pinocchio rating we awarded Paul. There is a split in the scientific community about what constitutes gain-of-function research. To this day, NIH says this research did not meet the criteria — a stance that is not an outlier in the scientific community. Indeed, it appears as if EcoHealth halted the experiment as soon as it seemed to veer in that direction.

Meanwhile, Cotton and Cruz are spinning the letter as confirming what it does not say. They are welcome to offer an opinion about its meaning. But, so far, it’s not a fact that NIH has admitted funding gain-of-function research. So they also earn Two Pinocchios.

SQ21, everything you wrote is excellent and appropriate.  HOWEVER, you are asking the American public to delve into topics and connect dots and understand nuance?  Oh boy, that's going to be a big ask.  That goes back to perception, and Biden loses that battle every time.  His communicative skills don't exist anymore, and Kamala Harris is atrocious and more negatively viewed than he is!  He absolutely BLEW it choosing her over Amy Klobuchar.  Hell, Buttegieg would be more formidable than her, but she "checked" a box (minority female) instead of being evaluated for potential campaign performance.  This is where Biden fails.  He's plenty capable of being President, despite the jerks who make fun of his age, but he is totally incapable of campaigning.  It's going to be an utter train wreck. 

Biden is getting destroyed in polling on pocket book issues, and that is what drives people in national campaigns.  It's "the economy stupid," and it always is, especially for the sliver of independent voters.  The DNC have focused on the women of the suburbs with their messaging.  They still despise Donald Trump, and I do not expect them to start moving en masse to him.  That being said, when you question blue collar outreach, I think Biden has made inroads in the upper Midwest, but that has not helped him in AZ or GA, where he's now behind.  He can win without them if he runs the table with WI, MI, PA, I think (haven't done the math in head).  The perception, as each issue has arisen, is that Biden is feeble and has handled things badly.  When in fact most of these issues were directly caused by TRUMP!!!  It just doesn't take much to swing from the slight Biden state wins in 2020 to losing those states.  Not much at all, and young minority men do not like him.  Whether they vote is another story, of course.  That doesn't even get into how badly Trump's clan will attempt to literally steal the election again, given how many of the barriers in 2020 have been whittled away. 

QuinnSlidr, I will accept your explanation on gain of function.  Tom Cotton is worthless.  I appreciate the response, my anxiety on the subject is a lot less now.  Unfortunately, I am NOT the general public, they are stubborn and lazy, and not as easily swayed by proof, to make the accusations go away. 

I read that Fauci will testify before Congress.  Sadly he will be grilled like he were "Michael Corleone," and is it will be opportunity for grandstanding by the elected officials only.  I never believed Fauci lied to Congress in the first place.  He was employed as a bureaucrat and spokesman, but like the legions of other officials, he stood by and watched Trump lie to the public.  I would put him in with Gen Mattis or John Kelly, men who supposedly took an oath to the Constitution, and they all were in dereliction of duty.  All of them.  They should have each resigned and made such a public stink of it, that the public would have turned on Trump well before November 2020.  Yeah, yeah, they all said staying was more important, to keep Trump in check.  Nonsense, he went haywire regardless, and their silence (well after leaving) was cowardly, not heroic.  I could be too hard on Fauci, not sure, but inject bleach into your veins or UV rays or whatever that nonsense was, he rolled his eyes.  The government officials of yesteryear would have stepped down and berated a corrupt superior.  The number of people who refused vaccines, and were in poor health, because of King MAGA, was unfortunate for them (many died/suffered), not for the rest of us.  I guess he did the best he could, still, he was a spokesman, not a decision maker, and his "resignation" would have spoke volumes about how much of a ass hat Trump was during 2020.  We "lucked out" that Biden won after all.

2,220 (edited by QuinnSlidr 2023-12-06 12:57:58)

There is one big fact that polling ignores, and that's the fact that the bottom 3 generations will now have the most control and power in voting for 2024, and this terrifies republicans. So they are doing everything they can to push every single right wing lie out the door on social media. So, you can't trust a single thing a right winger says.

This means that younger and far more progressive folks will have the most say in the 2024 election.

Hopefully, they know it.

So, it's a good thing that polls don't win elections and voters do.

EDIT to add an example - Case in point: polls said that Trump was going to win 2020. Aren't we glad that voters win elections over polls?

Two-thirds of top executives say Trump will be reelected in 2020, business survey reveals

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/13/trump-w … veals.html

Gallup poll: Majority of Americans believe Trump will win November election

https://www.wtxl.com/news/election-2020 … r-election